BSSO vs IVRO?

AcneScars

AcneScars

Retired
Why isn’t intraoral vertical ramus osteotomy (IVRO) as common as Bilateral Sagittal Split Osteotomy (BSSO). Are there any benefits to BSSO as compared to IVRO?

@RealSurgerymax

• +1
Reactions: AcneScars
Why isn’t intraoral vertical ramus osteotomy (IVRO) as common as Bilateral Sagittal Split Osteotomy (BSSO). Are there any benefits to BSSO as compared to IVRO?

IVRO shortens the jaws narrows the air ways hence not really ideal bbso widens the air ways

@RealSurgerymax

The advantage of the BSSO is that the sagittal cut allows the sliding mandible to maintain a lot of bone-to-bone contact. That is the beauty of the BSSO

• +1
Reactions: Racky, ascentium and AcneScars
The advantage of the BSSO is that the sagittal cut allows the sliding mandible to maintain a lot of bone-to-bone contact. That is the beauty of the BSSO
I’m worried about IAN damage during BSSO. Are there any exclusive benefits to IVRO and could I ask the surgeon to do it instead of BSSO when I get Bimax?

I’m worried about IAN damage during BSSO. Are there any exclusive benefits to IVRO and could I ask the surgeon to do it instead of BSSO when I get Bimax?
IVRO is more difficult to perform. The distinctive characteristic of this technique is that it maintains the gonial angle in the distal (teeth-bearing) fragment.

• +1
Reactions: AcneScars and ascentium
IVRO is more difficult to perform. The distinctive characteristic of this technique is that it maintains the gonial angle in the distal (teeth-bearing) fragment.
If the surgeon is willing to perform either, which one should I get?

• +1
Reactions: RealSurgerymax and AcneScars