Guide to Norwood Scale (with some commentary)

LordNorwood

LordNorwood

This Too Shall Pass
Making this guide because many people seem confused on how to estimate a Norwood level. To clear this up, I'm going to post the official scale alongside what I believe are examples of it in IRL, and then explain where I think the confusion is coming from. This is also the first of a series of high effort hair threads. Let's dive right in.

NW0
NW0 is not a real classification on the Norwood scale, but it does seem to have been mentioned by a few somewhat reputable sources (I've found a hair clinic that uses it as a classification). This is not just no recession, but denotes the coveted low, square hairline that not many people actually have in real life.

Sometimes this looks good, sometimes in my opinion the forehead can get too tiny and end up looking comical. In the above pictures it looks the best on Zayn.
Notice the almost complete lack of temple exposure.
The Telltale Signs of NW0: Low and dense, and straight across the forehead.

NW1
This is where the Norwood scale actually begins.

This is generally taken to mean "no hair loss", but allows for a very small amount of wiggle room on the temples.

Notice the distinction between 1 and 0: for NW1, the hairline is a bit higher, and if you look closely you can see a bit of a dip in the temples - the hairline is not straight all the way across. This is more obvious on Pitt than Ackles in the two pictures. Look in particular at Brad Pitt's left temple (to us) in the above picture and compare with Ross's exposed hairline in the NW0 section.
Hardcore PSLers will (hopefully) ironically say NW0 or death, but an NW1 is pretty much a perfect hairline. In my opinion it usually looks more "natural", whereas an NW0 runs the risk of giving you kind of a monkey look, or, if you achieved it through HT, a transplant look. NW0 and NW1 both are vastly superior to what follows however.
Tell Tale Signs of an NW1: No real recession to speak of, but a very slight "curve" in the temples will be present.

NW2

The more "official" pictures I grabbed are kind of shit at depicting this, ngl. The visual examples below will be better, but basically a Norwood 2 is when recession is undeniable, but the island of hair at the widow's peak has not yet begun to form. This usually means a V hairline, but it can come in the form of an M too. The key to look for is that the hairline never dips "behind" the island at any point. If it does, you are past an NW2.

In the above pictures I would say that Leo has the classic NW2, Colbert is just a little past, and Reynolds is a little below a true NW2 (but not at 1). Notice the perfect "V" in Leo's hairline, and notice that Colbert's is beginning to dip "behind" the island a little at the top of his right temple.
This is the hairline most men in their twenties and beyond have. It's pretty normal, which is why its referred to as the "mature hairline". At this point, you still won't be considered to be "balding" by most normal people.
Telltale Signs of an NW2: The temples are gone, but if you were to trace the hairline with a finger you would never be able to find a perfectly straight line from the front of the hairline to a corner in the back. In other words, the temple loss doesn't curve inwards.

NW3

Again, not the best pictures but it is what it is. Just consistency at this point.
A Norwood 3 is when the presence of an "island" of hair at the front of the hairline is undoubtedly discernible. Usually, the hairline has gone in a bit as well.

Notice, especially in the third picture, that it looks like you could run your finger through the corner of a temple and end up behind the hairline itself. That, in my opinion, is the true distinguishing feature between a true Norwood 3 and a Norwood 2, along with the island. Most guys who are balding and are freaking out about it on here are somewhere between a 2 and a 3, myself included.
If you have an NW3, you are undeniably balding. People will probably notice and even point it out. You're past a "mature" hairline at this point.
Tell Tale Signs of NW3: Dipped in corners, island of hair, in addition to completely bald temples.

NW4

At a Norwood 4, the balding process continues. Typically this also comes alongside crown balding, but not always. The defining feature however is the diminishing of the island at the front. Compared to a Norwood 3, the island is now much smaller, and indeed, nearly gone. This is the point where in my opinion you basically need to shave it off in almost all cases. Very few people can pull off an NW4. In other words, its over.

