Why MSE gives minimal IPD expansion

retard

retard

rides a short bus to school
When MSE splits the suture all the force is going to be applied to the bottom of the maxilla, this means that the force is not centralized and that the maxilla will not just be translated outwards, but also rotated, the bottom of the maxilla will be pushed out much more than the top of the maxilla, which is part of the orbital that would cause an increase in IPD
27A62D5E A8C6 45CA B20F 3D8692693187

The blue vertical lines is the split maxilla while the arrow is mse splitting the suture and pushing the maxilla out at the bottom, the top red line is the IPD, while the bottom red line is the bizygo distance, notice how when you push the maxilla apart from the bottom the upper maxilla/orbitals move apart minimally in comparison

This is why despite the maxilla/bizygo expanding by 5-6 mm, IPD only expands 1-2mm while you would initially think that since the orbitals are just a part of the maxilla if the maxilla expands 5 mm, the IPD should also increase by 5mm, however this is not the case due to the location that the force is applied

theoretically if you could drill mse in the middle of the maxilla and expanded, the force on it would be centralized resulting in pure translation with no rotations, meaning that the bizygo distance and IPD would increase at a 1:1 ratio

• +1
Reactions: Tasty17, aginghomo, AscendingHero and 11 others
dnr but I came to say that I missed that avi so much

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: horizontallytall, Deleted member 6401, diggbicc and 2 others
duh

• +1
Reactions: lutte, Deleted member 6401 and Darkstrand
so it will make maxilla go forward some?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401
yeah it is useless for upper maxilla, especially in adults

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and needsolution
lol that has nothing to do with this, but yes mse makes the maxilla go forward slightly

kys
Does a facemask hooked up to an MSE move maxilla forward in adults?

• +1
Bruh even 1-2mm is good enough for my 58mm ipd

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: AscendingHero, Deleted member 3202, thecel and 4 others
  • +1
Completely over then

• +1
  • +1
Reactions: AscendingHero and Deleted member 6401
ye mms go a long way, just showing why ur IPD doesn’t expand 5mm while your bizygo does

The top maxilla still gets displaced some, just much less than the bottom part
Anyways 1:1 expansion would be shitty for most of us. It should be like 0.46mm of IPD for every 1mm of bizygomatic width.

• +1
Reactions: Need2Ascend, orthochadic, Deleted member 6401 and 2 others
Anyways 1:1 expansion would be shitty for most of us. It should be like 0.46mm of IPD for every 1mm of bizygomatic width.
depends on your current es ratio, if you’re cyclicopscel you would want a 1:1 but if dolphincel the less ipd the better

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero, Deleted member 6401 and needsolution
depends on your current es ratio, if you’re cyclicopscel you would want a 1:1 but if dolphincel the less ipd the better
That big expansion of IPD is meaningless without PFL expansion which would be needed to look good and harmonic tbh . I doubt MSE expands PFL in any significant way.

• +1
I'm pretty sure time of expansion also has to do with it, slower expansion=more IPD gains

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and retard
That big expansion of IPD is meaningless without PFL expansion which would be needed to look good and harmonic tbh . I doubt MSE expands PFL in any significant way.
it probably expands it by a mm based on what peoples mewing results are, idk the mechanism behind it though since its not like the orbital is getting wider just the distance between the orbitals

• +1
Good thread

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and retard
Just a shower thought - after mse splits the suture you could pull your zygos outwards for a long period of time to distribute a expanding force to the top of the maxilla to widen the upper half/orbitals as well which would increase IPD

it should work in theory since the reason you need MSE is simply to split the suture, after that threshold is met you need much lower amounts of force to push the maxilla apart, and your hands would probably be sufficient in providing enough force - the caveat is no one really knows how much time you would need to do this for to cause a widening of the upper maxilla

• +1
Just a shower thought - after mse splits the suture you could pull your zygos outwards for a long period of time to distribute a expanding force to the top of the maxilla to widen the upper half/orbitals as well which would increase IPD

it should work in theory since the reason you need MSE is simply to split the suture, after that threshold is met you need much lower amounts of force to push the maxilla apart, and your hands would probably be sufficient in providing enough force - the caveat is no one really knows how much time you would need to do this for to cause a widening of the upper maxilla
Jfl how would you be able to do that

when mse splits the suture there isnt a hole or gap between the two maxillary planes
The flesh is still there covering the suture

