I've seen a few new people asking about skin stuff recently, so here we go.

I wanted to get bright, glowing and clear skin.

Im using bha, aha, vit c powder, glycolic acid 10%, aloe vera, sunscreen
You use glycolic acid 10% daily? If so, don't. Possibly throw a good hydrator in there- it'll help with the 'glow'.
You could try one of the stronger retinol serums if you wanted to keep your retinoid exposure up while you can't buy Retin A.

can I use retin A under the eyes
If you're very careful, yes. Use a very small amount and be aware that it will migrate slightly after you've put it on so don't apply it right up to your eye.
The skin under your eye is much more prone to a reaction than say the skin on your cheeks so don't go too hard too fast and pay attention to how the skin is reacting.

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: .👽. and Xander578
Best suncream for oily skin that is non greasy/doesn't have any kind of sticky feeling? I'm only using a vit c + hyaluronic acid serum in the mornings at the moment

• +1
Reactions: GordonFreeman
You use glycolic acid 10% daily? If so, don't. Possibly throw a good hydrator in there- it'll help with the 'glow'.
You could try one of the stronger retinol serums if you wanted to keep your retinoid exposure up while you can't buy Retin A.

If you're very careful, yes. Use a very small amount and be aware that it will migrate slightly after you've put it on so don't apply it right up to your eye.
The skin under your eye is much more prone to a reaction than say the skin on your cheeks so don't go too hard too fast and pay attention to how the skin is reacting.
Is every other day ok? Istn aloe vera an hydrator?

about aloe vera gel, has anyone experienced irritation and reddening on the skin after applying it ?
why does that happen ? am i supposed to stop using it or should i just stick with it ? i would love even a small collagen boost, it's literally so vital

Is every other day ok? Istn aloe vera an hydrator?
Every other day is still a lot for a 10% glycolic. Twice a week maybe?
And it is, absolutely, but it might not be enough? It also might be- in which case don't bother adding anything else. But the key to 'glow' is to have really hydrated skin.
Best suncream for oily skin that is non greasy/doesn't have any kind of sticky feeling? I'm only using a vit c + hyaluronic acid serum in the mornings at the moment
Where are you based? Just certain ones will be more easily available.
about aloe vera gel, has anyone experienced irritation and reddening on the skin after applying it ?
why does that happen ? am i supposed to stop using it or should i just stick with it ? i would love even a small collagen boost, it's literally so vital
Which aloe vera are you using? Is it pure aloe vera? Either way, if you're experiencing that kind of irritation, yeah stop using it.

• +1
Reactions: middayshowers and .👽.
Where are you based? Just certain ones will be more easily available.
I'm thinking of getting "ANTHELIOS ULTRA-LIGHT INVISIBLE FLUID SPF50+", seems to tick all the boxes, would you recommend that one?

I'm thinking of getting "ANTHELIOS ULTRA-LIGHT INVISIBLE FLUID SPF50+", seems to tick all the boxes, would you recommend that one?
Yeah its a pretty decent one.

• +1
Reactions: middayshowers
is exfoliating everyday “bad” for your skin because you don’t let your skin build up enough, so u are basically exfoliating nothing?

i use this
AC9638CA 3FF5 4A3B BB3D 6A4D9ECD7973

@benignice

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 2846
Hi @benignice thank you for all your effort and work you put on this!

I had a few questions that I didnt see being asked...

1. How an athlete skincare should be like? In my case I do my training in the morning.
But almost all sunscream and moisturizer I put on make my eyes cry while sweating.
2. How can I get tann safely?
3. Should we take care of the skin of the rest of our body? In affirmative case, how?
4. How shall we take a shower for reduce skin damaging?
5. Cryogenesis via cold water does it work? I mean to reduce fat and infflamation

Last edited:
If i don't touch my face, take cold showers, cleanse 2x a day and moisturize, eat healthy, don't eat dairy, don't eat greasy foods, don't eat any sugar at all including fruit, and drink water, then I get no acne. I drank a Gatorade the other day and my face broke out the next day due to the sugar jfl.

I had a few questions that I didnt see being asked...

1. How an athlete skincare should be like? In my case I do my training in the morning.
But almost all sunscream and moisturizer I put on make my eyes cry while sweating.
2. How can I get tann safely?
3. Should we take care of the skin of the rest of our body? In affirmative case, how?
4. How shall we take a shower for reduce skin damaging?
5. Cryogenesis via cold water does it work? I mean to reduce fat and infflamation
1. Just shift your morning routine to after training. If you're training outside, find a good waterproof SPF and just use that until after you're done.
2. Sunscreen with a high SPF and high PPD rating. Although its not really something that can be done without any risk.
3. Yes, its still skin. The skin on your body can take more of a beating than your face but still try not to use overly stripping washes, and make sure you exfoliate and moisturise.
4. Don't have the shower too hot. Don't scrub your skin to within an inch of its life, its skin not a care engine.
5. In terms of the skin? No idea, sorry.

