Training hypofunctional jaw muscles results in craniofacial growth in adults

betamanlet

betamanlet

Diamond
The experimental group received soft diet for a prolonged period, so that the animals developed weak masticatory muscles. A control group received ordinary hard food during the whole experimental period (27 weeks). After 21 weeks when the animals had nearly ceased their body growth the rats in the experimental group were divided into two groups. One group continued with soft diet until the end of the experiment (hypofunctional group). The other group received ordinary hard food to get the possibility to retrain their masticatory muscles (rehabilitation group). At week 21 and at the end of the experimental period (week 27), axial cephalograms were taken. Fourteen landmarks were defined to measure seven transverse distances of the skull. The increase of the anterior zygomatic arch width and interzygomatic width during the experimental period were larger in the rehabilitation group compared to both the normal and the hypofunctional group.

Masticatory functional changes have been shown to influence the quantity and quality of the alveolar bone during growth. This study was designed to investigate the effect of masticatory function rehabilitation on the morphology and the trabecular architecture of the mandibular alveolar bone after cessation of growth. Forty-four Sprague-Dawley male rats received soft diet in order to develop masticatory muscle hypofunction. After 21 weeks, after cessation of growth, the animals were divided into two groups: the first group continued receiving soft diet for six more weeks (hypofunction group), while the second group changed to ordinary (hard) diet with the aim to restore a normal masticatory function (rehabilitation group). A third group of 16 male rats (normal group) received ordinary (hard) diet during the whole experimental period and served as control. Micro-tomographic histomorphometry was used to evaluate the architecture of the mandibular alveolar bone (e.g. bone volume fraction, trabecular thickness, trabecular separation, etc.) at the end of the experiment (27 weeks). The height and width of the alveolar process were measured as well. The alveolar process trabecular bone volume fraction (BV/TV) was lower for the animals of the hypofunctional group as compared to those of the normal (p<0.01) and the rehabilitation (p<0.05) groups. Despite the significant improvement observed in the rehabilitation group, their BV/TV was lower in comparison to the normal group (p<0.05) at the end of this experiment. All the other micro-tomographic parameters followed the same pattern of change between groups; values of the rehabilitation group were between the values of the two other groups, differing significantly from both of them. The alveolar process was significantly shorter in the normal group in comparison to both the hypofunctional and rehabilitation groups (p<0.05). On the other hand, both the normal and rehabilitation groups were had a wider alveolar process than the hypofunctional group (p<0.05). Both alveolar height and width were significantly correlated with all micro-tomographic parameters under study. The rehabilitation of masticatory function led to a significant improvement of alveolar bone architecture in adult rats, although the negative effects of hypofunction were not totally reversed during the period under study.

Mechanistically, increased mastication induced Insulin–like growth factor (IGF)-1 and suppressed sclerostin in osteocytes. IGF-1 enhanced osteoblastogenesis of the cells derived from tendon. Together, these findings indicate that the osteocytes balance the cytokine expression upon the mechanical loading of increased mastication, in order to enhance bone formation. This bone formation leads to morphological change in the jawbone, so that the bone adapts to the mechanical environment to which it is exposed.

• +1
  • Love it
  • JFL
Reactions: SteveRogers, Lmao, AscendingHero and 24 others
cope i got nothing out of chewing

• +1
  • Ugh..
Reactions: Deleted member 6380, Agendum, Deleted member 9670 and 2 others
wow nice find

is chewing a meme for better lower eyelid tho? any study in that regard?

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: WadlowMaxxing and Deleted member 9670
cope i got nothing out of chewing
I have found that it is easy to unwittingly chew in an ineffective way when your jaws are not in an optimal position to begin with. Rather than half-assedly pressing the mandible up against the maxilla, you have to forcefully grind forward against the maxillary molars with your mandible, since such force vector is what will engage the masseters and pterygoids. Otherwise your masticatory effort will be led by the temporali, which will at worst result in a backward bite, the consequences of which are TMJ issues and mandibular recession.

is chewing a meme for better lower eyelid tho? any study in that regard?
Are you talking about scleral exposure or excessive eye-bags? I'd imagine that anything that impacts the zygomatic arches will indirectly improve orbital support too. For what it's worth, elimination of eyebags was possibly the first benefit I noticed from mewing.

