Important Retin-A Question (acne scars)

JeremyMeeks

JeremyMeeks

Bronze
Using retinol 1% now, going to order 0.05% Retin-A in the next 2 days.

I know Retin-A significantly reduces hyper-pigmentation, but does it also reduce acne scarring - has anyone experienced a major reduction in scars with it?

i have been using the shitty dermapens from China which I found out cause micro-tearing so I will be ordering a dermastamp from owndoc in the next 2 days and will be using it till I can save up for the derminator.

So my current plan is start retin-A and dermastamping every 3-4 weeks with 2mm - will this be enough to significantly reduce my scarring as this is only thing stopping my skin from being near God-tier. If there are other relatively cheap at home treatments for scarring that are really effective, please let me know - preferably from someone who has experienced scarrring as I want to know what has really worked for you.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1464
I dont know but it refreshes your skin so i guess it does reduce scars

haven't noticed, been using it for 3 months

Haven't noticed anything for your scars or skin improvements?
Scars are still there, but my skin looks 10 times betetr overall. Gonna get them removed with lasers soon.

• +1
Reactions: HighIQcel
Scars are still there, but my skin looks 10 times betetr overall. Gonna get them removed with lasers soon.

Nice. Excited to see what it can do to my skin. Did you use 0.05% and how old are you - I'm 18
I wouldn't call it significant from my experience.

What worked for your hyperpigmentation then or is it still there?

Nice. Excited to see what it can do to my skin. Did you use 0.05% and how old are you - I'm 18

What worked for your hyperpigmentation then or is it still there?
Nothing works for hyperpigmentation, and I'm talking specifically about PIE scars. Retin A got rid of my freckles almost completely, but my PIE scars are still there. They do Dade away naturally but it takes a long time, in my case years to have them fade away. All retin a does is make that process faster.

Funny note, retin a is what caused those scars in the first place because I "purged".

• +1
Reactions: Mateusz74
Have you tried chemical peels?

Have you tried chemical peels?

I used glycolic acid for a bit every night (can't use in morning) but now replaced with retin-a as you can't have 2 active ingredients at once and retin-a is better. If there is anything clinically proven to be very effective for scars please let me know.
Nothing works for hyperpigmentation, and I'm talking specifically about PIE scars. Retin A got rid of my freckles almost completely, but my PIE scars are still there. They do Dade away naturally but it takes a long time, in my case years to have them fade away. All retin a does is make that process faster.

Funny note, retin a is what caused those scars in the first place because I "purged".

What benefits have you seen with retin-a then and is it very noticeable (even by others)?

I used glycolic acid for a bit every night (can't use in morning) but now replaced with retin-a as you can't have 2 active ingredients at once and retin-a is better. If there is anything clinically proven to be very effective for scars please let me know.
Where did you hear that you can't use two actives together? Because that is utter bullshit. And glycolic can be used on the morning.

Where did you hear that you can't use two actives together? Because that is utter bullshit. And glycolic can be used on the morning.

Dr. Dray on youtube - she's the only proper person I trust for skin advice. Anyway, which other active would you recommend for scarring.

• +1
Reactions: Stingray
Dr. Dray on youtube - she's the only proper person I trust for skin advice. Anyway, which other active would you recommend for scarring.
You absolutely can use two actives together, if you couldn't I'd be out of the job- it mostly depends on how much your skin can take.
It depends on what type of scarring it is. PIE, PIH or atrophic scarring?

Using retinol 1% now, going to order 0.05% Retin-A in the next 2 days.

I know Retin-A significantly reduces hyper-pigmentation, but does it also reduce acne scarring - has anyone experienced a major reduction in scars with it?

i have been using the shitty dermapens from China which I found out cause micro-tearing so I will be ordering a dermastamp from owndoc in the next 2 days and will be using it till I can save up for the derminator.

So my current plan is start retin-A and dermastamping every 3-4 weeks with 2mm - will this be enough to significantly reduce my scarring as this is only thing stopping my skin from being near God-tier. If there are other relatively cheap at home treatments for scarring that are really effective, please let me know - preferably from someone who has experienced scarrring as I want to know what has really worked for you.
Fixed my acne tho

You absolutely can use two actives together, if you couldn't I'd be out of the job- it mostly depends on how much your skin can take.
It depends on what type of scarring it is. PIE, PIH or atrophic scarring?

I have atrophic scarring in the temple region and some hyperpigmentation (I don't know PIE/ PIH difference even from a quick google search) around my upper cheeks near the temples as well.

I have atrophic scarring in the temple region and some hyperpigmentation (I don't know PIE/ PIH difference even from a quick google search) around my upper cheeks near the temples as well.
You're not going to get a hell of a lot of difference in atrophic scarring from topicals. Retinoids will help some but thats about it.
When it comes to the PIE/PIH, PIE is usually pink/red in colour and seen (mostly) on lighter skin and PIH is more brown and often seen on darker skin. If you're still confused, the easiest way to test is by putting pressure on it- if it blanches its likely PIE.

