Basic Skincare Guide

Titus7

Titus7

Iron
So, a lot of people seem to be confused on Skincare. They aren't sure how to setup a routine, which products to buy, what order to use them in, how to use them properly, and etc. With there being so many products on the market it's easy to get lost, but in reality it's actually quite simple.

All that most people with average skin really need is a basic skincare routine, which looks like this-

AM:
1. Cleanser
2. Moisturizer
3. (optional) Sunscreen

PM:
1. Cleanser
2. Shave
3. Moisturizer

2x a Week:
1. Exfoliate

Anything other that what's listed in the above routine, is really just extra stuff. This would be things such as Toner, Serums, Vitamin C, Clay Masks, Charcoal Masks, and etc. They can be helpful depending on your skin concerns, but not something that is a necessity. Having a solid routine of Cleanser, Moisturizer, and Sunscreen is essential for your skins health.

Info:
- Cleanser:
When you cleanse your face in the (AM), use warm water to rinse your face. It's not necessary to use a Cleanser 2x a day, particularly for those suffering with oily/dehydrated/dry skin. This will just make it worse. Exceptions to this though would be if you were just getting back to shower post-workout, or were sweating throughout the night.
- Moisturizer: Everyone needs a moisturizer, even those with oily skin. A lot of the time at least part of the oil production is commonly due to dehydration (aka lack of moisture).
- Sunscreen: This is optional. If you decide to use it, just be sure to wear it everyday and that it's at least SPF 30.
- Exfoliate: You should exfoliate twice a week (Wed & Sat), during the PM, right after cleansing.

--------------

Below is an example of my current Routine, with correct sizing amounts, and directions listed-

AM:
1. Cleanser
- Products: Warm water
- Directions: Splash warm water on your face 3 or 4 times. Next, splash warm water around your neck. (do not pat your face or neck dry. Proceed to the next step, and apply the moisturizer on top of your wet face/neck. This allows the moisturizer to be absorbed better)

2. Moisturizer
- Products:
CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion
- Amount: 1 almond size on face, 1 almond size on neck
- Directions: Pump 1 almond size amount in hands, dot around each area of your face evenly
(forehead, nose, left cheek, right cheek, and chin). Now using both ring fingers, applying light pressure, spread the moisturizer around your face evenly.

PM:
1. Cleanser
- Products:
CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser (or CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser)
- Amount: 1 pump for face, 1 pump for neck
- Time: 60 seconds face, 60 seconds neck
- Directions: 1 pump in hands, massage on face for 60 seconds, rinse. Next, 1 pump in hands, massage around neck for 60 seconds, rinse.

2. Shave

3. Moisturizer
- Product:
CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
- Amount: 1 almond size face, 1 almond size neck
- Directions: Pump 1 almond size amount in hands, evenly dot around each section of your face
(forehead, nose, left cheek, right cheek, and chin). Now take your hands, and applying light pressure, spread the moisturizer around your whole face evenly. Next, pump 1 almond size amount in hands, rub hands together, rub all over your neck.

2x a Week
1. Exfoliate
- Product:
Derma E Essentials Microdermabrasion Scrub
- Days: Wed & Sat
- Amount: 1 dime size face, 1 dime size neck
- Directions: Take out a dime size amount, massage on face for 60 seconds, rinse. Next, take out a dime size amount, massage on neck for 60 seconds, rinse.

As Needed
Blemishes
- Product: Bye-Bye Blemish Drying Lotion
- Days: As needed
- Amount: Read the bottle

- Directions: Read the bottle

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
  • JFL
Reactions: kuroro, Need2Ascend, hairyballscel and 19 others
Strong first thread

• +1
Reactions: Salludon and Titus7
I really don't understand why people need these guides, I mean, didn't your parents teach you about the importance of cleansing, moisturising and sunscreen?

• +1
  • JFL
  • So Sad
Reactions: 𝐀𝐬𝐬𝐲𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐧 𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐨𝐫, HighIQcel, je3oe and 2 others
High IQ format and beautifully simple.

