A Note on the Ideal Mouth Width and the Hyperbolic Interpretation Thereof

Deleted member 656

Deleted member 656

C'est la Guerre
To begin with, everyone agrees that a wider mouth than average is ideal. It's a basic dimorphic feature and is generally symptomatic of well developed maxilla.

It appears to me that there are two prevailing understandings of what the ideal mouth width is for any particular individual.

1. That the ideal mouth width is as wide as one's interpupillary distance, or as close as possible to.
  2. That the ideal mouth width is 1.618 times the width of one's alar base, following the golden ratio.
First it ought to be stated that the average adult male has a mouth width of around 50 mm, as per FaceBase;

In addition, the standard deviations vary based on age group but generally fall around the 3.5 mm mark.

It has also been established that the average adult male's interpupillary distance is around 64 mm;

So to address the first understanding of the ideal mouth width - that one's mouth width ought to be as wide as his interpupillary distance - one with the average male IPD of 64 mm would need a mouth width that was four standard deviations above average. That translates to approximately 1 man in 31,574. Stop for a moment and imagine how absurd that is. Assuming you had an even greater IPD such as 67.5 mm, which is close to Barrett's measurement, the ideal mouth width would be five standard deviations above average. That translates to 1 man in 3,488,556.

Are we supposed to believe the ideal mouth width is Joker tier? Are we supposed to be Willem Dafoemaxing? I think not.

The second understanding is a little more straightforward because it suffers from the same issue as all other ratios.

When taken in isolation, the ratio does not hold true if the width of your alar base deviates meaningfully from the average.

The average male's alar base is around 36 mm in width, as per FaceBase;

And with that being so, the ideal mouth ought to be around 58 mm in width to fulfill the ratio.

Taking a quick detour, I was recently contacted by @Pendejo, who wrote this high effort thread on mouth widening;

At the time he believed in the first understanding - that the ideal mouth width is more or less the same as one's IPD, and he sent me this picture of Gandy, whom we all know has a wide (and for most near ideal insofar as width is concerned) mouth, and asked me to measure his mouth width to confirm this hypothesis:

This is quite a simple thing to do. You can learn how by viewing the cached version of this Lookism thread:

I measured his mouth width and it came out to around 54 mm. I then measured his IPD for reference, which we know to be around 68.3 mm:

It came out to 63.8 mm. That means there's some distortion with the picture.

That said, 68.3 / 63.8 = 1.07053291536

So I then multiplied 54 by 1.07053291536, which gives you about 57.8 mm.

He's smiling slightly in the picture, which probably increases it by a milimeter or so. From this I feel pretty confident saying his mouth width is in the 55 - 58 mm range. That puts Gandy at (most probably) a little under 2 standard deviations above average, or around 1 in 10.

It's a wide mouth but it's a long way from 68.3 mm, and you can only imagine how absurd it would look if it were to be that wide. That's almost two times the distance between his mouth width and the average man's farther than it is already.

Tl;dr, unless you want to look comical your mouth should not be as wide as your IPD. The 1.618 ratio will give you a very wide looking mouth if you have a normal nose, and a comically wide mouth if you have a wide nose. Around the mid 50's and you're in great territory and a 50 mm mouth isn't as awful as people tend to think.

I hope I've made this coherent.

@FatJattMofo

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Looks234, AsGoodAsItGets, AscendingHero and 17 others
will read rn
how the fuck do you open the lookism thread?.

also just measured irl its 2.1 inches

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 656
how the fuck do you open the lookism thread?.
You'd need to find it via Google and then left click on the small green arrow next to the page name and clicked 'Cached' afaia.

• +1
Reactions: MrGlutton
can't find that thread. tbh dude when I smile it looks good and its around 3 inches then. I feel like ill have to figure out some point inbetween because rn I think im near ideal despite the wide nose and ippd
@Alarico8

• +1
can't find that thread. tbh dude when I smile it looks good and its around 3 inches then. I feel like ill have to figure out some point inbetween because rn I think im near ideal despite the wide nose and ippd
@Alarico8
If you're actually 2.1 inches then you're fine. A little wider would be nice but it's insignificant at that point.

i have a wide palate but narrow mouth

If you're actually 2.1 inches then you're fine. A little wider would be nice but it's insignificant at that point.
ded srs? it looks kinda narrow tho imo. just a bit tho.

just measured again its actually 2 inches .

it looks good when at 6 cm imo.

• +1
  1. That the ideal mouth width is 1.618 times the width of one's alar base, following the golden ratio.
alar base or the entire nose ?

• +1
You'd need to find it via Google and then left click on the small green arrow next to the page name and clicked 'Cached' afaia.
THANK YOU VERY much for this

• +1
80 % of inter molar distance

• +1
alar base or the entire nose ?
Alar base is usually widest part of the nose anyway
ded srs? it looks kinda narrow tho imo. just a bit tho.

just measured again its actually 2 inches .

it looks good when at 6 cm imo.
6 cm would be giga tier. Wider would look better because your nose is wide, but your nose would no doubt benefit from being narrower also.

