Differences between FUE and FUT hair transplants

Alexanderr

Alexanderr

Admin
Staff
In this thread, I’ll be discussing the main differences between a FUT and an FUE hair transplant.

8386A535 02DC 4FAD 920B BC01A1035494

The main difference between FUT and FUE hair transplant is that in FUT, the surgeon removes a strip of donor skin which to extract individual follicular units to be transferred to the areas of hair loss, whereas in FUE individual follicular units are excised directly from the scalp.

FUT

In this procedure, a strip of hair-bearing skin is removed from the donor area of the scalp, which is usually the back of the head. Hence why it’s also known as the ‘strip’ surgery.

The long-term do or hair supply will be influenced by how to lose/lax the scalp skin is and by the density per square centimeter of donor scalp. In general, the FUT procedure gives access to more donor hair yield during a lifetime compared with FUE.

The strip is then placed under high-powered microscopes and the surgical team divides it into tiny grafts of individual follicular units comprised of one to four hairs. These grafts are placed in a chilled tissue storage solution until they are transplanted.

The donor area is stitched up and usually then covered by the surrounding hair. After between 10 and 14 days the stitches are removed and the donor area heals to form a linear scar. As you can see in the picture above.

FUT hair transplant Iran

FUE

In the FUE procedure, the donor area of the scalp is shaved and follicular unit grafts are excised individually, using a 0.8mm to 1mm ‘punch’.

The procedure can be carried out manually or using a motorized surgical tool.

Following the procedure, there will be a series of tiny dot scars on the scalp but these are so small, they’re barely noticeable. With multiple FUE procedures, more dot scars are accumulated and the hair in the donor area is gradually thinned out. This is why there is a limited amount of donor hair, which means that surgeons and patients must take care to ensure that there is adequate donor supply for a long term plan.

What are the pros and cons of the two hair transplant techniques?

Both procedures have their advantages and their disadvantages. Follicular Unit Excision (FUE) is often described as the more ‘advanced’ technique, although both CUT and FUE provide great results, and choosing the most suitable method depends on your particular needs and your characteristic.

Here are some factors to consider.

Advantages of FUE

The most obvious of them all - no linear scar. FUE has the benefit of avoiding linear scarring left by FUT. Since individual follicular units are taking, you’re only left with tiny dot scars that are barely noticeable to the naked eye. Making it an attractive option for those who care about the amount of visible scarring involved.

Another advantage is the ability to wear your hair short. Because of the minimal scarring FUE provides, it’s particularly suitable for people who like to keep their hair short (like me).

One more advantage is that it’s good for relatively small transplants - FUE may be suitable for younger guys or those who only require a small number of grafts in the hairline.

The disadvantages of FUE are:

• The time-consuming process of extracting grafts
  • Higher price

Advantages of FUT

Its biggest advantage is that it’s great for people requiring a larger number of grafts. FUT typicality provides a higher yield of hair than FUE - an advantage if your goal is to achieve maximum fullness from the hair restoration.

There’s also no need to shave the entire head, with the FUT technique existing hair can be kept long and will be used to cover up the linear scar.
Shorter time in surgery and less downtime. The FUT process usually takes between 4 and 12 hours depending on the size of the recipient area and the number of grafts that need to be transplanted. This is significantly shorter than FUE, which can require extracting up to 2,000 grafts and might take 10 hours – or in some cases might need more than one day in surgery.

Lower cost, this one’s a big one as well. FUT is usually less expensive than the FUE procedure.

FUT has the following disadvantages:

• A linear scar will remain visible in the donor area and you have to wear long hair to hide it (modern techniques for sewing up the cut has reduced the visibility of the left scar)
  • The recovery period is longer (10-14 days)

Who is a good candidate for FUE?

1. The youth: Younger individuals, especially those in their twenties constitute the ideal community to whom FUE is usually prescribed. The reason seems to have something to do with the fact that younger people tend to change their mind more often about their hairstyle. Less obvious scarring on the scalp seems to play an important role in pushing this age group towards the aforementioned treatment. As can obviously be deduced, fewer scars means a definite boost in the individual’s self-confidence and that apparently has turned FUE into the more popular treatment among younger people.
  2. People with small baldness: As the number of grafts needed for patients with small patches of baldness is limited, FUE is the best option, in which as many as 2000 grafts are harvested individually from the donor area and planted into the bald areas.
  3. People with short hair: Since FUE leaves little scars on the head, people who prefer short hair feel more confident when it comes to choosing between the methods of hair transplant. After all, in addition to receiving desirable results, people care about their appearance as well.
  4. Those who have already had a previous procedure: In case a patient has already had one round of hair transplant, most probably an FUT which has left them with considerable scars around their scalp, he will be advised to undergo the other kind as a second round of transplant.

Who is a good candidate for FUT?
  1. People with long hair: People who aren’t into short hair and always wear their hair long are good candidates for FUT as the scar left on the head in this method can be concealed under the hair.
  2. People with large baldness: People who have lost a lot of hairs and need to receive a large number of grafts are best candidates for FUT, in which some 4000 to 5000 grafts can be transplanted in a single procedure. For these patients, FUE is not as much effective as FUT because the number of grafts that can be harvested in one session is limited because of the time-consuming process

What is the difference in results between FUE and FUT?

