Sunscreen recommendations

Wallenberg

Wallenberg

Kraken
Sunscreen is often touted as the most cost-efficient anti-aging tool. As an added bonus it also prevents skin cancer. Sunscreens are pretty cheap compared to some other looksmaxxing stuff, and applying sunscreen every day isn't a hassle. Sunscreen won't give you instant improvement, but it's good for the long run. Would you rather be a 30-year old having the skin of a 25-year-old or 30 years old having the skin of 40 years old?

Sunscreen is important if you use some skincare products that make you more susceptible to sun damage like retinol.

Unfortunately, there are differences between European, Asian, and American sunscreens. FDA won't allow some new filters to be used in the US. These same filters are used in Europe and Asia. They make sunscreens more powerful or more elegant on the skin. If you read about sunscreens you might see Americans asking where to find European or Asian versions of sunscreens and this is the reason why they ask. I won't debate about this, but many see FDA as being too paranoid about new sunscreen filters.

The relevant sun rays that we care about are UVA and UVB. UVA rays lead to premature aging of the skin, UVB rays burn the skin. A broad-spectrum sunscreen protects from both of these. A broad-spectrum sunscreen is what we want. SPF tells us how well a sunscreen protects from UVB. PPD tells us the same with regards to UVA.

What about tan?

Tanning ages your skin. Does this mean that you shouldn't tan? Not necessarily, but it's a tradeoff between younger skin in the long run vs better-looking skin now. Many people seem to think that David Gandy has aged a lot because of tanning. I have pale white skin and I plan to tan a little bit when the summer comes, however, I realize that it ages my skin compared to not tanning. Self-tanners are the best solution, but they cost, and you have to apply them well to get good results - but they won't age your skin. Betacarotenoids are one possible way to make skin look better without tanning. My beta carotenoids arrived today, let's see if they give me that healthy glow.

What about winter?

UVA rays that age your skin are present in the winter. It's best to wear sunscreen year-round.

Cloudy days?

Clouds won't stop UVA rays. It's better to wear sunscreen during cloudy days.

What if I stay inside the house all day?

UVA rays penetrate windows, so it's best to use sunscreen even if you stay inside your house all day.

I wear sunscreen every day. Applying it doesn't take a lot of time. It's cheap. I don't see a reason why not. You might think that you don't want to wear sunscreen every day, and it's perfectly fine if you think so, but it doesn't mean it wearing sunscreen every day is useless.

These are the sunscreens that I and many others like. This doesn't mean that you like them. Ultimately sunscreens are subjective. Which feels and looks good on my skin might not suit you. The objective things are how well they protect and price.

I focus on PPD ratings because it matters for aging. Often there is a trade-off between looking good on the skin and having great protection, however, some sunscreens do look fine and offer great protection.

Cerave AM. This combines moisturizer and SPF. Cheap. Because it combines moisturizer and SPF it takes one step out of my skincare routine, but applying a dedicated sunscreen is a pretty minor thing. If you are lazy and want to try moisturizer and sunscreen without the extra hassle you might want to try this, but I got the impression that it doesn't offer as good protection as dedicated sunscreens.

Biore Aqua Rich Watery Essence. PPD 16+ - we don't know the exact PPD, but it's over 16. Pretty cheap. Fine protection. Isn't water-resistant. Elegant on the skin like many Asian sunscreens tend to be.

La Roche Posay Shaka Fluid. Good protection. Is somewhat water and sweat-resistant. PPD 46 (higher the better). Nice on the skin. The big downside is that it's expensive.

Riemann P20 for Kids SPF50+. Excellent protection. UVAPF 56.6 - it's higher than LRP Shaka Fluid. Looks good on the skin. Is somewhat water and sweat-resistant. The best part of it is that it's cheaper than LRP! LRP Shaka Fluid costs 3-4 times as much as P20. You probably wonder why the name has "for kids": I don't know, and it doesn't matter. Excellent protection, looks good on the skin and it's cheap.

Information provided here is the general consensus of the skincare community. For many this information is water is wet type of information, however, some don't know these things. I won't debate about these things, don't expect me to post studies proving these claims.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: oxymoron, Need2Ascend, Deleted member 9641 and 8 others
@MakinItHappen we talked about anti-aging stuff.

@RichardSpencel you might know about these things.

• +1
Reactions: RichardSpencel
@MakinItHappen we talked about anti-aging stuff.

@RichardSpencel you might know about these things.
I just buy 1 with spf50+ tbh but im curious to get a good one so I'll watch this thread

• +1
Reactions: Wallenberg
  • +1
Avène just launched a new sunscreen without whitecast and only new filters and a fresh new one they just patent that covers all the spectrum.

It looks interesting,i'm gonna try It.So far i'm enjoying Uriage Bariesun Kids Lait

• +1
I just buy 1 with spf50+ tbh but im curious to get a good one so I'll watch this thread
If you are happy with your current sunscreen no reason to change.

