Anyone Know the best way to speak English Fluently

NoHabloIngles

NoHabloIngles

Bronze
I struggle sounding like a Mexican living in a Western state I often get abused a lot due to my voice and my looks. So I'm asking you guys on the best way to learn English fluently, so girls can finally respect me when approaching them.. I like White girls by the way.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401
http://www.antimoon.com/how/howtolearn.htm

The most important thing from my personal point of view is input. You need to watch a lot of tv shows,movies and Youtube videos in English in order to get better at speaking English. All of your internet activities should be primarily in English, because you will naturally learn the correct grammar tenses and words through it. You can easily look up words on dictionary websites and then review them occasionally. Your pronunciation will improve drastically by listening to the language, but it might not be enough to sound convincing. You are not a child anymore, therefore you have to make a concious effort to get a better accent. Try to imitate native speakers at home by saying sentences and mimicking their style of speech

https://apps.ankiweb.net/ Just put every new word into this flashcard software if you cannot recall words that well.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401, 11gaijin, Deleted member 147 and 1 other person
In terms of speaking, always pay attention to vowel sounds since those are what usually make a word sound the way it does.

As for grammar, in my opinion, native speakers tend to have horrible grammar because they've never really learned it methodically as if it was a second language. So once you get a grasp of the rules, then you have to learn when to break them at times, else your perfect grammar would be a give-away that it's not your native tongue.

• +1
The hardest part about english is the insane amount of sounds we have. For example, Japanese has something like 90 sounds total in their entire language, and I've heard we have over 2000 different sounds. English is a bastard language formulated from a bunch of other languages.

Additionally, given english's popularity, there are many different accents. Even in America, there's a ton: New York/Brooklyn, Boston, Southern, Midwest (the one I speak, objectively the best, this is what they teach foriegners), Texan, Cajun/Orleans, Southern California, mexican english, northwestern, canadian english, and many more. If you come from a non english country, there are english accents for them. For example, russians speaking english speak english very distinctly, just like indians speaking english and french speaking english.

Look into a midwestern american english, that's considered the most neutral.
As for grammar, in my opinion, native speakers tend to have horrible grammar because they've never really learned it methodically as if it was a second language. So once you get a grasp of the rules, then you have to learn when to break them at times, else your perfect grammar would be a give-away that it's not your native tongue.
Seconding this point as well. I am a grammar nazi, but most people aren't. You have to learn how to use it casually. doing this plus using the right vocabulary at the right time can really help you look like you're native.

• +1
I appreciate all the comments, I'll take a look after I'm finish eating my tacos.

• +1
Seconding this point as well. I am a grammar nazi, but most people aren't. You have to learn how to use it casually. doing this plus using the right vocabulary at the right time can really help you look like you're native.
He should learn English from the correct sources, because he will eventually integrate these flaws into his own speech if he is not careful. Language learning is basically pattern recognition. I would say he should surround himself with high quality content where a correct grammar is mandatory.

• +1
He should learn English from the correct sources, because he will eventually integrate these flaws into his own speech if he is not careful. Language learning is basically pattern recognition. I would say he should surround himself with high quality content where a correct grammar is mandatory.
I guess it depends on his goals.

If you want to fit in socially, you're gonna have to use "grammatically incorrect" phrases all the time. Everyone's favorite one is "I could care less". That statement makes no sense, but if you say it correctly as "I couldn't care less", people think you're an assburger.

I work with a guy who is from a former soviet territory and learned English as a second language. His English is really good overall, but he always full pronounces out "going to" instead of saying "gonna" like a native speaker most likely would. He's grammatically correct in this sense, but it makes him sound non-native.

If he just wants to be studious, then sure, learn it the right way.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and Deleted member 6
I guess it depends on his goals.

If you want to fit in socially, you're gonna have to use "grammatically incorrect" phrases all the time. Everyone's favorite one is "I could care less". That statement makes no sense, but if you say it correctly as "I couldn't care less", people think you're an assburger.

I work with a guy who is from a former soviet territory and learned English as a second language. His English is really good overall, but he always full pronounces out "going to" instead of saying "gonna" like a native speaker most likely would. He's grammatically correct in this sense, but it makes him sound non-native.

If he just wan't to be studious, then sure, learn it the right way.
Yes that is true, but I think he should have an advanced understanding of the language before he implements these things into his speech. He can then learn to differentiate grammatically incorrect and correct speech. This is at least my approach and it helped me immensely with my language learning journey. :)

It's definitely true though that grammatically correct expressions can still be inappropriate. Lots of German learners often use a very formal version of the word "you" in casual situations which is definitely not what natives would ever say.

• +1
http://www.antimoon.com/how/howtolearn.htm

The most important thing from my personal point of view is input. You need to watch a lot of tv shows,movies and Youtube videos in English in order to get better at speaking English. All of your internet activities should be primarily in English, because you will naturally learn the correct grammar tenses and words through it. You can easily look up words on dictionary websites and then review them occasionally. Your pronunciation will improve drastically by listening to the language, but it might not be enough to sound convincing. You are not a child anymore, therefore you have to make a concious effort to get a better accent. Try to imitate native speakers at home by saying sentences and mimicking their style of speech

https://apps.ankiweb.net/ Just put every new word into this flashcard software if you cannot recall words that well.
this. most immigrant kids who's brains are still 'pliable' learn this way very quickly.

• +1
The best way is honestly just to watch a lot of American TV and actively trying to mimic them.

• +1
Listen to hip hop rap music, of 90s flavour

• +1
I struggle sounding like a Mexican living in a Western state I often get abused a lot due to my voice and my looks. So I'm asking you guys on the best way to learn English fluently, so girls can finally respect me when approaching them.. I like White girls by the way.
You like white girls, but they are not meant for you Juanito. Stick to your Fajitas.