Incline dumbbell bench vs flat dumbbell bench

Wallenberg

Wallenberg

Kraken
Is incline DB bench better for building a good-looking chest?

• +1
Reactions: TheRealist and Mouthbreath
Is incline DB bench better for building a good-looking chest?
fuck all that shit

just get good shoulders and leave it, if you don't get laid looking like you gym you won't actually gymming

• JFL
  • +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Deleted member 11479, randomvanish, Loud_Jock and 11 others
fuck all that shit

just get good shoulders and leave it, if you don't get laid looking like you gym you won't actually gymming
View attachment 942484
Maybe you should try working out. A good workout makes you forgot the oneitis that rejected you.

• +1
  • JFL
  • Love it
Reactions: mogstar, Kmscurry, TheRealist and 3 others
Maybe you should try working out. A good workout makes you forgot the oneitis that rejected you.
yeah as long as i get the body i sent i'm fine

although

i don't want to forget her do you understand

yeah as long as i get the body i sent i'm fine

although

i don't want to forget her do you understand
Now let's forget your oneitis who is probably enjoying quality time with a chad. Incline vs flat bench?

Now let's forget your oneitis who is probably enjoying quality time with a chad. Incline vs flat bench?
she isn't exactly someone a chad would be attracted to. maybe enjoying time with a high tier normie

also overhead press/delt machine

Incline is better

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 9090 and Wallenberg
she isn't exactly someone a chad would be attracted to. maybe enjoying time with a high tier normie

also overhead press/delt machine
Oh, you are a realist.

I do OHP.

• +1
Reactions: RODEBLUR
Incline is better, but do both. Focus on incline first then do flat after.

Lower chest is overdeveloped in most people that work chest but the upper portion can ALWAYS be bigger.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 9090 and Wallenberg
Incline builds more upper chest which is more aesthetic looking. If I workout chest, I´ll probably use a flat bench in the 6-8 rep range and an incline db press in the 12-15 rep range. E.g. simple Push workout could be working up to max set of 6 on flat bench, followed by 2 AMRAP sets on incline DBs in the 12-15 rep range. Throw in some shoulder and triceps isolation work after and you are good to go. If you can only pick one, I´d go for incline though. Also good is a High Incline Press on the smith machine.

• +1
Reactions: Wallenberg
Incline is better, but do both. Focus on incline first then do flat after.

Lower chest is overdeveloped in most people that work chest but the upper portion can ALWAYS be bigger.
What if I only do incline DB press for some time? Saves time. Maybe later I can add flat DB bench.

spares time and energy
Yeah and you´ll also end up looking with an unbalanced phsyique. 3x40 minute workouts per week is plenty to get a decent looking body. If you work some muscles more than others, will lead to imbalances. E.g. simply by doing deadlifts with a mixed grip, you will get unbalanced traps in the long run which will make you look stupid. Working out shoulders with no improvement in arms/chest/back will also make you look grotesque, proven by the pic you posted above.

fuck all that shit

just get good shoulders and leave it, if you don't get laid looking like you gym you won't actual
Shoulders are more important but you will get noticeably buff and strong looking if you also develop the chest

• +1
Yeah and you´ll also end up looking with an unbalanced phsyique. 3x40 minute workouts per week is plenty to get a decent looking body. If you work some muscles more than others, will lead to imbalances. E.g. simply by doing deadlifts with a mixed grip, you will get unbalanced traps in the long run which will make you look stupid. Working out shoulders with no improvement in arms/chest/back will also make you look grotesque, proven by the pic you posted above.
i like that body tho. he looks good in a shirt

What if I only do incline DB press for some time? Saves time. Maybe later I can add flat DB bench.
Sure saves you 10 minutes of your time, if that is worth it for you. Or do 2 Push/Chest sessions per week and alternate the two. Anyways the outcome won´t be radically different in either case, income maybe gives you 20% more upper chest gains.

• +1
It seems that the consensus is that incline is better if one wants to build a good-looking chest. That's what I care about because I go to the gym to looksmax. I don't care about powerlifting or about 1 rep flat bench max.

