Compound Effect: Red Light Therapy

PrisonMike

PrisonMike

Analytical Looksmaxxer
Endurance Training | Resistance Training | Red Light Therapy (RLT) | Nutrition

Purported Benefits:

This will be a new series on a range of looksmax methods that are interconnected and can help accelerate looksmax results. I will keep adding to this list the more I research. Obviously, most things are interconnected by some degree of separation. However, I think it is still helpful to document all these connections.
Here's a looksmax thread that discusses all the studies on RLT effects on the skin:

We've established in the following list of previous posts that scleral show is effected by facial muscles:

Since RLT aids in muscle regeneration and forces you to practice the Sun Squint during your session, it would theoretically accelerate your progress in reducing scleral show. The major muscle groups that affect scleral show (Orbicularis Oculi, Levator Labii, Zygomatic Major, etc.) will all be affected during RLT.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: AscendingHero, Treasure223, Kade and 4 others
I use a regular red light as a bulb in my room to turn on at night, so I won't absorb any blue light. Will that count as red light therapy?

I use a regular red light as a bulb in my room to turn on at night, so I won't absorb any blue light. Will that count as red light therapy?
Not really. The light wavelength has to be closer to the infrared wavelength. It's usually around 660nm. Also, you need to be 6 to 12 inches away from the light during your session. A regular red light bulb might not have these exact specifications. I am currently using this product from Amazon.

• +1
Reactions: RobticaI
Not really. The light wavelength has to be closer to the infrared wavelength. It's usually around 660nm. Also, you need to be 6 to 12 inches away from the light during your session. A regular red light bulb might not have these exact specifications. I am currently using the following product from Amazon:
Amazon product ASIN B07TDP67LR
I can't see the link.

Not really. The light wavelength has to be closer to the infrared wavelength. It's usually around 660nm. Also, you need to be 6 to 12 inches away from the light during your session. A regular red light bulb might not have these exact specifications. I am currently using this product from Amazon.
Does it really work? Have you seen results? Joovv is really the best for RLT, but it's too expensive, so I'm looking for a lamp that works well but for an accessible price.

• +1
Reactions: sloopnoob
Does it really work? Have you seen results? Joovv is really the best for RLT, but it's too expensive, so I'm looking for a lamp that works well but for an accessible price.
Many reviews for the product I linked in my reply above state that it really does work. The light is very similar to the one used in many peer-reviewed studies. I just got the light yesterday and I started using it today.

• +1
Reactions: Chadelite, theanonymousone and her
Can we get a standard recommended RLT device in the ~100$ range on this forum? I really want to buy one but I'm just wondering which one to get, and at those prices I can't just buy anything.

EDIT Just saw your link, that looks good, but is that really enough lights? It seems like some of them have more bulbs?

Many reviews for the product I linked in my reply above state that it really does work. The light is very similar to the one used in many peer-reviewed studies. I just got the light yesterday and I started using it today.
Oh, nice. Can you keep me updated in a few weeks? If it works for you I might buy it.

• +1
Reactions: sloopnoob and PrisonMike
Can we get a standard recommended RLT device in the ~100$ range on this forum? I really want to buy one but I'm just wondering which one to get, and at those prices I can't just buy anything.

EDIT Just saw your link, that looks good, but is that really enough lights? It seems like some of them have more bulbs?
It is enough for your face, which is all I really care about. You can use the light on other areas of your body for all the other benefits, but it probably is going to take too much of your time.

• +1
Reactions: Chadelite, theanonymousone and Deleted member 4614
I have edited my reply by embedding the link in the last sentence fragment.
It's not that expensive, thanks bro.

Screen Shot 2020 03 15 at 70638 PM

Can you overdo RLT? Like should you do it in moderation, 10-20 mins a day instead of 1hr a day?

Can you overdo RLT? Like should you do it in moderation, 10-20 mins a day instead of 1hr a day?
The benefits level off after the first 25 minutes. I have heard stories of people that woke up with burns after sleeping with the red light on. The product comes with a guide. They guide you to do a 20-25min session 7 to 14 times per week. Keep the light 6 to 12 inches from your face, don’t look directly at the light, etc.

The benefits level off after the first 25 minutes. I have heard stories of people that woke up with burns after sleeping with the red light on. The product comes with a guide. They guide you to do a 20-25min session 7 to 14 times per week. Keep the light 6 to 12 inches from your face, don’t look directly at the light, etc.
My light is bright as fuck it's like looking into the sun tbh. Even with my eyes shut, after I'm done and open my eyes my vision is fucked like i just stared in the sun.

My light is bright as fuck it's like looking into the sun tbh. Even with my eyes shut, after I'm done and open my eyes my vision is fucked like i just stared in the sun.
The product I use doesn’t hurt my eyes when I am not directly looking at it. I linked to a few articles in my OP that talk about RLT benefits to your vision.

It is enough for your face, which is all I really care about. You can use the light on other areas of your body for all the other benefits, but it probably is going to take too much of your time.

Thanks again, I guess for the price even if it's no good it's no big deal

• +1
Reactions: PrisonMike
I have edited my reply by embedding the link in the last sentence fragment.
I have the same lamp but only with 660nm. Is it still good?

Cant you link a good one so i can buy thx bro

A red light therapy bulb around 15$ ?

Joovv is the only RLT that works

Quality post, keep it up g!

• Love it
Reactions: PrisonMike
I have the same lamp but only with 660nm. Is it still good?
The peer-reviewed study circulated around this website had four treatment groups. Two were treated with RLT closer to ~660nm. The other two were treated with ELT closer to ~850nm. In the study, they conclude that
Broadband polychromatic PBM showed no advantage over the red-light-only spectrum. However, both novel light sources that have not been previously used for PBM have demonstrated efficacy and safety for skin rejuvenation and intradermal collagen increase when compared with controls.
If you are only using 660nm, you should be good.

The peer-reviewed study circulated around this website had four treatment groups. Two were treated with RLT closer to ~660nm. The other two were treated with ELT closer to ~850nm. In the study, they conclude that

If you are only using 660nm, you should be good.
Ok, does your lamp send out heat?
Cause my lamp doesn’t go even little bit warm. Idk if it‘s good or bad.
My old infared lamp sent out lots of heat

Ok, does your lamp send out heat?
Cause my lamp doesn’t go even little bit warm. Idk if it‘s good or bad.
My old infared lamp sent out lots of heat
It doesn’t get hot. Or at least I don’t notice it. However, it should produce more heat than yours since mine emits 850nm light closer to the infrared wavelength along the 660nm red light. However, heat has nothing to do with the benefits. It’s all about those short wavelengths interacting with your cells below the skin level.

How is it going, OP? Have you seen any changes in your skin?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401
How is it going, OP? Have you seen any changes in your skin?
It’s probably going to take more than a week or so to see good changes. But right now, my skin looks slightly healthier than it was before I started. The biggest difference I have noticed was me developing rosy cheeks. However, I am not sure if that’s due to RLT or because I started doing daily endurance training first thing in the morning. It really is amazing how being healthy reflects on your skin. I’ll keep doing RLT and update you guys.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and her
I made a post on something similar. A study proved that posture changes can happen via muscle imbalance strengthening. Just do that with certain muscles in the face.

Red light therapy is solid, however I saw studies that infrared light can cause eye problems, so it seems like you have to keep the intensity low.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and PrisonMike
Do you know if there any benefits to shining near-infrared light on your face? The light device I own has switches that can be flipped to shine either red or infrared light

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401