What factors have an effect on perceived height?

11gaijin

11gaijin

Banned
Not all people of same height give the impression of being the same height unless they stand next to each other. There are some known celebs that always look really short to me while others don't look that short. Jason Stathom for an example never felt like a manlet to me unless I googled his height few years back. I agree camera angle frauding and other tricks help but that doesn't work with everyone. There was this guy from Better Call Saul that didn't give the impression of a 5'6'' guy at all. I was surprised to find he was 5'6''. This guy. While the lead actor, who plays Saul looks short. Even in real life some people look shorter than others unless they stand next to each other.

So what are the factors that affect this? Is it the frame, head to body size ratio?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401
long torso
also second guy looks manlet as fuk

• +1
long torso
also second guy looks manlet as fuk
Doesn't give that impression in the show. Even the people commenting are saying that.

• +1
frauding angles
shoulder width
posture
hairstyle
hats
shoes/shoe lifts
waist size
leg length

I have legit had people call me "tall" all my life, despite being average height of 5'9.5 (so 5'10 in shoes.)

I think this is because I am so thin built and with long legs and torso, so it looks taller than I am.

Whereas my dad is same height but has massive shoulders and a massive frame, and people swear he is shorter than I am

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and 11gaijin
People can tell your height (as in average, short, tall etc.) just by looking at your face in a passport photo with high accuracy.
63QTRwi.jpg

The image is from this study.
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0080957

The summary is, people are much, much more likely to trust the guy with a wide and tall face compared to the guy who has a short and stubby face.

The perceived tall man is also much more likely to be elected into a political position, to be chosen as CEO of a company etc., the effects run very deep and seem to be ingrained in human psyche. Especially males respond to tall and wide faces as a sign of leadership and intelligence.

Given the prominence of facial appearance in making social judgments, facial cues to perceived height have a significant influence on leadership selection.

Facial cues to perceived height had a strong relationship with perceived leadership ability. Furthermore, when allowed to manually manipulate faces, participants increased facial cues associated with perceived height in order to maximize leadership perception.

Other features such as masculinity had no effect on perceived height or leadership ability.

A morphometric analysis of face shape revealed that structural facial masculinity was not responsible for the relationship between perceived height and perceived leadership ability.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Clark69 and Deleted member 6401
I heard wearing vertically striped shirts can make one appear taller.

• +1
Long legs make you look taller as well as lifts and posture

• +1
Status also kinda makes you look taller I domt know why.

But, Below-Average to Average height Police Officers always seem to much taller than they actually are. Not physically obvs, but like, their Manlet-ness has a decreased effect on the way I perceive them.

Idk maybe its just me.

• +1
Clothes.
Download 1
Download 2

Compare his perceived height on these two pictures. He looks significantly taller when he wears clothes that actually fit his body.
Also I believe that black makes you look taller.

• +1
He looks significantly taller when he wears clothes that actually fit his body.

Don't know about you but that doesn't seem to fit his body. And the style is ugly af

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and Deleted member 685
Don't know about you but that doesn't seem to fit his body. And the style is ugly af
The clothes on the left fit his body. They also don't look ugly in my opinion. A jeans jacket and a black jeans is casual style.
The style on the right is ugly in my opinion.

• +1
I think it's tallface (vertically long skull proportions) and torso length

• +1