Its tough to find other good pictures besides Jude Law, but he's basically a perfect model of an NW4. Nearly every other picture is a pre-transplant picture, because at this point you've pretty much either shaved it or done something about it. Notice another defining feature of the NW4: the hair directly behind the island has seriously thinned, leaving a bald/very thin strip between the island and the rest of the hair.
Basically all your frontal hair is gone except for that little island who is putting up its heroic last stand.
Tell Tale Signs of NW4: No frontal hair except small island, thinning behind island.

NW5

At this point there may be small tufts of hair still in the frontal region, but more or less the frontal region can be considered virtually gone, especially when it comes to true acceptable coverage. Usually at this point your crown is getting fucked pretty hard too, leaving just that strip of hair between crown and frontal region.

The scale itself continues past this point, up to 7 in some renditions I believe, but I don't think there's any point covering more Norwoods seeing at this point its already so over that your only hope is pretty much hair system. Even a transplant at this stage, while certainly a big help, will not truly reproduce good looking hair for you.
Tell Tale Signs of a NW5: Its over.

Closing Thoughts
  • The reason why many people are confused about the scale here is because of the inclusion of the NW0, which seems to have pushed every hairline up by 1. More often than not I see Norwoods being overjudged here as opposed to the opposite. For many people it seems like NW0 = NW1 in everyone else's vernacular.
  • If you're between two Norwoods, this is usually handled by tacking a ".5" onto the previous Norwood. For example, before finasteride I was past a Norwood 2, but not quite a Norwood 3. Therefore I was a Norwood 2.5.
  • Norwood 0 and 1 are both halos. Norwood 2 is neutral. Norwood 3 is a failo. Norwood 4 and past is a severe failo.
  • The Norwood scale is more complex when you also deal with vertex variance, but I think focusing only on the hairline itself is best for PSL. After all, if you start losing crown hair its fucking over, so why even catalogue it? Just do something about it or shave it.
  • All pictures of real people used more or less line up with what many hair sites consider to be representative of the Norwood scale.
  • If you are even a hair past NW2, get on a 5AR inhibitor I M M E D I A T E L Y.
@PrettyBoyMaxxing @OOGABOOGA @Seth Walsh @Alarico8 @Rift678 @EthnicelAscension @Fuk @Dr Shekelberg @Roping Subhuman @BigBiceps @BigChinHispanic @Dogs @other people I'm too lazy to tag

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
  • So Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 9699, pizza, mewcoper and 28 others
dn read

• JFL
  • So Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 2227 and LordNorwood
will read later, good thread.

• +1
Reactions: LordNorwood
read every word

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 3902, Justttt and LordNorwood
can't see majority of your pics brah

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Kingkellz, EthnicelAscension, DianabolDownie and 2 others
Lovely, I have a round feminine hairline

• Woah
  • So Sad
Reactions: LordNorwood and Deleted member 2227
Oh god I think I'm balding

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Be_ConfidentBro and LordNorwood
I shaved my temples back to make forehead look wider and now it kinda looks like I have a NW1

• +1
Reactions: EthnicelAscension
  • +1
Legit thread, good job clearing up NW0 vs. NW1, I have yet to see what a NW 0.5 looks like JFL
I shaved my temples back to make forehead look wider and now it kinda looks like I have a NW1
I did that around this time last year, it was a looksmin.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5539, DianabolDownie, LordNorwood and 1 other person
Oops! We ran into some problems.
The requested page could not be found.

many many pics

• So Sad
Wide forehead is bad.
well its my narrow skull, it helped to make it look a bit wider, the few guys that saw on discord said it helped

• Woah
Reactions: Deleted member 2227
Wide forehead is bad.
Huh? Broad forehead with square hairline to go with wide cheekbones and jaw is literally ideal

• +1
I agree 100% on NW0 vs NW1. I used to kind of manipulate my hair to have a perfect, squared NW0 type of look and it looked extremely ethnic, probably not a bad thing for everyone but in my case it was meh.

• +1
I’m so close to nw2 :feelsrope:

• So Sad
Good thread OP.

