The key to stop skin aging

D

Diremeyer

Bronze
This is the sun for you. A trucker. Driving 28 years. The sad thing is, he drove with the windows closed. UVA goes thru windows. You can guess which side faced the sun?

trucker-damage-face_web.jpg

This is anecdotal, right? The sun doesn't do much damage, right? Well, the science backs it up. Most visible skin aging comes from UV.

Wrinkles, fine lines and pigmentation are inevitable skin woes that often appear as we age. While we like to place blame on getting another year older, the main culprit is photoaging — damage to the skin caused by exposure to sunlight and ultraviolet (UV) light. Responsible for 90 percent of visible changes to the skin, photoaging is a direct result of cumulative sun damage you’ve been exposed to throughout your life.—Skin Cancer Foundation

Photodamage, rather than the normal aging process, may account for 90 percent of age-associated cosmetic skin problems. Physicians should stress to their patients that all ultraviolet exposure (including sun beds and tanning salons) causes skin damage. Regular sunscreen use during childhood and adolescence may result in an 80 percent reduction in the lifetime incidence of ultraviolet-induced skin damage, including nonmelanoma skin cancers.—PubMed article

Clinical signs of aging are essentially influenced by extrinsic factors, especially sun exposure. Indeed UV exposure seems to be responsible for 80% of visible facial aging signs.—PubMed article

Okay, so the sun accounts for most of the visible skin aging. What to do?

UV film
You can't even see such film. It's a thin transparent layer on the windows. You can get it at Home Depot. The Australian Skin Cancer Foundation actually recommends all to get such film for their houses.

The windows don't turn dark. They look like this. Picture from Home Depot.

buydecorativefilm-window-film-s2mclst60100-4f_1000.jpg

Shades
When you're outside, and not with people, not trying to make an impression, put on shades. Doesn't matter which. Cheap ones, or Oakleys. Mirror or regular. I use photochromatic Oakleys. Wrap-around shades are the best, but they can easily get foggy! So get ones that are comfortable to wear. The skin around the eyes is thin, so it's extra important to protect it.

Sunscreen
If you're going about stuff alone, use cheap sunscreen. High factor. But if you're with people, use one like LRP Ultra Light, high factor. It's not tinted, and it evens out the skin, so I actually think I look better with some, than without anything on my face. Use sunscreen on hands and neck as well. If the sunscreen uses chemical filters, then put it on 20-30 minutes before getting sun exposure. The way the sunscreen works is through converting UVA and UVA to wavelengths that radiates heat, but when you're exposed to the sun, these chemicals get "used up", so you need to reapply, like every other hour out in the sun.

Clothes
When you're out and about, and not with friends, put on a cap. Different types of clothes have different UPF (equivalent to sunscreen's SPF). Look it up. UVA goes well thru white cotton, on the other side of the spectrum we have dark polyester. There's plenty of good athleisure clothes that are of polyester. It's cheaper to just look at fabric that is known to have a high UPF than to look for clothes branded with their UPF (they're usually overpriced). If you think you look good in a hoodie, wear a hoodie.

Elderly people usually have much more aged face and neck compared to the skin on the belly and behind, and this is mostly due to getting and not getting sun exposure. But you do get some thru clothes as well, and (I can look up the source if necessary), if when you get sun exposure on the body, the body "uses up" some of the available antioxidants, leaving less available for the face. The sun damages the skin thru redox reactions.

Diet
This has a small impact. But once the damage is being done, once you are getting sun exposure, you'd be somewhat better equipped to handle it if you eat a diet high in antioxidants, which is for the most part fruit and veg and such.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: animo123, zeshama, Highrise and 14 others
good thread tbh but i will keep tanning till my prime is over.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Copemaxxing, Chadelite, Deleted member 5912 and 4 others
it is what it is

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Toth's thot and Lev Peshkov
is that a woman or a man?

Also being pale white as a man is very unattractive and only acceptable for certain niche looks.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5891 and Lev Peshkov
Good thread except the fruit and veggie cope

Your face will still age tho, bone loss, fat loss, less collagen...