• Love it
Reactions: Deleted member 1707
Terrible fine lines under eyes - good idea to do:
-moistruizer
1h break
- moistruzer+ retin a 0.025 directly under eyes?

Terrible fine lines under eyes - good idea to do:
-moistruizer
1h break
- moistruzer+ retin a 0.025 directly under eyes?
If your eyes can take the tretinoin, sure. Just be careful to not get it right up to the lashline.

• +1
Reactions: Chico Chicowski
@benignice My derm gave me 0.025 retin-A and benzoyl peroxide spot treatment. NONE of it seems to be working anymore.

My acne is progressively getting worse. It's like hell around my mouth area. I look like I have herpes.

I've cut dairy out of my diet. Most sugars and carbs. I'm also using niacinamide.

I'm 16 and I'm sure this is hormonal. Should I start accutane?

I'm 16 and I'm sure this is hormonal. Should I start accutane?
Have you noticed any change using niacinamide? It can break some people out.
I'm not a derm and I'm certainly not your derm- I can't answer that question.

Have you noticed any change using niacinamide? It can break some people out.
I'm not a derm and I'm certainly not your derm- I can't answer that question.
Niacinamide made my skin less oily and red at first. Now I have tiny little pimples around my mouth and nose area. Maybe I should stop using it.

Its that time again boys, throw any skincare questions you might have my way and I'll do what I can to help.

I do also have a few questions for you though that have come to mind through being on here a while:
- What is the obsession with DIY-ing everything rather than just buying a product where someone else has done the hard work for you?
- Why are some of y'all so willing to do surgery/steroids/etc but as soon as it comes to putting "chemicals" on your face (and god forbid they're not "natural") you freak out? (I'm genuinely interested in this one, the naturalistic fallacy is fascinating to me)
- Why cite a scientific article if you don't know how to properly read one?
Are you a dermatologist bitch?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1849
@benignice shaving cream bad for face? Gtfih

@benignice shaving cream bad for face? Gtfih
Depends on the formula. I want to say usually good but I don't trust you all to not come up with a formula that isn't 98% hydrogen peroxide or some shit.

• Love it
Reactions: balding17yomanletcel
my skincare routine is currently
Am:
Cleanse
Toner
Aloe Vera mask (which I wash off and dry)
Moisturiser
Sunscreen
Pm:
Double cleanse
Toner
Moisturise
Tretinoin

Should I:
1. Change the timing off the aloe Vera mask so that I don’t have to wash it off after, or should I just not do it at all
2. Still keep the toner for both am/pm (I use the “White in Milk” toner by g9skin, it’s quite light andthe main ingredient is niacinamide)
3. Slot in a BHA product before/after toner in the morning (I intend to use one just on the sebaceous filaments on my nose after my Skin adjusts to tretinoin); which BHA(s) would you recommend, and should I change my routine before I do so?

also, what products would best lessen acne hyperpigmentation? it is only visible in certain lighting and from some angles, would it be unrealistic to expect it to be able to be completely treated?

Depends on the formula. I want to say usually good but I don't trust you all to not come up with a formula that isn't 98% hydrogen peroxide or some shit.

A lot of brands like to separate their products for different skin types. Generally, how much do formulae differ between moisturisers catering for normal skin and dry skin?

For example, would it make much of a difference to switch from a "normal" skin moisturiser to "very dry" for someone suffering from dry skin?

In my case, I want to switch to a moisturiser promoted by CeraVe for dry-to-very dry skin but is it worth it?

Here is the moisturiser I currently use:

What I want to buy:

Talking about these specific products, what is the difference in their formulae? Are there any major differences between them? Have they created 2 products just to max profits or would it be worth it for someone with very dry skin like me to switch to the dry skin product?

I know this might sound stupid but the ingredients look similar to me and I am wondering in this particular case they have just slapped some labels on their products to separate markets for more money. If there are legitimate differences I will switch to the very dry skin moisturiser... would appreciate your input @benignice thanks.