Not going to derail the thread with discussion of things like Retin-A, collagen, and that more in-depth family of skincare because I think it misses the point of the thread, but one thing to keep in mind with regards to the basics is that generally chemical exfoliants are preferable to physical/mechanical ones.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 470, Deleted member 1464, Titus7 and 1 other person
I really don't understand why people need these guides, I mean, didn't your parents teach you about the importance of cleansing, moisturising and sunscreen?
Nah

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: Mongrelcel, HighIQcel, No Bones Dax and 15 others
Lol, most guys wouldn't even know what this means. Probably one reason why a cheap product like Axe, that's terrible for your skin/hair, is so popular. Or the ridiculous 3 in 1 Shampoo+Conditioner+Body Wash they sell.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Hmm...
  • Woah
Reactions: No Bones Dax, Deleted member 656, MadMong and 1 other person
I've literally never met another dude who even knew what most of this stuff is. So no, not unless your parent is some sort of Dermatologist.
Damn, that explains why the skin quality in Europeans is dog shit compared to Asians.

• +1
Reactions: MadMong
Damn, that explains why the skin quality in Europeans is dog shit compared to Asians.
All that Sun Damage from tanning adds up. Asians prefer the skin bleaching.

• +1
Reactions: ElliotRodgerJr
All that Sun Damage from tanning adds up. Asians prefer the skin bleaching.
Mayo pipo be like
This is my 5 year old nephew
0 Maja Nilsson Victor Lindelof

• +1
Reactions: Titus7
High IQ format and beautifully simple.

Not going to derail the thread with discussion of things like Retin-A, collagen, and that more in-depth family of skincare because I think it misses the point of the thread, but one thing to keep in mind with regards to the basics is that generally chemical exfoliants are preferable to physical/mechanical ones.
Thank You, I'm glad it was easy enough to understand.

Yeah, the prescription strength topical creams are definitely some great stuff. I've only ever used them a few times, but I believe you would just apply them over your moisturizer at night right? Then wash it off in the morning with an actual cleanser?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 656
Thank You, I'm glad it was easy enough to understand.

Yeah, the prescription strength topical creams are definitely some great stuff. I've only ever used them a few times, but I believe you would just apply them over your moisturizer at night right? Then wash it off in the morning with an actual cleanser?
It's better to use them prior to moisturising allegedly. But always at night, yes.

Prolly coppied this shit from reddit

This is the r/skincareaddiction guide.
I literally wrote nearly this whole thing myself. I only took 3 or 4 sentences from there guide, for explanation purposes. This Routine is mine, and I created it.
Prolly coppied this shit from reddit

No, everything else is my own wording. This is the only thing that I took from the r/skincareaddiction guide.

- "Having a solid routine of Cleanser, Moisturizer, and Sunscreen is essential for your skins health."

- "It's not necessary to use a Cleanser 2x a day, particularly for those suffering with oily/dehydrated/dry skin. This will just make it worse. Exceptions to this though would be if you were just getting back to shower post-workout, or were sweating throughout the night."

- "Everyone needs a moisturizer, even those with oily skin. A lot of the time at least part of the oil production is commonly due to dehydration (aka lack of moisture)."

- "This is optional. If you decide to use it, just be sure to wear it everyday and that it's at least SPF 30."

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Chadelite, Deleted member 2205, GenericChad1444 and 1 other person
It's better to use them prior to moisturising allegedly. But always at night, yes.
Ah okay, that makes sense.

Well I think, especially for the people who suffer from bad acne, this Routine along with the Topical Creams, will be a powerful combination! And yeah, the Chemical Exfoliants are usually better. Luckily, this Physical Exfoliant is very good and easy to use.

For the people who also want to get rid of there Acne Scars, they should IMO either go the TCA Peel Route or find someone who does CO2 Lasering. That will get rid of most of it.

• +1
is cleanser the same as exfoliate`?

Okay, because i use a cleanser twice a day, after waking up and before going to bed. The cleanser is this one: https://www.boots.no/product/aco-spotless-ansiktsrens-200ml-for-10490-produkt851463
Twice a day is honestly too much, unless you need it.

And a good website for finding trustworthy reviews on Skincare products is Makeupalley. Reddit is also good for asking these kinds of questions, or read the r/skincareaddiction. This guide basically already does all the hard work for you though. And the products I have linked are honestly the best for guys with average skin.

Twice a day is honestly too much, unless you need it.

And a good website for finding trustworthy reviews on Skincare products is Makeupalley. Reddit is also good for asking these kinds of questions, or read the r/skincareaddiction. This guide basically already does all the hard work for you though. And the products I have linked are honestly the best for guys with average skin.
Yeah, i'd think that would be too much. I'm also dealing with acne so it's ogre, but you can't stop hormones i'd assume as a 16 y/o

Yeah, i'd think that would be too much. I'm also dealing with acne so it's ogre, but you can't stop hormones i'd assume as a 16 y/o
Honestly, if your acne is bad enough, just go get on Accutane. Better to prevent as much scarring as possible now, rather than have to fix it later on.

