Focal Length & Lens Distortion: How the Face Changes at Various Focal Lengths (From Incel to Chad w/ the Right Lens Theory)

SixFootManlet

SixFootManlet

Kraken

giphy.gif

focallength_steemit.gif

Focal length and lens distortion is very important when it comes to frauding top tier pics for Tinder and Instagram.

Most men will look at their Chaddiest at 200mm. 100mm is acceptable. But anything below that and you'll look like the subhuman you are.

The human eye's focal length is around 22mm. The iPhone X's focal length is 28-35mm. One Plus 7 has a 55mm focal length. Mind you this is their rear cameras - the portrait cameras in all smartphones are shit tier with awful focal lengths.

The solution? Take selfies with a 200mm DSLR mounted on a drone. Yes, real narcies use selfie-drones - selfie-sticks are for incels.

I have a ton of these focal length portrait gifs. If this thread gets any interest I'll share the rest.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: 189, Looks234, alex569 and 13 others
So thats why I look awful if I take selfies

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: king_bandon, Deleted member 761, delusionalretard and 9 others
Idk but in my case lens disortion dont hurt me at all.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 9048, cutecel and Currycellmate

giphy.gif

focallength_steemit.gif

Focal length and lens distortion is very important when it comes to frauding top tier pics for Tinder and Instagram.

Most men will look at their Chaddiest at 200mm. 100mm is acceptable. But anything below that and you'll look like the subhuman you are.

The human eye's focal length is around 22mm. The iPhone X's focal length is 28-35mm. One Plus 7 has a 55mm focal length. Mind you this is their rear cameras - the portrait cameras in all smartphones are shit tier with awful focal lengths.

The solution? Take selfies with a 200mm DSLR mounted on a drone. Yes, real narcies use selfie-drones - selfie-sticks are for incels.

I have a ton of these focal length portrait gifs. If this thread gets any interest I'll share the rest.
Does that mean one could photofraud by taking a picture with a 200mm lense?
And pictures taken with an iPhone X are fairly close to the reality right?

Here are some more gifs showing the effect of focal length on face:

Here's one for the currybois (@AbandonShip @john2 @chadpreetinthemaking @Titbot @Pex1992):

Idk but in my case lens disortion dont hurt me at all.
Depends on your facial features.

Also most people haven't had pro portrait shots taken at 100mm/200mm so you wouldn't have a point of reference.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1100
how far away should the drone be though?

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Looks234, Deleted member 4804 and Luke LLL
sadly we are threedimensional so this is paradoxically useless

• +1
Reactions: Barbarossa_
The human eye's focal length is around 22mm. The iPhone X's focal length is 28-35mm
that would mean that youre seen in real life like by the fucking front camera what ?!
The further away you are from the camera the more like in realaity you look. i dont look like in the camera in the mirror, nor do other people look like 22mm eggheads to me

Great.
Let me crosslink my post about this. And my complaint about the guidelines written in the rating section on how to take selfie.

• +1
Reactions: Golden Glass, cutecel and SixFootManlet
Does that mean one could photofraud by taking a picture with a 200mm lense?
Yeah, that's what I'm suggesting.

It's the easiest way for a normie to do extremely well and fish out of their league on Tinder. This is also how those "insta models" fraud on Instagram. Most insta models are regular normies IRL but they use lighting (will do a separate post about lighting one day), clever angles, filters, and the right focal length to make their appear far better looking than they actually are.

inb4 copes like "b-b-b-but she'll find out when you meet in real life!!!!". Whatever. This ain't photoshop. Pretty much all portrait shots for fashion mags are taken at 80-100mm anyway.

Some more gifs:

Here's a very good example:

• +1
Is it just me who prefers seeing women's faces on a lens with a short focal length, they just seem to be closer, like they are right here, not in a far away place.
bryci-bj-fun-02.jpg

giphy.gif

focallength_steemit.gif

Mix between very cringe and very. High iq tbh

that would mean that youre seen in real life like by the fucking front camera what ?!
The 22mm focal length of the eye is the raw physical measurement. The image you actually see is nowhere close to a 22mm front cam pic.

You see everything in motion and the brain blurs out all the imperfections that you might see in a still photo. This is why most people look better in motion in real life than in pictures.