• +1
Reactions: chasing aesthetics and Deleted member 10551
i like that body tho. he looks good in a shirt
yeah and by working some other muscles he´d look good without one too. might as well put in the 20 more mins per workout session.

Sure saves you 10 minutes of your time, if that is worth it for you. Or do 2 Push/Chest sessions per week and alternate the two. Anyways the outcome won´t be radically different in either case, income maybe gives you 20% more upper chest gains.
Currently, I only do flat dumbbell bench. If I switch to incline dumbbell bench, it should be improved, even if I don't do flat anymore. Besides I can add flat later.

It seems that the consensus is that incline is better if one wants to build a good-looking chest. That's what I care about because I go to the gym to looksmax. I don't care about powerlifting or about 1 rep flat bench max.
"Powerlifting" is sort of a meme, but getting stronger also helps you with getting more aesthetic indirectly. E.g. as you get stronger, you will be also able to rep out more reps with a given weight, which translates to more hypertrophy. Hence why bodybuilders have cycles in their training where they focus on strength. As long as you work in the 6-12 rep range, you will get roughly the same amount of muscle growth.
Also look at the physiques of chinese weightlifters or Dmitri Klokov, they have good physiques, despite working in the 1-3 rep range mostly doing snatches, squats, various other compound movements.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Hero of the Imperium and Wallenberg
Currently, I only do flat dumbbell bench. If I switch to incline dumbbell bench, it should be improved, even if I don't do flat anymore. Besides I can add flat later.
Sure, for DBs I also do prefer Incline myself, on BB flat feels better for me personally.

• +1
"Powerlifting" is sort of a meme, but getting stronger also helps you with getting more aesthetic indirectly. E.g. as you get stronger, you will be also able to rep out more reps with a given weight, which translates to more hypertrophy. Hence why bodybuilders have cycles in their training where they focus on strength. As long as you work in the 6-12 rep range, you will get roughly the same amount of muscle growth.
Incline dumbbell bench 3x10
Lateral pulldown 4x10
Overhead press 3x10
Bicep curl 3x10

Add weights when I can do at least 12 on the last set.

Good, time-saving routine to build the upper body? Legs not that important at this point; I used to squat before. I don't see a risk of having "chicken legs" anytime soon.

yeah and by working some other muscles he´d look good without one too. might as well put in the 20 more mins per workout session.
cope,have a muscular dimorphic body matters,with the right muscles well developed
only doing shoulders allows for not being so strict diet and exercise

but doing what you would usually do while still looking like you gym

i literally dont have a chest side and i can do
what else u do for chest br0

i finally got a bench and rack and bench 2x a week

you are right on the part,but gym is lifee
what else u do for chest br0

i finally got a bench and rack and bench 2x a week
incline bench press and vertical bench press, that is,three chest exercises

not to mention that you can give yourself the right to eat a lot of junk food one day a week

• +1
Reactions: RODEBLUR

A big part of getting the v-taper wide frame look is also your back and abs. only doing shoulders will make your physique look grotesque, while you save 20 minutes of your time to post on online forums. Not worth it.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: TheRealist, Hero of the Imperium and Wallenberg
Do both and stretch with the dumbells on lowest position at the end of your last set. Declined too.

• +1
A big part of getting the v-taper wide frame look is also your back and abs. only doing shoulders will make your physique look grotesque, while you save 20 minutes of your time to post on online forums. Not worth it.
idk about back but abs is all the same for me and that guy is even skinnyfat and still has the v-taper because he's got shoulders

Also look at the physiques of chinese weightlifters or Dmitri Klokov, they have good physiques, despite working in the 1-3 rep range mostly doing snatches, squats, various other compound movements.
Yeah, what I meant by the powerlifting comment was that my goals in lifting are 100% aesthetics.

• +1
Reactions: DonerKebabMerchant
Incline dumbbell bench 3x10
Lateral pulldown 4x10
Overhead press 3x10
Bicep curl 3x10

Add weights when I can do at least 12 on the last set.