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: AscendingHero, randomguy1235, WadlowMaxxing and 5 others
I have found that it is easy to unwittingly chew in an ineffective way when your jaws are not in an optimal position to begin with. Rather than half-assedly pressing the mandible up against the maxilla, you have to forcefully grind forward against the maxillary molars with your mandible, since such force vector is what will engage the masseters and pterygoids. Otherwise your masticatory effort will be led by the temporali, which will at worst result in a backward bite, the consequences of which are TMJ issues and mandibular recession.

Are you talking about scleral exposure or excessive eye-bags? I'd imagine that anything that impacts the zygomatic arches will indirectly improve orbital support too. For what it's worth, elimination of eyebags was possibly the first benefit I noticed from mewing.
no i'm talking about scleral show.... i have it slightly... i guess it's due to my phenotype that is present in warm area compared to nordic ones. Life is unfair, i really have most of bones. idk.

So what should I do? Buy chewing gum and start chewing??

So how am i supposed to chew?

are there also studies on humans or just on rats? if humans were rats hairloss would have been saved by now, so you cant really transfer everything 1 to 1

i dont deny positive aspects of hard chewing but i really doubt signifcant and noticable effects will be seen in human adults

correct me if im wrong

are there also studies on humans or just on rats? if humans were rats hairloss would have been saved by now, so you cant really transfer everything 1 to 1

i dont deny positive aspects of hard chewing but i really doubt signifcant and noticable effects will be seen in human adults

correct me if im wrong
Surely masseter hypertrophy is enough encouragement to start?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 9670
So how am i supposed to chew?
Forcefully while avoiding a backward force vector.

correct me if im wrong
Sadly most human studies I've found have been simple correlation studies.

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero, randomguy1235 and homo_faber

so chew forwards kinda confused lol.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6380

Does this mean you shouldn’t chew (Other than eating ofc) without a flat occlusal plane or that you should chew with anterior Teeth

Does this mean you shouldn’t chew (Other than eating ofc) without a flat occlusal plane or that you should chew with anterior Teeth
Not sure what you are asking, but chew with your molars.

Not sure what you are asking, but chew with your molars.
I was wondering if your occlusal plane is slanted if that would have negative affects rather than an occlusal plane parallel to the ground

I was wondering if your occlusal plane is slanted if that would have negative affects rather than an occlusal plane parallel to the ground
Slanted laterarly or anterior-posteriorly? I don't really know what causes lateral slanting. I've been trying to fix mine for years to on avail. I've tried differernt head positions, tongue postures, chewing techniques, and so on. Clearly such lanting doesn't affect the mechanics of chewing too much.

It literally doesn't matter at all, the stress on your bones isn't from the food that gets chewed on your molars, it's from the muscle use. That's not researched at all so you shouldn't make claims like that. Chewing is chewing, and chewing will always include both the masseter and temporalis muscle

• +1
Reactions: mvp2v1 and Deleted member 9670
the stress on your bones isn't from the food that gets chewed on your molars, it's from the muscle use.
Yes, and what kind of force vectors you apply during mastication will determine the ratios of use between the masticatory muscles. People with overbite typically have temporalis-dominant mastication.

That's not researched at all so you shouldn't make claims like that.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: SteveRogers, MSEinvestigator, Lmao and 4 others
Yes, and what kind of force vectors you apply during mastication will determine the ratios of use between the masticatory muscles. People with overbite typically have temporalis-dominant mastication.

