Downswing Ratio: find out how far you are from your GENETIC POTENTIAL with 1 simple equation

thecel

thecel

narrow-orbits brachy-skull ogre
Introduction to the Downswing Ratio

The downswing ratio is the difference between one's actual midface ratio (MFR) and their predicted midface ratio based on typical growth from infant to adult. Positive values indicate downward growth, and negative values indicate a more compact than usual midface.

Downswing ratio = (reference adult MFR) ÷ (reference infant MFR) × (MFR of the subject as a baby) − (the subject's current MFR)

The reference ratios should be measured from facial composites of people of the same gender and ethnicity as the subject. However, since it's hard to find composite images of infant faces, measuring from several photos of babies and taking the average is also acceptable. If you're lazy like me, you can just use a single sample.

The Downswing Ratio in Action (Case Study)

To demonstrate the application of the downswing ratio, we'll use a guy who has a very long midface as well as a very short IPD—me.

Screen Shot 2021 01 16 at 95238 PM

My midface ratio is 0.825.

Screen Shot 2021 01 16 at 95310 PM

When I was a baby, my midface ratio was 1.105.

For the reference ratios, I measured the midface ratios of this illustration of a generic adult and an infant:

The adult's midface ratio is 1.039, and the baby's midface ratio is 1.343.

Let's plug the numbers into the downswing ratio formula and see what comes out:

1.039 ÷ 1.343 × 1.105 − 0.825 = 0.02987

My downswing ratio is approximately +0.03, which means my midface ratio is about 0.03 lower than expected based on the typical midface lengthening factor from infant to adult.

Uses of the Downswing Ratio

A use of the downswing ratio is to calculate a very rough estimate of how much shorter one's midface could've been if they had mewed.

If we use the formula without subtracting the subject's current MFR, we get the subject's expected midface ratio, a.k.a. their "genetic potential."

Genetic potential MFR = (reference adult MFR) ÷ (reference infant MFR) × (MFR of the subject as a baby)

Here's mine:

1.039 ÷ 1.343 × 1.105 = 0.85487

0.85 is still a bad MFR.

From this number we can calculate (again a very rough estimate that's by no means scientifically accurate) the amount of excess midface length they have in absolute units such as millimeters.

X = distance to genetic potential in mm = (current IPD in mm) ÷ (current MFR) − (current IPD in mm) ÷ (genetic potential MFR)

A positive result from this formula means the subject's midface is X mm longer than its genetic potential, and a negative result means the midface is X mm shorter than its genetic potential.

Here's mine:

56 mm ÷ 0.825 − 56 mm ÷ 0.85487 = 2.37175 mm

Yeah, so if I had mewed and not mouth-breathed, my midface ratio would be only 2.4 mm shorter than it is now. That's barely anything!

The key takeaway from this case study: I'm genetically doomed from the beginning, and mewing couldn't've saved me.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
  • JFL
Reactions: UZB_Strebl, bodydmorph2004, Lookologist003 and 22 others
That is very interesting, I was thinking about how our faces develop since childhood and all the bones
All my bones looked normal when i was a kid...
maybe you weren't doomed, just bad environment

• +1
Reactions: Lethbridge, Deleted member 19301, thecel and 1 other person

• JFL
  • +1
  • Woah
Reactions: thecel, ifyouwannabemylover, Norwooder and 3 others
jk I read good thread op

• Love it
Reactions: thecel
show this to all mew copers

• +1
asian incels r high iq ngl

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: sayi, thecel, HighIQcel and 2 others
Interesting, but at different angles fwhr looks different.

• Woah
  • +1
Reactions: thecel and Need2Ascend
show this to all mew copers
My downswing ratio is small because I was born with a bad IPD and tallish maxilla. Some downward-grown people have high downswing ratios from severe mouth breathing, so it’s not cope for them

• +1
Reactions: bodydmorph2004
CORRECTION: It should be called the downswing index because it isn’t a ratio.

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: bodydmorph2004, Lookologist003 and Deleted member 4614
Bro no hate but all this is completely useless, it doesn't matter if you fucked your development up or if you're just genetically cursed, focus on now and strive for practical, actual improvement with what you have

• Hmm...
Sexyyy

• +1

The downswing ratio is the difference between one's actual midface ratio (MFR) and their predicted midface ratio based on typical growth from infant to adult. Positive values indicate downward growth, and negative values indicate a more compact than usual midface.

Downswing ratio = (reference adult MFR) ÷ (reference infant MFR) × (MFR of the subject as a baby) − (the subject's current MFR)

The reference ratios should be measured from facial composites of people of the same gender and ethnicity as the subject. However, since it's hard to find composite images of infant faces, measuring from several photos of babies and taking the average is also acceptable. If you're lazy like me, you can just use a single sample.

To demonstrate the application of the downswing ratio, we'll use a guy who has a very long midface as well as a very short IPD—me.

View attachment 933031

View attachment 933033

For the reference ratios, I measured the midface ratios of this illustration of a generic adult and an infant:

View attachment 933039

My downswing ratio is approximately +0.03, which means my midface ratio is about 0.03 lower than expected based on the typical midface lengthening factor from infant to adult.

A use of the downswing ratio is to calculate a very rough estimate of how much shorter one's midface could've been if they had mewed.

If we use the formula without subtracting the subject's current MFR, we get the subject's expected midface ratio, a.k.a. their "genetic potential."

Genetic potential MFR = (reference adult MFR) ÷ (reference infant MFR) × (MFR of the subject as a baby)

Here's mine:

0.85 is still a bad MFR.

From this number we can calculate (again a very rough estimate that's by no means scientifically accurate) the amount of excess midface length they have in absolute units such as millimeters.

X = distance to genetic potential in mm = (current IPD in mm) ÷ (current MFR) − (current IPD in mm) ÷ (genetic potential MFR)

A positive result from this formula means the subject's midface is X mm longer than its genetic potential, and a negative result means the midface is X mm shorter than its genetic potential.

Here's mine:

Yeah, so if I had mewed and not mouth-breathed, my midface ratio would be only 2.4 mm shorter than it is now. That's barely anything!

The key takeaway from this case study: I'm genetically doomed from the beginning, and mewing couldn't've saved me.
this is really cool but i actually don't have pictures of myself when i was a baby

• Woah
Low IQ thread, you were already recessed as a baby you can't use it as a base.

• Hmm...
Stop inventing theory...

• +1
  • WTF
Reactions: LowTierNormie, thecel and antiantifa
My midface is very compact tho
But my chin is recesed

• +1

View attachment 933031

View attachment 933033

View attachment 933039

Here's mine:

0.85 is still a bad MFR.

Here's mine:

to make this an actual legit theory you should use multiple reference measurements to create an average level to calculate someone's place on a standard deviation. one illustration isn't really enough

• +1
Damn by this my 0.845 midface could have been 0.954 which is increase by 9.6mm lol. If this true then I really did bad.

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: UZB_Strebl, Deleted member 4387 and thecel
Damn by this my 0.845 midface could have been 0.954 which is increase by 9.6mm lol. If this true then I really did bad.

Were you a mouth-breather during childhood?

• +1
Reactions: UZB_Strebl

View attachment 933031

View attachment 933033

View attachment 933039

Here's mine:

0.85 is still a bad MFR.

Here's mine:

Could I pm you plz could u help me measure 👑👑👑

View attachment 933031

View attachment 933033

View attachment 933039

Here's mine:

0.85 is still a bad MFR.

Here's mine:

Miring high iq

View attachment 933031

View attachment 933033

View attachment 933039

Here's mine:

0.85 is still a bad MFR.

Here's mine:

Does the nasion downswing with vertical growth?