On Norwood 0 though, I would correct that the classification applies to juvenile (or even feminine) hairlines with zero temple recession. Zero temple recession typically doesn't mean the hairline is straight, but slightly rounded out at the very corners. There are varying degrees of this, but here is an extreme example for demonstration purposes:

He can still lose a good amount of the the fluffy-looking temple hair and end up with a hairline like Zayn, who also has a downward sloping hairline at the corners, just to less of an extreme, but is still obviously an NW0:

The appearance of the hairline is still fairly straight obviously, but you can usually tell when someone is a true NW0 due to the rounded corners, as well as due to the hair follicles in that area naturally laying in a flat/sideways growth pattern, similar to the hair on the temporal points or side of head in general.

Also, Jensen Ackles in the pic you posted above is considered a NW0. Notice the slight divergent growth pattern of the finer, juvenile hair in the very corners of his hairline as well as the downward slope of the frontal hairline as it meets the temple points.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 2227 and LordNorwood
Good thread OP.

On Norwood 0 though, I would correct that the classification applies to juvenile (or even feminine) hairlines with zero temple recession. Zero temple recession typically doesn't mean the hairline is straight, but slightly rounded out at the very corners. There are varying degrees of this, but here is an extreme example for demonstration purposes:

View attachment 277311

He can still lose a good amount of the the fluffy-looking temple hair and end up with a hairline like Zayn, who also has a downward sloping hairline at the corners, just to less of an extreme, but is still obviously an NW0:

View attachment 277327View attachment 277324

The appearance of the hairline is still fairly straight obviously, but you can usually tell when someone is a true NW0 due to the rounded corners, as well as due to the hair follicles in that area naturally laying in a flat/sideways growth pattern, similar to the hair on the temporal points or side of head in general.
Great addition, I completely agree

• +1
Reactions: varbrah
TFW norwood 4

• So Sad
Making this guide because many people seem confused on how to estimate a Norwood level. To clear this up, I'm going to post the official scale alongside what I believe are examples of it in IRL, and then explain where I think the confusion is coming from. This is also the first of a series of high effort hair threads. Let's dive right in.

NW0
NW0 is not a real classification on the Norwood scale, but it does seem to have been mentioned by a few somewhat reputable sources (I've found a hair clinic that uses it as a classification). This is not just no recession, but denotes the coveted low, square hairline that not many people actually have in real life.
View attachment 277303View attachment 277304View attachment 277268

Sometimes this looks good, sometimes in my opinion the forehead can get too tiny and end up looking comical. In the above pictures it looks the best on Zayn.

NW1
View attachment 277305
This is generally taken to mean "no hair loss", but allows for a very small amount of wiggle room on the temples.
View attachment 277263View attachment 277306
Notice the distinction between 1 and 0: for NW1, the hairline is a bit higher, and if you look closely you can see a bit of a dip in the temples - the hairline is not straight all the way across. This is more obvious on Pitt than Ackles in the two pictures. Look in particular at Brad Pitt's left temple (to us) in the above picture and compare with Ross's exposed hairline in the NW0 section.
Hardcore PSLers will (hopefully) ironically say NW0 or death, but an NW1 is pretty much a perfect hairline. In my opinion it usually looks more "natural", whereas an NW0 runs the risk of giving you kind of a monkey look, or, if you achieved it through HT, a transplant look. NW0 and NW1 both are vastly superior to what follows however.
Tell Tale Signs of an NW1: No real recession to speak of, but a very slight "curve" in the temples will be present.

NW2
View attachment 277307
The more "official" pictures I grabbed are kind of shit at depicting this, ngl. The visual examples below will be better, but basically a Norwood 2 is when recession is undeniable, but the island of hair at the widow's peak has not yet begun to form. This usually means a V hairline, but it can come in the form of an M too. The key to look for is that the hairline never dips "behind" the island at any point. If it does, you are past an NW2.
View attachment 277309View attachment 277312View attachment 277315
In the above pictures I would say that Leo has the classic NW2, Colbert is just a little past, and Reynolds is a little below a true NW2 (but not at 1). Notice the perfect "V" in Leo's hairline, and notice that Colbert's is beginning to dip "behind" the island a little at the top of his right temple.
This is the hairline most men in their twenties and beyond have. It's pretty normal, which is why its referred to as the "mature hairline". At this point, you still won't be considered to be "balding" by most normal people.
Telltale Signs of an NW2: The temples are gone, but if you were to trace the hairline with a finger you would never be able to find a perfectly straight line from the front of the hairline to a corner in the back. In other words, the temple loss doesn't curve inwards.

