How braces with rubber bands ruined my lower third

Bewusst

Bewusst

dead inside
Clickbait title but I need to have a serious talk with you guys about braces and rubber bands (orthodontic camouflage).

D448AEA2 C3A1 49FC B90B 5EC630D1ABE6

I had an overbite as a child, so I received the typical brackets and rubber bands treatment as in the picture above, followed by fixed retainers which are still partly there (the upper left half broke off).
As expected, this fixed my malocclusion and overjet but at the cost of the appearance of my lower third.
More specifically, my newly formed occlusion prevents my lower jaw from coming forward enough to load my masseter muscles correctly - Let me explain, I want you to get this completely:

> When I clench normally, my masseters bulge primarily at the top, near my cheekbones, instead of at the jaw angles (gonions).
This makes my jaw look more round when I clench, because the mandible isn’t in the proper position to correctly and evenly engage the masseter muscles. Which has led to poor masseter development at the jaw angles and made my face look more round.
My masseters have developed more at the top than at the jaw angles, like they should have.
[This has nothing to do with masseter insertions]

Picture: where my masseters bulge when clenching (red) vs where they should bulge (blue)
6C8BE311 A1C1 4C72 ABD7 5E1B7232D18D

To confirm my point, when I jut my lower jaw out a few mm so that my top and bottom incisors are right on top of each other (edge-to-edge bite*) when I clench, my masseters contract differently. Now they bulge more near the gonions, like they should. Clenching this way does not make my lower third look more round.
You can try this clenching test for yourself, to see whether your jaw position and occlusion make your masseters contract correctly.
Also, if only one side bulges, this is another sign of jaw/bite misalignment.

*edge-to-edge bite:
7048EFE8 77EE 4585 8EB7 0ABFB2561DFC

My mandible naturally wants to jut forward slightly (only around 3-5 mm) to allow for a more even force distribution on my chewing muscles. The problem is that alveolar camouflage with rubber bands has fixed my bite in a receded jaw position.
My lip relationship is another proof for this: My upper lip is much more forward and appears bigger than my lower lip because my mandible is set back too far.
I also have had TMJ issues (clicking, tightness) in my left jaw joint for a long time. The latter is a muscular imbalance problem with the same cause.

Tl;dr:
Conventional orthodontic treatment fixed my mandible in a slightly receded position, which impairs masseter function and made my lower third look worse.

@Peachy @SayNoToRotting

• +1
Reactions: PURE ARYAN GENETICS, Deleted member 12216, Deleted member 6403 and 8 others
It is literally 5 AM bro

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 7560
I got the same treatment, how can I fix this? Chin wing or anything?

Have you done the clenching test?
When I flex my masseters it bulges a little more upwards than it probably should. However I don't know how I am supposed to flex them when I move my lower jaw forward.

isn't everything supposed to slowly go back to normal once you have nothing brace-related left in your mouth and you don't force yourself to wear a retainer every night?

it's the exact reason why these invasive interventions suck

isn't everything supposed to slowly go back to normal once you have nothing brace-related left in your mouth and you don't force yourself to wear a retainer every night?

it's the exact reason why these invasive interventions suck
Minor shifting of teeth is expected but it’s impossible to predict to what extent.
Compliance isn’t an issue with fixed retainers. But all of this isn’t the point of my thread.

Yea well the muscles flex a bit lower then
Imagine this being your normal mandible position but with normal occlusion, no edge-to-edge.

What a scam braces are

• Woah
Reactions: RAITEIII
The problem isn’t braces per se but not educating patients properly about the downsides of orthodontic treatments
"So we are going to put metal wires in your mouth that will 1) not help you 2) not make you better looking 3) make you ugly instead 4) make you feel like shit"

• +1
Reactions: PURE ARYAN GENETICS, RAITEIII and Incoming
"So we are going to put metal wires in your mouth that will 1) not help you 2) not make you better looking 3) make you ugly instead 4) make you feel like shit"
The retainers don’t change anything. The “damage” has already been done before.