• +1
Honestly, if your acne is bad enough, just go get on Accutane. Better to prevent as much scarring as possible now, rather than have to fix it later on.
Yeah, i was thinking that too, but i have no fucking clue how to get it as i live in norway, and i doubt my doctor would give me it

• +1
Yeah, i was thinking that too, but i have no fucking clue how to get it as i live in norway, and i doubt my doctor would give me it
Ask to see a Dermatologist. Then bring it up.

• +1
Excellent format

No mention of retin-a or dermarolling, you will be an eternal acnecel if you follow this guide.

Physical abrasives like the derma e product you mentioned are the worst exfoliants. The overnight peel is a better product. What you need are liquid peels, or aha/bha formulas like paulas choice. These are the best exfoliants. They are more effective than otc abrasive exfoliants with no drawbacks.

Lemon sparkling peel gel from iherb or liquid peel gel from the bodyshop are good. As is the overnight peel from derma e.

Regarding cleansers oil based cleansers are the best. Foam cleansers are inferior in every way. I make my own using extra virgin olive oil and combining it with neutrogena gentle cleanser. No foam.

As for moisturisers... They arent really needed if using oil cleanser but the best one ive found so far is definitely cerave moisturising lotion. Actives are good and it sinks in without too much effort even with stuble

All of the above is inferior to sleep cardio and nutrition. Sweating is important. if i had access to sauna everyday i would not use any products

If you shave twice a week you can exfoliate once a week. The razor acts as an exfoliator.

No mention of retin-a or dermarolling, you will be an eternal acnecel if you follow this guide.
No you won't.

A good SkinCare Routine is going to help get rid of acne.

For people who suffer with Acne though, they should also visit a Dermatologist too. The prescription strength Topical Creams, and Medication they prescribe work well alongside a good routine.

Last edited:
  • +1
Your statement is completely ridiculous.

This isn't a guide for getting rid of acne, although a good SkinCare Routine is obviously going to help.

For people who suffer with Acne, they should visit a Dermatologist too. The prescription strength Topical Creams, and Medication they prescribe work well.

You rn

Physical abrasives like the derma e product you mentioned are the worst exfoliants. The overnight peel is a better product. What you need are liquid peels, or aha/bha formulas like paulas choice. These are the best exfoliants. They are more effective than otc abrasive exfoliants with no drawbacks.

Lemon sparkling peel gel from iherb or liquid peel gel from the bodyshop are good. As is the overnight peel from derma e.

Regarding cleansers oil based cleansers are the best. Foam cleansers are inferior in every way. I make my own using extra virgin olive oil and combining it with neutrogena gentle cleanser. No foam.

As for moisturisers... They arent really needed if using oil cleanser but the best one ive found so far is definitely cerave moisturising lotion. Actives are good and it sinks in without too much effort even with stuble

All of the above is inferior to sleep cardio and nutrition. Sweating is important. if i had access to sauna everyday i would not use any products
It's actually a great exfoliant. You can read the feedback, and the results speak for themselves.

Foaming Cleansers are not inferior. Double cleansing is actually much better also. Oil Cleanser, than Foaming Cleanser.

I completely disagree. Skincare products are helpful, and they work for a reason.
Used to have mild acne when I was younger.

I had a 30% TCA Peel to clear up the scarring, once I got rid of the Acne though.

I have clear skin now.

Last edited:
  • +1
is cerave good?

no they laugh at this shit and have never touched skin products in their life, they have good skin though

Sunscreen is not optional it's literally the most important thing
Your parents are faggots

• +1
Reactions: ThisTooShallPass and Deleted member 656
weak thread tbh, Nibba's skincare mogs this post

Sunscreen is not optional it's literally the most important thing

Your parents are faggots
Agreed. But some Moisturizers have it built in.

e
It's actually a great exfoliant. You can read the feedback, and the results speak for themselves.

Foaming Cleansers are not inferior. Double cleansing is actually much better also. Oil Cleanser, than Foaming Cleanser.

I completely disagree. Skincare products are helpful, and they work for a reason.

Used to have mild acne when I was younger.

