How do I combine tretinoin with minoxidil, without butchering my skin?

Gargantuan

Gargantuan

Mod
Staff
Title.
So basically I've been on tretinoin for a while now (beginning of December), applying it solely on the lower part of my face.
I took a break from my tretinoin routine for like 2 weeks, at the beginning of January (During the time of my hair transplant recovery), but I've been using it again for the last 3 weeks.

I've also started to use minoxidil on my cheeks (for better stubble there) but my skin has reacted poorly to it.

Apply tretinoin Monday night > apply minoxidil on Tuesday, during the way > wake up with irritated red spots on my skin on Wednesday.

Obviously, minoxidil itself isn't the problem here, as I've been applying it on my eyebrows since August of last year, and the skin around my eyebrows is perfectly fine.

Is there a new to mitigate irritated/red skin whenever I'm using these products simultaneously? Do these products even go hand in hand, or will my skin adapt/get used to it over time?

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Deleted member 13511, RAITEIII, Deleted member 5522 and 1 other person
Minoxidil on face just isn't worth it imo

>minoxidol all over my scalp
Face is fine, no dryness

>Tiny bit of minoxidil on my eyebrows
All hell breaks loose dry as fuck skin start forming winkles quickly

Dont even want to think about if I tried applying to my cheeks

• +1
Reactions: SubhumanCurrycel, goat2x, Baldingman1998 and 2 others
You can buy minox without alcohol which is the cause of dry and red skin on minox

• +1
Reactions: Emerson, Deleted member 9090, Deleted member 5969 and 4 others

Face is fine, no dryness

Interesting. I guess not everyone is a good responder at the end of the day.

I use minox for my brows on a daily basis and never had any skin-related issues there.

Maybe post-tret skin simply isn't suitable for minox and prone to irritation and all that.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5522 and Deleted member 4887
Foam minoxidil
Slower results but less irritation

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5522 and Gargantuan
You can buy minox without alcohol which is the cause of dry and red skin on minox
Could be the case, although my skin doesn't respond poorly to minox in areas where I don't apply tret.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5522
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5522 and Gargantuan
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 4887 and Gargantuan
Is spray minoxidil any good?
I'm using a spray version, although the spray pump stopped working recently.
I replaced it with a pipette. I guess both do an adequate job.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 4887
Are you using a dermaroller with it ?
In 2 month on minox with dermaroller, my gain was insane

• +1
Reactions: Yerico7, mewcoper, Deleted member 5634 and 2 others
I am a pretty sure the pipette and spray minox are the same thing, just different ways of applying it

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 4887 and Gargantuan
Are you using a dermaroller with it ?
In 2 month on minox with dermaroller, my gain was insane
No, haven't used a dermaroller yet.
Which one would you recommend, and often do you use it?

• +1
No, haven't used a dermaroller yet.
Which one would you recommend, and often do you use it?
I use it once every 10 days.
I use a 1mm dermaroller, they're all the same just verify it's actual needle and not blade jfl.
Once I dermaroll I wait 24h and apply the minox.

The minox I use is alcohol free so that doesn't hurt at all but if your minox has alcohol in it, be careful because it can hurt a bit

• +1
Reactions: felipeg, Deleted member 4887 and Gargantuan
I use it once every 10 days.
I use a 1mm dermaroller, they're all the same just verify it's actual needle and not blade jfl.
Once I dermaroll I wait 24h and apply the minox.

The minox I use is alcohol free so that doesn't hurt at all but if your minox has alcohol in it, be careful because it can hurt a bit
Thanks for the breakdown. Will look into it, for sure.

• +1
I'm doing both almost religiously since the beginning of December. Foam is mandatory, liquid with tret is hellfire for your skin
My routine :

Every evening:
Tret (.025 at first, now .05)
Wait between 30min-1hour
Heavy moisturiser (I use lipikar baume ap+m)

Every morning:
Minoxidil foam 5%
Wait 2hours
Vitamin C serum
Wait 1hour
Light moisturiser
Wait 15min at least
Sunscreen

Vitamin C isn't really needed if you want a lighter stack… since I'm on lockdown idc about how much time my routine takes.
If time is a constraint it's ok to wait only 1hour after minoxidil

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Turin, Dionysus, EverythingMaxxer and 3 others
I'm doing both almost religiously since the beginning of December. Foam is mandatory, liquid with tret is hellfire for your skin
My routine :

Every evening:
Wait between 30min-1hour

Every morning:
Minoxidil foam 5%
Wait 2hours
Vitamin C serum
Wait 1hour
Light moisturiser
Wait 15min at least
Sunscreen

Vitamin C isn't really needed if you want a lighter stack… since I'm on lockdown idc about how much time my routine takes.
Sounds perfect. How have the results been thus far?

Face is fine, no dryness

Depends from person to person. I've been using 5% liquid for 2 months now and see no sides so far.

• +1
Reactions: Gargantuan
Maybe lower the tret concentration. I use both and no problems, even with no moisturizer.

• +1
Reactions: Yerico7 and Gargantuan
Sounds perfect. How have the results been thus far?
Pretty much excellent. I took accutane as a teen for severe acne, and still had some light zits if I ate badly or just randomly. Almost never happens now, pores much less visible, skin is smoother, acne scars are fading a bit. My genetics allow me to grow a beard but with minox I have vellus hair everywhere — gonna be insanely dense once those turn terminal, eyebrows a bit thicker.

I take beta carotene and zeaxanthin too since a month. My colouring is starting to get insane, lovely golden with red undertones.
The only thing bothering me is that my better colouring exacerbates a bit the fact that my skin is thin asf around eyes (genetics) so it appears a bit paler in comparison but it’s very minor. Nothing to do with the products but that’s that.

• +1
Pretty much excellent. I took accutane as a teen for severe acne, and still had some light zits if I ate badly or just randomly. Almost never happens now, pores much less visible, skin is smoother, acne scars are fading a bit. My genetics allow me to grow a beard but with minox I have vellus hair everywhere — gonna be insanely dense once those turn terminal, eyebrows a bit thicker.

I take beta carotene and zeaxanthin too since a month. My colouring is starting to get insane, lovely golden with red undertones.
The only thing bothering me is that my better colouring exacerbates a bit the fact that my skin is thin asf around eyes (genetics) so it appears a bit paler in comparison but it’s very minor. Nothing to do with the products but that’s that.
Good stuff. I've also been on beta carotene for quite some time now, and it has helped me a lot.

My routine :

Every evening:
Wait between 30min-1hour

Every morning:
Minoxidil foam 5%
Wait 2hours
Vitamin C serum
Wait 1hour
Light moisturiser
Wait 15min at least
Sunscreen

isn't that bad usimg vit c and tret at the same time

• +1
Reactions: Matheus
If you apply tret in the evening and vit c serum in the morning, I think it's fine.

• +1
Reactions: Matheus and mewcoper
I use both with no issues

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: mewcoper and Gargantuan
As @Gargantuan said it’s fine if not applied at the same time. The problem is that vitamin c is way more acidic than tret so they neuter each other somewhat if you put them at the same time

• +1
Reactions: Gargantuan and mewcoper
Doesn't Minoxidil on eyebrows kill collagen though?

• +1
Title.
So basically I've been on tretinoin for a while now (beginning of December), applying it solely on the lower part of my face.
I took a break from my tretinoin routine for like 2 weeks, at the beginning of January (During the time of my hair transplant recovery), but I've been using it again for the last 3 weeks.

I've also started to use minoxidil on my cheeks (for better stubble there) but my skin has reacted poorly to it.

Apply tretinoin Monday night > apply minoxidil on Tuesday, during the way > wake up with irritated red spots on my skin on Wednesday.

Obviously, minoxidil itself isn't the problem here, as I've been applying it on my eyebrows since August of last year, and the skin around my eyebrows is perfectly fine.

Is there a new to mitigate irritated/red skin whenever I'm using these products simultaneously? Do these products even go hand in hand, or will my skin adapt/get used to it over time?
minox on eyebrows.
did they shed and did u see improvements?

• +1
I put tretinoin powder in my minoxidil.

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: mewcoper and Gargantuan
idk about minoxidil on face but I use a tret/minox mix in one bottle compounded by my doc.
Whenever the solution gets onto my forehead or drips along my face the skin starts to dry and flake.
IDK if its worth it if your skin is getting fucked

• +1