Suggested way to standardize midface ratio and FWHR and useful tool to measure them

LordNorwood

LordNorwood

This Too Shall Pass
Seen a couple threads on this and a few different ideas out there and I thought this would be helpful. In this thread I'm going to explain what I personally think the best way to take these ratios are with examples and point out an easy tool to take them with.

Midface Ratio
Take the IPD line, which is the distance between the pupils.
Divide that distance by the distance from the IPD line to the point where the upper lip begins.
Examples:
Gandymidface
Jonkmidface

In the above, Gandy is .977 and Jon K is like .944. Also this is a portrait of Gandy and not an actual image of him, it was just easier to use this because his head tilt is perfect. For Jon K, I rotated him slightly to be able to draw a straight line from pupil to pupil, if you want a good measurement you need to do this.

It seems like a very small minority like to go to the middle of the mouth, but almost no one adheres to that and I also think its an inferior measurement.

FWHR
This is defined as the widest part of your face divided by your facial height (really this is imo trying to approximate the height of your middle third). Typically the widest part of your face is going to be your bizygo, but in some it could be the bigonial.
People like to try and use a box for this, in my opinion that makes little sense, because unlike the midface ratio there is nothing directly linking the two lines to each other. The widest part of your face isn't necessarily going to be where your upper third ends or w/e. If you do use a box, like I do later in the guide, pay more attention to the lines of the box than the corners, if that makes sense.
Online guides describe this as "the widest part of your face divided by the length between the middle of the eyebrows and the upper lip". In the actual offered example measurements however, the uppermost point of the measurement swings all over the place. Sometimes its right below the eyebrows. Sometimes its in the middle of the eyebrows. Some even started at the top of the eyelids. There's no real consistency to it and that also trickles over to this site.
Here are imo three more or less equivalently good options for a true fixed point for the ratio:
  • the lowest point of the eyebrows
  • the nasion
  • the IPD line
In my opinion what these ratios are trying to compare, in some aspects but not exactly, is the length of your middle third to other aspects of your face, in one case the length of the IPD line, in another case the width of your (typically) bizygo. Obviously its not exactly the entire middle third, but I think it serves as an approximation.

Here's a picture of the facial thirds. The second third is close to what's used for FWHR.
In my opinion, its best and most consistent to use the nasion as the upper point for the measurement.

The nasion (/ˈneɪziɒn/) is the most anterior point of the frontonasal suture that joins the nasal part of the frontal bone and the nasal bones. It marks the midpoint at the intersection of the frontonasal suture with the internasal suture joining the nasal bones.[1] It is visible on the face as a distinctly depressed area directly between the eyes, just superior to the bridge of the nose. It is a cephalometric landmark that is just below the glabella.[2]
The nasion is described as between the eyes but is above the IPD line.

The reason why I like this is because its not soft tissue dependent and seems like a reasonable place for the middle third of your face to start. Its location is determined by a bony area, where a suture is, same as the bizygo is determined by a bony measurement. It gives a certain symmetry to the measurement and theoretically you could perform this measurement on a skull, minus the lips I guess.
If there's resistance to this and a desire to use eyebrows instead, I'm alright with that too. But I think care should be taken to use the lowest point of the eyebrows.
FWHR is best measured not as a box but with two distinct lines to clearly show the demarcations, not possible with the tool I use unfortunately. Here it is as a box though:
Barretfwhr

Notice I make sure to brush the lowest line of the eyebrows and also make sure the outer lines are brushing the outside edges of his face.

Tool I Use
The tool I use is called Pixel Zoomer, I'll drop a download link below.
It's braindead easy to take a measurement with this, you don't even have to save the image. You can just pop the tool up, take your measurements on a photo, and close the tool.

Some Tips for Measuring
If you're taking your own ratio, do your best to make sure the image isn't lens distorted. Put your phone camera at an arm's length away and take the picture with a completely neutral head tilt.
Don't tilt your head UP or DOWN and don't tilt it to the SIDE
Amount of people who wanted me to take a ratio with their head raised or lowered was insane.
If you're taking a ratio in general, here are a couple things to check:
Midface Ratio
  • make sure the IPD line is touching both pupils
  • make sure the midface line touches the very top of the upper lip
FWHR
  • make sure the horizontal line touches the outside edges of the face
  • make sure the vertical line touches the lowest point of the eyebrows and then the very top of the upper lip

No tags I'm too lazy to tag niggas but I will tag @curryslayerordeath because a discord convo with him inspired the thread.

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: thecel, Deleted member 8064, Songe and 25 others
Shi... Good thread

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401, LordNorwood and Deleted member 3043
Barret has 2.2+ if you measure below eyebrows, with this method 1.8 shouldn't be robust looking anymore

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401, PubertyMaxxer and LordNorwood
Barret has 2.2+ if you measure below eyebrows, with this method 1.8 shouldn't be robust looking anymore
Yeah agreed, what value means what will have to be re-standardized.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401
bump, good thread

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and LordNorwood
Pin this mods

• +1
All I know is if you look good you look good. End of discussion

• +1
Reactions: Darkstrand, Deleted member 6401, je3oe and 2 others
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401, je3oe and Kade
Last edited:
  • +1
This standardization makes the relationship between midface, fwhr, and the es ratios a lot more "natural". Also what's interesting is that you can find good looking people all around the spectrum of midface ratios but variation from the normal FWHR is a lot more noticeable (ie looks narrow/wide faced).

View attachment 347456

Sure bro ratios dont matter

Afaik, his facial ratios didn't change at all there. It looks more like his visible neurocranium height was reduced to show how it affects your perception of facial height.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401, forwardgrowth, Deleted member 2227 and 1 other person
What about chin to philtrum ratio?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401, PubertyMaxxer and LordNorwood
  • +1
Fwhr should be mid brow to below nose. Dont include philtrum. Long philtrum is masculine

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: hairyballscel, Deleted member 6401, Deleted member 1553 and 1 other person
good thread

reminder:

you dont want below .9 midface or over 1.1 ratio wise

and a good FWHR can compensate for a bad midface

just because your midface is "long" doesnt mean its over. People over dramatisize the importance of a compact midface -- that only matters for females.

• +1
Reactions: Kingkellz, goat2x, Deleted member 6401 and 3 others
good thread

reminder:

you dont want below .9 midface or over 1.1 ratio wise

and a good FWHR can compensate for a bad midface

just because your midface is "long" doesnt mean its over. People over dramatisize the importance of a compact midface -- that only matters for females.
Exactly

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and Deleted member 3962
What îs optimal FWHR?

• +1
What îs optimal FWHR?
Because of the fact that the measurement is not standardized, as noted in the OP, its difficult to say what "optimal" is with any degree of precision. What's best I think is to take measurements of men who's look you find appealing or w/e and see what the result is. Gandy for example is like 1.87 by this metric.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and Deleted member 2227
If you take the nasion line you don't factor in how high set the eyebrows are which is important tbh. A lot of morphs lower the eyebrows cos it looks high T

• +1
@LordNorwood
whats ideal?

Shit unpractical thread, kys OP

• JFL
Reactions: Kingkellz