My surgically assisted MSE failed

M

maxillalefort

Iron
I am a mid 20s (curry / south asian) with a narrow and protrusive maxilla.

My front teeth are sticking out but the rest of my maxilla and cheekbones are very recessed, giving me deep nasolabial folds, and making me look like some kind of 45 year old beta male weasel, rat creature. I noticed in movies they always cast people who look like this as the weak villain who takes always advantage of people. i.e. https://lumiere-a.akamaihd.net/v1/images/image_313f2629.jpeg Talking to girls in their 20s is out of the question. They even avoid sitting next to me on public transport.

Anyway, I decided to look into MSE thinking that it would improve the way that I look. I thought the MSE would weaken the sutures of the maxilla, and then I could bring the upper portion of the maxilla out using facemask, and pull back the front teeth later orthodontically to make it more balanced and help me look younger.

So I had my surgically assisted MSE installed about a month ago. The surgeon made partial cuts in the maxilla along the buttress to weaken it, and also split my midpalatal suture with a chisel. Right after the surgery I got around a 1 mm diastema.

44 turns later my diastema hasn't gotten any wider and the MSE is warping / bending. The ortho and surgeon both told me I am their first patient who failed to expand even with surgical assist. The facemask isn't working at all either.

In fact I think the MSE made me look worse. After the surgery, my IPD and and right nostril's alar base both increased by maybe 1 mm. Now my nose looks more like a deformed version of an African nose and less like a Caucasian one.

The surgeon is recommending me to go with a different type of distractor that looks like this:

I'm going to try back turning and forward turning the MSE a bunch of times so see if that works. And then try the other distractor. But if that doesn't work I'm just giving up. The surgeons and orthodontists are all bluepilled AF, saying "just get SARPE bro".

If I could go back in time I would have never wasted money on this in the first place. I would have bought a used BMW or something and just coped with that.

• So Sad
  • +1
Reactions: ChristianChad, BradAniston, AlwaysHaveQuestions and 9 others
I am sorry

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6111
Thats tuff

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6997
Which country chief

That sounds horrible. Im sending my best wishes for recovery

• Love it
  • +1
Reactions: RoundHouse and HeavenAdmιn
It was a learning experience mate

Fucking brutal mate, do you have to pay to get a revision?

Attachments

• 1604606668429.png
    1604606668429.png
    316.7 KB · Views: 23
Sorry to hear op. Hope you will ascend one day.
Are you going to try it a second time?

My front teeth are sticking out but the rest of my maxilla and cheekbones are very recessed, giving me deep nasolabial folds, and making me look like some kind of 45 year old beta male weasel, rat creature. I noticed in movies they always cast people who look like this as the weak villain who takes always advantage of people. i.e. https://lumiere-a.akamaihd.net/v1/images/image_313f2629.jpeg Talking to girls in their 20s is out of the question. They even avoid sitting next to me on public transport.

Anyway, I decided to look into MSE thinking that it would improve the way that I look. I thought the MSE would weaken the sutures of the maxilla, and then I could bring the upper portion of the maxilla out using facemask, and pull back the front teeth later orthodontically to make it more balanced and help me look younger.

So I had my surgically assisted MSE installed about a month ago. The surgeon made partial cuts in the maxilla along the buttress to weaken it, and also split my midpalatal suture with a chisel. Right after the surgery I got around a 1 mm diastema.

44 turns later my diastema hasn't gotten any wider and the MSE is warping / bending. The ortho and surgeon both told me I am their first patient who failed to expand even with surgical assist. The facemask isn't working at all either.

In fact I think the MSE made me look worse. After the surgery, my IPD and and right nostril's alar base both increased by maybe 1 mm. Now my nose looks more like a deformed version of an African nose and less like a Caucasian one.

The surgeon is recommending me to go with a different type of distractor that looks like this:
View attachment 785756

I'm going to try back turning and forward turning the MSE a bunch of times so see if that works. And then try the other distractor. But if that doesn't work I'm just giving up. The surgeons and orthodontists are all bluepilled AF, saying "just get SARPE bro".

If I could go back in time I would have never wasted money on this in the first place. I would have bought a used BMW or something and just coped with that.

how many turns a day did you do?

it’s because your skull is made out of alien bone material and it’s no match for titanium screws

• JFL
Reactions: hairyballscel
Gape 5 tcm25 454761

Nah dude, MSE is totally legit! Look how big my mouth is now haha!

How would you approach jaw widening? If you are so much against MARPE do you advocate for SARPE?
I'm saying modern orthotropics are almost always a meme unless you're only slightly recessed, especially for aesthetics. They're not intended to be used for cosmetics, they're for alleviating problems like severe malocclusion & TMJ. For example, you won't get much benefit from MSE unless your lower arch is already wider than your top arch. It may improve your looks *slightly* if you have an extremely narrow palate, but it's hardly a noticeable change & definitely isn't worth $20k for MSE + MSDO and braces or whatever you decide on. Some people can even benefit from AGGA but it's very case-dependent. Ronnie's headaches went away after AGGA (the original reason why he did it) but then he decided he wanted the world's biggest mouth so he started doing all that other shit.

Your provider may have told you "oh you'll look so much better" but that's one of the easiest ways to sell anything. They're not just doctors, they're salesmen too — and they want that new hot tub.

Last edited:

View attachment 785756

bro you said your ipd increased 1mm how about your zygos ? i am planning getting mse too so i have already wide ipd around 68-70 and 0.49 es ratio i don't wanna fuck my es tbh.

I'm saying modern orthotropics are almost always a meme unless you're only slightly recessed, especially for aesthetics. They're not intended to be used for cosmetics, they're for alleviating problems like severe malocclusion & TMJ. For example, you won't get much benefit from MSE unless your lower arch is already wider than your top arch. It may improve your looks *slightly* if you have an extremely narrow palate, but it's hardly a noticeable change & definitely isn't worth $20k for MSE + MSDO and braces or whatever you decide on. Some people can even benefit from AGGA but it's very case-dependent. Ronnie's headaches went away after AGGA (the original reason why he did it) but then he decided he wanted the world's biggest mouth so he started doing all that other shit.

Your provider may have told you "oh you'll look so much better" but that's one of the easiest ways to sell anything. They're not just doctors, they're salesmen too — and they want that new hot tub.
Ronnie said on the TV show he was featured on his headaches went away after he had some sort of a nerve surgery, not AGGA. By the way most surgeons before a bimax do a jaw widening, although it is usually SARPE. Most of us on this site who talk orthodontics, MSE or jaw surgery have some sort of a jaw recession. It's basically never for "purely aesthetic" reasons.

I know exactly which user this is I remember the long ass thread from ages ago.

• +1
Reactions: mewcoper
bro you said your ipd increased 1mm how about your zygos ? i am planning getting mse too so i have already wide ipd around 68-70 and 0.49 es ratio i don't wanna fuck my es tbh.
I haven't noticed any change in zygos. Like I said I only got a 1 mm diastema

• +1
Reactions: mewcoper
How its possible they cut everything and your bones still weren't able to expand?!
Maybe you have way to high bone density?

How its possible they cut everything and your bones still weren't able to expand?!
Maybe you have way to high bone density?
Surgeon told me my bone was very thick at the zygomaticomaxillary buttress. Doesn't make sense though since I have a very underdeveloped paranasal area