I already know you're Christian and probably don't believe in facts like the earth being older than 6000 years old. But it makes virtually no sense to say something like this has a major influence on your facial development when chewing is an extremely understandable mechanism. Furthermore close to all studies so far have shown a shorter and more robust angular face in people with bigger masseters regardless. Unless you're chewing like a fucking retard this shit doesn't matter one bit. Cavemen etc didn't spend hours on wondering how to chew and yet all the skulls we're finding back don't have recessed faces etc. The fact you even talk about force vectors with a mechanism as easy as chewing tells me enough.

and even though I'm not gonna bother reading that entire study you sent, the morph pictures and the headlines don't speak of any overbites and if anything overall shorter faces with a lower mandibular angle which is good.

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Lmao, Deleted member 9670, Good_Little_Goy and 1 other person
Slanted laterarly or anterior-posteriorly? I don't really know what causes lateral slanting. I've been trying to fix mine for years to on avail. I've tried differernt head positions, tongue postures, chewing techniques, and so on. Clearly such lanting doesn't affect the mechanics of chewing too much.
Anterior-posteriorly. If the occlusal plane would make a triangle w the ground. In the sense that it is slanted down and not parallel. Would you want to stay away from chewing or does it not matter. I was a bit confused with what you said about the temporal is and fucking up the mandible and whether that would apply to occlusal plane angle

• +1
Reactions: curryslayerordeath
chewing is an extremely understandable mechanism.
Ha, is this Gudru Dunning or Gudru Kruger?
Cavemen etc didn't spend hours on wondering how to chew and yet all the skulls we're finding back don't have recessed faces etc.
Whereas cavemen had properly positioned jaws to begin with, most users here don't. Their craniofacial structures are not conducive to proper masticatory function. Since dysfunctional skeletal form leads to dysfunctional patterns of movement, in such case you may naturally end up chewing, as you put it, 'like a fucking retard'. That certainly was the case for me: even though I chewed a lot of gum growing up, my lower third was none the better, as my chewing pattern was temporalis-dominant (though this did give me a nice upper third, which is the main area of developmental influence for the temporalii as demonstrated in the morphology study). When I learned to engage a more pterygoid/masseter dominant chewing pattern, it was so foreign to me that I could only chew for a couple of minutes before experiencing intense burning near the zygomatic arch. Many others will be the same way. The proper way of chewing will be so alien and unintuitive to them that they will never learn it without consciously trying.

I recommend this article series for further reading. It's long, but you will learn a lot: http://portlandtmjclinic.com/etiology

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Woah
Reactions: AscendingHero, randomguy1235, Need2Ascend and 4 others
Ha, is this Gudru Dunning or Gudru Kruger?

Whereas cavemen had properly positioned jaws to begin with, most users here don't. Their craniofacial structures are not conducive to proper masticatory function. Since dysfunctional skeletal form leads to dysfunctional patterns of movement, in such case you may naturally end up chewing, as you put it, 'like a fucking retard'. That certainly was the case for me: even though I chewed a lot of gum growing up, my lower third was none the better, as my chewing pattern was temporalis-dominant (though this did give me a nice upper third, which is the main area of developmental influence for the temporalii as demonstrated in the morphology study). When I learned to engage a more pterygoid/masseter dominant chewing pattern, it was so foreign to me that I could only chew for a couple of minutes before experiencing intense burning near the zygomatic arch. Many others will be the same way. The proper way of chewing will be so alien and unintuitive to them that they will never learn it without consciously trying.

I recommend this article series for further reading. It's long, but you will learn a lot: http://portlandtmjclinic.com/etiology
Thanks I will and the way you explained it now makes more sense to me. Next thing, what would you say is the properly or ideally positioned jaw to begin with? I'm assuming a low mandibular plane etc but I'm wondering why a different dysfunctional skeletal form would ultimately lead to different patterns of movement, did you mean for example people with recession, overbites etc most likely adopting chewing patterns which are either too focused on either masseter or temporalis?

