Diary of a palatal expander patient

Lateral projection is not undereye support. Be prepared for a wider nose.
100% true, and I am just now noticing it. I have very little fat under my eyes, there will be no way to bypass saddle infra implants.

I am not noticing much of a change in the nose to be honest. But even if it gets substantially wider, I am ok with that. Fixing soft tissue will be the last of my looksmaxing steps.

• Love it
Reactions: BrahminBoss
I do not think so. My class 3 occlusion is very moderate. It was only spotted by one of three orthodontists. So if is just a matter of moving teeth a few millimeters and according to the chosen ortho the open bite would be fixed. We will have to see how I end up, but I have planned to get bimax afterwards to push my jaws a bit forward and especially have a more projected chin. So in case my mouth cannot be fixed orthodontically, then I will get it solved with surgery for sure.
You maxilla is recessed and mse doesn’t really give any anterior projection of the maxilla lol. You are just getting camouflage orthodontics but your maxilla will still be recessed lol.

• Ugh..
Reactions: ccwarrior
You maxilla is recessed and mse doesn’t really give any anterior projection of the maxilla lol. You are just getting camouflage orthodontics but your maxilla will still be recessed lol.
I never stated MSE gave any anterior projection, nor it has been my goal with it. My teeth are a mess and I have an open bite, but this is not the same as saying my maxilla is recessed.

The maxilofacial surgeon I consulted with told me I do not really need more projection in the maxilla, although I would benefit from some ccw, a moderate bsso advancement and genioplasty.

The maxilofacial surgeon I consulted with told me I do not really need more projection in the maxilla, although I would benefit from some ccw, a moderate bsso advancement and genioplasty.
If your maxofacial surgeon said you could benefit from all that then you are literally recessed asf. CCW is for downward growth, BSSO for mandibular projection, and Genio for chin projection. Sounds recessed to me brah.

If your maxofacial surgeon said you could benefit from all that then you are literally recessed asf. CCW is for downward growth, BSSO for mandibular projection, and Genio for chin projection. Sounds recessed to me brah.
My chin is considerably recessed and I have a high gonial angle, I am not denying that. But strangely enough my maxilla is correctly projected. This same surgeon said he was not willing to give me more than 3 mm at max of lefort 1 because I did not need it.

I'm still contemplating if I should call a MSE ortho in Germany or not. I'm worried about fucking up my ratios, my nose is already somewhat bulky imo. I have a somewhat 8 teeth smile. If u need bimax anyway, why didn't u go for a segmental lefort 1?

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: jfbjfb
My chin is considerably recessed and I have a high gonial angle, I am not denying that. But strangely enough my maxilla is correctly projected. This same surgeon said he was not willing to give me more than 3 mm at max of lefort 1 because I did not need it.
Lol so what are you still just gonna cope with orthodontics when you are obviously recessed asf? And you still might need rotation of the maxilla even if you don’t necessarily get a lot of linear advancement.

You literally admitted you have a skeletal deformity but you’re just gonna get braces and MSE lol.

- Pics:
View attachment 2311179View attachment 2311180

- Day: 12
- Turns: 13
- Expansion: 2.17 mm
- Comments: The diastema is becoming more apparent, it starts being noticeable when I am talking. The pain is gone, turning the expander screw only causes a slight pressure on my maxilla which is transferred to my cheekbones, but other than that it feels very comfortable. As I expand my open bite is starting to improve a bit, although most of it will be fixed with dental movement (aligners) later on. One of the main reasons I went for the MSE was the expansion of the whole midface, including the cheekbones and with the secondary aim of improving the under eye area. Well, the cheekbones have been widen, they are becoming more beautiful. It is now apparent I have high-set cheekbones, very close to my orbits. They are not much laterally expanded, yet MSE is fixing that. Despite the improvement in the cheekbones, my under eyes are still very recessed. I am now realizing I will have to get infraorbital rim implants without a doubt because there is just not enough bone there.