All hair transplants require technical skill – but they also require a degree of artistry. The surgeon must pay attention to the angle, density and positioning of grafts – and must also be sensitive to the patient’s looks, shape of face and skull and general appearance. This applies equally whatever the kind of procedure.

FUT vs FUE: TLDR

To summarize the benefits and shortcomings of both treatments, it would be safe to deduce that FUE is the method for those who are more concerned with aesthetic dimensions of a chosen procedure; it is also an optimal treatment for one who wishes to wear their hair short.

FUT, on the other hand, is the optimum procedure for those who deeply care about the quality of the results of their transplant and are not that much concerned with the outward appearance of their head after receiving the treatment.

Sources:
1. https://www.themaitlandclinic.com/difference-between-fue-fut-transplants/
2. https://ariamedtour.com/blogs/fue-vs-fut/

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 13511, SendMePicsToRate, Deleted member 7098 and 7 others
i dont wanna be banned tbh ngl

Last edited:
  • JFL
Reactions: antiantifa
TL;DR
Get FUE

• +1
Reactions: Apeiron
It's not true that FUE is barely noticeable, is very noticeable, I once saw a friend of mine and he had all white dots behind his head shit gave me trictophobia.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Callooh_Calais and Alexanderr
It's not true that FUE is barely noticeable, is very noticeable, I once saw a friend of mine and he had all white dots behind his head shit gave me trictophobia.
Yeah, I suppose some cases will be more noticeable than others depending on the amount of hairs excised, your hair density and other factors.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1464
All of that is garbage. Just get a hair system like Enrique Iglesias and plenty of other dudes and you're fine especially if you're balding like hell

FUT and FUE are trash

• Ugh..
  • +1
Reactions: ifyouwannabemylover, Deleted member 7098 and Deleted member 6512
I feel like everyone just gets FUE nowadays, very rarely do I see an FUT result on hair forums/sites.

• +1
Reactions: randomvanish
  • +1
Reactions: Casadonis and Deleted member 6512
Not all cases are that bad, besides you could camouflage it by getting scalp micro pigmentation among other things.
Negative. Just get a hair system. Serious. Hair transplants are painful as fuck and they look like shit anyway

Not all cases are that bad, besides you could camouflage it by getting scalp micro pigmentation among other things.
if you go to a good doc and have pale skin, FUE can be barely visible and you can cut your hair to a Nr. 1 or 2

It heals very quickly. 4 weeks ago, I had a hair transplant (also FUE) and the biggest issue/discomfort you might face post-op is swelling, which was pretty bad in my case, but it gradually went away after a couple of days.

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Deleted member 1464, Apeiron, Deleted member 4797 and 3 others
It heals very quickly. 4 weeks ago, I had a hair transplant (also FUE) and the biggest issue/discomfort you might face post-op is swelling, which was pretty bad in my case, but it gradually went away after a couple of days.
It's not the swelling, Is the back of the head having those white dots.

Negative. Just get a hair system. Serious. Hair transplants are painful as fuck and they look like shit anyway
The pain is absolutely worth it, trust me. Why would you want a hair system if you can have real hair? I can't imagine ever feeling confident wearing what is essentially a rich man's wig.

• +1
Reactions: Callooh_Calais and Deleted member 7098
FUT hair transplants? Is that ones you get from losing hair because all the stress in champs every weekend? Fucking possesion rats

The pain is absolutely worth it, trust me. Why would you want a hair system if you can have real hair? I can't imagine ever feeling confident wearing what is essentially a rich man's wig.
Because if your balding is to the point that hair transplants can't do much, just get a hair system. They look so damn real now. Look at Enrique Iglesias'. He's been using a hair system for almost 15 years now. He's never been found out.

The problem I see with hair transplants is they rarely ever look natural or look nice enough to the point where femoids would love to dig their fingers through your hair

It's not the swelling, Is the back of the head having those white dots.
That's what I'm saying, they're not even noticeable in my case and I doubt it's a wide-spread issue amongst those who opt for an FUE procedure. Your friend must have been unlucky.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1464 and Deleted member 6512
Why don’t you make a thread with pics and info ? So that users understand that fue is worth it.
You know it helps and it’s just your fkn forehead.

Because if your balding is to the point that hair transplants can't do much, just get a hair system. They look so damn real now. Look at Enrique Iglesias'. He's been using a hair system for almost 15 years now. He's never been found out.

The problem I see with hair transplants is they rarely ever look natural or look nice enough to the point where femoids would love to dig their fingers through your hair
How do you know that Iglesias has an hair system if he never got caught? Btw John Travolta used to wear hair systems for years, looked great
Dbbffd6bdda721953e3b6d103b2af2f6

• JFL
Reactions: Callooh_Calais

He's a celebrity, of course he can get away with it. Also, it requires a hell of a lot of maintenance, as opposed to a hair transplant.
But like I said, the psychological factor is not to be underestimated here, you WILL feel more comfortable having a real head of hair and that plays a huge factor in your daily life and how confident you will be.

