Microneedling for hair loss

D

Deleted member 4645

Retired
Quick guide on microneedling for hair loss, all infos are sourced from reputable sources (More Plates More Dates, The Hair Loss Show and a couple studies/reports).

Benefits of microneedling for hair loss
  • Microneedling is the procedure of causing micro punctures in the skin, encouraging it to heal and promote hair growth.
  • It increases blood flow to the area and stimulates the skin by causing superficial injuries and promotes collagen.
  • Healing occurs after 24 to 48h, and will leave no permanent visible scars.
  • Side effect profile is very low, and the hair gains are considerable, making it worthy to implement in your hair loss prevention routine.
Combining microneedling with Minoxidil
  • Its effect compounds very well with that of Minoxidil, both should be simultaneously used for maximum results.
  • Wait at least 12h (and preferably 24h) in-between microneedling and minoxidil, to avoid potential side effects (high heart rate, drop in blood pressure)
Comparison of hair growth results on Minoxidil 5% + Microneedling vs Minoxidil 5% :

Patients who didn't benefit from Minoxidil alone in the past, did see benefits when combining it with micronnedling.

"Twelve men, unsatisfied with Finasteride and Minoxidil in the past, had +1 and +2 responses (4 and 8 men respectively) in Microneedling group on investigator's evaluation. Similar eight unsatisfied men to the previous treatment, showed no change after 12 week study period in the Minoxidil group."

Study : https://europepmc.org/article/pmc/pmc3746236

How to dermaroll ?
  • Roll in one direction, for example from hairline all the way to vertex, and repeat.​
  • Duration should be about 3 to 5 minutes for each session.​
  • Wetting your hair and coming your hair before can help you reach the scalp more easily.​
  • Once a week using a 1.5mm needle is the ideal routine.​

What microneedling device should I use?

• The most recommended microneedling device is the dermaroller.
  • An alternative to the dermaroller is the dermastamp, which punches holes in your scalp in a less invasive manner, since you're directly punching holes in and out of your scalp, instead of rolling the needles and causing potential tearing.
  • Another more pricey, but more effective alternative is the Derminator. More info on their website.
What size should the needles be?
  • Needles come in different depths. Different people have different dermal thickness.
  • However, 1mm up to 1.5mm under the skin is usually what's best to reach the bulge area of the hair follicle.
  • Using a longer needle (or simply overdoing microneedling) might damage the hair follicle, leading to temporary shedding.
What dermaroller should I buy?

• Dermarollers come with either stainless steel or titanium needles. Titanium is more durable because it's a stronger alloy than stainless steel. This means the needles will last longer and the sharpness won't blunt as quickly. However, stainless steel is inherently more sterile.
  • Any good rated Dermaroller will do, just avoid cheap ones or sketchy sites like Aliexpress.
  • Some recommendation I found online :
  • Linduray Skincare Dermaroller (~$10)
  • STIMUROLLER+ ($18, if you're high T and dislike pink)

How to clean my dermaroller?

Always sterilize your derma roller after usage
  1. Give it a quick rinse with hot water
  2. Pour rubbing alcohol (60-90%) or hydrogen peroxide into a container
  3. Place the dermaroller upside down in the container for 1h.
  4. Rinse the dermaroller with hot water for a minute
  5. Let it dry
NOTE : It's recommended to often replace your dermaroller. A good dermaroller can last from 10 to 15 uses.

Tagging people who replied on my first thread : @Carl-o @Syobevoli

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: OOGABOOGA, Treasure223, hairyballscel and 5 others
No hair for your lossus

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Mewton, Deleted member 6382, BigBoy and 1 other person
Quick guide on microneedling for hair loss, all infos are sourced from reputable sources (More Plates More Dates, The Hair Loss Show and a couple studies/reports).

