I communicate like an autistic

CupOfCoffee

CupOfCoffee

IdentityCrisisCel
Today I went to a meet and greet event at my college to talk to other students, faculty, some employers etc. I can't communicate to others at all. I can't even introduce myself right, it's always awkward and I include unnecessary details every time like I can't control what comes out my mouth, resulting in stares from others and nervous smiles. I'm getting nowhere guys, no social circle and I don't relate to other's lives at all. On some level, I feel like I don't want friends either because of the vulnerabiloty that's required. I just don't understand social dynamics and it doesn't seem worth the effort to try making friends with anyone. Should I give up on that part of life? Inb4 "rope bro".

• +1
Reactions: Swagwaffle, jefferson and Zesto
i am an autistic

Happy6

I learned how to socialize through practice with my anime and manga friends.

• +1
Reactions: bain and Deleted member 561
Guess I've done OK sex wise and I'm a fucking awkward weirdo socially. I often start holding multiple people's attention with a story or remark and then halfway through realize I'm not going anywhere with it and am effectively talking out of my ass. When I'm nervous I dominate the conversation and talk over everyone and totally forget to show interest in anything they say. I often give weirdly inappropropriate replies to people's small talk, like when someone says "see you later" I'll reply "you too." At parties or casual gatherings I will flit awkwardly from group to group, usually end up standing in the worst possible spot (like blocking everyone's way) and will remain rooted to the spot until I realize that I have absolutely nothing of interest to add and don't know any of the people they're talking about, at which point I'll walk away and then instantly remember that walking away while someone is talking is totally rude. Then I'll spend the rest of the night paranoid that everyone's talking about "that weird guy who seems out of place."

Funny thing is, when you get talking to people candidly and honestly, you realize how many other people go through this exact same shit. EVen when they look like they're confident.

I often start holding multiple people's attention with a story or remark and then halfway through realize I'm not going anywhere with it and am effectively talking out of my ass. When I'm nervous I dominate the conversation and talk over everyone and totally forget to show interest in anything they say. I often give weirdly inappropropriate replies to people's small talk, like when someone says "see you later" I'll reply "you too." At parties or casual gatherings
This. I don't show interest either, even if I'm interested, many times I ignore things people say because I don't have anything good to say, or I missed a part they said, and I end up killing conversations. From now on I'm going to listen really hard when people talk. Seems like the only way to fix this.
Funny thing is, when you get talking to people candidly and honestly, you realize how many other people go through this exact same shit. EVen when they look like they're confident.
Of course they do, some are better fakers though and can push through it. I get VERY tired trying to act confident when I'm not.

I communicate like an autist because I am an autist. :feelsrope:

This. I don't show interest either, even if I'm interested, many times I ignore things people say because I don't have anything good to say, or I missed a part they said, and I end up killing conversations. From now on I'm going to listen really hard when people talk. Seems like the only way to fix this.
nothing wrong with just asking
tbh 90 percent of times a boring story is being told maybe some 70 percent of ppl in the group is actually trying to listen/trying to comprehend the story, rest is gone.
asking a question a) implies youre actually listening and trying to understand to the convo and b) adds social presence and c) tells people youre a guy that you can engage with, not just filler, you can seek out a convesration with this guy bcs he talks back
asking questions is the easiest way to do this tbh, especially in a new enivornment where people dont expect that much of you

• +1
Reactions: CupOfCoffee
Hands down the most crushing thing socially is when you start telling a story to a group of people and right in the middle, someone starts talking over you about something totally different and now everyone's attention is on them instead of you. They're effectively telling you that you're worthless and invisible. So fucking rude, but if you call them out on it or act pissed, then you're an unstable weirdo with emotional problems. But God forbid you should ever talk over THEM, everyone would shoot you down instantly for being rude.

• +1
Reactions: CupOfCoffee
Hands down the most crushing thing socially is when you start telling a story to a group of people and right in the middle, someone starts talking over you about something totally different and now everyone's attention is on them instead of you. They're effectively telling you that you're worthless and invisible. So fucking rude, but if you call them out on it or act pissed, then you're an unstable weirdo with emotional problems. But God forbid you should ever talk over THEM, everyone would shoot you down instantly for being rude.
My sister once cut me off like that and I got real angry at her and ignored her for weeks. In situations like that I'm not sure what the right thing to do is, express anger or "let it go". Showing that you're mad likely makes you look weak, but I feel more weak if I let it go.

My sister once cut me off like that and I got real angry at her and ignored her for weeks. In situations like that I'm not sure what the right thing to do is, express anger or "let it go". Showing that you're mad likely makes you look weak, but I feel more weak if I let it go.

Yep you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Letting it go transmits cuck beta-male vibes to everyone. Saying something transmits unstable loon vibes.

Yea a lot of times I actually try to just observe and listen without talking just for this exact reason.

Yea a lot of times I actually try to just observe and listen without talking just for this exact reason.

Women love it when you listen intently to their inane shit about who's dating who at work. They love it even more when you throw in the occasional relevant question to make it seem like you're paying attention: "Is this Ryan who was dating Emily or the other Ryan who fell asleep at the meeting last week?" - instant halo around you.

• +1
Reactions: Time Travel
Women love it when you listen intently to their inane shit about who's dating who at work. They love it even more when you throw in the occasional relevant question to make it seem like you're paying attention: "Is this Ryan who was dating Emily or the other Ryan who fell asleep at the meeting last week?" - instant halo around you.
I legit do that. Just with guys, I never get to talk to women.

• +1
Reactions: TaCopineEstMoche