Anterior-posteriorly. If the occlusal plane would make a triangle w the ground. In the sense that it is slanted down and not parallel. Would you want to stay away from chewing or does it not matter. I was a bit confused with what you said about the temporal is and fucking up the mandible and whether that would apply to occlusal plane angle
To elaborate, I have a hypothesis that anterior-posterior slanting is caused by termporalis-dominant mastication. Roughly something like this (ignore the neurocranial movement):

34g3g43g

If true, it could explain why the temporalis are often tense in TMD patients, since the temporalis is effectively causing the condyle to being pushed further into the socket.

Furthermore, and this is quite 'out there' speculation, I suspect that intra-oral vacuum could be the natural counter-balance to the compressive cranial forces generated by mastication. By forming proper lip suction, your cheeks will act as a downward maxillary facepuller (which would be quite natural, since the maxillary sutures themselves are facing downward). See for example the following comparison between the orthotropic twins, one of which was a mouthbreather and the other a lip sealer. See how the posterior maxilla of the lip sealer appears to be reside lower than that of the mouthbreather.

Lipseal

Skeletally the difference could be somewhat similar to these illustrations:

Antegonial
24g24g42g

Could chewing without adequate counterforce from lip seal lead to loss of posterior maxillary height?

did you mean for example people with recession, overbites etc most likely adopting chewing patterns which are either too focused on either masseter or temporalis?
Yeah, that's it. Ideally positioned jaws as far as pre-industrial human anatomy is concerned are in edge-to-edge bite relationship, so that the arches wear evenly at the same rate.:

Screenshot 67

Note how the anterior arches curve upwards and see how the curvature relates the TMJ hinge. There is this forward/upward swing dynamic going on, almost like the molars are an axis point by which the anterior teeth are being pushed upward. This kind of dynamic is what I was alluding to with 'forward bite'.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: AscendingHero, PURE ARYAN GENETICS, randomguy1235 and 4 others
. When I learned to engage a more pterygoid/masseter dominant chewing pattern, it was so foreign to me that I could only chew for a couple of minutes before experiencing intense burning near the zygomatic arch. Many others will be the same way. The proper way of chewing will be so alien and unintuitive to them that they will never learn it without consciously trying.
how do you chew to engage the pterygoid/masseter?

is it the lower jaw moving forward thing?

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero and hairyballscel
" Representative coronal micro-CT images of the mandibular bone of mice fed with the HD or ND. Scale bar, 1 mm. "
So the results happening in less than 1 mm and also it has a barrier to the end-point.

Masseter hypertrophy is reall too, but at -some point- not like giving you enough hypertrophy to change your face. so what's the point ? nothing is new.

• +1
Reactions: Good_Little_Goy
" Representative coronal micro-CT images of the mandibular bone of mice fed with the HD or ND. Scale bar, 1 mm. "
So the results happening in less than 1 mm and also it has a barrier to the end-point.

Masseter hypertrophy is reall too, but at -some point- not like giving you enough hypertrophy to change your face. so what's the point ? nothing is new.
1mm in mice is not that small though, even in humans who are much larger, a few mm in the right areas can make a huge difference on how your face is perceived

• +1
Reactions: mvp2v1, ManzareK and Good_Little_Goy
CroMagnonSkull

• +1
Reactions: forwardgrowth and WadlowMaxxing
so you move the lower jaw forward and up while chewing?

Wait bro ive got a slight overbite, how should i be chewing to angle my jaw a bit more and bring it the tiniest bit forward??

I already know you're Christian and probably don't believe in facts like the earth being older than 6000 years old. But it makes virtually no sense to say something like this has a major influence on your facial development when chewing is an extremely understandable mechanism. Furthermore close to all studies so far have shown a shorter and more robust angular face in people with bigger masseters regardless. Unless you're chewing like a fucking retard this shit doesn't matter one bit. Cavemen etc didn't spend hours on wondering how to chew and yet all the skulls we're finding back don't have recessed faces etc. The fact you even talk about force vectors with a mechanism as easy as chewing tells me enough.

