Should I stop orthodontic treatment even though I am about 85% done?

L

lilhorizontal32

Equinox
Title

Had 4 pre-molars extracted and braces put on about 3 years now, and have gotten to the stage where ortho is closing gaps. confirmed that it is camouflage treatment
Have had rubber elastic bands for about 1.5-2 years

Looking at my x-rays I am pretty sure my maxilla has come back a little, although I asked ortho about this and she said the only changes that happened were to the bones around the roots or something, probably lying tho tbh. airways have also narrowed a lot from looking at lat-ceph

My face has also sunk back a little (might be confirmation bias tho), and my lips have defs gotten a lot thinner from the side profile. But according to my ortho most of the facial changes that were going to occur have already happened, which is probably true, and reckons I have 6 months of treatment left

I'm also heavily considering getting MSE + bimax, and I know MSE requires your teeth not having any appliances for a few months, and I'm guessing I will need orthodontics after Bimax anyway, at which point I might just get invisalign

I wanna get 4 implants as I have heard that not having all 32 teeth causes problems later in life, but considering that I extracted my teeth almost 3 years ago, has most of the damage already been done? Or is there still a point to getting implants? If I did get them I'd have to get MSE/DOME first because I have a high-arch narrow palate and can't nose breathe well

thats why I am thinking of just stopping my treatment altogether. interested to hear what you guys think, and if this is a low iq move

• So Sad
  • +1
Reactions: thecel, PURE ARYAN GENETICS, Lmao and 3 others
It baffles me that extractions are still being done in this time. I have no doubt that they have caused damage to you, but what's gone is gone. I suggest you consult with a reputable surgeon asap and see what he has to say, don't rely on this forum to give you proper advice. If I had to give a personal opinion I'd say don't be afraid of any procedure, but just know your plan with the implants isn't that easy. I had the same convo with my ortho and implants are only lasting for about 25 years since they are screwed in and put unnatural pressure on the jaw, which can also lead to bone loss. Definitely start with the MSE if you have a narrow palate and get that IMW expanded to an average level.

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: thecel, diggbicc, PURE ARYAN GENETICS and 5 others
Had 4 pre-molars extracted

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: Fgsfds, diggbicc, aspieSavage and 5 others
fucking jews man, cruel world

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: wisely. and lutte
Do u still have ur wisdom teeth?

It baffles me that extractions are still being done in this time. I have no doubt that they have caused damage to you, but what's gone is gone. I suggest you consult with a reputable surgeon asap and see what he has to say, don't rely on this forum to give you proper advice. If I had to give a personal opinion I'd say don't be afraid of any procedure, but just know your plan with the implants isn't that easy. I had the same convo with my ortho and implants are only lasting for about 25 years since they are screwed in and put unnatural pressure on the jaw, which can also lead to bone loss. Definitely start with the MSE if you have a narrow palate and get that IMW expanded to an average level.
thanks for the input man

gonna try and consult with a few good surgeons soon. would it be weird only having 28 teeth though (assuming I don't get implants) with an above average IMW? I'm at 38mm right now so dont know how much more I can get

I do yeah
Ur plan sounds extremely good. I am also getting 3 dental implants. 1 second molar and third molar in the near future. They function just as regular teeth. Just get invisalign later. I have finished my invisalign treatment in order to get those implants.

• Love it
Reactions: lilhorizontal32 and lutte
thanks for the input man

gonna try and consult with a few good surgeons soon. would it be weird only having 28 teeth though (assuming I don't get implants) with an above average IMW? I'm at 38mm right now so dont know how much more I can get
32 Teeth is essential. Whether it is natural or implant. We need 32 teeth in order to look our best.

• +1
Reactions: lilhorizontal32
thanks for the input man

I'm pretty sure 38mm is below average, I don't know what the exact average is, but I think my ortho once mentioned 44 is "ideal".

• +1
I'm pretty sure 38mm is below average, I don't know what the exact average is, but I think my ortho once mentioned 44 is "ideal".
How many teeths show when u smile?

8 but my IMW is shit too, I'm kinda in the same predicament as the OP. Had two premolars extracted from the upper jaw too.

8 but my IMW is shit too, I'm kinda in the same predicament as the OP. Had two premolars extracted from the upper jaw too.
Why wouldnt u get dental implant? A good quality implants should last a lifetime. And even if ur theory is right. Its better to have something in there than not having anything as that will definately lead to bone loss.

• +1
Why wouldnt u get dental implant? A good quality implants should last a lifetime. And even if ur theory is right. Its better to have something in there than not having anything as that will definately lead to bone loss.

Yea I've been thinking about it for a while, my ortho doesn't like the idea too much though. Thing is we're preparing myself for a Bimax right now, if we now put in an MSE and two implants the whole procedure will take even longer, but I'll try to bring it up again.

Yea I've been thinking about it for a while, my ortho doesn't like the idea too much though. Thing is we're preparing myself for a Bimax right now, if we now put in an MSE and two implants the whole procedure will take even longer, but I'll try to bring it up again.
Do Bimax first. But get the implants as soon as ur other treatment is done. Im forking out 9k for 3 dental implants.

