Skincare Guide

Firstly, are they blackheads or just sebaceous filaments? If they're just sebaceous filaments, they'll fill right back in within a couple of days.
As far as the machines go, the at home versions in my experience aren't very effective (but please don't use pore strips, those are awful for your skin).
A BHA will likely help you.
No, SPF 25 is not enough for you in the summer. I don't care if you're a Fitzpatrick VI- your skin is still damaged by UV.

They seem to be sebaceous filaments (since they're white), but they get back within a couple of days after using this machine. So you confirm me that adopting this routine (with The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution twice a week) can adress this issue ?

Okay so I'll keep SPF 25 for every season except summer. Which SPF do you recommend me for summer (I'm Fitzpatrick V) ?

They seem to be sebaceous filaments (since they're white), but they get back within a couple of days after using this machine. So you confirm me that adopting this routine (with The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution twice a week) can adress this issue ?

Okay so I'll keep SPF 25 for every season except summer. Which SPF do you recommend me for summer (I'm Fitzpatrick V) ?
I'd go more for a daily BHA since the sebaceous filaments are the issue for you. With the TO Peeling Solution, it's the high concentration of AHA that means it's not suitable for every day use, you could use a 2% BHA daily. It should definitely help- I can't say that it will fix it completely though since you're always going to be producing sebum.
It depends where in the world you are as to what SPF is going to be enough for you. And do you mean what level of SPF do I recommend or which specific product?

I'd go more for a daily BHA since the sebaceous filaments are the issue for you. With the TO Peeling Solution, it's the high concentration of AHA that means it's not suitable for every day use, you could use a 2% BHA daily. It should definitely help- I can't say that it will fix it completely though since you're always going to be producing sebum.
It depends where in the world you are as to what SPF is going to be enough for you. And do you mean what level of SPF do I recommend or which specific product?

Okay. I'm French, I live in Paris currently. I mean the level of SPF ! And btw, which extras should I keep in the fridge ?

Okay. I'm French, I live in Paris currently. I mean the level of SPF ! And btw, which extras should I keep in the fridge ?
I'd say SPF 30 minimum in the summer.
You don't need to keep any of those in the fridge. I mean, you can if you want to, but there are very few products on the market that you should need to keep in the fridge.

• +1
Reactions: Griffith
I'd say SPF 30 minimum in the summer.
You don't need to keep any of those in the fridge. I mean, you can if you want to, but there are very few products on the market that you should need to keep in the fridge.

Okay. Thanks for taking time to answer my questions benignice !

Okay. Thanks for taking time to answer my questions benignice !
No problem! Feel free to DM me if you have any more questions!

Anyone here using self-tanning products? My skin is extremely white and pale and i have a history record of skin caner in my family, so i guess solarium is not an option for me. I´d like to have just a very light tanning effect.

Anyone here using self-tanning products? My skin is extremely white and pale and i have a history record of skin caner in my family, so i guess solarium is not an option for me. I´d like to have just a very light tanning effect.
Self tanning can go very wrong if you get the wrong product.

I've not tried it personally, but for the face I've heard good things about the Tan-Luxe Super Glow which is basically just a hyaluronic serum with added DHA.

Any particular reason why you should cleanse & is there any scientific evidence that it is actually good for you? Sounds like a meme that could be quite harmful to your skin in the long run.

Personally I just use some sensitive skin shower gel to wash the products off my skin at the end of the day. It seems to do the trick.

Any particular reason why you should cleanse & is there any scientific evidence that it is actually good for you? Sounds like a meme that could be quite harmful to your skin in the long run.

Personally I just use some sensitive skin shower gel to wash the products off my skin at the end of the day. It seems to do the trick.
...are you asking if it's necessary to clean your skin?

And I can almost guarantee that you're doing more damage by using a shower gel. If you use the correct products and technique, then you're not going to be doing long term damage by cleansing.

• +1
Reactions: BeestungLipsTheory, UsernameRequired and Joodz
...are you asking if it's necessary to clean your skin?

And I can almost guarantee that you're doing more damage by using a shower gel. If you use the correct products and technique, then you're not going to be doing long term damage by cleansing.
Wow those were some nice research papers you just posted you fucking moron.

• Hmm...
  • WTF
  • +1
Reactions: LostYouth, yang, Schönling and 2 others
Oh for fucks sake. You do know that when writing a paper, you don't need to citations for established facts, don't you?

However:

Cleansers and their role in various dermatological disorders. Mukhopadhyay, P. (2011)
Cleansing without compromise: the impact of cleansers on the skin barrier and the technology of mild cleansing. Ananthapadmanabhan, K.P. et al (2004)
The use of cleansers as therapeutic concomitants in various dermatoligic disorders. Bikowski, J. (2001)
Role of mild cleansing in the management of patient skin. Subramanyan, K. (2004)
Maintenance of healthy skin: cleansing, moisturization and ultraviolet protection. Nash, J. F. (2007)
Modern Skin Cleansers. Ertel, K. (2000)
Personal cleanser technology and clinical performance. Abbas, S. et al (2004)

• +1
  • JFL
  • Love it
Reactions: yellowrice, Deepraj7, |Daddy_Zygos| and 8 others

Mate, he is helping us out for free and he knows his shit so try to be a bit more considerate...