Avène just launched a new sunscreen without whitecast and only new filters and a fresh new one they just patent that covers all the spectrum.

It looks interesting,i'm gonna try It.So far i'm enjoying Uriage Bariesun Kids Lait
Interesting. Riemann P20 also has new filters. SPF50+ is a good sign. Do you know about its PPD?

@eduardkoopman anti-aging is important for you too.

Interesting. Riemann P20 also has new filters. SPF50+ is a good sign. Do you know about its PPD?
Avène hasn't disclosed it, for some reason they never do even though disclosing PPD would greatly benefit them since they use new and high % of filters.

According to european regulation a sunscreen to be approved needs to offer an UVA protection of at least on third of the UVB one, spf 50+ equals to an spf of at least 60 so the PPD would be at least 20, but it's probably more than that since it has Tinosorb S, Uvinal A and their patented TriAsorB(all offer strong photostable UVA protaction)that also offers blue light protection

• +1
Avène hasn't disclosed it, for some reason they never do even though disclosing PPD would greatly benefit them since they use new and high % of filters.
Exactly. High PPD is a major selling point.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 12071
I got SPF 110+ sunscreen from the Chinese.

I trust them somehow. I know I'm wrong though.

• +1
I got SPF 110+ sunscreen from the Chinese.

I trust them somehow. I know I'm wrong though.
SPF 110 is very high. What's its PPD?

Only in sunny areas?

• +1
jfl nigga Im not gonna put on suscreen inside my room is not even directly exposed to the sun

• JFL
Reactions: AsGoodAsItGets and Wallenberg
jfl nigga Im not gonna put on suscreen inside my room is not even directly exposed to the sun
Am I right that you are not in employment, education, or training?

My beta carotenoids arrived today, let's see if they give me that healthy glow.
To add.
For me Asthanxanthin mogged beta-carotene. I use bith, but I feel Astanxanthin is plenty times miore powerfull. but also alot more expensive unfortunately than beta-carotene, like 10x or more expensive.
I focus on PPD ratings because it matters for aging. Often there is a trade-off between looking good on the skin and having great protection, however, some sunscreens do look fine and offer great protection

Cerave AM. This combines moisturizer and SPF. Cheap. Because it combines moisturizer and SPF it takes one step out of my skincare routine, but applying a dedicated sunscreen is a pretty minor thing. If you are lazy and want to try moisturizer and sunscreen without the extra hassle you might want to try this, but I got the impression that it doesn't offer as good protection as dedicated sunscreens.

Biore Aqua Rich Watery Essence. PPD 16+ - we don't know the exact PPD, but it's over 16. Pretty cheap. Fine protection. Isn't water-resistant. Elegant on the skin like many Asian sunscreens tend to be.

La Roche Posay Shaka Fluid. Good protection. Is somewhat water and sweat-resistant. PPD 46 (higher the better). Nice on the skin. The big downside is that it's expensive.

Riemann P20 for Kids SPF50+. Excellent protection. UVAPF 56.6 - it's higher than LRP Shaka Fluid. Looks good on the skin. Is somewhat water and sweat-resistant. The best part of it is that it's cheaper than LRP! LRP Shaka Fluid costs 3-4 times as much as P20. You probably wonder why the name has "for kids": I don't know, and it doesn't matter. Excellent protection, looks good on the skin and it's cheap.

Information provided here is the general consensus of the skincare community. For many this information is water is wet type of information, however, some don't know these things. I won't debate about these things, don't expect me to post studies proving these claims.
to add.
I like and use. Eucerin sun oil control gel-crème spf 50+ dry touch uva uvb,
I dunno about it's PPD rating.
The others I had before, made my skin shiny as hell. liike a billiard ball, shiny face. This one is way less in that shiny element

• +1
To add.
For me Asthanxanthin mogged beta-carotene. I use bith, but I feel Astanxanthin is plenty times miore powerfull. but also alot more expensive unfortunately than beta-carotene, like 10x or more expensive.

to add.
I like and use. Eucerin sun oil control gel-crème spf 50+ dry touch uva uvb,
I dunno about it's PPD rating.
The others I had before, made my skin shiny as hell. liike a billiard ball, shiny face. This one is way less in that shiny element
I even didn't get my betacarotene yet. It was other skincare stuff that arrived lmao. The betacarotene has been on the way for like a month, I have to contact the seller again.

Yep, some sunscreens make skin shiny. SPF50+ is good.

Yep, some sunscreens make skin shiny. SPF50+ is good.
Most do ime. Actually all, bit this last one I mentioned.
I tried like 5 others before I got fed up with bring shiny and went for a specificly one advertised as not shinny

Most do ime. Actually all, bit this last one I mentioned.
I tried like 5 others before I got fed up with bring shiny and went for a specificly one advertised as not shinny

I have a question. I am going to use sunscreen and day moisturizer, which contains SPF. Will it hinder the effects of one of these products, because I am worried that day cream with SPF will disturb sunscreen's work.