Good, time-saving routine to build the upper body? Legs not that important at this point; I used to squat before. I don't see a risk of having "chicken legs" anytime soon.
Looks good. You can look into LeanGains programs by Martin Berkhan. Book should be available on libgen or googling. He emphasizes minimalistic workouts with strict diet to give you a lean look that lots of people on this forum are after. If I were you I´d look into his stuff, especially RPT (Reverse Pyramid Training which saves you a ton of time. The gist of it is that you make your first set the hardest, lets say you do 8 reps on bench w/ 80 kilos (this should be your max weight for 8 sets. obviously warm up beforehand) . Next set, you take down 10% of the weight and try to beat 8 reps. Same thing with 1 more set. This way you completely exhaust your muscles on each set, and moving the most amount of weight on your 1st working set when you have the most energy, while 3x10 implies that you don´t go all out on all sets, since if you move the same weight on 3rd set as 1st set you didn´t exhaust your muscles completely ON EACH SET. Great if you wanna make gains in limited time and especially for more beginner/intermediate lifters.

For upper body workout, a good template is 1 Upper Body Vertical Push, 1 Horizontal Push, 1 Vertical Pull, 1 Horizontal Pull Excercise. E.g. Do an Incline/flat Bench Variant, an OHP Variant, a Row Variant, and a Chin Up/Pulldown Variant. With 4 excercises you hit your whole upper body, including arms indirectly, a Chin Up + Row should completely fry your biceps. For your routine I´d switch out the bicep curls for some kind of row, but doesnt make a night and day difference anyway. just make sure you are progressive overloading.

• +1
Reactions: Hero of the Imperium, Deleted member 10551 and Wallenberg
Looks good. You can look into LeanGains programs by Martin Berkhan. Book should be available on libgen or googling. He emphasizes minimalistic workouts with strict diet to give you a lean look that lots of people on this forum are after. If I were you I´d look into his stuff, especially RPT (Reverse Pyramid Training which saves you a ton of time. The gist of it is that you make your first set the hardest, lets say you do 8 reps on bench w/ 80 kilos (this should be your max weight for 8 sets. obviously warm up beforehand) . Next set, you take down 10% of the weight and try to beat 8 reps. Same thing with 1 more set. This way you completely exhaust your muscles on each set, and moving the most amount of weight on your 1st working set when you have the most energy, while 3x10 implies that you don´t go all out on all sets, since if you move the same weight on 3rd set as 1st set you didn´t exhaust your muscles completely ON EACH SET. Great if you wanna make gains in limited time and especially for more beginner/intermediate lifters.

For upper body workout, a good template is 1 Upper Body Vertical Push, 1 Horizontal Push, 1 Vertical Pull, 1 Horizontal Pull Excercise. E.g. Do an Incline/flat Bench Variant, an OHP Variant, a Row Variant, and a Chin Up/Pulldown Variant. With 4 excercises you hit your whole upper body, including arms indirectly, a Chin Up + Row should completely fry your biceps. For your routine I´d switch out the bicep curls for some kind of row, but doesnt make a night and day difference anyway. just make sure you are progressive overloading.
Good post, thanks. I'm at the beginner stage still.

I forgot to mention that I do that workout 4 or 3 times a week depending on the week. Not on consecutive days.

My gym has only dumbbells, barbells, lat pulldown machine, etc basic stuff. Not anything advanced.

My workout is actually Arnold's Golden six without squats and sit up. I'm not sure if I should add some abs movement like hanging leg raises? I don't like sit ups.

incline for sure, but it will mostly train the outer part of the chest

to get the most aesthetic chest, you need the inner upper part, which you can train with butterfly and reverse grip barbell incline bench

• +1
Good post, thanks. I'm at the beginner stage still.

I forgot to mention that I do that workout 4 or 3 times a week depending on the week. Not on consecutive days.

My gym has only dumbbells, barbells, lat pulldown machine, etc basic stuff. Not anything advanced.