and even though I'm not gonna bother reading that entire study you sent, the morph pictures and the headlines don't speak of any overbites and if anything overall shorter faces with a lower mandibular angle which is good.
They do find skulls with overjets and overbites bro

View attachment 832391

Note how the anterior arches curve upwards and see how the curvature relates the TMJ hinge. There is this forward/upward swing dynamic going on, almost like the molars are an axis point by which the anterior teeth are being pushed upward. This kind of dynamic is what I was alluding to with 'forward bite'.
9D2633E2 7BCF 4898 A2D6 32FBE0D0891A
7455B952 5398 4E86 B85D 72772AA4EB9C
E9011441 A418 45F9 8D9E B4D709A0A284

So what do you have to do exactly? Just chew? You expect me to read the whole study?

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 7098 and Deleted member 8165
Can it reduce mewline????

• JFL
Reactions: TITUS
betamanlet says it above
Yes, you get it.
I've been finding that merely focusing intensely on pressing up against my molars as hard as I can while chewing creates a burning sensation that I can feel running from the masseter to the zygomatic arch. Is there another component? Should I be pushing forward while I do it as well?

1mm in mice is not that small though, even in humans who are much larger, a few mm in the right areas can make a huge difference on how your face is perceived
ahhh i'm sorry i thought this is the same as chinacel's shared article, this was on mice, sorry.

So what do you have to do exactly? Just chew? You expect me to read the whole study?
chewing on hard stuff with your molars in a forward motion towards your front teeth? @betamanlet
Deer Chewing GIF by Wondeerful farm - Find & Share on GIPHY

They do find skulls with overjets and overbites bro
Only post agriculture. Some people don't understand that a longer midface is due to more growth in general too.

Only post agriculture. Some people don't understand that a longer midface is due to more growth in general too.
No not since agriculture bro, since knife and fork. Look at medieval and Middle Ages skulls with Richard The Lionheart being a good example, they had edge to edge bites. They were well into farm maxxing by then

best poster, thank you

• +1
Reactions: rrrrrr8526
why would the dominance of a certain muscle group matter? mastication requires all 3 of those major muscles, so no matter what your chewing pattern is, they will all be activated proportionally based on your skull relationships. if not, how do you even 'feel' how much a certain muscle is being activated?

excessively clockwise slanted AP planes lead to pretty much a complete lack of development for the masticatory muscles (unlike normal or short faced ppl whose bite forces increases significantly w age/activity), most likely bc of inability to be properly recruited. if u have a steep occlusal plane, are u able to feel proper activation when u chew?

why would the dominance of a certain muscle group matter? mastication requires all 3 of those major muscles, so no matter what your chewing pattern is, they will all be activated proportionally based on your skull relationships. if not, how do you even 'feel' how much a certain muscle is being activated?

excessively clockwise slanted AP planes lead to pretty much a complete lack of development for the masticatory muscles (unlike normal or short faced ppl whose bite forces increases significantly w age/activity), most likely bc of inability to be properly recruited. if u have a steep occlusal plane, are u able to feel proper activation when u chew?
Idk how steep my occlusal plane is but I think so. I’m getting intrusion with ting anyways which should improve the occlusal plane I believe

People with overbite typically have temporalis-dominant mastication.
Can confirm, the wrong positioning of both my jaws is probably the reason my lower third did never really get wider, although I was chewing like retard for sometimes 4-6 hours a day for several months, the only change I noticed was in my upper third from the enlarged temporalis.

I think it's safe to say that "harmonious" results from chewing are most likely when both jaws are in the correct position to begin with

Yeah but isn't poor mastication a structural issue first and as a consequence a functional one? I feel it's more unidirectional, no long lasting results until the craniofacial aspect is resolved. Chewing is self reinforcing in the direction of good or bad growth.

It's a rich gets richer and poor get poorer situation imo. The jaws are wired to chewed correctly instinctively but the poor skeletal structure is in the way.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 685 and curryslayerordeath

@betamanlet i would be curious to hear a reply from you