Is there a difference between a sliding genio and an orthognatic jaw surgery?

BoundToAscend

BoundToAscend

Banned
I've just started reading on the subject and it seems to me that they accomplish the same results. I'm curious because I have a receding chin and as result an undefined jaw, I'm considering doing one of the two but I don't quite understand the difference. I've also noticed that the orthognatic surgery is in average a lot more expensive, so unless it is much better I think I will do a genio. Please, if you've been on lookism for a long time and know more about this, shed me some light.

google it retard

• +1
Reactions: Kawhi and Deleted member 1106
It’s not the same thing at all.
In a genio, they cut a portion of your chin and move it forwards/downwards.
Orthognatic jaw surgery is used to correct malocclusions so if your bite is class 2 let’s say, they will move your lower jaw forward. If you have a normal bite (class 1) then you will have to get an advancement of both jaws ( Lefort 1 and BSSO) and maybe even get a counter-clockwise rotation so you don’t look downward grown.

• +1
Reactions: Lorsss
It’s not the same thing at all.
In a genio, they cut a portion of your chin and move it forwards/downwards.
Orthognatic jaw surgery is used to correct malocclusions so if your bite is class 2 let’s say, they will move your lower jaw forward. If you have a normal bite (class 1) then you will have to get an advancement of both jaws ( Lefort 1 and BSSO) and maybe even get a counter-clockwise rotation so you don’t look downward grown.
Why is it often called sliding genio ? Because it sounds better ? no bump in the jawline where the chin begins ?

Why is it often called sliding genio ? Because it sounds better ? no bump in the jawline where the chin begins ?
It's called sliding genioplasty because they slide bone to augment your chin.

• +1
Reactions: Guest
It’s easier to understand and because people can mistake it for a chin implant.

nope it looks totally natural
if my jaw wouldn't be so narrow, I would consider sliding genio

• +1
Reactions: Soulsmaxx
if my jaw wouldn't be so narrow, I would consider sliding genio
Depends on how narrow your jaw is. A big bulky jaw doesn't always look good. Marlon Teixeira doesn't necessarily have a wide jaw but it's still top tier because of its projection and definition.

A recessed chin, on the other hand, will always look terrible. I have a fairly wide jaw due to genetics + masseter hypertrophy, but it's not aesthetic because of my weak chin.

Depends on how narrow your jaw is. A big bulky jaw doesn't always look good. Marlon Teixeira doesn't necessarily have a wide jaw but it's still top tier because of its projection and definition.

View attachment 64726

A recessed chin, on the other hand, will always look terrible. I have a fairly wide jaw due to genetics + masseter hypertrophy, but it's not aesthetic because of my weak chin.
he has bulging brow ridge. Even if I get a lower third like him, I wouldn't look as good as him. My upper eyelids are not exposing, though. A Genio will be an improvement, but a wraparound is better for results. Hard decisions. I want everything done in summer of 2020.

he has bulging brow ridge. Even if I get a lower third like him, I wouldn't look as good as him. My upper eyelids are not exposing, though. A Genio will be an improvement, but a wraparound is better for results. Hard decisions. I want everything done in summer of 2020.
Obviously you wouldn't look like him, all I'm saying is that chin projection is more important than jaw width. There's tons of factors that go into the different surgeries that would be best for you.

custom wraparound jaw implants are also much much more expensive than sliding genio, something to consider

jaw surgery moves the entire jaw and teeth, genio moves only the chin bone. google that.

But does the genio also improve your jaw? or only your chin?