You should still wear sunscreen, to avoid or delay apparations of wrinkles, pigmentation, skin cancer, etc.

She has glowing youthful skin but still looks old

You will only be 20yo once :feelsrope:

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Highrise and Deleted member 4430
is that a woman or a man?

Also being pale white as a man is very unattractive and only acceptable for certain niche looks.
exactly

its a sign of low t

less pale is better as you have higher T

• +1
Reactions: Mouthbreath

You should still wear sunscreen, to avoid or delay apparations of wrinkles, pigmentation, skin cancer, etc.

I don't think she was serious about sunscreen. She would look better if she was. Not to mention, scientists didn't even realize the damage UVA does until fairly recently. But yes, we will still visibly age. Just much better.

Good thread except the fruit and veggie cope

Good thread? Appreciated, bro.

The fruit and veg cope isn't a cope. Diet has a small impact, I wrote, and it's backed up by science.

Sure, there are conflicting results, but it's safe to say it has a small impact on preventing photoaging. What has a big impact is prevention.

• +1
Reactions: wasted and Deleted member 6217
Diet
This has a small impact. But once the damage is being done, once you are getting sun exposure, you'd be somewhat better equipped to handle it if you eat a diet high in antioxidants, which is for the most part fruit and veg and such.

Stop eating “essential” fatty acids. All they’re essential for is (photo)aging, wrinkles and cancer

88E45362 8BD2 4599 89A0 CE94058B0E10

Good thread btw

• +1
Reactions: NoBonezForMoanz
you can also use self tanners good ones look even better then a sun tan
Exactly

this guy is good looking and he waste his time on this forum JFL

“I will just enjoy my prime” wtf this mindset

it’s like killing yourself after the age of 30 because you are not in your 20s anymore
😂

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6217
good thread tbh but i will keep tanning till my prime is over.

It's your choice, bro. Your choice.

Tanning is inextricably linked to photoaging, so it would be worth it to check if self tanning looks better. Latebloomer10 says it does. I haven't tried to before. But if you choose to tan, you should at least try carotene, either naturally or thru supplements. It gives a deeper color, and offer some natural protection against photoaging.

• +1
Reactions: Highrise and DutchPrettyBoy
U need sunlight, its essential for health, vit d and mental health. Either you are good looking or you are not, collagen wont change much (as long as you dont go into direct sun light everyday for hours). No need to by anti UV film like a autist.

Yeah, the face will still age.

But UV fucks up your ability to produce collagen

And UV gives you less subcutaneous fat.

I don't know to what extent we'll have loss of subcutaneous fat regardless of photoaging. But you might? There's bound to be some, probably a lot eventually, but how much I don't know. Looking at elderly people they usually have thinnest skin in the face and neck and atop the hands, and less thin in areas that's been clothed throughout life.

But bone loss, I can't see that has anything to do with UV, so sure: Father Times comes for us all, with his scythe. But if you can stall him some, then good.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Andros
It's your choice, bro. Your choice.

Tanning is inextricably linked to photoaging, so it would be worth it to check if self tanning looks better. Latebloomer10 says it does. I haven't tried to before. But if you choose to tan, you should at least try carotene, either naturally or thru supplements. It gives a deeper color, and offer some natural protection against photoaging.
nicee, yeah i eat a good amount of natural beta carotene. i should be fine anyways. i don't care about some wrinkles appearing when im 60.

I'm also not going to do a self tanner, doesn't sound like a good idea in my head.

Last edited:
What a shit mindset

use beta carotene it’s superior and better JFL
No, JFL @ you man, not everyone is the same. Me for instance only got a orangish/yellowish tint around my mouth area. if you know so much about beta carotene you should've known this because there are more reports about it.

nicee, yeah i eat a good amount of beta carotene. i should be fine anyways. i don't care about some wrinkles appearing when im 60

Good that you eat it, either natural or pills. About not caring about aging skin. You'd get an idea of how you'll age by checking pictures of mother, pictures of your father. Look at how they were at 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45. If you see no difference, then good.