My workout is actually Arnold's Golden six without squats and sit up. I'm not sure if I should add some abs movement like hanging leg raises? I don't like sit ups.
I think Leg Raise is in general better than sit up so sure why not.

Squats are OK, I switched to Leg Press after maxxing out 120x5 (kgs) on squats cause I injured my lower back after that. Leg Press is also a bit friendlier if you wanna start working your legs as well. There are some old-school BB theories that doing squats/DLs somehow increases your total testosterone just because of the amount of muscle you use to move the weights at a very high intensity, which should lean to better gains in general. (called smthng like the 20-rep squat routine, tried it a few times, is fucking nuts)

• +1
I think Leg Raise is in general better than sit up so sure why not.

Squats are OK, I switched to Leg Press after maxxing out 120x5 (kgs) on squats cause I injured my lower back after that. Leg Press is also a bit friendlier if you wanna start working your legs as well. There are some old-school BB theories that doing squats/DLs somehow increases your total testosterone just because of the amount of muscle you use to move the weights at a very high intensity, which should lean to better gains in general. (called smthng like the 20-rep squat routine, tried it a few times, is fucking nuts)
Is training abs important for having a good upper body? Some say that training them isn't as important as training other body parts.

Yeah, I have heard of squats increasing testosterone. If you would replace my bicep curl, what would you replace it with? Some kind of a row?

Is training abs important for having a good upper body? Some say that training them isn't as important as training other body parts.

Yeah, I have heard of squats increasing testosterone. If you would replace my bicep curl, what would you replace it with? Some kind of a row?
Abs and obliques get hit indirectly in lots of excercises since they stabilise your Upper Body (think Standing OHP, Pullup, Pulldown, Deadlifts, Squats) so training directly is not that important.

I´d replace it with single arm bent over rows, they also hit your forearms like crazy. But curls are also fine. If you are a beginner, just pick a routine you like and stick with it honestly, 1-2 excercises won´t make a giant difference.

https://leangains.com/reverse-pyramid-training-guide/
guy I was referring to before.

• +1
Abs and obliques get hit indirectly in lots of excercises since they stabilise your Upper Body (think Standing OHP, Pullup, Pulldown, Deadlifts, Squats) so training directly is not that important.

I´d replace it with single arm bent over rows, they also hit your forearms like crazy. But curls are also fine. If you are a beginner, just pick a routine you like and stick with it honestly, 1-2 excercises won´t make a giant difference.

https://leangains.com/reverse-pyramid-training-guide/
guy I was referring to before.
I have been doing my routine for some time now, so I'm not changing my routine every month. Just wanted to switch from flat DB bench to incline.

I have to look into single arm bent over rows and consider them.

• +1
@DonerKebabMerchant

Here is the original Arnold's Golden Six. I don't squat anymore. I do lat pulldown instead of chin-ups. I do OHP instead of behind the neck OHP. I don't do abs. And instead of barbell bench I start to do incline dumbbell press tomorrow.

Arnolds-Golden-Six-Routine-1.png

@DonerKebabMerchant

Here is the original Arnold's Golden Six. I don't squat anymore. I do lat pulldown instead of chin-ups. I do OHP instead of behind the neck OHP. I don't do abs. And instead of barbell bench I start to do incline dumbbell press tomorrow.

Arnolds-Golden-Six-Routine-1.png
This is a good routine. I thin BtN OHP + BB Bench is a more balanced combo than Incline Bench + OHP, since your variant hits mostly the same muscle groups twice (front delts, upper chest mostly), while the one in the routine hits Side + Rear Delts from the BtN OHP strongly and Chest + front delts from the BB Bench. In any case, the difference is marginal probably.

• +1
This is a good routine. I thin BtN OHP + BB Bench is a more balanced combo than Incline Bench + OHP, since your variant hits mostly the same muscle groups twice (front delts, upper chest mostly), while the one in the routine hits Side + Rear Delts from the BtN OHP strongly and Chest + front delts from the BB Bench. In any case, the difference is marginal probably.
Some people claim that BtN OHP is dangerous and so I switched to OHP.

• +1