I've seen a few new people asking about skin stuff recently, so here we go.

how important is a thick dermis for glowing skin?

If you experience a slight burning/stinging sensation when putting a moisturiser or a cleanser on is this always a bad thing? Or could it sometimes be a good thing?

I’m on 0.025% tretinoin and have no irritation when/after I put it on, but the next morning when I put CeraVe hydrating cleanser and cerave moisturising lotion on it burns a bit

all this skincare, while all tik tok pretty boys do is shower once a day and thats it, with maxxed out collagen. brutal

hey @benignnice I am currently on a 6-month run of accutane for the second time. First time was just 6 months of 30 mg of Isotretinoin. This time the dermatologist wants to expirement with getting all the way to 120 mg in order to get rid of it forever. This is what my skin looks like at the moment.

What would you recommend for my skin/ how do I get rid of black heads/clogged pores and my acne scars?

Attachments

• 20200311_064802.jpg
    20200311_064802.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200311_064849.jpg
    20200311_064849.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200311_064801 (1).jpg
    20200311_064801 (1).jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 18
Alright thank you !

Also, does moisturizing alone could provide substantial results on somebody very healthy (never drunk, smoked...) with no major flaws skin wise on the face ?
or maybe adding another product would be better to perfect the skin ? (thought about Vitamin C).
If you don't use anything currently, the added moisture will be noticeable. But yes you will likely see better results if you were to add in something like a vitamin C.
@benignice hi man I hope you are doing well

Are toners necessary I mean yeah they restore natural PH in the skin, BUT if you use good quality PH balanced cleanser I don’t think they are necessary?.

And for the essences are they much better alternatives for toners? Because they contain naicinimide And haylonic acid,ect which are very good for the skin and I think they are much better and more useful than toners?.
It depends. Nowadays, a decent cleanser won't disrupt the pH of your skin too much so they shouldn't be needed for that reason. However, toners these days tend to fall into one of two categories- exfoliants or hydrating/actives, if your toner falls into one of these categories then they can be great.
There is no standard definition for essence vs toner vs mist vs tonic. Its all really just marketing.
how important is a thick dermis for glowing skin?
The health and hydration of the skin is way more important.
If you experience a slight burning/stinging sensation when putting a moisturiser or a cleanser on is this always a bad thing? Or could it sometimes be a good thing?

I’m on 0.025% tretinoin and have no irritation when/after I put it on, but the next morning when I put CeraVe hydrating cleanser and cerave moisturising lotion on it burns a bit
Yeah that'll be from the tretinoin, so you do have some irritation from it, it just doesn't necessarily show immediately. I wouldn't say it was a good thing. It depends on the severity as to whether you should discontinue use or not.
hey @benignnice I am currently on a 6-month run of accutane for the second time. First time was just 6 months of 30 mg of Isotretinoin. This time the dermatologist wants to expirement with getting all the way to 120 mg in order to get rid of it forever. This is what my skin looks like at the moment.

What would you recommend for my skin/ how do I get rid of black heads/clogged pores and my acne scars?
I'd recommend following your derm's advice- I'm not a doctor.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: mido the slayer
Is there any blackpilled way of dealing with keratosis pilaris?
"Moisturize and exfoliate" sounds like such a cope, but if it's all I've got, can you recommend exfoliators? I remember you saying you prefer chemical exfoliants rather than physical scrubbing
I don't have it on my face (thankfully) but the stuff on my arms and flanks is ghastly.

Is there any blackpilled way of dealing with keratosis pilaris?
"Moisturize and exfoliate" sounds like such a cope, but if it's all I've got, can you recommend exfoliators? I remember you saying you prefer chemical exfoliants rather than physical scrubbing
I don't have it on my face (thankfully) but the stuff on my arms and flanks is ghastly.
Either the Ameliorate or Amlactin body lotions.

So what's that schedule look like? Do i cleanse and moistures everyday.

Is it's this okay?

Am: moisturise and Sunscreen

Pm: cleanse and retin a

Usually it means the skin barrier is getting fucked and becoming dehydrated
all this skincare, while all tik tok pretty boys do is shower once a day and thats it, with maxxed out collagen. brutal
We dont know that

• +1
Reactions: GreenHat500 and Hopeful333
What to do about dark spots from old acne? I have brownish skin/lightskin nigger

What would you recommend doing for having soft and hydrated lips?

• +1
Reactions: sloopnoob
What would you recommend doing for having soft and hydrated lips?
A good lip balm and exfoliating when necessary.

• +1
Reactions: her
Any products recommendations?
There are thousands of good lip balms on the market. The Bite Agave Lip Mask, the original Nivea Lip Balm, Carmex, Clarins Comfort Lip Oil (technically these are lip glosses but using them overnight works well), Lanolips, I could be here forever listing them.

• +1
There are thousands of good lip balms on the market. The Bite Agave Lip Mask, the original Nivea Lip Balm, Carmex, Clarins Comfort Lip Oil (technically these are lip glosses but using them overnight works well), Lanolips, I could be here forever listing them.
Okay, thanks. I just got the Nivea Lip Balm today. For exfoliation, a lip scrub would be appropriate, right?

• +1
Okay, thanks. I just got the Nivea Lip Balm today. For exfoliation, a lip scrub would be appropriate, right?
Yeah that would work. Or rub your washcloth over your lips after you've cleansed your face a couple of times a week.

@benignice Hey my dude,

what is the product you'd say gave you the most obvious results ? You know this "whoa" effect !

By the way, I'm going to order a moisturizer don't know which one is the best on your list, and a vitamin C, probably going for the Drunk elephant one. So if you have anything to add to that or an advice.

Thanks again.

@benignice Hey my dude,

what is the product you'd say gave you the most obvious results ? You know this "whoa" effect !

By the way, I'm going to order a moisturizer don't know which one is the best on your list, and a vitamin C, probably going for the Drunk elephant one. So if you have anything to add to that or an advice.

Thanks again.
Immediately? A good humectant. Over time? Retinoids.
It depends on your skin as to which would be best.

What do you think is the best humectant?

What do you think is the best humectant?
Depends on the person. Personally I love glycerin and sodium PCA but hyaluronic acid seems to be all the rage at the minute.

• +1
Reactions: Seth Walsh
I don't have prescription for retin a, so i use to exfoliate my face "the ordinary aha 30% AHA and 2 % BHA" every two days.
I would like to as you if you could advise me a stronger peeling, when I apply the serum it tingles slightly but either I have already left the serum for more than an hour and my skin does not really look like react. I also have thick skin.

I don't have prescription for retin a, so i use to exfoliate my face "the ordinary aha 30% AHA and 2 % BHA" every two days.
I would like to as you if you could advise me a stronger peeling, when I apply the serum it tingles slightly but either I have already left the serum for more than an hour and my skin does not really look like react. I also have thick skin.
I wouldn't recommend using that every two days at all- once or twice a week. Also don't leave it for an hour. Just because you can doesn't mean that you should.

• +1
Reactions: FromEE
Do you know anything about loose skin and the prevention of it? Or if you can't prevent it, if there's a way to get rid of it once you get it? If not, would you be willing to invest your time on researching and seeing if anything truly helps for a monkey brain like mine? I'd even be willing to pay ngl.

Do you know anything about loose skin and the prevention of it? Or if you can't prevent it, if there's a way to get rid of it once you get it? If not, would you be willing to invest your time on researching and seeing if anything truly helps for a monkey brain like mine? I'd even be willing to pay ngl.
It really depends on what its from and how loose the skin is.

• +1
It really depends on what its from and how loose the skin is.
I'm more than sure that I wont have much loose skin and it wont be that noticeable but if you pull it, you will be able to tell. It'll be from losing weight. To compensate for it I've been moisturizing my skin with cerave daily after a shower + going gym. At the moment losing around 0.7kg/week. I guess age is going to play a huge role in this, but I'm 20 so I should be all good.

Start was 108kg want to get down to 85kg, currently at 102kg. Start bf% was 28.4%, goal is around 12%, currently at 26.2%. I can send a body pic of my start if you'd like.

I'm more than sure that I wont have much loose skin and it wont be that noticeable but if you pull it, you will be able to tell. It'll be from losing weight. To compensate for it I've been moisturizing my skin with cerave daily after a shower + going gym. At the moment losing around 0.7kg/week. I guess age is going to play a huge role in this, but I'm 20 so I should be all good.

Start was 108kg want to get down to 85kg, currently at 102kg. Start bf% was 28.4%, goal is around 12%, currently at 26.2%. I can send a body pic of my start if you'd like.
Keep the skin as moisturised as you can- potentially even a couple of times a day if you can fit it in. Age is definitely going to be on your side. You'd be surprised by how elastic skin is (look at pregnancy) so hopefully you'll get away with it. If its an issue for you though after you've lost the weight then go to a doctor and see what they can do for you.
Side note, genuinely well done on the weight loss man, keep it up.

• +1
Keep the skin as moisturised as you can- potentially even a couple of times a day if you can fit it in. Age is definitely going to be on your side. You'd be surprised by how elastic skin is (look at pregnancy) so hopefully you'll get away with it. If its an issue for you though after you've lost the weight then go to a doctor and see what they can do for you.
Side note, genuinely well done on the weight loss man, keep it up.
Sadly don't have the time for couple times a day. I barely know anything about skin but I do drink 5-6 water bottles a day, the typical 50cl ones, wash my face 2-3 times a day besides a shower too so I'm sure this is for now enough of a replacement for moisturizing more than a day.

I would be willing to go to a doctor but I'm pretty awkward with docs. Do I just go in and say "Is there anything you can help me with when it comes to loose skin?" lmao idk, I'm so awkward with them even tho socially I'm good in normal situations.

Thank you buddy, I doubt I'll be a slayer, but at least I'll be average rather than an ugly psl 3.

Sadly don't have the time for couple times a day. I barely know anything about skin but I do drink 5-6 water bottles a day, the typical 50cl ones, wash my face 2-3 times a day besides a shower too so I'm sure this is for now enough of a replacement for moisturizing more than a day.

I would be willing to go to a doctor but I'm pretty awkward with docs. Do I just go in and say "Is there anything you can help me with when it comes to loose skin?" lmao idk, I'm so awkward with them even tho socially I'm good in normal situations.

Thank you buddy, I doubt I'll be a slayer, but at least I'll be average rather than an ugly psl 3.
You don't need to wash your face more than twice a day. In fact it's better that you don't.
Yeah pretty much, with the shit (often literally) they see, no doctor is going to be bothered by you asking about loose skin.

• +1
You don't need to wash your face more than twice a day. In fact it's better that you don't.
Yeah pretty much, with the shit (often literally) they see, no doctor is going to be bothered by you asking about loose skin.
Appreciate the answers!

Not sure but I'm hesitating too much about the moisturizer. My skin is a mix on my face I think. I need your best choice, thanks bro !

Not sure but I'm hesitating too much about the moisturizer. My skin is a mix on my face I think. I need your best choice, thanks bro !
Since you're considering the Drunk Elephant vitamin C I assume that budget isn't too much of a concern. In which case I'd check out some of the Paula's Choice moisturisers and see which one you think would be good for you.

Since you're considering the Drunk Elephant vitamin C I assume that budget isn't too much of a concern. In which case I'd check out some of the Paula's Choice moisturisers and see which one you think would be good for you.

Is there a correlation between the price and the efficacy ? I thought not but with your experience in the skincare industry.

Is there a correlation between the price and the efficacy ? I thought not but with your experience in the skincare industry.
Not necessarily. Sometimes there is but sometimes there absolutely is not. Sometimes products do just cost more to make (and therefore are sold at a higher price) but then sometimes it's absolutely ridiculous what a brand will charge for an incredibly simple product (looking at you, La Mer Cream).

Not necessarily. Sometimes there is but sometimes there absolutely is not. Sometimes products do just cost more to make (and therefore are sold at a higher price) but then sometimes it's absolutely ridiculous what a brand will charge for an incredibly simple product (looking at you, La Mer Cream).

Super man. I'm going for one of the bestsellers from Paula's choice moisturizers. Very good reviews, but it's a spf 30 also.

Let's see how this goes. Hope my skin will benefit.

Can I take Beta Carotin supplements while also using retinoids on my face?

Super man. I'm going for one of the bestsellers from Paula's choice moisturizers. Very good reviews, but it's a spf 30 also.

Let's see how this goes. Hope my skin will benefit.
Hope it works out for you man.
Can I take Beta Carotin supplements while also using retinoids on my face?
Supplements and their interactions really aren't my area, sorry bro.

• +1
Reactions: thecaste
What would be the best moisturizer for really oily skin that has some small pimples from time to time?

• +1
How can I shrink my pores and fight blackheads?

I plan on starting tretinoin 0.05% again. Is it best to start 3x a week first? Also is it good for shallow atrophic acne scars? I’ve seen people say they get results with adapalene but thats otc so this should be better right?

What would be the best moisturizer for really oily skin that has some small pimples from time to time?
Something like the La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo(+) or one of the Paula's Choice moisturisers made for oily skin would be the first things that came to mind.
How can I shrink my pores and fight blackheads?
You can't shrink pores really, it doesn't work like that. For blackheads, try a BHA product.
I plan on starting tretinoin 0.05% again. Is it best to start 3x a week first? Also is it good for shallow atrophic acne scars? I’ve seen people say they get results with adapalene but thats otc so this should be better right?
I'd start at once or twice a week max and slowly build up. You might see some improvements in shallow atrophic scars but its not a guarantee. And not necessarily re adapalene. Some people find adapalene better, others find tretinoin better for them.

Last edited:
  • +1
Something like the La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo(+) or one of the Paula's Choice moisturisers made for oily skin would be the first things that came to mind.
The La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo(+) has SPF as well, right? Can I still use a sunscreen after I apply the moisturizer?

• +1
The La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo(+) has SPF as well, right? Can I still use a sunscreen after I apply the moisturizer?
I think there is a formula with SPF in, yeah. Yes, still use sunscreen- you're not likely to be applying enough moisturiser to get the full protection from the included sunscree.

• +1
Should we stick to sunscreens that only have ingredients like zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide? Are ingredients like oxybenzone really that toxic and estrogenic that we should avoid them like the plague or is it just fearmongering? @benignice

Should we stick to sunscreens that only have ingredients like zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide? Are ingredients like oxybenzone really that toxic and estrogenic that we should avoid them like the plague or is it just fearmongering? @benignice
If you're bothered by them, by all means stick to inorganic sunscreens but honestly its really just fearmongering.

@benignice is there anything to replace retin a with? Like glycolic acid? Cant get it rn

@benignice is there anything to replace retin a with? Like glycolic acid? Cant get it rn
Replace? Not really. It depends what you're using the Retin A for as to what to put in its place.

• +1
Reactions: .👽.
Replace? Not really. It depends what you're using the Retin A for as to what to put in its place.
I wanted to get bright, glowing and clear skin.

Im using bha, aha, vit c powder, glycolic acid 10%, aloe vera, sunscreen

can I use retin A under the eyes