- Tags:
@Giorgio @NegativeNorwood @Yassin @slop slinger @nobodyspecial369 @noprogressno @AscendingHero @malicieusss
damn, looking forward to seeing how the cheekbones and the hollowing will look at full expansion

future looking bright :Comfy:

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: jfbjfb and NegativeNorwood
Are you also doing BOW facemask?

• +1
hater activities
Keep barking greycel. His Maxofacial surgeon literally told him he’s recessed lol but he’s coping with braces and MSE.

I'm still contemplating if I should call a MSE ortho in Germany or not. I'm worried about fucking up my ratios, my nose is already somewhat bulky imo. I have a somewhat 8 teeth smile. If u need bimax anyway, why didn't u go for a segmental lefort 1?
I could have gotten segmental lefort (in fact, the surgeon I went to recommended it to me) but I really wanted the midface improvements MSE provides. So it will be a longer route and more expensive, but hopefully more worth it in the end.

Pm me if you want to have a conversation, I can give you my humble opinion on the situation.

Are you also doing BOW facemask?
No, I do not expect facemask to cause much of a change, plus it would be impossible for me to wear it at the workplace. I will address the sagittal plane once I am done with MSE + orthodontics.

Keep barking greycel. His Maxofacial surgeon literally told him he’s recessed lol but he’s coping with braces and MSE.
There is no need to get mad. My bones are far from perfect, and your concerns are legit. I have decided to get MSE + aligners to fix my bite and address my lack of midfacial width. Will it be enough? Probably not, this is why I am planning to get bimax with implants so that all dimensions of my face are fixed.

We can talk as much as you want, but one thing is clear: at least one of us is taking action.

• +1
Reactions: RecessedChinCel
at least one of us is taking action.
little do you know lmao. I’ve basically already done what you are planning to do which is camouflage orthodontics lol. You know that if you plan to get jaw surgery later you may likely have to decompensate the teeth anyway?

My bite rn is perfect because of past orthodontics but I am a skeletal class II. So I will have to reverse my othordontic treatment for the teeth the be in the right position for surgery anyway.

• +1
z at
you don't know what camouflage orthodontics is you retard
camouflage orthodontics is the use of dental movement to make up for a skeletal deficiency
MSE IS SPLITTING THE FUCKING MAXILLA BONE IN TWO
IT IS THE OPPOSITE OF CAMOUFLAGE ORTHODONTICS

yes, you may need to decompensate for jaw surgery...
DENTALLY
MSE IS SKELETAL
literally caging at you you absolute dumbass. He literally has a skeletal class III and an open bite. Braces and MSE will not correct his skeletal class III as an adult 😂😂😂.

he will have to fix occlusion is with braces/elastic (camouflage orthodontics) 😂😂

Imagine arguing with me when his Maxofacial surgeon literally said he could benefit from jaw surgery. Don’t utter another sentence subhuman 😂

Last edited:
NO ONE SAID IT WOULD YOU RETARD
are you arguing with the voices in your head? NO ONE SAID IT WOULD
Lmfao. Not another utterance
I am planning to get bimax with implants so that all dimensions of my face are fixed.
Op literally says he will pursue bimax in the future yet he is going to compensate his bite 😂. He will have to DECOMPENSATE when he wants bimax in the future anyway lol. That is all I’m saying. Laughably enough you are the one aruging with ghosts you dumbass.

MSE recently got 20mm of skeletal movement in an adult
I DARE you to show me somebody 18 or older getting 20mm of lateral skeletal movement from MSE :lul:

if you had a neuron you'd know that you can do jaw surgery decompensation right after mse
it's not an issue

you just shouldn't talk shit about what you don't know
It will literally be a total waste of time lol. You will compensate the bite just to decompensate the bite right after lmao. Decompensation can take anywhere from 12-18 months lol.

little do you know lmao. I’ve basically already done what you are planning to do which is camouflage orthodontics lol. You know that if you plan to get jaw surgery later you may likely have to decompensate the teeth anyway?

My bite rn is perfect because of past orthodontics but I am a skeletal class II. So I will have to reverse my othordontic treatment for the teeth the be in the right position for surgery anyway.
Hey, your point is a valid one.