• +1
Reactions: yellowrice, garoupilled_, AscendingHero and 13 others
No problem! Feel free to DM me if you have any more questions!

Unfortunately I can't send you DMs (I don't know why, I'm new on this forum). Do you mind telling me your Reddit username ?

Such a good guide.
For everyone, BHAs and AHAs are very effective and don’t need to be on the skin for long periods of time and a majority of people will not be able to handle everyday use.
Even once a week for a short amount of time depending on strength will be effective.

Such a good guide.
For everyone, BHAs and AHAs are very effective and don’t need to be on the skin for long periods of time and a majority of people will not be able to handle everyday use.
Even once a week for a short amount of time depending on strength will be effective.
I'm talking about products formulated specifically for daily use. A 2% BHA of ~5% (depending on the acid) will be tolerated well by most people.

How tf do you deal with those small holes left from squeezing acne? Heard about laser treatment and it seems not so bad at 0.5K but not sure??? Ty

How tf do you deal with those small holes left from squeezing acne? Heard about laser treatment and it seems not so bad at 0.5K but not sure??? Ty
It depends how small they are. Microneedling or fractional CO2 laser are the most likely options. Find a reputable esthetician with relevant experience and see what they recommend.

• +1
Reactions: ThatsWhatsUp
It depends how small they are. Microneedling or fractional CO2 laser are the most likely options. Find a reputable esthetician with relevant experience and see what they recommend.
thank you.i suppose microneedling is self done so id rather go for laser with spec.rep for helpful answer as i was feeling lost

What do you know about co2 lasers? I did a patch test yesterday and have an appt set in 3 weeks to do a full cheek treatment. It's regarding acne scarring/skin rejuvenation. I got skin type 4 i've been told by the practicioner. I did the patch test to see if i'll get post inflam hyperpig.

What do you know about co2 lasers? I did a patch test yesterday and have an appt set in 3 weeks to do a full cheek treatment. It's regarding acne scarring/skin rejuvenation. I got skin type 4 i've been told by the practicioner. I did the patch test to see if i'll get post inflam hyperpig.
Fractional CO2 lasers can be amazing for acne scarring. As long as you've got a reputable and experienced practitioner, I'd say that you were likely on to a winner.

• +1
Reactions: 6ft8InTheNetherlands

This guide is focusing on products and general concepts since that's my wheelhouse. There's a ton of other people that can help you out with supplements etc if that's what you want to know.
It's as a google doc so I can add more info as and when. If there's anything specific that you want to be in there, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Really good thread man, could you check DMs?

This guide is focusing on products and general concepts since that's my wheelhouse. There's a ton of other people that can help you out with supplements etc if that's what you want to know.
It's as a google doc so I can add more info as and when. If there's anything specific that you want to be in there, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Awesome guide, mate. Really appreciate it.

Are you just covering the basic/intermediate stuff? Would be great if you could branch into more advanced routines like needling/coq10/peptides.

Are you just covering the basic/intermediate stuff? Would be great if you could branch into more advanced routines like needling/coq10/peptides.
I could add some more stuff in there- at least to start with I wanted to mostly focus on the ingredients that were most talked about on here but if it would be helpful I could put extra info in.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 4416 and justincarp
I could add some more stuff in there- at least to start with I wanted to mostly focus on the ingredients that were most talked about on here but if it would be helpful I could put extra info in.

Agreed. A lot of people spend stupid amounts of money on overpriced products and waste them by applying them in the wrong order. Your cleansing routine alone should be printed out and stuck to everyone's bathroom mirror.

Are you experimenting with needling and various peptides? Would be great to read about the more advanced procedures available - especially needling, as I'm sure a lot of plebs (myself included, currently researching this stuff) could benefit.

Agreed. A lot of people spend stupid amounts of money on overpriced products and waste them by applying them in the wrong order. Your cleansing routine alone should be printed out and stuck to everyone's bathroom mirror.

Are you experimenting with needling and various peptides? Would be great to read about the more advanced procedures available - especially needling, as I'm sure a lot of plebs (myself included, currently researching this stuff) could benefit.
Thanks bro- I appreciate it.

I do microneedle but since that's not my area of expertise I tend to be very cautious with any advice I give on it. As for peptides, I do use some. And I'm always experimenting and trialing various formulas for work.

Really nice thread.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 656
please do 💖
thank you for the guide, saved it as pdf

What is your advice about the threatment of a mixed skintype where the forehead is able to withstand daily retin (0.1%) and is still oily and the other parts of the face is able to handle retin 3 times a week and need alot of moisterising to keep up? I am only applying retin every other day currently.

- What is your opinion about neutrenga pink acne wash

- whats your opinion about Jensen ultra healing?

That are the products i Currently use with aloe vera and HADALABO Gokujyun Hyaluronic Perfect gel.They improved my skin alot. I still get some minor acne at my forehead and want to try some products on your list. Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
guys is collagen theory legit?