Now I'm talking about skin differences, as they age. Such as brown spots, wrinkles, thinner skin, sagging skin, changed skin texture, pitmarks from sunburn, less elasticity, thinner lips. Photoaging brings about all those, and more. Such signs of skin aging often appear long before you're 60. Most start looking worse in their twenties or thirties, and a lot of it is easily preventable.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: DutchPrettyBoy
Good that you eat it. About not caring about appearing aged. You'd get an idea of how you'll age by checking pictures of mother, pictures of your father. Look at how they were at 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45 etc.

Signs of skin aging often appear long before you're 60. Most start looking worse in their twenties or thirties, and much of it is photoaging. Brown spots, wrinkles, thinner skin, sagging skin, changed skin texture, pitmarks from sunburn, less elasticity, thinner lips.
tbh, they look different indeed. and my mom sun tans ALOT and she defenitely has some wrinkles because of it. but my skin aging genetics are defenitely not bad.

Actually easy sunburns and skin cancer and eccessive aging comes from fucked up lipids in the skin
As @ageistheblackestpill said "essential" fatty acids are unsaturated and generally it's the unsaturated lipids in your skin and blood that oxidize through uv and generally
If your lipid makeup has the least amounts of pufas and the most of saturated fat the sun won't do much and there will be very little oxidation in the skin
There are actually studies on this but I've seen them like a year ago, don't know where they are

tbh, they look different indeed. and my mom sun tans ALOT and she defenitely has some wrinkles because of it. but my skin aging genetics are defenitely not bad.

You're 16. Didn't notice that until now.

The best photoprotection is the one you get early, early on. Like in childhood. Next best is adolescence. But it's weighing pros and cons. One immediate benefit, at least for some, is that sunscreens such as LRP Ultra Light makes skin look better immediately, and you it doesn't come with the stigma of makeup, and it looks natural, doesn't look like one is wearing something.

The con is of course looking bad pale. And I'm with you on getting the most out of puberty. Especially if you slay.

Last edited:
  • +1
You're 16. Didn't notice that until now.

The best photoprotection is the one you get early, early on. Like in childhood. Next best is adolescence. But it's weighing pros and cons. One immediate benefit, at least for some, is that sunscreens such as LRP Ultra Light makes skin look better immediately, and you it doesn't come with the stigma of makeup, and it looks natural, doesn't look like one is wearing something.

The con is of course looking bad pale. And I'm with you on getting the most out of puberty. Especially if you slay.
i thought that with sunscreen you maybe only get a white cast. but it will not stop you from tanning. But it does you say?

And yeah being pale is really a no go tbh i have a girlfriend and she likes me with a little color.

For me the ideal color is this and i hope to achieve this this summer. This guy is in the sun everyday though...

Actually easy sunburns and skin cancer and eccessive aging comes from fucked up lipids in the skin
As @ageistheblackestpill said "essential" fatty acids are unsaturated and generally it's the unsaturated lipids in your skin and blood that oxidize through uv and generally
If your lipid makeup has the least amounts of pufas and the most of saturated fat the sun won't do much and there will be very little oxidation in the skin
There are actually studies on this but I've seen them like a year ago, don't know where they are
What does a pufa free diet look like?

U need sunlight, its essential for health, vit d and mental health. Either you are good looking or you are not, collagen wont change much (as long as you dont go into direct sun light everyday for hours). No need to by anti UV film like a autist.

Yes, sunlight is beneficial for vitamin D synthesis, mental health and general well-being. And it's beneficial for the circadian rhythm.

Vitamin D supplements are beneficial for many, virtually all of us are already getting it from food fortified with vitamin D, such as much of cow's milk, orange juice, cereals, and oatmeal. You'll find the vitamin in other foods as well. So we don't rely on UV, we can manage well without.

But anyway, it's a trade off.

If you worship the sun, and if you enjoy sunlight on your face, if it makes you feel good throughout, then go for it. Go for tanning. Go for the sun. Go for all that. But it's a trade off. Time and age will start showing from UV exposure, so if you'd want to limit unnecessary UV exposure if you'd rather want less brown spots, wrinkles, broken capillaries, and uneven skin texture, and a host of other stuff, as UV tanning is inextricably linked to such skin changes. The most important is to make a choice. UV film on the windows is the least invasive and easiest and most practical thing to do if you can easily afford it.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Highrise
+ Hydration and sleep

i thought that with sunscreen you maybe only get a white cast. but it will not stop you from tanning. But it does you say?

