Is being a Commercial Pilot a good job for future ?

draco

draco

persist
It's basically a pay to win system...
all that money spent too get the hours and certifications and no robust job security in your initial years.

Opinions from someone in aviation industry ?

Discussion points...

Since merit doesn't play much of a role here, how much do connections and nepotism matters ?

Saturation levels of the industry. ?

Military pilots are most desired plus they got free training while serving ofc.

Very niche y... Must have back ups during hard times like fuel super-surges and virus outbreaks.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and Bluepill
no.

airlines are dying

flightschool costs 60k min

for 10 years youre a copilot making 40k

when u become captain you finally make 150k

what im making at 22 minimum from my 4 years bachelors for my comfy software engineer job from home

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Kade, Deleted member 5583, intovoid and 5 others
all that money spent too get the hours and certifications and no robust job security in your initial years.

Discussion points...

Since merit doesn't play much of a role here, how much do connections and nepotism matters ?

Very niche y... Must have back ups during hard times like fuel super-surges and virus outbreaks.

I wanted to become a pilot too. But the flight school costs too much. Some airlines give you the money and you pay them back later.

Its a cool job ngl, good status halo, you will see the world, many women in your crew. But you can forget about hanging out with friends on a friday night

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: Mediocre Normalfag, FutureMogger, Deleted member 6401 and 2 others
no.

airlines are dying

what im making at 22 minimum from my 4 years bachelors for my comfy software engineer job from home
I agree.

Bit in some regions mostly developing parts of world copilots earn good...

Plus soft ware engineers have zero status unless they get to management position or bootstrap.

• +1
Reactions: FutureMogger and Deleted member 6401
Fuck flying around and dropping out of the sky cause some pajeet forgot to check the plane engine for faults

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: owlofathena, Deleted member 1680, Fear and 8 others

Discussion points...

you will lose ur prime by studying

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401
no.

airlines are dying

Nice man. I'm doing a degree in IT rn. The job demand for IT is increasing each year in my country.
Glad to hear you're making money at home, life better be really chill and enjoyable for you.
How long do you work in home for your job? Is it like an online interaction for 8 hours or what? Can you please specify?

• +1
Reactions: Vladimir makarov and Deleted member 6401
you get paid dog shit wages and shit flight times for the first few years but it's worth it in the long run

it was my plan until i found out i was colorblind

• So Sad
  • +1
Reactions: FutureMogger, Patient A, Deleted member 6401 and 2 others
Nice man. I'm doing a degree in IT rn. The job demand for IT is increasing each year in my country.
Glad to hear you're making money at home, life better be really chill and enjoyable for you.
How long do you work in home for your job? Is it like an online interaction for 8 hours or what? Can you please specify?
basically with software engineer jobs u gotta finish projects on time

so my plan is work 4 10 hour days from home and then have friday,saturday,sunday free.

that way half my week is comfy work from home and the i have the best days free

my uncle does this and travels every week

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and john2
basically with software engineer jobs u gotta finish projects on time

so my plan is work 4 10 hour days from home and then have friday,saturday,sunday free.

that way half my week is comfy work from home and the i have the best days free

my uncle does this and travels every week
Do you also have an undergraduate degree ?

• +1
Too scared of heights

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and draco
Do you also have an undergraduate degree ?
u basically need one

u can be self taught, but its saturated as fuck

just get a degree and have fun at college

• +1
Slayer job tbh

• +1
Reactions: Mediocre Normalfag and draco
Fuck flying around and dropping out of the sky cause some pajeet forgot to check the plane engine for faults
LMAO IT ALWAYS COMES BACK TO ROASTING CURRIES :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul: :lul:
no.

airlines are dying

There is no way you make £150,000 a year, working 40 hours a week, at the age of 22. Pure and utter Nonsense.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • JFL
Reactions: draco and FutureMogger
I work in the industry for a major carrier.

Right now I’d only recommend it if it’s been a passion of yours. The market is going to be very over saturated for probably the next 10 years because of COVID. Dozens of airlines have gone out of business in various parts of the world and all of those pilots with more hours than you are going to be flooding every company with jobs available.

Connections won’t really get you anywhere. The hiring boards for all majors are ridiculously strict and based purely on skill and ability to work with others.

Honestly being ex-mil doesn’t get you as much of a jumpstart as you’d expect except for maybe having more hours but realistically you could get your ATP and instruct to minimums and then jump to a regional with a direct pipeline to a major and be there 2 years after starting at the regional.

Yes it’s niche-y but most guys will have backup gigs whether it be instructing or some other random thing. Fuel prices aren’t much of a concern since airlines hedge fuel and some own their own refineries.
Thankfully (whether you love them or hate them) there is a very strong union presence in the majors and the ALPA is very powerful. Even with furloughs and severe schedule reductions my company is paying 72-75 hours a month of flight time which could be the equivalent of $26k for the most senior pilots to sit in their ass at home.

• +1
Reactions: Patient A
I work in the industry for a major carrier.

Right now I’d only recommend it if it’s been a passion of yours. The market is going to be very over saturated for probably the next 10 years because of COVID. Dozens of airlines have gone out of business in various parts of the world and all of those pilots with more hours than you are going to be flooding every company with jobs available.

Connections won’t really get you anywhere. The hiring boards for all majors are ridiculously strict and based purely on skill and ability to work with others.

Honestly being ex-mil doesn’t get you as much of a jumpstart as you’d expect except for maybe having more hours but realistically you could get your ATP and instruct to minimums and then jump to a regional with a direct pipeline to a major and be there 2 years after starting at the regional.

Yes it’s niche-y but most guys will have backup gigs whether it be instructing or some other random thing. Fuel prices aren’t much of a concern since airlines hedge fuel and some own their own refineries.
Thankfully (whether you love them or hate them) there is a very strong union presence in the majors and the ALPA is very powerful. Even with furloughs and severe schedule reductions my company is paying 72-75 hours a month of flight time which could be the equivalent of $26k for the most senior pilots to sit in their ass at home.
Didn't understand shit. I hate people like you

• Hmm...
Reactions: Patient A
Didn't understand shit. I hate people like you
I know I’m scatterbrained as shit when it comes to gathering my thoughts but I don’t really care.