What is your advice about the threatment of a mixed skintype where the forehead is able to withstand daily retin (0.1%) and is still oily and the other parts of the face is able to handle retin 3 times a week and need alot of moisterising to keep up? I am only applying retin every other day currently.

- What is your opinion about neutrenga pink acne wash

- whats your opinion about Jensen ultra healing?

That are the products i Currently use with aloe vera and HADALABO Gokujyun Hyaluronic Perfect gel.They improved my skin alot. I still get some minor acne at my forehead and want to try some products on your list. Keep up the good work!
The Neutrogena Pink Grapefruit wash is likely what is contributing to some of the oiliness and some of the dryness that you're experiencing- it's a very harsh cleanser.
Do you mean the Jergens Ultra Healing? If so, it might be a bit too much and too heavy on oily skin.

If you can only do Retin A three times a week, then just do it three times a week- don't put your skin through more than it can handle.

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero, DidntRead and Chadelite
The Neutrogena Pink Grapefruit wash is likely what is contributing to some of the oiliness and some of the dryness that you're experiencing- it's a very harsh cleanser.
Do you mean the Jergens Ultra Healing? If so, it might be a bit too much and too heavy on oily skin.

If you can only do Retin A three times a week, then just do it three times a week- don't put your skin through more than it can handle.
Derminator 2?

It is super legit right?
Microneedling is legit. Don't know about that device specifically so can't really comment. I don't know any personally in the industry that uses it.

• +1
Reactions: Chadelite
Hello and thank you for this guide. This is pure gold.
What’s your opinion on 1% salicylic acid alcohol solution (70%) for moderately oily parts of skin?

Hello and thank you for this guide. This is pure gold.
What’s your opinion on 1% salicylic acid alcohol solution (70%) for moderately oily parts of skin?
No problem, glad it could help.
I wouldn't be a fan, honestly. I'm not someone who loathes ethyl alcohol in skincare as a blanket statement since it can be massively useful for getting actives into the skin however that's not a situation where you'd really need such a high alcohol content.

• +1
Reactions: Rope'n'Roll
No problem, glad it could help.
I wouldn't be a fan, honestly. I'm not someone who loathes ethyl alcohol in skincare as a blanket statement since it can be massively useful for getting actives into the skin however that's not a situation where you'd really need such a high alcohol content.
Thank you, just found it dirt cheap at my local pharmacy. Thought it might be useful for blackheads outbreak on my nose.

Thank you, just found it dirt cheap at my local pharmacy. Thought it might be useful for blackheads outbreak on my nose.
It likely would help with blackheads. But it would also likely dry the living shit out of your skin at the same time (which would then cause more oil production).

• +1
Reactions: Rope'n'Roll
I bought these.
Cleanse: Pixi + Caroline Hirons Double Cleanse
Moisturizer: CeraVe
SPF: La Roche Posay Anthelios Shaka Ultra-Light SPF 50+
Vitamin C: The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%
Cost me around €70 in total but should be worth it.

• +1
Reactions: Schönling, DidntRead and benignice
I bought these.
Cleanse: Pixi + Caroline Hirons Double Cleanse
Moisturizer: CeraVe
SPF: La Roche Posay Anthelios Shaka Ultra-Light SPF 50+
Vitamin C: The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%
Cost me around €70 in total but should be worth it.
Hope it works out for you bro, let me know if you have any issues.

• +1
Reactions: Alexanderr
What are your thoughts on using retin a and differin together?

What are your thoughts on using retin a and differin together?
Unnecessary. Unless you're using the differing on nights you're not using the Retin A to try to keep some form of retinoid on your skin

• +1
Reactions: jj43
Unnecessary. Unless you're using the differing on nights you're not using the Retin A to try to keep some form of retinoid on your skin

Okay thanks. Do each type of retinoid not attach to different receptor sites, and so combining them on alternative nights have cumulative benefit?

Okay thanks. Do each type of retinoid not attach to different receptor sites, and so combining them on alternative nights have cumulative benefit?
Yes and no. Tretinoin (Retin A) binds to all 3 retinoic acid receptors (alpha, beta and gamma) whereas adapalene (differin) selectively binds to beta and gamma only. So there would be no cumulative effect beyond using a retinoid more regularly.

• +1
Reactions: jj43
isnt sunblock full of xeno estrogens and terrible for men to use? @benignice

Short answer: No.

If you're truly that bothered though, use a mineral sunscreen.
thanks for that - are there any specific ones you recommend? there are a few different types of mineral ones too aren't there? from what i remember at least.

thanks for that - are there any specific ones you recommend? there are a few different types of mineral ones too aren't there? from what i remember at least.
All of my favourite sunscreens are "chemical" sunscreens (or at least a combingation).

The two ingredients in physical sunscreens are titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. Both will leave a white cast on the skin- some formulations are better than others and nanoparticles are going to be the least obvious.

All of my favourite sunscreens are "chemical" sunscreens (or at least a combingation).

The two ingredients in physical sunscreens are titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. Both will leave a white cast on the skin- some formulations are better than others and nanoparticles are going to be the least obvious.
thanks dude - what do you mean by "nanoparticles are going to be the least obvious"? meaning some will leave more residue than others? and how come you aren't worried about the xeno estrogens?