My Ptosis Surgery Experience

B

baruch

Iron
Ptosis is the drooping of the upper eyelids.

Here is my before:

One way to measure how severe your ptosis is marginal reflex distance. This is distance between the light reflected by your pupil and the end of the upper eyelid. I have been told many of you exclusively read picture books. So here is a diagram illustrating what I mean:

Diagramreal

In my left eyelid, the light reflex was completely covered by the eyelid. The light reflex in my right eye was partially covered by my eyelid.

The day of the surgery I was given a xanax and an hour later it began. The only painful part was when the doctor injected the local anesthetic into my eyelids. I experienced a stinging pain but it went away after a few seconds. During the operation I remember having my eyelids closed but seeing through them because my doctor had made an incision. Although this must sound very unnerving, I didn't care at the time most likely due to the effects of the xanax. The surgery was about half an hour.

The next day or so I looked like this:

Despite being very swollen, my eyelids no longer covered the light reflex.

The recovery was relatively easy. It was not painful but definitely uncomfortable. My eyes would tire very easily so reading or looking at a computer screen could only be done for short periods. I had to avoid exercise and bending over otherwise I would feel like the stitches in my eyelids were going to burst. It was painful to move my eyes side to side. I compensated by turning my neck more. Every evening I was instructed to apply a gooey ointment onto my eyes. I dreaded this the most. After about two weeks, the recovery was complete.

The final result:

Both eyelids were raised by about 2 mm.

Although there is an improvement, it is very subtle. My surgeon recommended that we do not try to raise the eyelids more because we could risk an over-correction, in which I am no longer able to fully close my eyelids. Perhaps this is true. Or perhaps my surgeon does not want to be obligated to do another procedure without getting paid. His policy is that I am allowed a revision free of charge if I am not 100% satisfied with the results.

In the past month, I have had three instances of waking during the middle of the night because my eyes were extremely dry. This probably due to them not fully closing when I am asleep. It is easily resolved by applying eye drops. Because of this, I am wary to pursue any more eyelid surgery.

My final goal is to get fully hooded, hunter eyes. I am researching supra-orbital implants, brow implants, or just upper eye area fillers.

• +1
Reactions: BackFromTheMogging, nastynas, Gaia262 and 2 others
what surgeon

Good results tbh ngl

Looks like shit still sorry man u wasted money

355A43DF 2F51 478D B141 E45FD5500620

• JFL
Reactions: ChaddeusPeuterschmit
now get canthoplasty and ur good 2 go

Pretty good. Congrats mate.

• +1
Reactions: baruch and Deleted member 6401