You're not going to get a hell of a lot of difference in atrophic scarring from topicals. Retinoids will help some but thats about it.
When it comes to the PIE/PIH, PIE is usually pink/red in colour and seen (mostly) on lighter skin and PIH is more brown and often seen on darker skin. If you're still confused, the easiest way to test is by putting pressure on it- if it blanches its likely PIE.

Ok, I have PIH scarring.

My plan was going to be retin-a and dermastamping every 3 weeks with 2mm for the atrophic scars.
Will this also help with the PIH scars or would you recommend something in paticular.

Ok, I have PIH scarring.

My plan was going to be retin-a and dermastamping every 3 weeks with 2mm for the atrophic scars.
Will this also help with the PIH scars or would you recommend something in paticular.
2mm microneedling at home is very deep. You can absolutely do some legit damage at that depth so I wouldn't recommend you doing that quite honestly.
Tretinoin will help with PIH, yes. If you have access to a dermatologist, you might be able to get a tretinoin/hydroquinone/corticosteroid combination cream which is going to be the gold standard for hyperpigmentation.
Other options are hydroquinone on its own (possibly prescription only depending on where you're at), glycolic or lactic acid, vitamin C, niacinamide and azelaic acid.

2mm microneedling at home is very deep. You can absolutely do some legit damage at that depth so I wouldn't recommend you doing that quite honestly.
Tretinoin will help with PIH, yes. If you have access to a dermatologist, you might be able to get a tretinoin/hydroquinone/corticosteroid combination cream which is going to be the gold standard for hyperpigmentation.
Other options are hydroquinone on its own (possibly prescription only depending on where you're at), glycolic or lactic acid, vitamin C, niacinamide and azelaic acid.

Wow, thanks.
Um, I have already ordered my 2mm dermastamp from owndoc - I have been using the shitty dermapens at 1.5/2mm on & off for a year and a half so my skin is somewhat adjusted (I know the needle depths are overstated with these devices and they also cause micor-tearing which is why I stopped). Plus with the dermastamp, the needle insertion will be uniform and will definitely not cause micro-tearing as there is no dragging across the skin.

As for the PIH, I am getting a 0.05% retin-a cream which will arrive in 2 weeks (this is for my whole face and neck of course).
You have stated a lot of stuff which I have researched in to quite a bit before this post but was unsure of their individual efficacy; if you were to recommend the best 2/3/4 products - whatever combination you think is very very effective - please let me know.

Wow, thanks.
Um, I have already ordered my 2mm dermastamp from owndoc - I have been using the shitty dermapens at 1.5/2mm on & off for a year and a half so my skin is somewhat adjusted (I know the needle depths are overstated with these devices and they also cause micor-tearing which is why I stopped). Plus with the dermastamp, the needle insertion will be uniform and will definitely not cause micro-tearing as there is no dragging across the skin.

As for the PIH, I am getting a 0.05% retin-a cream which will arrive in 2 weeks (this is for my whole face and neck of course).
You have stated a lot of stuff which I have researched in to quite a bit before this post but was unsure of their individual efficacy; if you were to recommend the best 2/3/4 products - whatever combination you think is very very effective - please let me know.
0.05% tretinoin is really quite strong if this is your first foray into retinoids. Go slowly with it. As a certain someone above can attest, its not a good idea to go too hard too fast with retinoids.
Where are you based (roughly) and what is your budget so I can try to figure out which products are going to be the easiest for you to get?

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: RAITEIII and Stingray
0.05% tretinoin is really quite strong if this is your first foray into retinoids. Go slowly with it. As a certain someone above can attest, its not a good idea to go too hard too fast with retinoids.
Where are you based (roughly) and what is your budget so I can try to figure out which products are going to be the easiest for you to get?

I have been using 1% retinol which I have buffered and worked up to using daily on wet skin straight after cleansing.
I will heavily buffer the 0.05% - just didn't want to buy 0.025% because a lot of users here said it wasn't that effective. Will put the cream on 40 minutes after cleansing and moisturizing so skin is completely dry with the moisturizer as a buffer - will use it every other day and maybe slow down the frequency if my skin is having troubles acclimating.

My budget is around £40 as of now and I live in London.

Pulsed dye laser works pretty good. But then again its like $200-500 per session

• +1
Reactions: Mateusz74
Significant reduction after one session?
I Don’t think it will work for PIH but its the gold standard for PIE. PIE is basically the red/pink mark left after a pimple goes away. After one session u can see a good improvement but depends on how severe ur PIE is.

It doesn't, better off using Differin or Tazorac

In my experience tretinoin has reduced hyperpigmentation and firmed up my skin. I found 0.025% strength to be irritating at first but my skin got used to it and I was using it daily. I jumped up to 0.1% strength but it was still highly irritating after 2 months of use so I only use a very small amount now.

Microneedling with the derminator 2 has been much more effective at reducing my acne scars.

• +1
Reactions: JeremyMeeks
In my experience tretinoin has reduced hyperpigmentation and firmed up my skin. I found 0.025% strength to be irritating at first but my skin got used to it and I was using it daily. I jumped up to 0.1% strength but it was still highly irritating after 2 months of use so I only use a very small amount now.