Benefits of microneedling for hair loss
  • Microneedling is the procedure of causing micro punctures in the skin, encouraging it to heal and promote hair growth.
  • It increases blood flow to the area and stimulates the skin by causing superficial injuries and promotes collagen.
  • Healing occurs after 24 to 48h, and will leave no permanent visible scars.
  • Side effect profile is very low, and the hair gains are considerable, making it worthy to implement in your hair loss prevention routine.
Combining microneedling with Minoxidil
  • Its effect compounds very well with that of Minoxidil, both should be simultaneously used for maximum results.
  • Wait at least 12h (and preferably 24h) in-between microneedling and minoxidil, to avoid potential side effects (high heart rate, drop in blood pressure)
Comparison of hair growth results on Minoxidil 5% + Microneedling vs Minoxidil 5% :

Patients who didn't benefit from Minoxidil alone in the past, did see benefits when combining it with micronnedling.

"Twelve men, unsatisfied with Finasteride and Minoxidil in the past, had +1 and +2 responses (4 and 8 men respectively) in Microneedling group on investigator's evaluation. Similar eight unsatisfied men to the previous treatment, showed no change after 12 week study period in the Minoxidil group."

Study : https://europepmc.org/article/pmc/pmc3746236

How to dermaroll ?
  • Roll in one direction, for example from hairline all the way to vertex, and repeat.​
  • Duration should be about 3 to 5 minutes for each session.​
  • Wetting your hair and coming your hair before can help you reach the scalp more easily.​
  • Once a week using a 1.5mm needle is the ideal routine.​

What microneedling device should I use?

• The most recommended microneedling device is the dermaroller.
  • An alternative to the dermaroller is the dermastamp, which punches holes in your scalp in a less invasive manner, since you're directly punching holes in and out of your scalp, instead of rolling the needles and causing potential tearing.
  • Another more pricey, but more effective alternative is the Derminator. More info on their website.
What size should the needles be?
  • Needles come in different depths. Different people have different dermal thickness.
  • However, 1mm up to 1.5mm under the skin is usually what's best to reach the bulge area of the hair follicle.
  • Using a longer needle (or simply overdoing microneedling) might damage the hair follicle, leading to temporary shedding.
What dermaroller should I buy?

• Dermarollers come with either stainless steel or titanium needles. Titanium is more durable because it's a stronger alloy than stainless steel. This means the needles will last longer and the sharpness won't blunt as quickly. However, stainless steel is inherently more sterile.
  • Any good rated Dermaroller will do, just avoid cheap ones or sketchy sites like Aliexpress.
  • Some recommendation I found online :
  • Linduray Skincare Dermaroller (~$10)
  • STIMUROLLER+ ($18, if you're high T and dislike pink)

How to clean my dermaroller?

Always sterilize your derma roller after usage
  1. Give it a quick rinse with hot water
  2. Pour rubbing alcohol (60-90%) or hydrogen peroxide into a container
  3. Place the dermaroller upside down in the container for 1h.
  4. Rinse the dermaroller with hot water for a minute
  5. Let it dry
NOTE : It's recommended to often replace your dermaroller. A good dermaroller can last from 10 to 15 uses.

Tagging people who replied on my first thread : @Carl-o @Syobevoli
bump

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 4645
So 1.5mm dont damage hair folicle?

So 1.5mm dont damage hair folicle?

No. The bulb of the hair follicle is usually located 2mm under the scalp.

If you wanna learn more :

• +1
Reactions: lasthope
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 17429, Deleted member 6382 and Deleted member 4645
  • +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Mewton, manossarik, Deleted member 4645 and 1 other person
Would it work to microneedle on places where you've never had hair before? Like at the top of your forehead to try to get a lower hairline if you just have a naturally high set hairline since birth

• +1
great thread
peppermint and rosemary oil are also really good when combined with microneedling

This study investigated the effect of peppermint oil on hair growth in C57BL/6 mice. The animals were randomized into 4 groups based on different topical applications: saline (SA), jojoba oil (JO), 3% minoxidil (MXD), and 3% peppermint oil (PEO). The hair growth effects of the 4-week topical applications were evaluated in terms of hair growth, histological analysis, enzymatic activity of alkaline phosphatase (ALP), and gene expression of insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1), known bio-markers for the enhanced hair growth. Of the 4 experimental groups, PEO group showed the most prominent hair growth effects; a significant increase in dermal thickness, follicle number, and follicle depth.