I have a question. I am going to use sunscreen and day moisturizer, which contains SPF. Will it hinder the effects of one of these products, because I am worried that day cream with SPF will disturb sunscreen's work.
products always interact.
But unavoidable.

i put on, sunscreen last, as protection barrier layer.

• +1
Reactions: HighIQcel
products always interact.
But unavoidable.

i put on, sunscreen last, as protection barrier layer.
It is understandable. But the thing which bothers me is SPF in day cream, sunscreen already has SPF, so it there any need to apply SPF again? Will sunscreen work regardless?

I am going to use night cream at night which is kinda heavy for day usage, and I wanted to find day cream without SPF, but seems like majority of day creams contain SPF.

It is understandable. But the thing which bothers me is SPF in day cream, sunscreen already has SPF, so it there any need to apply SPF again? Will sunscreen work regardless?

I am going to use night cream at night which is kinda heavy for day usage, and I wanted to find day cream without SPF, but seems like majority of day creams contain SPF.
daycreams with SPF suck. and work limited, Not good enough. I don't use dey creams with spf. It makes the day cream lower functioning imo.

• +1
Reactions: HighIQcel
daycreams with SPF suck. and work limited, Not good enough. I don't use dey creams with spf. It makes the day cream lower functioning imo.
Maybe you could recommend some day cream with no SPF?

Sunscreen is often touted as the most cost-efficient anti-aging tool. As an added bonus it also prevents skin cancer. Sunscreens are pretty cheap compared to some other looksmaxxing stuff, and applying sunscreen every day isn't a hassle. Sunscreen won't give you instant improvement, but it's good for the long run. Would you rather be a 30-year old having the skin of a 25-year-old or 30 years old having the skin of 40 years old?

Sunscreen is important if you use some skincare products that make you more susceptible to sun damage like retinol.

Unfortunately, there are differences between European, Asian, and American sunscreens. FDA won't allow some new filters to be used in the US. These same filters are used in Europe and Asia. They make sunscreens more powerful or more elegant on the skin. If you read about sunscreens you might see Americans asking where to find European or Asian versions of sunscreens and this is the reason why they ask. I won't debate about this, but many see FDA as being too paranoid about new sunscreen filters.

The relevant sun rays that we care about are UVA and UVB. UVA rays lead to premature aging of the skin, UVB rays burn the skin. A broad-spectrum sunscreen protects from both of these. A broad-spectrum sunscreen is what we want. SPF tells us how well a sunscreen protects from UVB. PPD tells us the same with regards to UVA.

What about tan?

Tanning ages your skin. Does this mean that you shouldn't tan? Not necessarily, but it's a tradeoff between younger skin in the long run vs better-looking skin now. Many people seem to think that David Gandy has aged a lot because of tanning. I have pale white skin and I plan to tan a little bit when the summer comes, however, I realize that it ages my skin compared to not tanning. Self-tanners are the best solution, but they cost, and you have to apply them well to get good results - but they won't age your skin. Betacarotenoids are one possible way to make skin look better without tanning. My beta carotenoids arrived today, let's see if they give me that healthy glow.

What about winter?

UVA rays that age your skin are present in the winter. It's best to wear sunscreen year-round.

Cloudy days?

Clouds won't stop UVA rays. It's better to wear sunscreen during cloudy days.

UVA rays penetrate windows, so it's best to use sunscreen even if you stay inside your house all day.

I wear sunscreen every day. Applying it doesn't take a lot of time. It's cheap. I don't see a reason why not. You might think that you don't want to wear sunscreen every day, and it's perfectly fine if you think so, but it doesn't mean it wearing sunscreen every day is useless.

These are the sunscreens that I and many others like. This doesn't mean that you like them. Ultimately sunscreens are subjective. Which feels and looks good on my skin might not suit you. The objective things are how well they protect and price.

I focus on PPD ratings because it matters for aging. Often there is a trade-off between looking good on the skin and having great protection, however, some sunscreens do look fine and offer great protection.

What does sun sensitivity from Retin a/benzoyl peroxide even do? Does it age you more

What does sun sensitivity from Retin a/benzoyl peroxide even do? Does it age you more
Yes I think so.

• +1
Reactions: PYT
cerave is pretty good. massage in well.
I use Cerave AM and PM too. AM has SPF, PM doesn't. I like PM more, I use it with sunscreens, but I have some AM left so I will use them first.

I use Cerave AM and PM too. AM has SPF, PM doesn't. I like PM more, I use it with sunscreens, but I have some AM left so I will use them first.
i use this one,
no spf.

• +1
I use neutrogena sheer spf 100 Amazon product ASIN B00MH2PT5A
Lasts absolutely forever.

Not greasy at all.

Gives a 'matte' look to your skin.

Strong stuff though so dont get in your eye

Really?I was using this strategy, so does it mean that all my effort putting on sunscreen when I leave the house is useless?
At least the sun's rays will be weaker right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back