More gifs:

If your cat looks ugly in your pics, this is why :lul: :

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1100 and Dragonslayer
Wait so youre implying high end cameras with high focal lengths make you look better than you do in irl?
Suifuel if true

• +1
Reactions: needsolution
Just use a drone for selfies theory

74EA01C3 7990 41F0 AA75 A4BC01EA7ACC
Gigachad with his selfie drone. reportably slayed over 1,300 tinder stacies last year alone.

good post OP might have to invest myself in a drone

• JFL
Reactions: Luke LLL
Great.
Let me crosslink my post about this. And my complaint about the guidelines written in the rating section on how to take selfie.

(y)

Too bad your post didn't get the replies it deserved - the autists on here are more interested in daydreaming about lefort 3 and stroma than making the most of their current situation.

Men who aren't in the top 0.1% (Chico, Gandy etc) would benefit a lot from learning how to take a photogenic selfie and use DSLR pics taken with a 200mm prime lens for their Tinder profile.

More gifs:

WIll post comparison pictures afterwards. Don't have any more gifs and I can't be arsed to make any.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1100, 6ft8InTheNetherlands, InZayn and 1 other person

giphy.gif

focallength_steemit.gif

And it's also lighting, i am impressed by how i look when i enter in room with LED all over the ceiling and look myself at mirror

Wait so youre implying high end cameras with high focal lengths make you look better than you do in irl?
Suifuel if true
>not sure if sarcasm or not
You don't need high end cameras.

A used entry-level DSLR with a cheap 200mm lens is enough.

The only difference these days between high-end and low-end DSLRs is the 1) video - the high-end ones can do 4k easy, 2) low-light photography, 3) high-speed photography for sports. That's it. For regular people -- as long as you shoot with optimal lighting outdoors -- it's not an issue.

And it's not like you have to go out and buy a DSLR - all I'm suggesting is that most normie-looking men need to get a couple dozen pro photos taken w/ a 100/200mm prime lens. There are plenty of young photographers in their 20s who'll do it for cheap (and sometimes free). You don't need to spend a ton of $$$ to hire a pro photog - target the young photogs fresh out of college.

3q52Dkr5nBe3i4rvL8ErWaBPivbAzVEW1d5toTzNWftCsaTNAx2bXWqhMiDYfywbnLgsw4mZPUYE2

And it's also lighting, i am impressed by how i look when i enter in room with LED all over the ceiling and look myself at mirror
Yeah lighting and angles (perspective) are very important as well. I'll make a separate post on them some other day.

• +1
what is usually either misunderstood or just mis stated by photograpers is that it is the distance from the camera that causes the distortion, not the specific focal length or the lens. It is Distance Distortion.

The images of the girl in the OP gets it right, stating the distance

• +1
Reactions: Hades, cutecel, InZayn and 1 other person

this gif disproves the need for a 200mm+ lens, which i also used to believe

a 24mm lens in this case, in the hands of a skilled photographer, produced excellent results, because he knew how to manipulate distance to prevent distortion. this is very good news actually

• +1
(y)

Too bad your post didn't get the replies it deserved
Thanks, i found so to. And also mainly hoped, they would change the guidelines&rules for the rating section.Because they mention nothing about this there. Yet at the same time, people base hige importance on their rating. Then it doesn't make sense, to not have very precise tips/info about how to take a picture that makes your face resemeble real life.

with a 200mm prime lens
what is usually either misunderstood or just mis stated by photograpers is that it is the distance from the camera that causes the distortion, not the specific focal length or the lens. It is Distance Distortion.

The images of the girl in the OP gets it right, stating the distance
I don't understand enough about this subject matter.
So the lens is less important, then the distance?
And the distance to resemble real life; depends on the lense?

I never seen a list or something, where they stated how far away you sould stand/be for 100% irl picture pared up with the type of lense. Or is there that?

I don't even know the common mm on phone camera.

a 24mm lens in this case, in the hands of a skilled photographer, produced excellent results, because he knew how to manipulate distance to prevent distortion. this is very good news actually
Thing is with sub 100mm you'd need to take it from far and crop hard. Unless the lighting is good and the camera has a top sensor (smartphones don't qualify - even APS-C DSLRs don't qualify) you'll get shit results with cropping.