Alar base is usually widest part of the nose anyway

6 cm would be giga tier. Wider would look better because your nose is wide, but your nose would no doubt benefit from being narrower also.
wider than 6 cm ? or wider than 2 inches?.

tbh ill have to see what happens. im suspect of rhino and tbh id rather not do stuff like that. the only rhino id do is to sharpen the tip. aparantly the alar base is reduced during fat loss t

• +1

tbh ill have to see what happens. im suspect of rhino and tbh id rather not do stuff like that. the only rhino id do is to sharpen the tip. aparantly the alar base is reduced during fat loss t
Wider than 2 inches. 6 cm is on the wider side of ideal.

• +1
Reactions: FatJattMofo
Wider than 2 inches. 6 cm is on the wider side of ideal.
lifefuel tbh. stretching and maybe even palate widening could get me to that

• +1
gandys mouth width is 55 mm according to headsupdisplay's database of measurements

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Pendejo and Deleted member 656
gandys mouth width is 55 mm according to headsupdisplay's database of measurements

Quality contribution

I underestimated the impact of smiling. It only goes to hammer home the point harder.

• Woah
Reactions: Deleted member 3043
To begin with, everyone agrees that a wider mouth than average is ideal. It's a basic dimorphic feature and is generally symptomatic of well developed maxilla.

It appears to me that there are two prevailing understandings of what the ideal mouth width is for any particular individual.

1. That the ideal mouth width is as wide as one's interpupillary distance, or as close as possible to.
  2. That the ideal mouth width is 1.618 times the width of one's alar base, following the golden ratio.
First it ought to be stated that the average adult male has a mouth width of around 50 mm, as per FaceBase;

In addition, the standard deviations vary based on age group but generally fall around the 3.5 mm mark.

It has also been established that the average adult male's interpupillary distance is around 64 mm;

So to address the first understanding of the ideal mouth width - that one's mouth width ought to be as wide as his interpupillary distance - one with the average male IPD of 64 mm would need a mouth width that was four standard deviations above average. That translates to approximately 1 man in 31,574. Stop for a moment and imagine how absurd that is. Assuming you had an even greater IPD such as 67.5 mm, which is close to Barrett's measurement, the ideal mouth width would be five standard deviations above average. That translates to 1 man in 3,488,556.

Are we supposed to believe the ideal mouth width is Joker tier? Are we supposed to be Willem Dafoemaxing? I think not.

The second understanding is a little more straightforward because it suffers from the same issue as all other ratios.

When taken in isolation, the ratio does not hold true if the width of your alar base deviates meaningfully from the average.

And with that being so, the ideal mouth ought to be around 58 mm in width to fulfill the ratio.

Taking a quick detour, I was recently contacted by @Pendejo, who wrote this high effort thread on mouth widening;

At the time he believed in the first understanding - that the ideal mouth width is more or less the same as one's IPD, and he sent me this picture of Gandy, whom we all know has a wide (and for most near ideal insofar as width is concerned) mouth, and asked me to measure his mouth width to confirm this hypothesis:

This is quite a simple thing to do. You can learn how by viewing the cached version of this Lookism thread:

I measured his mouth width and it came out to around 54 mm. I then measured his IPD for reference, which we know to be around 68.3 mm:

He's smiling slightly in the picture, which probably increases it by a milimeter or so. From this I feel pretty confident saying his mouth width is in the 55 - 58 mm range. That puts Gandy at (most probably) a little under 2 standard deviations above average, or around 1 in 10.

It's a wide mouth but it's a long way from 68.3 mm, and you can only imagine how absurd it would look if it were to be that wide. That's almost two times the distance between his mouth width and the average man's farther than it is already.

Tl;dr, unless you want to look comical your mouth should not be as wide as your IPD. The 1.618 ratio will give you a very wide looking mouth if you have a normal nose, and a comically wide mouth if you have a wide nose. Around the mid 50's and you're in great territory and a 50 mm mouth isn't as awful as people tend to think.

@FatJattMofo
I find the wider the mouth, the better, unless it looks very sketchy.
Yungblud

@FatJattMofo
i did all you did few months ago, and even calculating those of mm in pendejo thread jfl and that's why few weeks ago i said the link with ipd is false.
thanks to make it in a proper english

not a single word

How is the alar base reduced during fat loss? I thought the nose didn’t store fat

How is the alar base reduced during fat loss? I thought the nose didn’t store fat
pretty sure it does tbh.

there was a compilation of pictures showing people have it reduce. it might be because of better airflow or somr shit
its a megapic of people losing fat basically

pretty sure it does tbh.

there was a compilation of pictures showing people have it reduce. it might be because of better airflow or somr shit
its a megapic of people losing fat basically
Where can I find the pic

@FatJattMofo
DaBaby maxing is the only way

how come you're posting high IQ, quality stuff again bro?

• +1
Good thread, you explained it perfectly.

• +1