Microneedling with the derminator 2 has been much more effective at reducing my acne scars.

Nice man. Hoping the tret will help me out as well. Will get the derminator 2 when I can afford but right now it'll be dermastamping for a few months.

• +1
Reactions: Stingray
It doesn't, better off using Differin or Tazorac

Tazorac is just the same as Tretinoin but just harsher isn't it?

Tazorac is just the same as Tretinoin but just harsher isn't it?
It targets different RAR subtypes. It's a "harsher" version of Differin.

• +1
Reactions: LordGodcat
My budget is around £40 as of now and I live in London.
Give me a few hours and I'll see what I can come up with.
It targets different RAR subtypes. It's a "harsher" version of Differin.
Nope. Fuck me dead how many times am I going to have to correct this? Whoever started this idea that tretinoin doesn't bind to all three RAR subtypes has a lot to answer for.

Tretinoin binds to all three RAR subtypes; alpha, beta and gamma. Adapalene and Tazarotene (or more accurately tazarotenic acid) selectively bind to the beta and gamma subtypes. (tazarotene actually binds to all three but is selective so in reality it only realistically has an effect on the beta and gamma).
Tazarotene is also not a harsher version of adapalene. They are both third gen retinoids, yes, and tazarotene is harsher, but to imply that one is just "another version" of the other is incorrect. They are not the same thing.

• Woah
Reactions: RAITEIII
Basically you're going to want a decent strength retinoid if you can (since you're in the UK a prescription retinoid is going to be hard to come by), a strong vitamin C and an AHA like glycolic acid.
Honestly in terms of recommendations, the products in the guide I wrote are pretty solid. I'd add on the DCL C scape as a vitamin C recommendation but its over £100.

• +1
Reactions: JeremyMeeks
Basically you're going to want a decent strength retinoid if you can (since you're in the UK a prescription retinoid is going to be hard to come by), a strong vitamin C and an AHA like glycolic acid.
Honestly in terms of recommendations, the products in the guide I wrote are pretty solid. I'd add on the DCL C scape as a vitamin C recommendation but its over £100.

Hi, so I am going to order tomorrow a 0.05% retin-a from alldaychemist which will be delivered in 2 weeks (currently using the ordinary retinol every night on wet skin till my retin-a arrives). I have been making my own vitamin c serum but I am questioning it's efficacy now since I have not been keeping it in a fridge and it is exposed to light sometimes so I feel like it may be oxidized - was working great at the start. I used to use the ordinary glycolic acid toner every night before my routine but now have replaced it with retinol instead.

I want to get an actual brand made vitamin C and glycolic acid (not toner) with a £30ish budget.
Currently my skin care routine looks like this:

Morning:

- Soft, non-comodogenic, fragrance and alcohol free cleanser
- Vitamin C spray applied on wet skin
- Cerave moisturizing lotion applied on wet skin
- Infadolan (occlusive) ointment after skin has dried for a minute
- 50++ SPF against UVA and UVB rays

Night:

- Retionol on wet skin

When I get the retin-A 0.05%, I will apply every other night at the start, 40 minutes after my night routine when my skin in dry and has moisturiser and infadolan as buffers and then slowly increase frequency and decrease buffering as my skin becomes acclimated.
As for glycolic acid, would you recommend a weekly chemical exfoliation (i.e. the ordinary's peel) - how would you put that in the routine above.

TL;DR - where would you put glycolic acid in the routine above + vitamin C and glycolic acid recommendations?

Hi, so I am going to order tomorrow a 0.05% retin-a from alldaychemist which will be delivered in 2 weeks (currently using the ordinary retinol every night on wet skin till my retin-a arrives). I have been making my own vitamin c serum but I am questioning it's efficacy now since I have not been keeping it in a fridge and it is exposed to light sometimes so I feel like it may be oxidized - was working great at the start. I used to use the ordinary glycolic acid toner every night before my routine but now have replaced it with retinol instead.

I want to get an actual brand made vitamin C and glycolic acid (not toner) with a £30ish budget.
Currently my skin care routine looks like this:

Morning:

- Vitamin C spray applied on wet skin
- 50++ SPF against UVA and UVB rays

Night:

- Retionol on wet skin

When I get the retin-A 0.05%, I will apply every other night at the start, 40 minutes after my night routine when my skin in dry and has moisturiser and infadolan as buffers and then slowly increase frequency and decrease buffering as my skin becomes acclimated.
As for glycolic acid, would you recommend a weekly chemical exfoliation (i.e. the ordinary's peel) - how would you put that in the routine above.

TL;DR - where would you put glycolic acid in the routine above + vitamin C and glycolic acid recommendations?
Why are you using Infadolan as well as other retinoids? There are plenty of other occlusives out there that don't contain a retinoid.
Glycolic on a morning immediately after cleansing before vitamin C.
Not sure what you mean about "not toner"? Unless you want it in a mask or something, you're likely going to be getting an AHA in a toner. If you already have The Ordinary's glycolic toner that would work fine.
The Ordinary also has about a million vitamin C formulas. My personal favourite is the 23% ascorbic acid + 2% HA.

• +1
Reactions: HighIQcel