What are you guys thoughts on surgery first approach with jaw surgery?

Deleted member 3259

Deleted member 3259

Kraken
This is starting to get a lot more common in the west now. It would be fucking insane in terms of time saving when it comes to looksmaxing. Without surgery first you are looking at 1 to 2 years of braces before the surgery.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6488
I used to think it's more likely to achieve a better functional and aesthetic result with braces before/during/after than just after, but if you get them post-op only and after waiting a few months, you add the benefit of getting any relapse out of the way. Then it's like a nice, new, blank slate for the orthodontist to work with, without any risk of your jaw shifting again.

The other benefit (for your mental health) is that even if your teeth aren't perfect, at least your skull looks better, sooner.

I went the braces-after route and have no substantive complaints.

• +1
Reactions: Robert California
I used to think it's more likely to achieve a better functional and aesthetic result with braces before/during/after than just after, but if you get them post-op only and after waiting a few months, you add the benefit of getting any relapse out of the way. Then it's like a nice, new, blank slate for the orthodontist to work with, without any risk of your jaw shifting again.

The other benefit (for your mental health) is that even if your teeth aren't perfect, at least your skull looks better, sooner.

I went the braces-after route and have no substantive complaints.

Did you get to personally choose between braces only after or before and after? Or was it already decided?