For context purposes, I visited 3 orthodontists. Two of them told me I had a slight class II just from taking a look at me, whereas the current ortho said I had a bit of a class III from looking at the scans. He said bimax would not be needed and that he could give me an ideal class I occlusion. We will have to see if he can deliver that, and what kind of dental movement I will need to accommodate my mouth before bimax. No one will take away from me the benefits of MSE though.

This was my bite a few months ago:

• +1
Hey, your point is a valid one.

For context purposes, I visited 3 orthodontists. Two of them told me I had a slight class II just from taking a look at me, whereas the current ortho said I had a bit of a class III from looking at the scans. He said bimax would not be needed and that he could give me an ideal class I occlusion. We will have to see if he can deliver that, and what kind of dental movement I will need to accommodate my mouth before bimax. No one will take away from me the benefits of MSE though.

This was my bite a few months ago:

View attachment 2313624
Off a glance you look like a Class III to me. Yeah still pursue MSE as I think it typically has the best results on Class III patients.

He said bimax would not be needed and that he could give me an ideal class I occlusion.
This here is camouflage orthodontics. I spoke to a maxofacial surgeon about this. There are two different occlusions.

-Dental Occlusion
-Skeletal Occlusion

What they will do is have you wear braces and elastics that will Incline teeth, or pull BACK the jaws to achieve DENTAL Class I occlusion. But you will still have SKELTAL Class III. So if you want to have your actual BONES fixed you will always need jaw surgery. And if you do pursue surgery, you will have to put your teeth back in the “natural” position relative to the jaws.

And keep in mind moving the teeth like this literally takes months. @Gaia262 I believe needed premolars removed to get his overjet back for surgery and it took like 18 months.

I’m trying to save you up to a year of time brah. Don’t get camouflaged orthodontics just go straight to surgery you will have to wear braces for surgery anyway

Last edited:
  • +1
Makes sense to be honest.

I am getting my teeth fixed with corticotomies in my lower jaw and invisible aligners, which should put my teeth in place in a matter of half a year, maybe 9 months pushing it.

The biggest doubt I now have is whether this dental work will give me an OK bite to pursue bimax straight away or if I will be forced to get braces. While my bones are not perfectly in place, could an occlusion that is just off by 1 or 2 mm condition it?

When I considered the option of going for bimax directly, the plan was to have braces for 9 months, bimax, and 6 months more after that. 18 months seems a bit extreme from what I have read. Ramieri is keen on extracting premolars sometimes but I would try to avoid it at all costs.

It is hard for me to predict how this will unveil, yet I am not discarding your omen will unfold as you anticipate.

• +1
Makes sense to be honest.

I am getting my teeth fixed with corticotomies in my lower jaw and invisible aligners, which should put my teeth in place in a matter of half a year, maybe 9 months pushing it.

The biggest doubt I now have is whether this dental work will give me an OK bite to pursue bimax straight away or if I will be forced to get braces. While my bones are not perfectly in place, could an occlusion that is just off by 1 or 2 mm condition it?

When I considered the option of going for bimax directly, the plan was to have braces for 9 months, bimax, and 6 months more after that. 18 months seems a bit extreme from what I have read. Ramieri is keen on extracting premolars sometimes but I would try to avoid it at all costs.

It is hard for me to predict how this will unveil, yet I am not discarding your omen will unfold as you anticipate.

This girl here says she had orthodontics in the past for an overbite. As you see here she still has the appearance of a weak jaw yet her bite is perfect and she’s complains about tmd symptoms.