• Woah
Reactions: aspieSavage
Do Bimax first. But get the implants as soon as ur other treatment is done. Im forking out 9k for 3 dental implants.

I can't get an MSE after a Bimax though

I can't get an MSE after a Bimax though
Then i would do bimax at last. 32 teeth is essential. And does bimax require extractions?

Then i would do bimax at last. 32 teeth is essential. And does bimax require extractions?

I'm doing Bimax 100% sure, but that won't increase my dental arch or anything of that sort, just gonna move it forward. 😅 That's why I gotta get all that other stuff done before, which won't be easy. I haven't heard of a Bimax requiring extractions, but I have no doubt there is some idiotic surgeon out there who does them before the surgery. :lul:

so you had extractions for an overbite, and then you've had mse later, right?
I'm doing Bimax 100% sure, but that won't increase my dental arch or anything of that sort, just gonna move it forward. 😅 That's why I gotta get all that other stuff done before, which won't be easy. I haven't heard of a Bimax requiring extractions, but I have no doubt there is some idiotic surgeon out there who does them before the surgery. :lul:
the extractions would be to decompensate and allow formore bsso movement

so you had extractions for an overbite, and then you've had mse later, right?

the extractions would be to decompensate and allow formore bsso movement

Nah my extractions were done when I was like 10, no idea why. I didn't have MSE yet but I'd like to have it.

Ur plan sounds extremely good. I am also getting 3 dental implants. 1 second molar and third molar in the near future. They function just as regular teeth. Just get invisalign later. I have finished my invisalign treatment in order to get those implants.
thank you bro. been putting a lot of effort into doing the research and making the plan

32 Teeth is essential. Whether it is natural or implant. We need 32 teeth in order to look our best.
got you man

6. but 8 if I really concentrated lol

also theres braces blocking me from viewing the last 2 so probs 8 once I get them off

also what are your thoughts on getting dental implants after doing MSE + Bimax? theyre espensive and tbh I dont mind having a few gaps in my teeth for a few more years

unless you reckon that would give me a pirate failo haha

and I dont think I made my plan all too clear, but its essentially

1. stop braces completely, and get everything taken off
2. wait a few months til mouth area reaches homeostasis (required for MSE)
3. get MSE/DOME (probably DOME cos already have low es ratio)
4. facemask? idk I have overjet so maybe not
5. get IMDO
6. bimax + genio like a year after DOME is done (gotta save up $$$)
7. get 4 dental implants for pre-molars
8. invisalign to fix my bite

the alternative is

1. finish off braces, will take 6 months or so
2. get IMDO
3. get SARPE + bimax + genio in a year or so
4. get 4 dental implants for pre-molars
5. invisalign to fix my bite

ngl the 2nd route is very appealing because only MSE provider within reach is still quite far, and MSE is somewhat expensive.

also does one have to be a local for MSE? if not how often would I have to fly back and forth? would cost me a lot of $$$ and idk if I could afford that

so do you reckon the benefits I would get from MSE would make going to all of the extra lengths worth it?
as opposed to just getting SARPE done at the same time as my Bimax?

I have a high arched palate with a small narrow nasal floor, and apparently SARPE doesnt get bone borne expansion so yeah

Title

Had 4 pre-molars extracted and braces put on about 3 years now, and have gotten to the stage where ortho is closing gaps. confirmed that it is camouflage treatment
Have had rubber elastic bands for about 1.5-2 years

Looking at my x-rays I am pretty sure my maxilla has come back a little, although I asked ortho about this and she said the only changes that happened were to the bones around the roots or something, probably lying tho tbh. airways have also narrowed a lot from looking at lat-ceph

My face has also sunk back a little (might be confirmation bias tho), and my lips have defs gotten a lot thinner from the side profile. But according to my ortho most of the facial changes that were going to occur have already happened, which is probably true, and reckons I have 6 months of treatment left

I'm also heavily considering getting MSE + bimax, and I know MSE requires your teeth not having any appliances for a few months, and I'm guessing I will need orthodontics after Bimax anyway, at which point I might just get invisalign

I wanna get 4 implants as I have heard that not having all 32 teeth causes problems later in life, but considering that I extracted my teeth almost 3 years ago, has most of the damage already been done? Or is there still a point to getting implants? If I did get them I'd have to get MSE/DOME first because I have a high-arch narrow palate and can't nose breathe well

thats why I am thinking of just stopping my treatment altogether. interested to hear what you guys think, and if this is a low iq move
Hmm in a bit of a predicament you are

• JFL
Reactions: lutte
Nah my extractions were done when I was like 10, no idea why. I didn't have MSE yet but I'd like to have it.
sounds wierd hows your occlusion

sounds wierd hows your occlusion

Decent, teeth meet somewhat fine, but something feels off. Then again I wouldn't expect it to feel right when two teeth are missing. :feelsree:

That is wrong

kill all orthos

• +1
Reactions: spark
bro i have 32 and my gonial is still high FUCK, maybe are my bigs ears

• +1
Reactions: thecel