I had a 30% TCA Peel to clear up the scarring, once I got rid of the Acne though.

I have clear skin now.
Everyone's skin type is different smh

I just megadose on vit c & tretinoin, cleanse & exfoliate and then repeat. If I go out then I moisturize. If it gets way to damaged and dry then I moisturize and use clindamycin.

e

Everyone's skin type is different smh
These products work with all Skin Types. If you don't know your Skin Type, then you can easily tell by visiting an Esthetician. Or by checking here-
I just megadose on vit c & tretinoin, cleanse & exfoliate and then repeat. If I go out then I moisturize. If it gets way to damaged and dry then I moisturize and use clindamycin.
Vitamin C is VERY POTENT to your skin, I would not be megadosing on it. You should only exfoliate twice a week. You should always use moisturizer after you watch your face.

What changes does a skin care routine have on your face besides no blemishes?

no, never, not once

So, a lot of people seem to be confused on Skincare. They aren't sure how to setup a routine, which products to buy, what order to use them in, how to use them properly, and etc. With there being so many products on the market it's easy to get lost, but in reality it's actually quite simple.

All that most people with average skin really need is a basic skincare routine, which looks like this-

AM:
1. Cleanser
2. Moisturizer
3. (optional) Sunscreen

PM:
1. Cleanser
2. Shave
3. Moisturizer

2x a Week:
1. Exfoliate

Anything other that what's listed in the above routine, is really just extra stuff. This would be things such as Toner, Serums, Vitamin C, Clay Masks, Charcoal Masks, and etc. They can be helpful depending on your skin concerns, but not something that is a necessity. Having a solid routine of Cleanser, Moisturizer, and Sunscreen is essential for your skins health.

Info:
- Cleanser:
When you cleanse your face in the (AM), use warm water to rinse your face. It's not necessary to use a Cleanser 2x a day, particularly for those suffering with oily/dehydrated/dry skin. This will just make it worse. Exceptions to this though would be if you were just getting back to shower post-workout, or were sweating throughout the night.
- Moisturizer: Everyone needs a moisturizer, even those with oily skin. A lot of the time at least part of the oil production is commonly due to dehydration (aka lack of moisture).
- Sunscreen: This is optional. If you decide to use it, just be sure to wear it everyday and that it's at least SPF 30.
- Exfoliate: You should exfoliate twice a week (Wed & Sat), during the PM, right after cleansing.

--------------

Below is an example of my current Routine, with correct sizing amounts, and directions listed-

AM:
1. Cleanser
- Products: Warm water
- Directions: Splash warm water on your face 3 or 4 times. Next, splash warm water around your neck. (do not pat your face or neck dry. Proceed to the next step, and apply the moisturizer on top of your wet face/neck. This allows the moisturizer to be absorbed better)

2. Moisturizer
- Products:
CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion
- Amount: 1 almond size on face, 1 almond size on neck
- Directions: Pump 1 almond size amount in hands, dot around each area of your face evenly
(forehead, nose, left cheek, right cheek, and chin). Now using both ring fingers, applying light pressure, spread the moisturizer around your face evenly.

PM:
1. Cleanser
- Products:
CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser (or CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser)
- Amount: 1 pump for face, 1 pump for neck
- Time: 60 seconds face, 60 seconds neck
- Directions: 1 pump in hands, massage on face for 60 seconds, rinse. Next, 1 pump in hands, massage around neck for 60 seconds, rinse.

2. Shave

3. Moisturizer
- Product:
CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
- Amount: 1 almond size face, 1 almond size neck
- Directions: Pump 1 almond size amount in hands, evenly dot around each section of your face
(forehead, nose, left cheek, right cheek, and chin). Now take your hands, and applying light pressure, spread the moisturizer around your whole face evenly. Next, pump 1 almond size amount in hands, rub hands together, rub all over your neck.

2x a Week
1. Exfoliate
- Product:
Derma E Essentials Microdermabrasion Scrub
- Days: Wed & Sat
- Amount: 1 dime size face, 1 dime size neck
- Directions: Take out a dime size amount, massage on face for 60 seconds, rinse. Next, take out a dime size amount, massage on neck for 60 seconds, rinse.

As Needed
Blemishes
- Product: Bye-Bye Blemish Drying Lotion
- Days: As needed
- Amount: Read the bottle

- Directions: Read the bottle
Thanks for stating the obvious

• +1
Reactions: About2Rope