She went on to get jaw surgery to achieve Skeletal Class I relationship

IMG 8802

• +1
Another update:

- Day: 24
- Turns: 25
- Expansion: 4.17 mm
- Comments: I can notice my palate becoming wider, sleeping at night turns out to be easier. The diastema is slowly getting bigger, and if you can notice it from the image above, the root of the teeth is wider than the separation on the teeth edges. This is to be expected as a triangle will start to form, but I am not much worried about it. The cheekbones are becoming wider just like I wanted. Initially my bizygomatic width was smaller than my bigonial and bitemporal width, but now the order is the right one: bizygomatic > bitemporal > bigonial. It is not only the frontal part of the cheekbones that is being more laterally projected, but mainly the zygomatic process (as in my avi). Considering I am in the middle of the expansion process, I would say I am already getting some very nice results, and hopefully the progression continues. Each day that goes by my smile is wider, so once the diastema is closed I should be able to show a nice U shaped arch. There is still no improvement in my open bite though. The plan has always been to fix that with invisalign. If not, I will go for bimax either way.

- Tags:

@Giorgio @NegativeNorwood @Yassin @slop slinger @nobodyspecial369 @noprogressno @AscendingHero @malicieusss

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: nobodyspecial369, Yassin, NegativeNorwood and 3 others
Another update:

View attachment 2334339View attachment 2334341View attachment 2334389

- Comments: I can notice my palate becoming wider, sleeping at night turns out to be easier. The diastema is slowly getting bigger, and if you can notice it from the image above, the root of the teeth is wider than the separation on the teeth edges. This is to be expected as a triangle will start to form, but I am not much worried about it. The cheekbones are becoming wider just like I wanted. Initially my bizygomatic width was smaller than my bigonial and bitemporal width, but now the order is the right one: bizygomatic > bitemporal > bigonial. It is not only the frontal part of the cheekbones that is being more laterally projected, but mainly the zygomatic process (as in my avi). Considering I am in the middle of the expansion process, I would say I am already getting some very nice results, and hopefully the progression continues. Each day that goes by my smile is wider, so once the diastema is closed I should be able to show a nice U shaped arch. There is still no improvement in my open bite though. The plan has always been to fix that with invisalign. If not, I will go for bimax either way.

- Tags:

Mirin hard.

Solid ropefuel for me since I can't do MSE anymore.

This shit isn't popular here, they'd rather extract teeth, do some camouflage or some other frauding techniques.

Mirin hard.

Solid ropefuel for me since I can't do MSE anymore.

This shit isn't popular here, they'd rather extract teeth, do some camouflage or some other frauding techniques.
Where are you from?

If you can fly to other countries I am sure you will find someone nearby. Check these providers:

• So Sad
Reactions: jfbjfb, Giorgio and ccwarrior
Another update:

View attachment 2334339View attachment 2334341View attachment 2334389

- Tags:

Amazing, the expansion looks completely even and your zygos bigger. This is going to be a complete success.
If you get a bimax+genio (without extracting premolars) with custom plates and guides after, the ascension would be amazing, both functional and aesthetics wise. It is a PITA but definitely more than worth, as it is just a few months extra of treatment for the rest of your life with perfect lower third and optimal airways.

Btw since you are going to have braces either way, make sure to avoid aligners and get normal braces (preferably self ligating like Damon or the lingual ones), so you have the option of doing the bimax after. IIRC, with aligners it can't be planned. @Giorgio knows more than me about the specifics.

Last edited:
  • Love it
I had premolars extracted and already had a lefort I.

I think it's over.
The "no MSE/expansion after jaw surgery" thing seems to be down to orthos simply not being confident is pulling apart a structure that has already had work done. The expansion providers who are maxfax surgeons (e.g. Li) seem to be much more willing to do it, which makes sense as they have the tools and training to deal with the potential complexities that can come up. Its obviously optimal to expand first and advance later but skilled jaw surgeons are used to doing revision surgeries so its not necessarily going to be a huge deal to them.

The "no MSE/expansion after jaw surgery" thing seems to be down to orthos simply not being confident is pulling apart a structure that has already had work done. The expansion providers who are maxfax surgeons (e.g. Li) seem to be much more willing to do it, which makes sense as they have the tools and training to deal with the potential complexities that can come up. Its obviously optimal to expand first and advance later but skilled jaw surgeons are used to doing revision surgeries so its not necessarily going to be a huge deal to them.
Yes but I have had 4 premolar extracted.