• +1
Jfl how would you be able to do that

when mse splits the suture there isnt a hole or gap between the two maxillary planes
The flesh is still there covering the suture
If you clasped your cheekbones which is connected to the upper maxilla it would distribute an expanding tension force to the top of the maxilla to encourage that to move with the already expanding lower maxilla

when the suture isn’t fused in young children the tongue is capable of providing enough force for expansion, just when the suture closes you need an extreme amount of force to reopen it- but once it’s reopened you can use much smaller forces similar in magnitude to what your tongue can accomplish for expansion

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero, Agendum and Deleted member 6401
When MSE splits the suture all the force is going to be applied to the bottom of the maxilla, this means that the force is not centralized and that the maxilla will not just be translated outwards, but also rotated, the bottom of the maxilla will be pushed out much more than the top of the maxilla, which is part of the orbital that would cause an increase in IPD
View attachment 341732
The blue vertical lines is the split maxilla while the arrow is mse splitting the suture and pushing the maxilla out at the bottom, the top red line is the IPD, while the bottom red line is the bizygo distance, notice how when you push the maxilla apart from the bottom the upper maxilla/orbitals move apart minimally in comparison

This is why despite the maxilla/bizygo expanding by 5-6 mm, IPD only expands 1-2mm while you would initially think that since the orbitals are just a part of the maxilla if the maxilla expands 5 mm, the IPD should also increase by 5mm, however this is not the case due to the location that the force is applied

theoretically if you could drill mse in the middle of the maxilla and expanded, the force on it would be centralized resulting in pure translation with no rotations, meaning that the bizygo distance and IPD would increase at a 1:1 ratio
Don't the enlarged nostrils make you look ridiculous? Or is there no aesthetic disadvantage? Ronald Ead's nostrils look kind of big tbh.

so if i already have a wide ipd, mse is going to make my es ratio even worse? i was hoping the cheekbone width would make it better ngl

so if i already have a wide ipd, mse is going to make my es ratio even worse? i was hoping the cheekbone width would make it better ngl

If an horizontal cut is done and the appliance is placed a bit anterior you shouldn't worry about that

• +1
Reactions: malignant
No it's cos the eye sockets are connected to the forehead lmao. You can't move the whole eye socket without splitting the forehead in half

As I already said, how do you expect to move the eye sockets when they are connected to the forehead? Lol. All that could happen is rotation out from the centre
So maybe canthal tilt will improve

As I already said, how do you expect to move the eye sockets when they are connected to the forehead? Lol. All that could happen is rotation out from the centre
bro thats why ive been posting sutures, none of the bones are actually bonded to one another, they are just connected as separate parts by the sutures

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero
bro thats why ive been posting sutures, none of the bones are actually bonded to one another, they are just connected as separate parts by the sutures
The top of the eye socket is the same bone as the forehead

The top of the eye socket is the same bone as the forehead
ye but what matters are the bones that are attached to the canthal tendons, as those are what actually dictate where the eye goes, while the orbits dictate that, the parts of the orbits that dictate it are apart of moveable bones

ye but what matters are the bones that are attached to the canthal tendons, as those are what actually dictate where the eye goes, while the orbits dictate that, the parts of the orbits that dictate it are apart of moveable bones
Also ronald ead got zero ipd change, not even 1mm by the Looks of it

The MSE studies suggest that the skeletal separation isn't really lateral displacement but rather rotation around a fulcrum near the frontozygomatic suture, so structures closer to the fulcrum like the orbits would have less linear change than structures farther from the fulcrum like the teeth, even if they have comparable angular change.

Attachments

• MSE Fulcrum.png
    MSE Fulcrum.png
    195.5 KB · Views: 13
  • MSE Fulcrum 2.png
    MSE Fulcrum 2.png
    546.9 KB · Views: 17
  • +1
Reactions: Tasty17
Also ronald ead got zero ipd change, not even 1mm by the Looks of it
This is hard to judge because he lined up the pupils to standardize the before and after images on his blog.

Also I'm not sure you realise how complex the eyes actually are.
This is what positions the eyes, which moving the lower orbital would not affect
800wm

I haven't noticed a change in my ipd, but I haven't taken current pictures to compare to my baseline.
Yeah you won't get a change