From an evolutionary perspective, why is there a preference for small ears?

OldRooster

OldRooster

Get off my lawn!
Bigger ears would mean better hearing, and would suggest greater general development and health.
So why do humans have a preference for smaller ears?

I don't think we have a preference for small ears just ears that are set back, nobody notices ear unless you can see it from the front, which means that your hearing would be worse from more angles than normal ears which are more ideal for survival.

I am thinking that because ears continue to grow throughout life, that ears are used as a subliminal indicator of age. Big ears = old = less desirable.

• +1
Reactions: Effortless and Deleted member 1100
I am thinking that because ears continue to grow throughout life, that ears are used as a subliminal indicator of age. Big ears = old = less desirable.

Possibly that and because smaller ears are more aesthetically, you'd need to investigate this with some isolated tribe though to see their preference, so it could give a hint if that's the cause or if it's a cultural western thing.

Keep in mind, not everything is about being more fit to survival, humans and many animals can appreciate beauty just for the sake of it and make that the standard

ears are the same length as noses, long nose means long midface, long midface equates to non ideal growth

ears are the same length as noses, long nose means long midface, long midface equates to non ideal growth
jfl no .my nose is way shorter than my ears

Small ears to hear less the bullshit that everyone say nkwadays, specially women

• JFL
Reactions: Bewusst and FatJattMofo