Harmony - Compact Midface

M

mesr

Bronze
i've read alot that the range of 0.95-1.05 is acceptable, but you want to maximize aesthetics it's really important to have a compact midface.

ideal midface is around 1-1.05

if the midface is below 1, you will most likely benefit from philtrum reduction if your IPD isnt below average. bad IPD ruins all chances at aesthetics though

Longer philtrum = look older. this applies to everyone. this is not good, you want to look youthful for as long as possible.

this is why good looking men have longer lower thirds, to balance out their long philtrums (about 2mm longer than women on average)

the ideal male though has a short philtrum and a proportional lower third. you will look very youthful with this kind of facial proportion

lachowski - 1.02
barrett - 1.08. long philtrum but high IPD
chou tzuyu - 1.01, crazy short philtrum. her lower third is shorter than her midface.

leonardo with longer midface:

chris hemsworth - 0.95. looks better and more youthful with compact midface. My shitty morph fucked his lips a little bit and he still looks better

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero, thecel and Deleted member 439
Daily reminder that harmony is a meme and nobody has yet to explain what it really means

• +1
Reactions: thomaspowers, xeqri, VolcelFTW and 6 others
I just explained how midface affects harmony

• +1
Reactions: zz67
I probably have the most narrow IPD on this forum tbh

• JFL
Reactions: zz67
Daily reminder that harmony is a meme and nobody has yet to explain what it really means
Harmony = Good Ratios + Coloring

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 685
The anime blackpill is that most good looking characters have compact midfaces and short lower thirds

you would also look really unique with this kind of facial ratio and it would make you stand out even more

The anime blackpill is that most good looking characters have compact midfaces and short lower thirds
vegeta.jpg

Vegeta is norwooding like crazy he needs to hop on fin ASAP tbh ngl jfl

• +1
  • JFL
  • So Sad
Reactions: HighIQcel, Over, samm735 and 6 others
vegeta.jpg

Vegeta is norwooding like crazy he needs to hop on fin ASAP tbh ngl jfl
it be like this for many men

you would also look really unique with this kind of facial ratio and it would make you stand out even more
ive heard that long lower thirds were more ideal, because it makes the jaw stand out more. but you may be right, not 100% sure on that.

i might have a short mid third, was kind of worried ab it. maybe the long lower third thing was a meme

how do you check if you have a short lower third?

clear skin and good coloring is essential for harmony as well.

• +1
Reactions: Traxanas and Deleted member 2426
it be like this for many men

ive heard that long lower thirds were more ideal, because it makes the jaw stand out more. but you may be right, not 100% sure on that.

i might have a short mid third, was kind of worried ab it. maybe the long lower third thing was a meme

how do you check if you have a short lower third?

There’s a lot of freedom in lower third height. As long as it’s proportional to the philtrum and and philtrum isn’t over 17mm it’s fine. The ratio can be anywhere from 2-2.4

Since the majority of men have philtrums longer than women, the lower third has to be longer to be proportional

Compare Lower third height to total facial height

• +1
Reactions: zz67 and Deleted member 656
Okay we all know a compact midface is ideal. You act like theres something you can do to fix long midfaces, which there isnt. JFL

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 656
There’s a lot of freedom in lower third height. As long as it’s proportional to the philtrum and and philtrum isn’t over 17mm it’s fine. The ratio can be anywhere from 2-2.4

Since the majority of men have philtrums longer than women, the lower third has to be longer to be proportional

Compare Lower third height to total facial height
My philtrum is 10mm. Time to rope

I believe that is it;
Short mid faces are superior than long ones on average in studies because a significant part of long faces have craniofacial dystrophy, if you can keep a vertical alignment at the Frankfort horizontal plane position you'll be attractive, the thing is that the longer your face is the more unlikely that is because it demands the mandible to be longer (because they are further at a downward angle to match the face height). I believe low FWHr with perfect vertical alignment are more attractive than high FWHr with perfect vertical alignment because they have a bigger skull and the longer high T mandible.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 685, Pendejo, Deleted member 656 and 1 other person
@dodt gtfih

• +1
I believe that is it;
Short mid face are superior than long one on average in studies because a significant part of long faces have craniofacial dystrophy, if you can keep a vertical alignment at the Frankfort horizontal plane position you'll be attractive, the thing is that the longer your face is the more unlikely that is because it demands the mandible to be longer. I believe low FWHr with perfect vertical alignment are more attractive than high FWHr with perfect vertical alignment because they have a bigger skull and the longer high T mandible.
Legit low fwhr but perfect mandible alignment is rarer than high fwhr perfect alignment. Usually as well the guy tends to have a taller height

• +1
Reactions: Dude420 and Deleted member 656
what is the ideal philtrum height?

• +1
what is the ideal philtrum height?
12 to 15 mm as a general rule. If you're in that bracket your philtrum isn't the problem, it's your long nose or narrow IPD. Anywhere up to 17 is tolerable but beyond that you've got a problem.

• +1
Reactions: why am I here
12 to 15 mm as a general rule. If you're in that bracket your philtrum isn't the problem, it's your long nose or narrow IPD. Anywhere up to 17 is tolerable but beyond that you've got a problem.
yeah, my philtrum is 13-14mm. can rhinoplasty fix a long nose?

