Can you be recessed despite having a midface ratio of 1.0?

KrissKross

KrissKross

Roped
Are they mutually exclusive?

And if you have a midface ratio of 1.0, is it even worth chewing anymore for upwards and forwards CCW rotation of maxilla?

Crouzon syndrome patients and downies have a concave maxilla + comically short midface with ratio that is 99% of the time greater than 1.1. Not to mention blacks and asians. It is all genetics.

• +1
Reactions: Nisse, toolateforme, Deleted member 4430 and 2 others
Crouzon syndrome patients and downies have a concave maxilla + comically short midface with ratio that is 99% of the time greater than 1.1. Not to mention blacks and asians. It is all genetics.
Good insight

• Woah
Reactions: Taylorswift
Good insight
E48E71DF B25D 4916 8D9D E9D177005F3E

Longer midface means downward grown maxilla not recessed or underdeveloped maxilla. Two are different

• +1
Reactions: s3-s3, Deleted member 4430 and Deleted member 5385
if you're black

Longer midface means downward grown maxilla not recessed or underdeveloped maxilla. Two are different
I think that the midface as a whole meaning the combination of your IPD + the vertical width of your middle third is completely genetic. I have seen classic downwards grown faces with recessed chins that still have a compact midface with a ratio ranging between 1-1.1.

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Deleted member 5385, KrissKross and Deleted member 5052
I think that the midface as a whole meaning the combination of your IPD + the vertical width of your middle third is completely genetic. I have seen classic downwards grown faces with recessed chins that still have a compact midface with a ratio ranging between 1-1.1.
Yeah the whole cranial base (brachycephaly, meso and doli) thing is genetic however all three can have good forward growth or can have flatter underdeveloped faces. Obviously brachycephaly faces will have shorter vertical height of face compared to width giving them higher fwhr and higher midface ratio (granted normal ipd) but thats not ideal imo. Ideal would be mesocephalic with slightly inclined towards brachy with a mesomorph build (ex jeff seid). But forward growth is needed in all cases though i think extreme brachy or dolichocephalic faces are death sentences

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5385
Yeah the whole cranial base (brachycephaly, meso and doli) thing is genetic however all three can have good forward growth or can have flatter underdeveloped faces. Obviously brachycephaly faces will have shorter vertical height of face compared to width giving them higher fwhr and higher midface ratio (granted normal ipd) but thats not ideal imo. Ideal would be mesocephalic with slightly inclined towards brachy with a mesomorph build (ex jeff seid). But forward growth is needed in all cases though i think extreme brachy or dolichocephalic faces are death sentences
True 70 percent Mezo 30 percent brachy would be Perfect for wide compact skull.
So sad you can't change cranial base angle and sphenoid , maybe in the future.. IT would change literally whole skull

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5052
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5052
Does it always?
No not always in some cases orientation of the skull by default is having longer than average midface
Images 84
Images 85

I think they are properly grown while still having midface length on the longer side.

• +1
Reactions: SteveRogers

And if you have a midface ratio of 1.0, is it even worth chewing anymore for upwards and forwards CCW rotation of maxilla?
I got 1.1 and steep occlusal plane of around 15 degree, so I would need ccw rotation. I think chewing will rather rotate clockwise.

Yeah you can your lower 3rd and maxilla could be death tier similar to a corpse