NW3
View attachment 277316
Again, not the best pictures but it is what it is. Just consistency at this point.
A Norwood 3 is when the presence of an "island" of hair at the front of the hairline is undoubtedly discernible. Usually, the hairline has gone in a bit as well.
View attachment 277317View attachment 277318View attachment 277319
Notice, especially in the third picture, that it looks like you could run your finger through the corner of a temple and end up behind the hairline itself. That, in my opinion, is the true distinguishing feature between a true Norwood 3 and a Norwood 2, along with the island. Most guys who are balding and are freaking out about it on here are somewhere between a 2 and a 3, myself included.
If you have an NW3, you are undeniably balding. People will probably notice and even point it out. You're past a "mature" hairline at this point.
Tell Tale Signs of NW3: Dipped in corners, island of hair, in addition to completely bald temples.

NW4
View attachment 277320
At a Norwood 4, the balding process continues. Typically this also comes alongside crown balding, but not always. The defining feature however is the diminishing of the island at the front. Compared to a Norwood 3, the island is now much smaller, and indeed, nearly gone. This is the point where in my opinion you basically need to shave it off in almost all cases. Very few people can pull off an NW4. In other words, its over.
View attachment 277321
Its tough to find other good pictures besides Jude Law, but he's basically a perfect model of an NW4. Nearly every other picture is a pre-transplant picture, because at this point you've pretty much either shaved it or done something about it. Notice another defining feature of the NW4: the hair directly behind the island has seriously thinned, leaving a bald/very thin strip between the island and the rest of the hair.
Basically all your frontal hair is gone except for that little island who is putting up its heroic last stand.
Tell Tale Signs of NW4: No frontal hair except small island, thinning behind island.

NW5
View attachment 277322
At this point there may be small tufts of hair still in the frontal region, but more or less the frontal region can be considered virtually gone, especially when it comes to true acceptable coverage. Usually at this point your crown is getting fucked pretty hard too, leaving just that strip of hair between crown and frontal region.
View attachment 277323
The scale itself continues past this point, up to 7 in some renditions I believe, but I don't think there's any point covering more Norwoods seeing at this point its already so over that your only hope is pretty much hair system. Even a transplant at this stage, while certainly a big help, will not truly reproduce good looking hair for you.

Closing Thoughts
  • The reason why many people are confused about the scale here is because of the inclusion of the NW0, which seems to have pushed every hairline up by 1. More often than not I see Norwoods being overjudged here as opposed to the opposite. For many people it seems like NW0 = NW1 in everyone else's vernacular.
  • If you're between two Norwoods, this is usually handled by tacking a ".5" onto the previous Norwood. For example, before finasteride I was past a Norwood 2, but not quite a Norwood 3. Therefore I was a Norwood 2.5.
  • Norwood 0 and 1 are both halos. Norwood 2 is neutral. Norwood 3 is a failo. Norwood 4 and past is a severe failo.
  • The Norwood scale is more complex when you also deal with vertex variance, but I think focusing only on the hairline itself is best for PSL. After all, if you start losing crown hair its fucking over, so why even catalogue it? Just do something about it or shave it.
  • All pictures of real people used more or less line up with what many hair sites consider to be representative of the Norwood scale.
  • If you are even a hair past NW2, get on a 5AR inhibitor I M M E D I A T E L Y.
@PrettyBoyMaxxing @OOGABOOGA @Seth Walsh @Alarico8 @Rift678 @EthnicelAscension @Fuk @Dr Shekelberg @Roping Subhuman @BigBiceps @BigChinHispanic @Dogs @other people I'm too lazy to tag
My hairline looks like DiCaprio. Thing is though, I don't think he's even norwooding, his hairlines always been like that hasn't it?
Who is this?