• +1
yeah, my philtrum is 13-14mm. can rhinoplasty fix a long nose?
If the tip is downturned you could get a rhino to fix that, but that won't alter your midface ratio at all. It'll just change the balance between the nose and the philtrum. You can't make the actual nose itself shorter, just like you can't /realistically/ make your IPD wider (not without extremely risky surgery that no sane surgeon is going to perform). The only thing you really can do for your midface ratio is get a lip lift, but then you run into risks of ruining the harmony of your mouth area and perhaps lower third if your philtrum becomes too short for your chin, though O'Pry has a 12 mm philtrum and a monster chin, and his lower third obviously looks great.

• +1
Reactions: PrinceofDarkness, why am I here and her
If the tip is downturned you could get a rhino to fix that, but that won't alter your midface ratio at all. It'll just change the balance between the nose and the philtrum. You can't make the actual nose itself shorter, just like you can't /realistically/ make your IPD wider (not without extremely risky surgery that no sane surgeon is going to perform). The only thing you really can do for your midface ratio is get a lip lift, but then you run into risks of ruining the harmony of your mouth area and perhaps lower third if your philtrum becomes too short for your chin, though O'Pry has a 12 mm philtrum and a monster chin, and his lower third obviously looks great.
fuck

• +1
i probably have one of the best midfaces and philtrum to chin ratios on this forum, doesnt matter, still incek

• +1
i probably have one of the best midfaces and philtrum to chin ratios on this forum, doesnt matter, still incek
It only takes one flaw to break your harmony.

• +1
  • +1
  • +1
oh boy that is now my cope for sure
Have some more cope

Chico is ~65mm
Tyson Ballou is ~64mm
Nessman is ~63mm
Ian Somerhalder, Chris Hemsworth and Zac Efron are all around 60mm

• +1
Have some more cope

Chico is ~65mm
Tyson Ballou is ~64mm
Nessman is ~63mm
ideal is 64mm?

• +1
According to me it depends on the original shape of the face, a face with an equal prominence between the cheekbones and the jaw is always better to be compact, if it is too long, it is clearly a horseface, but in the case where the cheekbones are quite prominent compared to the rest of the face, the face can totally be in the long size.

• +1
Reactions: mesr
ideal is 64mm?
Ideal is 1 midface ratio with a philtrum in the 12-15 mm range. If you've got that you're golden. But a wider IPD and proportionately taller nose is ideal up to an IPD of about 69mm, which is Gandy tier. Looks more dimorphic and means a larger skull.

• +1
Reactions: RecessedPrettyboy and why am I here
Have some more cope

Chico is ~65mm
Tyson Ballou is ~64mm
Nessman is ~63mm
Well that is great cope, that has made my day with me being at like 62.5 so that is all fun

• +1
Well that is great cope, that has made my day with me being at like 62.5 so that is all fun
62.5 is tolerable. You'll never be aesthetic perfection - it is what it is - but it's not something that stops people from being very good looking. Young Leo, Ian Somerhalder, Zac Efron etc are all facially 7s.

• +1
62.5 is tolerable. You'll never be aesthetic perfection - it is what it is - but it's not something that stops people from being very good looking. Young Leo, Ian Somerhalder, Zac Efron etc are all facially 7s.
True that makes sense to be fair, its better than what it was a few months ago at 59mm so its a good improvemnt

You just have to max everything else out too i guess and work on yhe midfaxe ratio

• +1
True that makes sense to be fair, its better than what it was a few months ago at 59mm so its a good improvemnt

You just have to max everything else out too i guess and work on yhe midfaxe ratio
uhmm, what the fuck did you do to increase ipd?

• +1
uhmm, what the fuck did you do to increase ipd?
Either A) normal facial changes during puberty as i seem to be a rather late bloomer

B) mewing has some actual changes which happen

• +1
63 mm ipd, 13'5 mm philtrum, 65 mm from top of lip (center of lip) to pupil

Are those good stats?

Quick mockup from no-lens-distorted pic

Last edited:

Are those good stats?
Yea your midface ratio is pretty good to be honest, so they would be good stats, would be perfect id your ipd was 65

• +1

Are those good stats?

Quick mockup from no-lens-distorted pic
View attachment 72360

you can only know after morphing your photos to get a smaller philtrum. takes about a minute on a website like fotor

your IPD/philtrum ratio is almost the same as mine. i look better with a shorter philtrum.
Have some more cope

Chico is ~65mm
Tyson Ballou is ~64mm
Nessman is ~63mm

are u sure? my ipd is 65-68mm in clinical photos. its not enough.

Last edited:
  • +1
are u sure? my ipd is 65-68mm in clinical photos. its not enough.
Correct to within a mm

Barrett is 67 mm, Gandy and O'Pry around 68 mm

you can only know after morphing your photos to get a smaller philtrum. takes about a minute on a website like fotor

your IPD/philtrum ratio is almost the same as mine. i look better with a shorter philtrum.

I have a 64 mm IPD with a 14 mm philtrum and a midface ratio of about 1.01. When I make my philtrum shorter I look worse. I lack dimorphism and a shorter philtrum just makes me look neotenous.

• +1