Given that some days ago I stopped expanding, this is the last update on the MSE:

- Day: 48
- Turns: 51
- Expansion: 8.5 mm
- Comments: the two images above are from literally now, just the inclination differs. Overall the process was successful, I have much more room for my tongue now, breathing is easier, the cheekbones are bit more laterally projected, the mid face a bit fuller, and the nose has barely changed. My palate remains very vaulted but at least it has a decent IMW. You may notice the inclination of the screw in the second picture. Once I activated the device, I just heard a noise as if something had just been broken. In reality, I expanded the device more than was expected and it ended up bending. My ortho said today he forgot to tell me this would happen :lul:. For a moment I thought I would need another MSE. Fortunately they have scanned me and the four screws remain where they should be, thus I will just have to wait 4 months so that the two sides of the split maxilla can be fused together. The gum on the right side is a bit inflamed. It does hurt but with time it should subside. Aesthetically the changes have been minimal but I was not expecting radical changes tbh. The plan remains: first fix the bite and the go for trimax + implants.

@Giorgio @NegativeNorwood @Yassin @slop slinger @nobodyspecial369 @noprogressno @AscendingHero @malicieusss @canon5d @ccwwarrior @mvp2v1

• +1
Reactions: canon5d, Yassin, AscendingHero and 6 others
30 millimetres starting point jesus

• So Sad
Given that some days ago I stopped expanding, this is the last update on the MSE:
View attachment 2393573View attachment 2393574
- Day: 48
- Turns: 51
- Expansion: 8.5 mm
- Comments: the two images above are from literally now, just the inclination differs. Overall the process was successful, I have much more room for my tongue now, breathing is easier, the cheekbones are bit more laterally projected, the mid face a bit fuller, and the nose has barely changed. My palate remains very vaulted but at least it has a decent IMW. You may notice the inclination of the screw in the second picture. Once I activated the device, I just heard a noise as if something had just been broken. In reality, I expanded the device more than was expected and it ended up bending. My ortho said today he forgot to tell me this would happen :lul:. For a moment I thought I would need another MSE. Fortunately they have scanned me and the four screws remain where they should be, thus I will just have to wait 4 months so that the two sides of the split maxilla can be fused together. The gum on the right side is a bit inflamed. It does hurt but with time it should subside. Aesthetically the changes have been minimal but I was not expecting radical changes tbh. The plan remains: first fix the bite and the go for trimax + implants.

@Giorgio @NegativeNorwood @Yassin @slop slinger @nobodyspecial369 @noprogressno @AscendingHero @malicieusss @canon5d @ccwwarrior @mvp2v1
Many people report negative aesthetic changes after MSE. What’s your experience like regarding looks change. You touched on it somewhat

So I eventually got the palatal expander I had been long waiting for. The model is the so-called DS expander. It was custom-made from my CBCT scans and installed just today. I have been bleeding for hours, and so while I would like this thread to be a sophisticated one, I feel like I am too tired to write much.

View attachment 2286639

Things I am expecting:

- Move from a 30 mm IMW to 37.5 mm.
- Enhance the midface by making it wider, thus having a bizygomatic width that is larger than the bigonial width, and not the other way around as of now.
- Improve the undereye support thanks to the lateral expansion of the cheekbones.
- Wider smile, ideally it should be a 10-teeth smile.

I hope to update the forum regularly on the process, like showing the resulting diastema and what effects it has exerted on my face aesthetics. I will be taking any question you may have.
Temper your expectations.

• +1
Palate looks much better now than before, great improvement!

