My take on jaw jutting & the correlation to recession.

RecessedMaxillacel

RecessedMaxillacel

Iron
Let me start off by saying this may not be as beautiful looking as most people long posts may be, Im not the best at doing that lol. So props to anyone who does. But I wanted to go over the correlation between jaw jutting & the recession of the midface/mandible. I’ve seen a couple posts about this & to me it’s definitely made a lot of sense, so I’ve spent a lot of my time looking into it & especially with myself really studying this. If you don’t know what I’m talking about basically it is said that if you are able to jut your jaw then your midface/mandible is recessed. So let me get into this a little bit. Basically anyone can jut their jaw correct, it’s natural, the mandible it a joint bone, it naturally can be me moved in different directions, including slightly forward & backwards. But my take is that if you’re able to jut your jaw forwards to an extreme amount then your midface/mandible is without a doubt recessed. Let me so you some examples here with my face. (This is why I am so positive this correlation is correct.)
So we have two pictures with the midface blacked out to emphasize more on the mandible right now. The first one is my natural bite & the second is with my jaw jutted. Which one looks better mandible-wise?
7C439563 DC92 4DDF 9135 A4ABC9CF7644
E0F81248 D2BD 4621 9AB3 4B779580DBC6

I’d assume you said the latter correct? In my case I am able to jut my jaw a whole half an inch forwards. If you also notice, in the first picture the curve of the mandible is borderline nowhere to be seen, but in the second picture it is pretty damn visible. This is because in the first picture (my natural bite) my curve of the back of my mandible is back behind my ear, but I’m the second picture (jutting my jaw) the curve of my mandible is in front of my ear. Here’s the same two pictures again. But with a guideline to see clearly.
BFC8F8B4 472B 4228 A11C C677283AC05A
138505F3 C681 4159 9009 0C629921E833

Now if you know a little bit about most men with well developed faces, you’d know that the curve at the back of the mandible is basically almost ALWAYS in front of the ear in line with the back of the facial hair along the sideburns. Clearly my first picture (natural bite) is nowhere near that compared to the second where I jut my jaw. Here’s some pictures to show what I mean.
F64677D1 2278 4A33 AEC9 3C9649735265
4BFDFFE2 C14C 4E47 9835 14F2D4010730
F591633F 18D7 4538 81D3 5CE64E65C4E7

The reason I am so sure about this correlation is that my midface is undoubtedly recessed & it’s clear to see. Here’s a pic with regular bite & no blackout.
F572DF08 23F8 4106 B6C4 5FB3E783EE67

& although I have a perfect bite the fact I am able to jut my jaw forwards an entire half inch proves that my midface is recessed by close to a half inch & my mandible with that. There’s a lot more that I could add to this but as I’m typing this I’m currently forgetting everything I wanted to say so I’ll leave it at this & edit it with more if more comes to mind.

If you made it to this point I appreciate you takin the time to read what I wanted to say. I wanna know what your guys opinions are on this or if there is anything you may wanna add on to this. I’d be glad to know what y’all think about this.

• +1
Reactions: .👽., ChristianChad, Kmscurry and 4 others
9F1EA509 672B 40AB B393 F2D0A247562F

how do u handle the mog?

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 14543, Deleted member 2729, Deleted member 8019 and 1 other person
ngl, you look better without jutting

• +1
Reactions: SOS-Sonic and RecessedMaxillacel
How’s the MSE?

• JFL
Reactions: RecessedMaxillacel
ngl, you look better without jutting
Makes sense, I obviously can’t compare how I look now to how I look with a lefort 3 to fix the recession currently lol but I think it’d make a drastic difference increase in looks if it was the latter. Does make sense thinkin i look fine now but at the same time it’s kinda hard to compare without actually having a full face pic with no recession if that makes any sense. My main take on this tho was to really jus show the correlation betting jutting & the amount of recession.

greycels really write whole essays to talk about themselves

• JFL
Reactions: horizontallytall, Deleted member 2729 and RecessedMaxillacel
greycels really write whole essays to talk about themselves
Greycels really talk about other greycels as if they aren’t the same greycel themself

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: horizontallytall, Deleted member 14543, Deleted member 2729 and 9 others
TL;DR if your jaw "curve" is behind your ear then you are recessed?

• +1
Bones are cope

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: antiantifa and RecessedMaxillacel
is it lifefuel if my jaw is slightly past my ears

• JFL
TL;DR if your jaw "curve" is behind your ear then you are recessed?
Lmao I wrote it all quick af I couldn’t think of the fuckin terms for that shit jfl

• +1
Reactions: RecessedMaxillacel and SubhumanCurrycel
Lmao I wrote it all quick af I couldn’t think of the fuckin terms for that shit jfl
I have no idea either lmao, I just wanted to make sure I used the same terminology so you understood

• JFL
I have no idea either lmao, I just wanted to make sure I used the same terminology so you understood
It was a very exquisite TL;DR I might have to copy/paste that beautiful segment into it.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 10709
A genioplasty will suffice but you can look uncany tbh, lefort 3 is the answer as always

• +1
I find it hard to imagine that your mandible is really behind your ears, can you press your finger on your ramus when you bite down so it's more defined? Or like pull your skin of your mandible behind your ear so its easier to see

• +1
A genioplasty will suffice but you can look uncany tbh, lefort 3 is the answer as always
Always appreciate a good surgery suggestion. If only it wasn’t so fuckin brutally hard to get a lefort 3 jfl

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 5634
I find it hard to imagine that your mandible is really behind your ears, can you press your finger on your ramus when you bite down so it's more defined? Or like pull your skin of your mandible behind your ear so its easier to see
I’ll post a vid of it moving one sec

It was a very exquisite TL;DR I might have to copy/paste that beautiful segment into it.
I just checked mine and think I'm good so hopefully there's logic to this.