• +1
My hairline looks like DiCaprio. Thing is though, I don't think he's even norwooding, his hairlines always been like that hasn't it?
Who is this?
No, DiCaprio used to have a better hairline.

This is early 20s I believe. You can tell he's already receding at this point as well (just like most men), but his hairline is much better than the one in the OP - look at how far back his temples go in the OP pic.
Virtually one is born with an NW2+ imo. Everyone always thinks they've "always had" the hairline. Chances are they just receded very early, or they receded so slowly they didn't notice. I receded very, very slowly up until it suddenly started to rapidly speed up around 22. I also coped with "I think my hair was always like this"

Attachments

• 1582349124866.png
    1582349124866.png
    150.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 1582349139511.png
    1582349139511.png
    65.4 KB · Views: 78
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 3202
No, DiCaprio used to have a better hairline.
View attachment 277342View attachment 277344View attachment 277346
This is early 20s I believe. You can tell he's already receding at this point as well (just like most men), but his hairline is much better than the one in the OP - look at how far back his temples go in the OP pic.
Virtually one is born with an NW2+ imo. Everyone always thinks they've "always had" the hairline. Chances are they just receded very early, or they receded so slowly they didn't notice. I receded very, very slowly up until it suddenly started to rapidly speed up around 22. I also coped with "I think my hair was always like this"
Well my father and his father have the same hairline as me, I just have a big forehead and high hairline. Even in childhood pics it looked like old Leonardo DiCaprio's hairline, fml I guess.

• +1
Well my father and his father have the same hairline as me, I just have a big forehead and high hairline. Even in childhood pics it looked like old Leonardo DiCaprio's hairline, fml I guess.
If you're fine with it right now, the best advice is simply to keep an eye on it and see if it recedes further. Take a pic every week. Other than that, there's nothing to worry about.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 3202
If you're fine with it right now, the best advice is simply to keep an eye on it and see if it recedes further. Take a pic every week. Other than that, there's nothing to worry about.
I'll shave it if I start norwooding, I'm used to very short hair to no hair anyway.

• +1
norwood 1 and 2 are fine

once u get to 3+ u need to start fin tho tbh

• +1
Where do we Inherit balding genes from mom or dad side??

• So Sad
norwood 1 and 2 are fine

once u get to 3+ u need to start fin tho tbh
At nw3 it’s time to consider a HT. Ideally I’d jump on fin if you got past nw2, like nw2.5 or so

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 3962 and LordNorwood
Good thread.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 3202 and LordNorwood
Better than the "hurr durr, I'm NW4, but still have more hair than I had as a child, here is picture of me as infant with NW6" copers

• JFL
Reactions: Zeta ascended, LordNorwood and ChaddeusPeuterschmit
I’m nw2 it’s over

I'm nw2 at 20yr

My grandad started going bald at 20yr too.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 8028 and ChaddeusPeuterschmit
Brutal how Leonardo went from NW1 in titanic to NW2-2.5 and little of bodyfat and facial hair destroyed his appeal JFL

Hairline and bodyfat is so crucial

• So Sad
Reactions: ChaddeusPeuterschmit
What's a good 5AR inhibitor besides fin? Looking for one with fewer sides.

Is zac Efron nw1 or nw0

I was born with NW1 I Think, it has been that way for as long as I can remember and when looking at pics from highschool it's the same as it is now (i'm 22)

Is it still called NW1 if you were born with it? I mean it's not technically balding (yet).

imagine being born with a nw2 hairline,
Fucking over for me

NW0
View attachment 277303View attachment 277304View attachment 277268

NW1
View attachment 277305
View attachment 277263View attachment 277306

NW2
View attachment 277307
View attachment 277309View attachment 277312View attachment 277315

NW3
View attachment 277316
View attachment 277317View attachment 277318View attachment 277319

NW4
View attachment 277320
View attachment 277321

NW5
View attachment 277322
View attachment 277323

Closing Thoughts
what if I had since birth a high set hairline but have no temple recession?
Is that anywhere between NW 0-1?

im 14

Last edited: