How do i mew?

ZUZZCEL

ZUZZCEL

Banned
never really looked to much into it

i just put my toungue on the top of my teeth right?

Entire tongue up against the roof of your mouth. Best way I learned was swallowing and holding at the top of the swallow. Should feel pressure against the roof of the mouth.

• +1
Reactions: mojopin and future chadlite
Entire tongue up against the roof of your mouth. Best way I learned was swallowing and holding at the top of the swallow. Should feel pressure against the roof of the mouth.
More like half of your tongue on the roof of your mouth. If you pressed your entire tongue against the roof you wouldn't be able to breathe as it would block your airway (ever heard of people suffocating on their own tongue?)

You should keep the tip of your tongue just behind your front teeth and then the rest on the ridges and hard palate, anything after that should be making contact with your molars etc.
There are some guides on the internet that explain it much better but I cannot be bothered looking for them.

• +1
Reactions: Nibba
put most of your tongue on the roof of your mouth

A sticky thread would be nice to avoid those thread repeating themselves, if only someone write a clear and concise guide, maybe someone has already done it?

• +1
Reactions: GAY and mojopin
More like half of your tongue on the roof of your mouth. If you pressed your entire tongue against the roof you wouldn't be able to breathe as it would block your airway (ever heard of people suffocating on their own tongue?)

You should keep the tip of your tongue just behind your front teeth and then the rest on the ridges and hard palate, anything after that should be making contact with your molars etc.
There are some guides on the internet that explain it much better but I cannot be bothered looking for them.
No man, you want the full tongue on the roof of the mouth if you want good results. Ideal humans can do this and breath fine as the airway opens and the jaw expands.
A sticky thread would be nice to avoid those thread repeating themselves, if only someone write a clear and concise guide, maybe someone has already done it?
There’s a full guide on the-great-works but i might make a clearer version for everyone on here.

• +1
Reactions: LooksJourney and tallcel
No man, you want the full tongue on the roof of the mouth if you want good results. Ideal humans can do this and breath fine as the airway opens and the jaw expands.

There’s a full guide on the-great-works but i might make a clearer version for everyone on here.
Even on the great works it doesn't say that all of your tongue should make contact with the roof of the mouth, your tongue shouldn't make full contact with the soft Palate as it would block your airway (Try swallowing something and then hold the position your tongue makes when you swallow something, you'll find that you're unable to breathe)

I think I might make a guide + proof soon to clear up the confusion.

This is our natural tongue posture (how to "mew"):

ocarina_blowing_bad_rear_tongue_up_1.png

Whole tongue plastered on your palate, lips sealed, teeth making contact and breathe from your nose only.

And you have to actually be pushing, not just touching. Slightly pushing or touching the palate will only give you a results if you're going through puberty and even then it would still take over a year. Hence why I hardmew during the whole day, it's become subconscious since I started a year ago. Good luck.

• +1
Reactions: mojopin
I think I might make a guide + proof soon to clear up the confusion.

This is our natural tongue posture (how to "mew"):

ocarina_blowing_bad_rear_tongue_up_1.png

Whole tongue plastered on your palate, lips sealed, teeth making contact and breathe from your nose only.

And you have to actually be pushing, not just touching. Slightly pushing or touching the palate will only give you a results if you're going through puberty and even then it would still take over a year. Hence why I hardmew during the whole day, it's become subconscious since I started a year ago. Good luck.

Is this way correct too? I put the tip of the tongue at that position I painted
@Dude420 confirm too please

Last edited:
Yes, it is, well contact with the palate close to the teeth without touching them and having contact with the largest superficies possible which mean more than just the tip of the tongue.
The more of the tongue you get on the roof of the mouth, the more upward force. Mike Mew even said most people will cut off the airway with correct tongue posture but that this expands over time. I had the same problem but nowadays it’s not so bad so I’m hoping it will fully open eventually. If you’re with friends I don’t expect you to sit like a spastic holding your breath all the time but when you can it definitely helps.

Even on the great works it doesn't say that all of your tongue should make contact with the roof of the mouth, your tongue shouldn't make full contact with the soft Palate as it would block your airway (Try swallowing something and then hold the position your tongue makes when you swallow something, you'll find that you're unable to breathe)
No because you should be breathing through your nose only

Anyone without adequate tongue space will find that the posterior third, when correctly seated on the roof of the mouth, will press the soft palate into the pharynx, restricting breathing through the nose. This can even be a sign that you have achieved correct oral posture. This will be the case if your maxilla is underdeveloped. The entire tongue must be up against your palate otherwise you won’t see the best results.

Anyone without adequate tongue space will find that the posterior third, when correctly seated on the roof of the mouth, will press the soft palate into the pharynx, restricting breathing through the nose. This can even be a sign that you have achieved correct oral posture. This will be the case if your maxilla is underdeveloped. The entire tongue must be up against your palate otherwise you won’t see the best results.
My maxilla isn't underdeveloped though.

No, the whole tongue should be up there. I don't have very good forward projection in my maxilla and yet I can still get the whole tongue up, from front to back. The back of the tongue doesn't block my airway and I've never understood when people say it does. Are they trying to breathe through their mouth or something? When the back of my tongue is on the roof, it's on the soft palate right at the back, just at the point where my gag reflex is starting to kick in. So I experience a brief gag sensation, and then it's all good. No problems with breathing through my nose. Dr Mew has stated that it's very important to get the rear of your tongue up there, and it makes sense because you're not going to expand your palate unless you do, and it's also a very useful area to push if you want to move your maxilla forward and upward. When I put the back of my tongue on the palate, I can almost "hook" it around the back of the maxilla and push it forward like that. It's a very weird sensation.

No, the whole tongue should be up there. I don't have very good forward projection in my maxilla and yet I can still get the whole tongue up, from front to back. The back of the tongue doesn't block my airway and I've never understood when people say it does. Are they trying to breathe through their mouth or something? When the back of my tongue is on the roof, it's on the soft palate right at the back, just at the point where my gag reflex is starting to kick in. So I experience a brief gag sensation, and then it's all good. No problems with breathing through my nose. Dr Mew has stated that it's very important to get the rear of your tongue up there, and it makes sense because you're not going to expand your palate unless you do, and it's also a very useful area to push if you want to move your maxilla forward and upward. When I put the back of my tongue on the palate, I can almost "hook" it around the back of the maxilla and push it forward like that. It's a very weird sensation.
do braces stop palate expansion? cause i'm gonna take them off soon, had them since 16, now im 20

I think most of the guides to Mewing are a little inadequate in that they fail to address some of the issues people with differently shaped palates face in getting their whole tongue up there.

For example, my palate arches up quite a lot, almost creating a sort of "cathedral ceiling" or dome shape, before it goes back down and flattens out into the soft palate. For this reason, if I want to press my entire tongue against it it has to be curved quite oddly. However, the tongue is very flexible and you can train yourself to have a large degree of control of it, and I've managed to get it to sit up there quite nicely.

The key to getting your whole tongue up on the roof is through suction. Try making a big cheesy grin, biggest you can, and then swallowing. This stops you from using your cheeks to swallow (incorrect), and forces your tongue to do it instead (correct). You will find that your tongue rolls along the palate from front to back, and stays up there with a suction force. Once you've gotten a good idea of how this feels, try to do it without the cheesy grin. You might have to experiment depending on your palate shape. In my case, I have to suction up the back of my tongue to the soft palate and then push the tip of my tongue forward until it settles itself along the curve of my hard palate.

This is all tremendously hard at first, because 1) we don't yet have dexterity in our tongues and 2) it's hard to visualize what's going on in the mouth. With practice, you gain much more control over your tongue and you develop a sort of "road map" of your palate through exploration.

What I also find confusing is that most guides tell you to rest your tongue just above the front teeth, where the teeth meet the gumline. Because of my high arched palate, I cannot do this AND lay the rest of my tongue flat. So I compromise and move the tip of the tongue a little higher so I don't have to curve it so much. I think most people will have to compromise a little from the "official method" depending on their palate shape, size of tongue, intermolar width etc.
do braces stop palate expansion? cause i'm gonna take them off soon, had them since 16, now im 20

tbh I have no idea, never had braces.

When you swallow something, your tongue blocks your airway and if you hold your tongue in that position you'll find yourself unable to breathe.

Mewing won't change your maxilla. Get a lefort

Braces fuck up your maxilla and give you a convex face.
im taking this trash off and gonna hardmew, im 20 but everytime i mew i feel the braces holding my teeth, it';s a weird feeling to explain but
Braces fuck up your maxilla and give you a convex face.
that's exactly my face, a convex one

When you swallow something, your tongue blocks your airway and if you hold your tongue in that position you'll find yourself unable to breathe.

That shouldn't happen under normal circumstances, and I think if your tongue is blocking your airway during swallowing like this then you might be a candidate for bimaxillary rotation? Do you suffer from snoring or sleep apnea? Try as I might, I cannot get my tongue to block my airway during a swallow and it's up there from front to back, all the way to the soft palate where my gag reflex starts.

That shouldn't happen under normal circumstances, and I think if your tongue is blocking your airway during swallowing like this then you might be a candidate for bimaxillary rotation? Do you suffer from snoring or sleep apnea? Try as I might, I cannot get my tongue to block my airway during a swallow and it's up there from front to back, all the way to the soft palate where my gag reflex starts.

It is completely normal though.

• JFL
Reactions: Hey dont talk to me
Well yeah that's as you're swallowing and engaging the muscle at the back of your throat as well. The blockage is temporary as you swallow - it doesn't necessarily mean your airway is perpetually blocked when you have your whole tongue up there.

Whole tongue on palate + swallow = temporary blockage
Whole tongue on palate + not swallowing = no blockage.

At least that's how it seems to be under normal circumstances. As far as I can tell from listening to Mew and from other discussions, if full tongue contact means you can't breathe through your nose then it suggests some underlying problem.