CCW/linear movement difference?

Deusmaximus

Deusmaximus

Kraken
I still dont understand the difference between the both surgical methods. Can somebody quickly explain??

Impaction and downgraft is rotation

linear is without

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5912, LostYouth and Patrick Baitman
Impaction and downgraft is rotation

linear is without
What does a super forward maxilla look like with not much rotation? Does it look like your nose sticks out too much?

What does a super forward maxilla look like with not much rotation? Does it look like your nose sticks out too much?

I think generally the midface looks longer that's it it a forward grown maxilla generally is long and compact

Picture the hand of a clock being the jaw. The hand is pointed towards the 4. Now think about the vertical distance from the base of the hand to the 4. Now make the hand point towards the 5. The vertical distance has increased. That is CW rotation.

Moving the hand to the 3 would be CCW rotation, shortening the vertical distance from the rotation point. But also, the horizontal distance between the end of the hand and rotation point (center of clock) increases.

Linear advancement is straightforward. It's literally just moving the jaw directly forward, while maintaining the initial occlusion.

Rotations and linear advancement are often combined.

• +1
Reactions: 000
Picture the hand of a clock being the jaw. The hand is pointed towards the 4. Now think about the vertical distance from the base of the hand to the 4. Now make the hand point towards the 5. The vertical distance has increased. That is CW rotation.

Moving the hand to the 3 would be CCW rotation, shortening the vertical distance from the rotation point. But also, the horizontal distance between the end of the hand and rotation point (center of clock) increases.

Linear advancement is straightforward. It's literally just moving the jaw directly forward, while maintaining the initial occlusion.

What do I do to get this with my jaw?:
Untitled

When you facepull with kids at 0° or a neutral angle, will this not rotate the maxilla at all, only linearly advance it forward?

What do I do to get this with my jaw?:
View attachment 627390

you mean to lengthen the mandibular body, at least in the profile view?

IMDO +- genioplasty would be the best way.

If not, maybe BSSO +- genioplasty.

But teeth must bite correctly, so upper jaw might need something done. Plus orthodontics.

you mean to lengthen the mandibular body, at least in the profile view?

IMDO +- genioplasty would be the best way.

If not, maybe BSSO +- genioplasty.

But teeth must bite correctly, so upper jaw might need something done. Plus orthodontics.
In kids theoretically, can something be done non-surgically? I was thinking that they can just solely move the maxilla forwards — not rotating it.

You mean in kids and in regards to mandibular body lengthening?