Jaw surgery glossary

Lorsss

Lorsss

mod. Username: Lorsss
Staff
I had to write this thread because there are still too many people who don't know the difference between double jaw surgery and bimax

Maxilla: upper jaw
iu

Mandilbe: Lower jaw

OMS: oral and maxillofacial surgery, it is a medicine specialty focusing on mouth, face, head and neck
OMS(2): A dentist who is trained to perform surgery to correct injuries, defects, or conditions of the mouth, teeth, jaws, and face.

Maxillofacial surgery: [1]
A surgical specialty that manages diseases (including cancer), injuries and congenital defects in the head, neck, face, jaws and the hard and soft tissues of the mouth and maxillofacial regions. In some countries (e.g., USA) it is a dental specialty; in others (e.g., UK), maxillofacial surgeons are medical doctors.

Orthognatic surgery: any maxillofacial surgery whoose main purpose is fixing the position of the jaws. The patients usually gets a cosmetic improvement too.

Jaw surgery: Any surgery performed on upper or lower jaw by a OMS doctor. It's goal may be functional, aesthetical or both

Lefort 1: The cut on the maxilla performed by the doctor to move a part of the maxilla forward. The CCW Lefort 1 is a specific lefort cut in which the occlusal plane gets rotated upward.

BSSO: The cut on the mandible performed by the doctor to move a part of the mandible forward.

Chin wing: An aesthetic surgery to enhance the lower third. It consists of sliding genioplasty and a jawline osteotomy

Bimax surgey: short for Bimaxillary surgery, it is a specific Jaw surgery performed on both Maxilla and Mandible, so it consists of Lefort and BSSO.

Double jaw surgery: synonym of bimax surgery
Chin shield / mini chin wing: A sliding genioplasty variation in which a big portion of chin is moved forward

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: kuroganeikki, Albeacho, YoungRichNigga and 35 others
water

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Over and CristianT
nice thread

these fkin english people call "jaw" both maxilla and mandible and someone who is at beginning could midunderstand shit (this happened to me months ago)

it's better to use maxilla and mandible imo

• +1
Reactions: 6’1Chink, CursedOne, Arkantos and 5 others
It should be in the looksmaxxing archive under orthogantic surgery tbh @Lorsss

• +1
Reactions: 6’1Chink
"chin" wing gets the entire jaw? lol

Lefort 3 for greycels?

• Hmm...
  • +1
Reactions: Usum and Deleted member 4053
"chin" wing gets the entire jaw? lol
sliding genioplasty: chin advancement
chin shield: advancement of chin and mandible body
chin wing: advancement of chin, mandible body and mandible angles

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero, CursedOne, Deleted member 5891 and 1 other person
I had to write this thread because there are still too many people who don't know the difference between double jaw surgery and bimax

Double jaw surgery: synonym of bimax surgery
:feelskek::feelskek::feelskek:

• +1
Reactions: stuckneworleans, Cope and Romnel
sliding genioplasty: chin advancement
chin shield: advancement of chin and mandible body
chin wing: advancement of chin, mandible body and mandible angles
i get it, it's just that the name is counterintuitive

So the best is bimax ?

Can you read my pm I had a question

• +1
Reactions: Lorsss
Lefort 3 for greycels?
Imagine coping by convincing yourself you will one day get the procedure on the right aka the LeCope III

• +1
Reactions: Chadelite
Which one of these helps for nasolabial folds, gonna assume its Lefort

@Lorsss how much do you know about asymmetry correction of the maxilla/mandible via jaw surgery?

I want bimax 7mm on both jaws w/ ccw and asymmetry correction all together if possible

• +1
Reactions: Darkstrand
@Lorsss how much do you know about asymmetry correction of the maxilla/mandible via jaw surgery?

I want bimax 7mm on both jaws w/ ccw and asymmetry correction all together if possible
the OMS usually corrects the asymmetry during the bimax

without extra charge or a request?
no, he justs performs the Lefort cut in the proper direction so the asymmetry is fixed

• Love it
  • Woah
Reactions: Deleted member 1849 and Deleted member 3962
Nice thread for the people

I had a OMS surgery 10+ years ago because of a stupid dentist and every fu.... corner was touched.
Had I known, I would have asked for this shit.
At least, I would have benefitted from it (one month at hospital then home and looking like a fucking monster).
Plus they fucked one of my facial nerve (less sensitive)

Shit shit shit.

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: 6’1Chink, inv1sible and Darkstrand
Mirin @lorss thx

What is IMDO? Is it the same as BSSO?

@Lorsss Could you make some suggestions about what surgery I should get if I pm you my side profile?