And hair transplants can definitely look natural, depending on which clinic you will end up visiting for your procedure. If you're a European, it's best to visit a clinic in your native country, as opposed to visiting Turkey (who are infamous for their dirt-cheap procedures) reason being that Turkish men tend to have a different hairline in comparison to European/Caucasian men, which can lead to an odd-looking result.

What I will say is that if you do opt for a hair transplant, you should not expect to end up with a perfect, Zayn-like, NW0 hairline because that's not what the procedure is about, it's about restoring your mature hairline before you showed any signs of baldness. And as with most men, that means at least some sort of temple recession (which is normal, in all honesty). That might be the only department in which a hair system mogs a hair transplant.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 7098 and randomvanish
He's a celebrity, of course he can get away with it. Also, it requires a hell of a lot of maintenance, as opposed to a hair transplant.
But like I said, the psychological factor is not to be underestimated here, you WILL feel more comfortable having a real head of hair and that plays a huge factor in your daily life and how confident you will be.

And hair transplants can definitely look natural, depending on which clinic you will end up visiting for your procedure. If you're a European, it's best to visit a clinic in your native country, as opposed to visiting Turkey (who are infamous for their dirt-cheap procedures) reason being that Turkish men tend to have a different hairline in comparison to European/Caucasian men, which can lead to an odd-looking result.

What I will say is that if you do opt for a hair transplant, you should not expect to end up with a perfect, Zayn-like, NW0 hairline because that's not what the procedure is about, it's about restoring your mature hairline before you showed any signs of baldness. And as with most men, that means at least some sort of temple recession (which is normal, in all honesty). That might be the only department in which a hair system mogs a hair transplant.
Yeah the psychological aspect of hair system is the worst thing tbh. It adds so much stress of "getting caught" that idk if it's worth it compared to hair transplant.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 7098 and Gargantuan
Yeah the psychological aspect of hair system is the worst thing tbh. It adds so much stress of "getting caught" that idk if it's worth it compared to hair transplant.
Imagine all of the cortisol spikes you will get, going on dates/hooking up with girls, whenever they reach for your hair, so unnecessary and totally not worth it, imo.

I firmly believe that, unless you have an abundance of money/status or god-tier looks, that a (young) man simply cannot be confident if he doesn't have a full head of hair on his head, that is also real.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6512
Imagine all of the cortisol spikes you will get, going on dates/hooking up with girls, whenever they reach for your hair, so unnecessary and totally not worth it, imo.

I firmly believe that, unless you have an abundance of money/status or god-tier looks, that a (young) man simply cannot be confident if he doesn't have a full head of hair on his head, that is also real.
I'm bald but I'm confident tbh not coping

• Woah
Reactions: Gargantuan
I'm bald but I'm confident tbh not coping
Fr? If you have the skull shape to pull it off, I suppose that helps. But most men look like utter shit, balding or bald.
Prior to my hair transplant, I had been balding for over 5 years and it made me incredibly self-conscious.

Fr? If you have the skull shape to pull it off, I suppose that helps. But most men look like utter shit, balding or bald.
Prior to my hair transplant, I had been balding for over 5 years and it made me incredibly self-conscious.
Yeah I have to say I pull it off, I used to buzz but when I was a teen and once I shaved my friends and some girls used to tell me that it makes me look more masculine so I didn't care about it no more. I was self conscious as fuck while balding but once I started shaving it disappeard. It helped that basically a lot of men I used to think were cool were bald men (the usual Vin Diesel, Statham, but even Tupac, DMX ecc..) so by the time I discovered the blackpill I didn't care, I already had 3 LTR + 20 lays so no big deal.

• +1
Reactions: Apeiron and Gargantuan
Yeah I have to say I pull it off, I used to buzz but when I was a teen and once I shaved my friends and some girls used to tell me that it makes me look more masculine so I didn't care about it no more. I was self conscious as fuck while balding but once I started shaving it disappeard. It helped that basically a lot of men I used to think were cool were bald men (the usual Vin Diesel, Statham, but even Tupac, DMX ecc..) so by the time I discovered the blackpill I didn't care, I already had 3 LTR + 20 lays so no big deal.
That's nice to hear tbh. My main problem is that my forehead looks disproportionally large at NW2.5 (the level of baldness I used to have prior to my HT) and kills my harmony so I need to be at least NW1 with some degree of hair fraud to make it look good.

That's nice to hear tbh. My main problem is that my forehead looks disproportionally large at NW2.5 (the level of baldness I used to have prior to my HT) and kills my harmony so I need to be at least NW1 with some degree of hair fraud to make it look good.
Yeah I can understand, different solutions for different people I guess.

• +1
Reactions: Gargantuan

Cortisol spikes is good hormone desu just bad if elevated for long-term.

Or you know, you could just like, grow your hair out like a hair transplant is meant for instead of just shaving your head and showing off your dots

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1464
Or you know, you could just like, grow your hair out like a hair transplant is meant for instead of just shaving your head and showing off your dots
high iq