• +1
F449B46C 6D18 4149 BD87 0695DCF32115

@16tyo

• Woah
Reactions: Deleted member 7076
Which one looks better mandible-wise?
Well the first one, because you are jutting your mandible in accordance to the direction of your downward growth rather than the frankfurt plane. The ramii of those models are more forward than their ears not because the projection of their mandibles follow a similar direction to your jutted mandible, but because their jaws are in a better angle in relation to their neurocranium, by virtue of each being rotated towards the other. Superimposed on your face, the difference would look something like this:

35h3h3

In a sense, we are talking about unwinding of the craniial base, which is achieved not by jutting the jaw, but by tapping into the postural function of the temporalii, the main influencer of the sphenoid bone:
Fossatemporalis

Screenshot 46

4g23tg23g2

56i5i5 2

• +1
  • Woah
  • Love it
Reactions: AscendingHero, Mongrelcel, SOS-Sonic and 1 other person
Well the first one, because you are jutting your mandible in accordance to the direction of your downward growth rather than the frankfurt plane. The ramii of those models are more forward than their ears not because the projection of their mandibles follow a similar direction to your jutted mandible, but because their jaws are in a better angle in relation to their neurocranium, by virtue of each being rotated towards the other. Superimposed on your face, the difference would look something like this:

View attachment 869158

In a sense, we are talking about unwinding of the craniial base, which is achieved not by jutting the jaw, but by tapping into the postural function of the temporalii, the main influencer of the sphenoid bone:
View attachment 869164
View attachment 869167
View attachment 869161
View attachment 869166
Absolutely amazing feedback man, extremely detailed. Very much appreciated! Glad you could add a lot of good info into this related to the topic.

holy fuck this is actually high IQ, it would make sense that the maxilla is where the mandible is and your mandible is set back
my condolences, but this could be best of the best worthy if you format the post better or I could try write it for you

• +1
Absolutely amazing feedback man, extremely detailed. Very much appreciated! Glad you could add a lot of good info into this related to the topic.

Edit: That makes a fuck ton of sense too, you’re spot on w that. The morph definitely shows it extremely well

View attachment 869158

View attachment 869164
View attachment 869167
View attachment 869161
View attachment 869166
can you explain to me as a 5 year old what it means if your ramus is infront of ears vs not infront? Some days I feel recessed tbh

holy fuck this is actually high IQ, it would make sense that the maxilla is where the mandible is and your mandible is set back
my condolences, but this could be best of the best worthy if you format the post better or I could try write it for you
Yeah I’ll have to we-write it & format it better whenever I get on my computer but feel free if you think you have a better idea on a good way to we write it definitely go for it & PM it to me & I’ll fosure use it!

• Love it
Reactions: Deleted member 7076
Cheers.

can you explain to me as a 5 year old what it means if your ramus is infront of ears vs not infront? Some days I feel recessed tbh
It could mean maxillary positioning that is excessively downward and forward. Hard to say a without seeing a pic.

nice forward head posture

View attachment 869158

View attachment 869164
View attachment 869167
View attachment 869161
View attachment 869166
Very informative post! Judging from the third figure, I'm guessing there is a correlation between the temporalis muscles and maxillary rotation?

@RealSurgerymax thoughts on this? My ramus is literally behind my earlobes and always wondered why. I have the same midface and side profile as OP. Is it the recessed maxilla causing the mandible to rest in a more retrognathic position to compensate for the bite or something else?

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: ChristianChad
Very interesting

@RealSurgerymax thoughts on this? My ramus is literally behind my earlobes and always wondered why. I have the same midface and side profile as OP. Is it the recessed maxilla causing the mandible to rest in a more retrognathic position to compensate for the bite or something else?
I wonder if lefort would fix this and the lower jaw would move to a better position over time. Are there any studies on post surgery facial bone movement?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 7725
@one job away thoughts? heißt ja nicht dass das midface immer recessed ist oder? bei ihm schon weil sein bite korrekt ist, aber wir haben ja zb nen kurzen kiefer bzw einen Überbiss.

@one job away thoughts? heißt ja nicht dass das midface immer recessed ist oder? bei ihm schon weil sein bite korrekt ist, aber wir haben ja zb nen kurzen kiefer bzw einen Überbiss.
hab gerade n ganzen Paragraphen getippt nur um zu sagen keine Ahnung. Also kann sein kann nicht sein. Müsste man n Arzt fragen. Das mit dem gonion hinter dem Ohr kann natürlich durch die Einschränkung des Unterkiefers kommen.

in manchen Fällen kriegen die Patienten ne geile jawline weil das dann nach vorn rutscht und sichtbar wird. Muss aber nicht sein aber kann sein. Im Endeffekt muss man bei sich selber sehen was man braucht. Ändert sich ja nix dran ob ich n recessed midface hab oder nicht. Und auch nicht welche op ich brauche /bekomme

also was ich meine ist. Was bringt mir der thread hier ? Wissen über Gründe haben Ärzte. Und wie man ein recessed midface fixed wissen wir

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 2729 and .👽.
Wenn dich interessiert ob das midface immer betroffen ist ich hab bald planning. Ne gute und interessante Frage. Das mit den gonions hat mich auch gewundert. Aber hier so zu raten ist bissl random. Da frag ich lieber wen der es weis

• +1
Reactions: .👽.
Wenn dich interessiert ob das midface immer betroffen ist ich hab bald planning. Ne gute und interessante Frage. Das mit den gonions hat mich auch gewundert. Aber hier so zu raten ist bissl random. Da frag ich lieber wen der es weis
true. mit dr z?