After a baseline visit, patients returned to the clinic for efficacy and safety evaluations every 3 months. A standardized professional microphotographic assessment of each volunteer was taken at the initial interview and after 3 and 6 months of the trial. No significant change was observed in the mean hair count at the 3-month endpoint, neither in the rosemary nor in the minoxidil group (P > .05). In contrast, both groups experienced a significant increase in hair count at the 6-month endpoint compared with the baseline and 3-month endpoint (P < .05).

• +1
Reactions: Mewton and Deleted member 4645
Would it work to microneedle on places where you've never had hair before? Like at the top of your forehead to try to get a lower hairline if you just have a naturally high set hairline since birth

Good question. Usually, you can't save a hair follicle that shrunk more than 50%, so a bald area wouldn't be improved. However, you might have dormant hair follicles in areas that seem bald to the naked eye, so it's still worth trying.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 8846
great thread
peppermint and rosemary oil are also really good when combined with microneedling

This study investigated the effect of peppermint oil on hair growth in C57BL/6 mice. The animals were randomized into 4 groups based on different topical applications: saline (SA), jojoba oil (JO), 3% minoxidil (MXD), and 3% peppermint oil (PEO). The hair growth effects of the 4-week topical applications were evaluated in terms of hair growth, histological analysis, enzymatic activity of alkaline phosphatase (ALP), and gene expression of insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1), known bio-markers for the enhanced hair growth. Of the 4 experimental groups, PEO group showed the most prominent hair growth effects; a significant increase in dermal thickness, follicle number, and follicle depth.

After a baseline visit, patients returned to the clinic for efficacy and safety evaluations every 3 months. A standardized professional microphotographic assessment of each volunteer was taken at the initial interview and after 3 and 6 months of the trial. No significant change was observed in the mean hair count at the 3-month endpoint, neither in the rosemary nor in the minoxidil group (P > .05). In contrast, both groups experienced a significant increase in hair count at the 6-month endpoint compared with the baseline and 3-month endpoint (P < .05).

I saw the study, could be worth trying, but anecdotal reports on online forums have shown mixed results. I also think Minox is simply easier to apply, easier to get your hands on, and the results are almost guaranteed for most. There has also been no study of peppermint combined with dermarolling, worth considering though.

• +1
Reactions: hairyballscel
Good question. Usually, you can't save a hair follicle that shrunk more than 50%, so a bald area wouldn't be improved. However, you might have dormant hair follicles in areas that seem bald to the naked eye, so it's still worth trying.
I have very tiny, very light "baby hairs" right before my hairline that are only visible in good lighting do those count?

Last edited:
  • +1
I have very tiny, very light "baby hairs" right before my hairline that are only visible in good lighting does those count?

Those are vellus hair. I'd try if I were you, it's worth it.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 8846
Those are vellus hair. I'd try if I were you, it's worth it.
Can't you do microneedling + minoxidil for best results?

Edit: nvm just read your post fully

• +1
I saw the study, could be worth trying, but anecdotal reports on online forums have shown mixed results. I also think Minox is simply easier to apply, easier to get your hands on, and the results are almost guaranteed for most. There has also been no study of peppermint combined with dermarolling, worth considering though.
i've heard some of the gains from minox will fall out once you stop using it doe?

• +1
i've heard some of the gains from minox will fall out once you stop using it doe?

Yeah, hair you grow through Minoxidil becomes dependent on the drug.

Yeah, hair you grow through Minoxidil becomes dependent on the drug.
fuaark, if peppermint and rosemary doesn't work than i'll go with minox, annoying tbh

• +1
Is there any hope in achieving NW0 hairline with microneedling+min as a NW1?

What do I do after finishing my needling session? Do I wash my scalp again?