• Hmm...
Reactions: RAITEIII
My upper lip is much more forward and appears bigger than my lower lip because my mandible is set back too far.
I have this naturally, I know you're getting lip reduction but that won't worth for me, any clue how I can fix this another way?
also sorry this happened to you, It's a shame to have your genetics mis-represented like this.

• +1
Reactions: Bewusst
Braces are Evil

I have this naturally, I know you're getting lip reduction but that won't worth for me, any clue how I can fix this another way?
also sorry this happened to you, It's a shame to have your genetics mis-represented like this.
Besides jutting, there’s nothing I know of that you can do. Lip reduction isn’t that big of a deal tho

• +1
Reactions: Good_Little_Goy
I had masseters that bulged high. Did botox injections and it got much much better. Still roundish jaw sides but now zygos are visible. Perform heavy dose of botox injections, and tell the doctor to focus on top part, the muscle head

I had masseters that bulged high. Did botox injections and it got much much better. Still roundish jaw sides but now zygos are visible. Perform heavy dose of botox injections, and tell the doctor to focus on top part, the muscle head
Your ramus is short tho, isn’t it? Mine is quite long which makes it look much more unbalanced.

I don’t want to get my masseters reduced, they’re not big anyway.
The best thing would be to get orthodontic camouflage treatment to bring my mandible forward slightly so that I can engage my masseters correctly. It would also enhance my profile and possibly get rid of the TMJ issue.
Finding an orthodontist who’d agree on doing this and being able to afford it is another story...

The retainers don’t change anything. The “damage” has already been done before.
JFL what response is this.

They bring you upper jaw back (recession) and you no longer can jut your lower jaw as much because of this, which is another form of recession.

My face got a very very profound damage because of those rubber bands, I will never forget it.

Nvm they don't want to "educate" patients because if they truly disclose all the downsides and that there's literally no benefit in most cases then none would have it done. They'll never do this.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 12216, Incoming and Bewusst
JFL what response is this.

They bring you upper jaw back (recession) and you no longer can jut your lower jaw as much because of this, which is another form of recession.

My face got a very very profound damage because of those rubber bands, I will never forget it.

Nvm they don't want to "educate" patients because if they truly disclose all the downsides and that there's literally no benefit in most cases then none would have it done. They'll never do this.
I misread his post. When he said “wires”, I thought he was referring to the fixed retainers you get after removal of braces to keep your teeth from shifting.

Edit: braces/rubber bands don’t “bring your upper jaw back”, they’re not capable of this. They stimulate alveolar bone remodeling and set the teeth back inside of it.

Last edited:
I tried to revert this process back by wearing elastic class 3 but it was useless. I could bring my upper jaw to it's former position.

Nvm leaving this thread, i need no triggers in my life anymore

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 12216
Besides jutting, there’s nothing I know of that you can do. Lip reduction isn’t that big of a deal tho
My lips are already laughably small though.
If my philtrum wasn't concave like psl says it should be then I would have this problem

Dn rd but your masseters probably aren’t bulging that high, it’s probably just the ligamemt that’s connected from the masseter to the zygo that’s bulging. Your masseter probably isn’t developed enough to bulge. So it looks like to you it’s high up but in reality it isn’t

I can relate a lot to this as i also wore those bands and went from being a very popular good looking child to a hideous recessed chubby cheeked loner. After taking off the braces and stopping all treatment my face began to look better again. I look fairly good now although i think the bands still did some damage in terms of overall harmony as I have a kinda big gonial angle with a deep mentolabial fold and the same lip problem as you have.

Yet my masseters bulge in the correct position both when biting down incisors and normal bite. Btw my masseters are tiny for some reason one can barely tell that I am jutting.

The elastics are what fucked up your face right,not the braces right?

I just got braces like one month ago to fix teeth gaps, so it's nothing bite related and i suppose not a "retractive treatment" , so should i be worried about facial changes?Should i ask my ortho?

being a thief is a more ethical profession than being an orthodontist

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 2729