Surgery First Bimax?

Tobias Fünke

Tobias Fünke

Proudly Stallonepilled
So I’m aware that if your bite is ideal for what the surgeon wants to achieve, he won’t make you get braces before bimax. That is true of every surgeon. My question is: what is the deal with proponents of surgery first? Take someone like Dr. Alfaro. Does he just work with an “imperfect” bite and get the same results as you would have gotten with braces pre-surgery? If so, does this mean that he is a more skilful surgeon than one who doesn’t (or can't??) do that or does it mean that he is (potentially) a more careless surgeon who gets midlines/bites misaligned with this method? And does he offer surgery first to everyone or would he still require braces first for most of his patients?

Personally, I have been for a consultation with a maxillofacial surgeon and he said that I would need to wear braces for a year before going for surgery so I’m hoping that someone like Dr. Alfaro or maybe Dr. Ramieri might say that it isn’t necessary.

Last edited:
So I’m aware that if your bite is ideal for what the surgeon wants to achieve, he won’t make you get braces before bimax. That is true of every surgeon. My question is: what is the deal with proponents of surgery first? Take someone like Dr. Alfaro. Does he just work with an “imperfect” bite and get the same results as you would have gotten with braces pre-surgery? If so, does this mean that he is a more skilful surgeon than one who doesn’t (or can't??) do that or does it mean that he is (potentially) a more careless surgeon who gets midlines/bites misaligned with this method? And does he offer surgery first to everyone or would he still require braces first for most of his patients?

Personally, I have been for a consultation with a maxillofacial surgeon and he said that I would need to wear braces for a year before going for surgery so I’m hoping that someone like Dr. Alfaro or maybe Dr. Ramieri might say that it isn’t necessary.
Same for me, I have perfect bite and still I have to wear braces, like wtf? I will waste years because of that shit.

• +1
Reactions: Tobias Fünke
Same for me, I have perfect bite and still I have to wear braces, like wtf? I will waste years because of that shit.
That must be frustrating - mine isn't perfect so at least there is some reason for it (although I'd still like to leave it until after surgery if possible). I'd be so annoyed if my bite was fine and I still had to waste time and money on pre surgery braces

I joined facebook group about prognathic surgeries and there are people who had to wear braces for 2-3 years before surgery, then they waited for surgery (there are surgeries which are free in my country but you have to wait like 2 years) and then 1-2 years of braces after surgery. Fucking 5 years just to look normal.

I joined facebook group about prognathic surgeries and there are people who had to wear braces for 2-3 years before surgery, then they waited for surgery (there are surgeries which are free in my country but you have to wait like 2 years) and then 1-2 years of braces after surgery. Fucking 5 years just to look normal.
That's rough. One year doesn't seem so bad after all!

Didn’t you have a medicine degree Tobias before you were banned from practice? You should know this stuff already

• +1
Reactions: Tobias Fünke
Didn’t you have a medicine degree Tobias before you were banned from practice? You should know this stuff already
well excuse me arrested development GIF by Cheezburger

I always do surgery first if the orthodontist accepts it. It not your surgeon you need to convince.

I always do surgery first if the orthodontist accepts it. It not your surgeon you need to convince.
How much Bitcoin for a trimax with alar cinch ?

How much Bitcoin for a trimax with alar cinch ?
Maybe 1? Actually I don’t know the financial and tax repercussions of charging in bitcoins

I’m wearing braces right now, around month 20 out of 30, teeth and bite have gotten better. My ortho says I don’t need surgery but I know I would benefit. I have a consultation with an oral and maxo facial surgeon soon to see what he says.