• +1
Reactions: jfbjfb and Giorgio
Many people report negative aesthetic changes after MSE. What’s your experience like regarding looks change. You touched on it somewhat
Out of the hypothesis I formulated initially, some of them have been validated and some have not. For instance, the cheekbones are a bit more laterally projected, I have expanded the palate the millimeters I was hoping for, the smile is wider, but the under eye support has not improved a single bit. In terms of aesthetics, assuming a sealed mouth, the changes are minimal. Some people tend to view MSE as a transformational device that will all of a sudden provide them with model tier cheekbones, but the reality is far from it. In my case I am most happy about the lateral projection of the zygomatic process. Specially on my right side, my cheekbone was sunken, which caused the bitemporal width to be wider than the bizygomatic width. The change in my face silhouette looks something like this (poorly drawn but you get the idea):

The midface has become a bit fuller, which is ideal in my case. Some people report ending up with a bigger nose. In my opinion this is probably the biggest looksmin associated with MSE. It tends to happen if you get significant amounts of anterior expansion. Ironically I had more anterior than posterior expansion as you can infer from taking a look at the before and after pictures below. However, my nose has remained almost the same, it is even hard for me to notice the difference. Maybe when the diastema was larger I got the feeling it had been widen a bit, but now it is imperceptible.

I do not think MSE alone has the capability of ascending someone a ton. But on the other hand it can help indirectly at fixing some other things. For example, I have a quite extreme open bite, a very bad chin, and an exceedingly long lower third. Expanding with the MSE is the first step towards fixing my bite orthodontically. Then, if the orthodontist delivers on what he planned, he will be able to give me a nice occlusion. This will in turn bring the chin a bit forward and improve somewhat my gonial angle. (Disclaimer: I am not coping by saying orthodontics can fix my problems. I know for a fact I will need trimax. This was just an explanation on the slight improvements one could expect in such a situation).

When it comes into the smile, the change is quite noticeable. My arch is wider and as a consequence the buccal corridors are minimized. There are several aspects yet to be fixed, such as the canines given that they are interiorly inclined and taller than desired. I would say that being able to smile without sensing a feeling of inferiority due to the extremely narrow palate I had is alleviating.

In terms of function, I can breathe much better during the night and wake up feeling more refreshed. It should also become easier to maintain proper tongue posture once the expander is removed.

So all in all I would recommend everyone with a narrow palate to get MSE but at the same time to remind them it will not ascend them hard.

• +1
Reactions: 5'7 zoomer, nobodyspecial369, AscendingHero and 1 other person
soon a month, can you make a small update?

soon a month, can you make a small update?
So not a lot of changes have happened during this time. Below you can see what my palate looks like. Pretty much the same as before but without the inflammation. I have had a relatively nice anterior expansion and in terms of width, the canines have to be tilted outwards, so horizontally-wise the arch will look a bit better. The thing is, we have to wait about 3 months for the bone to fuse. During this time it is a matter of moving the lower teeth with braces to do some work before the aligners.

I first went to the orthodontist to fix the width problem I had, but I am now realizing the vertical issue is perhaps even more concerning. The ortho was also more concerned about my open bite than my narrow palate. Look at this severe open bite. The plan is to get corticotomies in the lower teeth and aligners to fix this open bite. The verticality of my lower third is supposed diminish, and my chin should move forward as a result of getting a fine occlusion. Then the vision remains: plan implants + potentially trimax from this new baseline.

• +1
Reactions: Debetro
So not a lot of changes have happened during this time. Below you can see what my palate looks like. Pretty much the same as before but without the inflammation. I have had a relatively nice anterior expansion and in terms of width, the canines have to be tilted outwards, so horizontally-wise the arch will look a bit better. The thing is, we have to wait about 3 months for the bone to fuse. During this time it is a matter of moving the lower teeth with braces to do some work before the aligners.

View attachment 2434516

I first went to the orthodontist to fix the width problem I had, but I am now realizing the vertical issue is perhaps even more concerning. The ortho was also more concerned about my open bite than my narrow palate. Look at this severe open bite. The plan is to get corticotomies in the lower teeth and aligners to fix this open bite. The verticality of my lower third is supposed diminish, and my chin should move forward as a result of getting a fine occlusion. Then the vision remains: plan implants + potentially trimax from this new baseline.

View attachment 2434543
How is your palate expansion going on ? Are you also expanding mandibular too ??