A lot of brands like to separate their products for different skin types. Generally, how much do formulae differ between moisturisers catering for normal skin and dry skin?
They don't differ much in terms of how they're formulated. Moisturisers will be different if they're targeted towards different skin types, yes.
Talking about these specific products, what is the difference in their formulae? Are there any major differences between them? Have they created 2 products just to max profits or would it be worth it for someone with very dry skin like me to switch to the dry skin product?
Even just reading the ingredients you can see the they're different.
But yes, they are different. The cream is much heavier.
1. Change the timing off the aloe Vera mask so that I don’t have to wash it off after, or should I just not do it at all
You could, or you could use a thin layer.
2. Still keep the toner for both am/pm (I use the “White in Milk” toner by g9skin, it’s quite light andthe main ingredient is niacinamide)
If its working well for you, go for it.
3. Slot in a BHA product before/after toner in the morning (I intend to use one just on the sebaceous filaments on my nose after my Skin adjusts to tretinoin); which BHA(s) would you recommend, and should I change my routine before I do so?
If your skin can take it you can, but it does have the potential to be too irritating.
what products would best lessen acne hyperpigmentation? it is only visible in certain lighting and from some angles, would it be unrealistic to expect it to be able to be completely treated?
Retinoids, niacinamide, vitamin C.

Last edited:
Move this to best of the best section @Elias @Aesthetic @BigBiceps @Lorsss

Fail not this one my bad
Meant the one with his word guide
Tagged u in the other

Last edited:
@benignice i hope it isn't to late to ask. but i can't miss out on the opportunity to ask a professional in the dermatology/skincare field.

Do you have any advice regarding tanning? many people advice not to go into direct sunlight or use sunbeds to get a nice glowy tan since it accelerates skin ageing and increases skin cancer risks.

That basically only leaves self tanners or tinted moisturisers left to use. do you have any recommendations?

Some say "retin a + tinted moisturiser" in tanning threads.

is there a way i can tan without damaging my skin (no fake tan)

@benignice In your guide it suggests using Vit C in the morning. The Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA spheres 2% serum has a very gritty texture. I would prefer to use it the PM before going to bed. Can it be applied after tret?

@benignice In your guide it suggests using Vit C in the morning. The Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA spheres 2% serum has a very gritty texture. I would prefer to use it the PM before going to bed. Can it be applied after tret?
I mix it with hyaluronic acid so it less gritty

• +1
Reactions: EverythingMattersCel
@benignice is Vanicream Facial Cleanser suitable for 2nd Cleanser since its foaming?

For example:
PM: La Roche Poosay Toleriane Dermo Cleaner as 1nd Cleanser+ Vanicream Facial Cleanser as second cleanser?
AM: Vanicream Facial Cleanser

Not sure if y'all still want answers since this is so old, but here they are in case:
@benignice i hope it isn't to late to ask. but i can't miss out on the opportunity to ask a professional in the dermatology/skincare field.

Do you have any advice regarding tanning? many people advice not to go into direct sunlight or use sunbeds to get a nice glowy tan since it accelerates skin ageing and increases skin cancer risks.

That basically only leaves self tanners or tinted moisturisers left to use. do you have any recommendations?

Some say "retin a + tinted moisturiser" in tanning threads.
There is no such thing as a safe tan. If you want to tan, thats on you- but the point of tanning is your skin trying to protect itself from further damage.
Tan Luxe is a pretty good option for sunless tanners.
is there a way i can tan without damaging my skin (no fake tan)
See above.
Other than that, wear sunscreen (properly).
Yeah, it is really gritty. I wouldn't apply it immediately after tret unless your skin is like a fucking rhino hide.
@benignice is Vanicream Facial Cleanser suitable for 2nd Cleanser since its foaming?

For example:
PM: La Roche Poosay Toleriane Dermo Cleaner as 1nd Cleanser+ Vanicream Facial Cleanser as second cleanser?
AM: Vanicream Facial Cleanser
I've never tried it, but I'd imagine it would be fine. (even though I'm not a huge fan of most foaming cleansers)

• +1
Reactions: wasted, lasthope and jj43
I've never tried it, but I'd imagine it would be fine. (even though I'm not a huge fan of most foaming cleansers)
But isn't Vanicream Facial Cleanser a gentle cleanser? why you don't like foaming cleanser?

• +1
Reactions: lasthope
Its that time again boys, throw any skincare questions you might have my way and I'll do what I can to help.

I do also have a few questions for you though that have come to mind through being on here a while:
- What is the obsession with DIY-ing everything rather than just buying a product where someone else has done the hard work for you?
- Why are some of y'all so willing to do surgery/steroids/etc but as soon as it comes to putting "chemicals" on your face (and god forbid they're not "natural") you freak out? (I'm genuinely interested in this one, the naturalistic fallacy is fascinating to me)
- Why cite a scientific article if you don't know how to properly read one?
Help me pls

@benignice bro could you help me?

STATS:
25 yo
Oily skin type
Average skin
I never had acne in my life Some other pimple in my teens

How can I start to have above average skin? What would be the basic and most effective products and treatments that I should focus on first and that give me 80% of the results?

One of them would be retin A and Red light therapy?

Thank you very much