Losing Fat and Gaining Back Muscle? GYM EXPERTS please join.

TheUpcomingE

TheUpcomingE

Iron
Hey guys, I'm 5'10 and was able to get from 115 lbs (10-12% bf) to 168 lbs (14-16% bf) in a span of 19 months. Due to injuries and stuff, I haven't worked out hard and consistently lately nor eaten enough calories so my weight has dropped down to 154 lbs (14-16% bf).

Can I gain back the muscle mass I lost while losing fat, if so how? Ideally, I'd like to get down to 12% bodyfat before gaining any new pound of muscle mass (not including the lbs of muscle I've lost).

Eat atleast 2g/kg protein(or even more), get your micronutrients in, focus on progressive overload(esp on the compound lifts), combine compound exercises with isolation work, calculate your training volume and increase it over time.

Start with like 12-14 sets of chest and back exercises for week, and slowly increase it overtime to ~20. On arms for example you can start with a very little isolation work because you'll work them mostly from all the back and chest exercises, so you can start with like 3-4 sets of direct biceps and triceps work and slowly increase it up to 6 or 9 isolation sets for both bic and tric in a week. You can find out in this site how much volume you need for each muscle group: https://emerging-athlete.com/?s=Volume

As for program, I recommend: PPL 2x or Upper/lower or Full body or a hybrid program(for example Push-Pull-Legs-rest-Upper-Lower-rest, or something like what I do at the moment: Push+quadriceps -Pull+hamstrings -Rest- Push+quads -Pull+hams -Rest- Full body -Rest

Stay close to your caloric maintenance, maybe a deficit of 200-300 calories. Or maybe on training days stay in caloric maintenance and on rest days stay on a deficit of ~300 calories, that way you will lose fat with a slow tempo while also gaining muscle.

If you wanna take any supplements, what might be good: Whey(you'll need lots of protein especially if you're trying to gain some muscle in deficit), Creatine (it's good no matter if you cut or bulk), Caffeine (helps you push yourself harder and longer so it'll help with progressive overload and also burning more calories), maybe Ashwagandha to reduce cortisol levels. You can take Vit d3/magnesium/zinc/omega 3 if you think you don't get enough from ur diet.

Last edited:
  • Love it
Reactions: Deleted member 6873
Eat atleast 2g/kg protein(or even more), get your micronutrients in, focus on progressive overload(esp on the compound lifts), combine compound exercises with isolation work, calculate your training volume and increase it over time.

Start with like 12-14 sets of chest and back exercises for week, and slowly increase it overtime to ~20. On arms for example you can start with a very little isolation work because you'll work them mostly from all the back and chest exercises, so you can start with like 3-4 sets of direct biceps and triceps work and slowly increase it up to 6 or 9 isolation sets for both bic and tric in a week. You can find out in this site how much volume you need for each muscle group: https://emerging-athlete.com/?s=Volume

As for program, I recommend: PPL 2x or Upper/lower or Full body or a hybrid program(for example Push-Pull-Legs-rest-Upper-Lower-rest, or something like what I do at the moment: Push+quadriceps -Pull+hamstrings -Rest- Push+quads -Pull+hams -Rest- Full body -Rest

Stay close to your caloric maintenance, maybe a deficit of 200-300 calories. Or maybe on training days stay in caloric maintenance and on rest days stay on a deficit of ~300 calories, that way you will lose fat with a slow tempo while also gaining muscle.

If you wanna take any supplements, what might be good: Whey(you'll need lots of protein especially if you're trying to gain some muscle in deficit), Creatine (it's good no matter if you cut or bulk), Caffeine (helps you push yourself harder and longer so it'll help with progressive overload and also burning more calories), maybe Ashwagandha to reduce cortisol levels. You can take Vit d3/magnesium/zinc/omega 3 if you think you don't get enough from ur diet.
show body

Thanks, yeah thats what Ive done so far in terms of training.

I just wanna cut down the bodyfat and gain the muscle I lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back