Yes, it is about distance. But see above - cropping on budget tier cameras destroys the photos.

this gif disproves the need for a 200mm+ lens, which i also used to believe
The real reason behind shooting portraits with 85/100/200 is so you don't need to crop. Try cropping your photos taken with your phone - it'll look even crappier.

There's a reason real pros use a 50mm at a minimum for portraits, usually preferring 85/100mm. 200mm would be used more if not for the fact that 200mm primes are extremely expensive.
I don't even know the common mm on phone camera.
Only one Android phone has a decent focal length: 58mm - One Plus 7 Pro:

I never seen a list or something, where they stated how far away you sould stand/be for 100% irl picture pared up with the type of lense. Or is there that?
^Obviously ignore the "no surgery" cope but it's still a good article.

See this video for the terminology:

One more gif:

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1100, eduardkoopman, InZayn and 1 other person
yes cropping is the one big downside

on the other hand, 200mm+ lenses are very expensive and inconvenient and hard to shoot with

there has to be a middle ground of focal length and distance, which i would say is around 100mm. but with such a lens, it still has to be taken from very far away and cropped, so as to simulate the effect of a 1000mm lens, if that is possible. for the purposes of obtaining the absolute best picture of your face, the cropping doesn't matter. you only need high megapixel count if you're going to print. for a digital photo that's less than 1mp, you have a lot of room to crop, therefore to improve the picture

if the above is not possible, you have to do a one-time photoshoot and pay someone to capture your face with a 1000mm lens

if someone is an expert and knows whether the perspective of a 1000mm lens can be simulated with a 100mm lens at a distance, let us know

Here are some more gifs showing the effect of focal length on face:

Here's one for the currybois (@AbandonShip @john2 @chadpreetinthemaking @Titbot @Pex1992):

Depends on your facial features.

Also most people haven't had pro portrait shots taken at 100mm/200mm so you wouldn't have a point of reference.

Legit, thats why I think to get an accurate idea of what you look like, you should get the best camera you can get your hands on, and record a video of yourself in motion under natural lighting outside. And move slowly to get accurate stills of each angle.

Whats closest to real life?

I love this kinda stuff.

My photos from my DLSR camera definitely make a difference on Tinder and i have tested extensively.

The thing is, we have two eyes in different areas and our brains make the image from two sensors..

I read somewhere that 40mm is somewhere approximate to what human eyes see

Last edited:
This cope would be gone if you did this experiment with a Chad, which none of the above are. You would see fast that yes, lens distortion is real, but that the human mind that parses out your overall attractiveness works at any length. In other words, you can tell a guy is a Chad even from a distorted picture.

• +1
Reactions: HighIQcel and kota
Yes, it is about distance. But see above - cropping on budget tier cameras destroys the photos.
I can only speak as to iphones. Specifically my current XR (but you could do this on prior iphones I had). In photo mode, rear facing camera (selfie camera is for morons). On either the 'photo' or 'square' settings (but curiously not the 'portrait' setting), you can zoom in quite a bit. Thus you can take face pictures from 6' to 8' without having to crop too much.

If you have low ES ratio, lens distortion will actually make it look better.

• +1
Reactions: Gaia262
Who cares just get a lefort 5000... JK... legit post

This is what actual high IQ posts about cameras look like. You don't need a fucking telephoto lens for Tinder.

I can only speak as to iphones. Specifically my current XR (but you could do this on prior iphones I had). In photo mode, rear facing camera (selfie camera is for morons). On either the 'photo' or 'square' settings (but curiously not the 'portrait' setting), you can zoom in quite a bit. Thus you can take face pictures from 6' to 8' without having to crop too much.

Is that optical zoom though? I got a oneplus 7 and anything beyond 1.5x starts affecting the photo quality. Digital zoom is essentially the same as cropping - it's just cropping in real-time.

The portrait setting on all phones is complete shite. All it does it smoothen your skin and blur the background. Better to do that yourself in post.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1100 and Deleted member 470
You can't compare the focal length of the eye to a camera because a camera is a flat image and the eye image is projected to a curved surface, and then interpreted by the brain from 2 different sources.

I think the closest to real life would be 70-100mm camera lens, higher lengths only have a subtle effect whereas it's the small lengths that cause drastic warping like with smartphones.

Best way to take selfies is to buy or borrow a dslr and get a friend or family member to take pictures. If you're a total loner then set up the camera on a tripod to take video, and then go through the video frame by frame to find good shots.

