Is shaving every day bad for skin?

JeremyMeeks

JeremyMeeks

Bronze
With safety razor.
I'm out everyday and I look much much better clean shaven.

I'm seen some threads where people say "my dad shaves everyday and he has good skin" but wondering if there is any science behind it?

im gonna let my barber shave my with a straight razor

Not when done with this:

• +1
Reactions: RAITEIII
shaving is good for your skin if your skin isnt already fucked. meaning, if you have acne and blackheads, shaving can irritate your skin and make it worse. if not, it can help your skin because facial hair is rarely clean and can irritate skin too

• +1
Reactions: JeremyMeeks, 2peasinapod and Deleted member 470
shaving is good for your skin if your skin isnt already fucked. meaning, if you have acne and blackheads, shaving can irritate your skin and make it worse. if not, it can help your skin because facial hair is rarely clean and can irritate skin too

Is this broscience or real? Makes logical sense.

Also saw some shit about how it increases blood circulation so skin looks healthier.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 2621
Is this broscience or real? Makes logical sense.

Also saw some shit about how it increases blood circulation so skin looks healthier.
a bro told me but it seems legit. tell me if you find something

i have gone 2 weeks but i have to shave for an event tomorrow

i was trying to grow a beard for once :rage:

Probably only bad if you use alcohol or other stuff that destroys your skin after shaving

I use safety razors too. The upside to shaving is that it's literally daily exfoliation. With good technique, tools, lather and etc.. ..you're set. I avoid aftershave because that can dry your face out and give you acne. I never get acne, folliculitis or razor burn after shaving, and I shave with and against the grain. Just make sure you have the right tools because crappy razors like Vokshods burn my face up and give me ingrowns. YMMV this stuff is subjective to the person.

I use safety razors too. The upside to shaving is that it's literally daily exfoliation. With good technique, tools, lather and etc.. ..you're set. I avoid aftershave because that can dry your face out and give you acne. I never get acne, folliculitis or razor burn after shaving, and I shave with and against the grain. Just make sure you have the right tools because crappy razors like Vokshods burn my face up and give me ingrowns. YMMV this stuff is subjective to the person.

Is your skin smooth asf then?
I have a sink full of warm water where my safety razor sits and I clean it in between of small passes. I also lather up some gillette foam in a cup for 30 seconds and apply it whilst shaving. Of course, I also wash my face with warm water before the shave as well.

Anything else to include?

My skincare routine with moisturizer and occlusive follow my shave.

Any shaving oil, gel or anything that will make the shave much cleaner and better for skin?

Is your skin smooth asf then?
I have a sink full of warm water where my safety razor sits and I clean it in between of small passes. I also lather up some gillette foam in a cup for 30 seconds and apply it whilst shaving. Of course, I also wash my face with warm water before the shave as well.

Anything else to include?

My skincare routine with moisturizer and occlusive follow my shave.

Any shaving oil, gel or anything that will make the shave much cleaner and better for skin?
I use Arko shave soap. It does not dry me out at all, and I used to have extremely severe cystic acne. I recommend trying it for one reason: cheap as shit and lasts practically forever. 1 stick is a dollar and lasts close to a literal year if you don't overuse it. A 12 pack off of amazon is 12 bucks. I lather up with that and boar bristle brush. Gillette Silver Blue blades do the trick for me and last for about 5-6 shaves. Next to that would be Feathers, but they're expensive compared to the Gillettes. My skin is smooth af when I shave because I know the grain of my hair and I have the tools that work for me.

Tbh it took a lot of trial and error finding the right stuff. Lather and blades are the most important. there's tryablade.com and you can try all the best blades out there for pennies. Arko was one of my first lathers and it just clicked for me. Try youtube to validate if you have good technique also. Lots of water is important for lathering. You need a soaking brush.
I use Arko shave soap. It does not dry me out at all, and I used to have extremely severe cystic acne. I recommend trying it for one reason: cheap as shit and lasts practically forever. 1 stick is a dollar and lasts close to a literal year if you don't overuse it. A 12 pack off of amazon is 12 bucks. I lather up with that and boar bristle brush. Gillette Silver Blue blades do the trick for me and last for about 5-6 shaves. Next to that would be Feathers, but they're expensive compared to the Gillettes. My skin is smooth af when I shave because I know the grain of my hair and I have the tools that work for me.

Tbh it took a lot of trial and error finding the right stuff. Lather and blades are the most important. there's tryablade.com and you can try all the best blades out there for pennies. Arko was one of my first lathers and it just clicked for me. Try youtube to validate if you have good technique also. Lots of water is important for lathering. You need a soaking brush.
I'd be careful with cleansing before shaving also. That's basically washing your skin twice, and can lead to acne because of overwashing. Sometimes not tending to your skin is the best thing for it. That's just my experience.

Last edited:
It depends on the products and tools you use (and quite honestly on your skin as an individual). If your skin can take it, go for it, if not, don't.

some gillette foam
I'm personally not a huge fan of this stuff, but as always if it works for you, go ahead.
I'd be careful with cleansing before shaving also. That's basically washing your skin twice, and can lead to acne because of overwashing. Sometimes not tending to your skin is the best thing for it. That's just my experience.
Nope.
Think it through: "let's drag a razor blade over skin that hasn't been thoroughly cleaned". I don't know about y'all but that doesn't sound overly sensible to me. Not only from a safety point of view, you'll also get a better shave if you cleanse properly first.