Beta Blockers Update (Yes, they work!)

LordNorwood

LordNorwood

This Too Shall Pass
tl;dr Beta Blockers work and if you have performance anxiety you should try them. They are easy to get, cheap, non-habit forming, safe, and brutally effective. Full success story below for those interested.
So as I said I would post an update thread after my speaking engagement Sunday night. Here's a brief account of what went down, put the tl;dr in the title - simply put, beta blockers work and work very well, all the stories I heard about these meds were true.
So the situation is this - another person and I were tasked with co-leading group discussion under the supervision of the usual group discussion leader. This might seem like cake to some here, might seem scary to others, I was in the latter category. Other thread goes over the exact nature of my problems here.
Anyway, we were supposed to show up on location at 5:30 and speaking engagement started roughly at 7:00 and lasts about an hour. In the meantime you basically hang out and talk.
I had decided beforehand to take 50 mg total. I put 5 10 mg pills in a small plastic baggie in my pocket and subtly took 2 at 5:30, 1 at 6:00, and 2 more at 6:30. My logic was to spread the medication over the range of effective time I had heard just to be safe. Most stories I read had people taking less than this but I figured I would rather overdose than underdose in this case.
When the speaking started I felt a brief moment of panic as I was introduced as a leader for the night and I felt as though the meds didn't work, I was finished, time to rope etc. etc. but then I felt no physical symptoms. I only had the mental nervousness, which without the feedback loop from my bodily reactions was insanely easy to control (is that being a normal person feels like? JFL so easy) I started speaking and it was easy, my voice never even hinted at quavering, I was able to speak in a deep even tone and allow my voice to resonate. So I focused more on what I was saying.
Afterwards the leader pulled me aside and said "look, you carried tonight. you killed it out there man, you were made for this" I never in a million years thought I would hear words like those.
When I was coming home I stopped by a gas station. I walked inside and the clerk asked me "how was your night" and I said "good, it was a really good night" and I realized that I actually meant it. For the first time in months and months, I considered a day to be an unambigous win. I chalked up a W and it feels good.
Feeling hopeful.

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Deleted member 5634, saltii131, mkj and 10 others
I used them to ace a final

• +1
Reactions: LordNorwood
do i just google beta blocker

• +1
where do i get them

• +1
there is no logic to this , beta blockers works opposite to stimulants

And... stimulants promote anxiety...
Wait...does that mean?

giphy.gif

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 3043
How about trying to figure that stuff on your own? Using drugs is good solution in short term but do you really wanna be dependent on stuff like that? Use the time on betablockers as good as you can but I dont think that putting anything in your body that was made in a lab in a prolonged time period will make you even more unhappy when they are gone.

You're stronger than you think.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: LordNorwood and born2shitforced2wipe
thx doc

• +1
Reactions: ZyzzReincarnate and LordNorwood
How about trying to figure that stuff on your own? Using drugs is good solution in short term but do you really wanna be dependent on stuff like that? Use the time on betablockers as good as you can but I dont think that putting anything in your body that was made in a lab in a prolonged time period will make you even more unhappy when they are gone.

Some people become dependent on drugs but others tell themselves that if they did it before, they can do it again.
Why are you giving speeches on a Sunday night @op? Freemason confirmed

• +1

The thing with the specific beta-blocker the op used is that after a while you don't need it anymore.

• +1
Propranolol has been linked with hair loss

• JFL
i almost never feel any anxiety, i could be out of a job with literally no money and still not feel any anxiety. I do, however, seem to get seemingly unprovoked bouts of anxiety for absolutely no reason.

• +1
lol girls ignoring you niggas is the only beta blocker i know

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: lifeagame, Deleted member 3583, ZyzzReincarnate and 3 others
do i just google beta blocker
The one I used specifically is called propranolol, check my previous thread for more info but just ask your doctor about it, its easy to get.
Propranolol has been linked with hair loss
Yeah I saw that but I don't use it on a daily basis like some people do so I doubt things like this will ever affect me. Most people who use propranolol just use it like I plan on using it - occasionally when a stress event is coming up.

I don't plan on using them long-term. This philosophy to be honest has not worked for me man and its been years with my anxiety only getting worse through exposure. If you don't have panic attacks while speaking then no offense but I think you simply can't understand my position.
After doing a lot of research the conclusion I've come to is this: for some reason (actually I know the reason but that's another story) my body has been conditioned to recognize public speaking as a situation in which my life is under threat. By my "body" I mean my subconscious. In reaction against this, whenever I public speak, my body engages fight or flight mode. Then after the speech my body thinks "okay good, we got out of that one alive, let's handle the next situation the same way" whereas my mind thinks "wow that sucked, I'm gonna be even more afraid of the next one!" its a horrible and vicious negative feedback loop. By making fight or flight IMPOSSIBLE, beta blockers end that vicious cycle and allow the opposite, positive cycle to occur.
One of the things that convinced me on these meds was that many people who took them then found later that they no longer needed them, because suceeding at what once scared them eventually killed the fear itself. Research also backs this up - propranolol literally makes it impossible to form those fear-memories for your body to hold onto. So my plan is to use it for a little while and then wean the medication down until I don't need at all. Then maybe I'll just keep in the back pocket if something comes up where the stakes are so insanely high that I want every bit of insurance I can get.
Some people become dependent on drugs but others tell themselves that if they did it before, they can do it again.
Why are you giving speeches on a Sunday night @op? Freemason confirmed
I've gotten to be very involved in a local church over the past couple years, specifically I've made very good friends with one of the people on staff, for the past year we've gotten coffee every single week and I think he kind of sees me as a personal project. He became the youth pastor this year and he asked me to be a leader (high school so there isn't that much of an age difference). Its usually pretty fun tbh and the kids are awesome but as I said before speaking freaks me out.
i almost never feel any anxiety, i could be out of a job with literally no money and still not feel any anxiety. I do, however, seem to get seemingly unprovoked bouts of anxiety for absolutely no reason.
Sounds like panic attacks bro, or at least close to one. What seems to bring them on? Any commonalites between the occurences?
there is no logic to this , beta blockers works opposite to stimulants
Google them. The way they work is by literally making the symptoms of an adrenaline rush impossible. Adrenaline can't bind to receptors in the body while they're active so you remain completely calm on the outside even if your mind is freaking the fuck out.
where do i get them
You need a prescription. Check my earlier thread on how I got them or just talk to your GP.

Daily reminder that op Is a fag

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: ZyzzReincarnate and LordNorwood
Daily reminder that op Is a fag

• JFL
I had this same reaction to Modafinil. Congratulations on finally being a high functioning neurotypical op. Just don't get addicted :feelstastyman: .

• +1
Could this turn me into a low inhib slayer?
You don't become low inhib with stimulants, you become high functioning. It's kind of like cocaine, rather than alcohol.

I had this same reaction to Modafinil. Congratulations on finally being a high functioning neurotypical op. Just don't get addicted :feelstastyman: .
I need to get ahold of moda tbh