Training hypofunctional jaw muscles results in craniofacial growth in adults

why would the dominance of a certain muscle group matter? mastication requires all 3 of those major muscles, so no matter what your chewing pattern is, they will all be activated proportionally based on your skull relationships. if not, how do you even 'feel' how much a certain muscle is being activated?
The way you grind your teeth against each other during mastication will determine the shape your occlusion, which in turn will determine which sutures are going to experience stress during mastication.
Yeah but isn't poor mastication a structural issue first and as a consequence a functional one? I feel it's more unidirectional, no long lasting results until the craniofacial aspect is resolved. Chewing is self reinforcing in the direction of good or bad growth.
I would say form and function mutually reinforce each other. Function can fail by adopting bad habits, after which form will fail too, which will encourage further deterioration of function, and so on. Likewise, children who don't face developmental issues will grow towards proper form, which will encourage proper function too, further cementing in good form. Now if your form is bad, you will find proper functioning difficult. But at the same time, without fighting for proper functioning, can you expect your form to ever improve? You are right that unless you are consciously trying to reprogram your jaw, chewing will likely only reinforce the direction of bad growth.

Where did you find that ppl with overbites typically have temporalis dominant mastication?
I don't remember, sorry. Might be that I'm pulling it out of my ass.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 685 and Agendum
betamanlet

The way you grind your teeth against each other during mastication will determine the shape your occlusion, which in turn will determine which sutures are going to experience stress during mastication.

I would say form and function mutually reinforce each other. Function can fail by adopting bad habits, after which form will fail too, which will encourage further deterioration of function, and so on. Likewise, children who don't face developmental issues will grow towards proper form, which will encourage proper function too, further cementing in good form. Now if your form is bad, you will find proper functioning difficult. But at the same time, without fighting for proper functioning, can you expect your form to ever improve? You are right that unless you are consciously trying to reprogram your jaw, chewing will likely only reinforce the direction of bad growth.

I don't remember, sorry. Might be that I'm pulling it out of my ass.
bro please enlighten me on the right way to chew then. I believe you didnt make it clear

bro please enlighten me on the right way to chew then. I believe you didnt make it clear
I'm not sure if there is one universal answer to this. It would depend on your current facial form and masticatory habits. If you have overbite like I have, you could try grinding forward with the mandibular molars.

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero, WadlowMaxxing, Deleted member 4720 and 1 other person
I'm not sure if there is one universal answer to this. It would depend on your current facial form and masticatory habits. If you have overbite like I have, you could try grinding forward with the mandibular molars.
I have good maxilla forward growth and ramus but I could use more mandible projection and width. My bite is also fine. How do you think I should be chewing?

I have good maxilla forward growth and ramus but I could use more mandible projection and width. My bite is also fine. How do you think I should be chewing?
The better your development is the less what I'm saying matters, since proper craniofacial form will encourage proper activation of the masticatory muscles. I don't know to what extent chewing can help you with achieving increased mandibular projection.

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero and Deleted member 4720
Forcefully while avoiding a backward force vector.

Sadly most human studies I've found have been simple correlation studies.
When I chose whilst focussing a bit more on the front of my jaw and moving it forwards slightly II’ve noticed my temporales muscle is barely being engaged. Am I chewing correcty?

• +1
Reactions: Edgar
When I chose whilst focussing a bit more on the front of my jaw and moving it forwards slightly II’ve noticed my temporales muscle is barely being engaged. Am I chewing correcty?
so how did this go for you?