And yeah being pale is really a no go tbh i have a girlfriend and she likes me with a little color.

For me the ideal color is this and i hope to achieve this this summer. This guy is in the sun everyday though...

View attachment 570624

• Sunscreen that physically block UV gives you a white cast.
  • Sunscreen with chemical filters often gives you some white cast.
  • Some sunscreen doesn't, such as LRP Ultra Light. My skin looks better with it on. You can often sample the sunscreen at a local pharmacy for free. Take some on, wait for some minutes and check if it looks better on you.
If you're in it for quick benefits, then UVA tanning beds + cartenoids is prolly your best bet. The synergy from it. Tanning beds are good in giving you UVA, which tans the skin, but not so much UVB, which burns the skin. Sunburn might give you immediate sun damage, such as spots and pits.

I don't know much about skin tones. But again, do look at pictures of your parents, what color they had with a natural tan.

Some say cartenoid skin coloration looks "more attractive". I don't know about that. I would put my money on sun tanning looking better, for both genders. But if you eat fruit and veg high in cartenoids, I can guarantee you you'd see a color change. Cartenoids that you eat end up in the skin, where they're stored to be put to good use, such as conversion to vitamin D, so if you build up that storage by eating lots (!) of fruit and veg with carotenoids, the color change will come within a couple of months. If you get enough, then a color change is guaranteed.

You tan some even though you wear sunscreen. But it's there to prevent skin cancer, and doing so it prevents UVA and UVB, which also is what tans you. So it's not much "safer" tanning with sunscreen, or less photodamaging tanning with sunscreen.

Last edited:
  • +1
This guy is 50 and has used sunscreen and avoided the sun his whole life

Looks 32

• +1
Reactions: Highrise and Diremeyer
This guy is 50 and has used sunscreen and avoided the sun his whole life

Looks 32

He looks good even for a 32 year old. Impressive.

• +1
Reactions: Apeiron

Agedwoman

She looks good. Dunno her age, but she must look good for her age. Anyways, I've tried to unpack what makes her look aged nonetheless.

UV related
  • Thin forehead skin
  • Skin lacks elasticity
  • Skin throughout is thin
  • Skin looks somewhat "hard"
  • Hint of jowls
Partly UV related
  • Nasolabial folds, partly (mostly?) due to a fat face + smiling, partly due to less collagen, thus sun related.
  • Somehow I get the feel that she's using botox, which is to prevent us from seeing lines and wrinkles, lines and wrinkles due partly to UV and partly to repeated folds of the skin owning to facial expressions (crow's feet, smiling lines etc.)
  • Sagging eye lids. Not sure to what extent this is related to UV.
  • Neck got an "age line" across. Partly due to constant bending the neck, which we all do, partly due to less collagen etc. in the skin
  • Chin skin looks sallow
Other aging
  • Teeth lack luster
  • Hair looks thin. Now women don't do a comb over, but instead she's got products in her hair and have styled it to make it look thick, and it's so apparent, and unfashionable, which adds years to her look.
  • Eyebrows look somewhat "drawn on", and natural thick hair would've made her look younger.
  • The eyes themselves look aged, both the white and the iris. Dunno if shades protect against this, prolly not, but don't know.
  • Cheekbones were prolly more pronounced when she was younger
  • Skin tone looks good, not great. I think (could be wrong) that this isn't UV related, but mostly related to a slower turn-over time for slouching off dead skin, and getting new skin at a slower pace.
Let me know your thoughts. What makes her look old, and how to attribute it.

What does a pufa free diet look like?
Well you can't really live completely pufa free, but the key is to avoid all food which contain predominantly pufas
So every oil except coconut and olive oil
Nuts, seeds in general
Rancid fish oil, if eating fatty fish make sure that it's as fresh as possible and as little processed as possible
So all in all avoid unnatural "foods"