THIS IS WHY MY INSTAGRAM IS SHIT

HuXNqk9l.jpg

I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO DIE

Best way to take selfies is to buy or borrow a dslr and get a friend or family member to take pictures. If you're a total loner then set up the camera on a tripod to take video, and then go through the video frame by frame to find good shots.
Video is a bad way to do it. Most can do 1080p video only and you're ruining any cropping ability in post.

Most DSLRs have an articulating screen or you can attach an external display like a tablet or a phone. Then just use a IR remote and take a ton of photos.

Tripod is better than having other people take pics. Unless they're aware of basic photography concepts, they always mess it up.

• +1
Video is a bad way to do it. Most can do 1080p video only and you're ruining any cropping ability in post.

Most DSLRs have an articulating screen or you can attach an external display like a tablet or a phone. Then just use a IR remote and take a ton of photos.

Tripod is better than having other people take pics. Unless they're aware of basic photography concepts, they always mess it up.
good advice for 15 years ago

today any dslr will allow wireless connection with phone using the manufacturer's app, and on the phone you can control all camera settings, focus, aperture, zoom, etc, and take the picture yourself. all you need is a tripod and the biggest lens you can afford (I recommend 1200mm)

also there is no actual need for a dslr. just get a mirrorless camera

Here are some more comparison shots (click the pic for full size):

^That's the chick in the gif

it's incredible how the improvement doesn't stop

the higher you go in mm the better the subject looks. of course there are diminishing returns and the changes are incremental, but if you need every 0.1/10 of looks you can get, you will come to the logical conclusion that 1200mm is the only way to go

also very important: high mm makes the shoulders look wider

MAJOR improvement for framecels

• +1
Reactions: SixFootManlet and cutecel
also there is no actual need for a dslr. just get a mirrorless camera
dslr/dslt - same shit

When I say DSLR I don't mean LITERALLY a DSLR, son. Any camera tech and form factor with a decent sensor that supports a multitude of lenses would be fine.
today any dslr will allow wireless connection with phone using the manufacturer's app, and on the phone you can control all camera settings, focus, aperture, zoom, etc, and take the picture yourself. all you need is a tripod and the biggest lens you can afford (I recommend 1200mm)
Have you actually tried those apps? Slow as fuck. I'll stick to basic IR remotes.

>1200mm
You have to be trolling. :feelswhat:

85/100/200mm primes are the best for portraits. If you can't buy them (and you shouldn't buy them even if you can - unless you're a pro photog making a living off of this), rent them. Rentals aren't that expensive.

dslr/dslt - same shit

When I say DSLR I don't mean LITERALLY a DSLR, son. Any camera tech and form factor with a decent sensor that supports a multitude of lenses would be fine.

Have you actually tried those apps? Slow as fuck. I'll stick to basic IR remotes.

>1200mm
You have to be trolling. :feelswhat:

85/100/200mm primes are the best for portraits. If you can't buy them (and you shouldn't buy them even if you can - unless you're a pro photog making a living off of this), rent them. Rentals aren't that expensive.
yes i have been using them for years, and they have been excellent. not sure what cameras you're using. i've used the nikon and canon and sony apps, and they're all excellent. no one in their right mind would use a ir remote for this unless they're 70+ or somehow unable to use phone. with the app you can stand anywhere you want and just tap to focus on your face. ir remote doesn't even compare

also, as i said, you can never have too much mm

here's a great shot at 800mm

also check out this handsome fella

Is that optical zoom though? I got a oneplus 7 and anything beyond 1.5x starts affecting the photo quality. Digital zoom is essentially the same as cropping - it's just cropping in real-time.

The portrait setting on all phones is complete shite. All it does it smoothen your skin and blur the background. Better to do that yourself in post.
I did some tests, and I think you are correct, data is proportionately lost when I use the zoom function on the iphone. I was unaware of this because of the compression that is used when transmitting the files. But it still provides adequate data, either cropped or zoomed, for a decent face photo from 6', so I think you are slightly overstating the effect of cropping at least as regards iphones in the 6' range. But yea, you get past 7' and the cropped face pic starts to become pixelated.

The mirror or you could always create a true mirror if you want some suifuel for asymmetries
Already know about that shit

I mean mm of camera to look as close to real life