How is your palate expansion going on ? Are you also expanding mandibular too ??
As of now the suture has fused but we are further expanding at the alveolar bone level with corticotomies in the upper arch. This will help at having a slightly wider arch and getting rid of the buccal corridors I still have. The process will take a few months due to the nature of aligners but I hope to update you all towards summer once this is finished.

As of now the suture has fused but we are further expanding at the alveolar bone level with corticotomies in the upper arch. This will help at having a slightly wider arch and getting rid of the buccal corridors I still have. The process will take a few months due to the nature of aligners but I hope to update you all towards summer once this is finished.
Is corticomy for mandibular(lower jaw ) better than msdo(dame) , will corticomy widen your chin too ?

Crazy how they do this stuff. I got similar results hard mewing like Salludon 24:7 for 3 years in a row

Is corticomy for mandibular(lower jaw ) better than msdo(dame) , will corticomy widen your chin too ?
Corticotomies move the teeth at the alveolar bone level. In fact, this is the bone they are cutting in the procedure. This will relieve crowding as teeth will have more space but the underlying bone will remain the same. So to answer the question, it will not affect your chin, and msdo is more promising if you want real change in the mandible. I would only recommend corticotomies to fix a dental problem

Corticotomies move the teeth at the alveolar bone level. In fact, this is the bone they are cutting in the procedure. This will relieve crowding as teeth will have more space but the underlying bone will remain the same. So to answer the question, it will not affect your chin, and msdo is more promising if you want real change in the mandible. I would only recommend corticotomies to fix a dental problem
I have wide face but my pallet is narrow( not straight teeth + I have to adjust my tongue to fix it on upper palate ) so should I do corticomies for upper jaw instead of mse , I also want to get rid of buccal corridors ?

I have wide face but my pallet is narrow( not straight teeth + I have to adjust my tongue to fix it on upper palate ) so should I do corticomies for upper jaw instead of mse , I also want to get rid of buccal corridors ?
Hard to tell without looking at pictures. Having said that, if I were you I would go for corticotomies in case you need moderate levels of expansion, below 5 mm. Ideally you could combine it with bone grafting to have a greater margin of movement (this is technically called SFOT). If you need more than that and want to get close to 1 cm of expansion then MSE may be a better option, assuming your cheekbones are not that protruding.

Hard to tell without looking at pictures. Having said that, if I were you I would go for corticotomies in case you need moderate levels of expansion, below 5 mm. Ideally you could combine it with bone grafting to have a greater margin of movement (this is technically called SFOT). If you need more than that and want to get close to 1 cm of expansion then MSE may be a better option, assuming your cheekbones are not that protruding.
Thank you for your suggestion. Does mse help in getting forward (protruding) cheekbones? , I have high and wide cheekbones but they are flat, I think it is because of narrow palate.

Any update on your situation? How's your corticomies going ?

Thank you for your suggestion. Does mse help in getting forward (protruding) cheekbones? , I have high and wide cheekbones but they are flat, I think it is because of narrow palate.
It can help, but the result is quite hard to predict. My cheekbones got a bit more well defined, but results may be very case-dependent.

Any update on your situation? How's your corticomies going ?
So far so good. The first days were complicated due to all the bloating, but now it is progressing as expected. My bottom teeth start being more aligned and the upper arch is becoming a bit wider, especially on the front as the canines are getting pushed out. I cannot really say much more than that because it has been less than 1 month with them, but I plan on providing updates whenever there is more progress. We are supposed to have a couple more months to move the alveolar bone before the effects of corticotomies vanish, so we will see.

It can help, but the result is quite hard to predict. My cheekbones got a bit more well defined, but results may be very case-dependent.

So far so good. The first days were complicated due to all the bloating, but now it is progressing as expected. My bottom teeth start being more aligned and the upper arch is becoming a bit wider, especially on the front as the canines are getting pushed out. I cannot really say much more than that because it has been less than 1 month with them, but I plan on providing updates whenever there is more progress. We are supposed to have a couple more months to move the alveolar bone before the effects of corticotomies vanish, so we will see.
Damn so does widening the palate increases mouth width too(lips length)? I kinda have narrow lips.

Last edited: