New bone-borne appliance: Facegenics Maxillary Expander (FME) installed on patient

We need a device that expans the PNS more than the ANS so you get all the cheekbone and airway benefits without blowing out your alar base.
Just get Alar cinch suture or manipulate the screws

As long as you can successfully open up the suture and keep it there, tinkering with things like this are much easier

Most orthos will be worried about that for expansion anyways

Just get Alar cinch suture or manipulate the screws

As long as you can successfully open up the suture and keep it there, tinkering with things like this are much easier

Most orthos will be worried about that for expansion anyways
alar cinch is a meme

• JFL
Reactions: AscendingHero
insanely high iq thread holy shit

yea but can you attach a facemask to it? the reason MSE sounds promising is only when it is paired with facemask at 30 degree ccw angle. I like the way the FME expands but if you could have hooks on it for facemask it would be S+ tier
You can on the new version of the device. They even have their own facemask.

@Tasty17 @jfbjfb @pessimistic
@AscendingHero

Huge update to this thread:

Dr Lipkin said in an interview about the FME:

"My concern is that the 6 TADs all along the midline will drag, believe me, even if held straight it'll drag. I'm thinking, if it's placed incorrectly in a very narrow maxilla, the screws will drag and it'll fail."

And this is what happened to the guy that got it:

Screenshot 20230526 234810 Reddit

However, he stated that he overturned the device, which triggered the bending in the first place.

He was the absolute first patient, and FME is just a prototype still. The design is amazing and when they are able to fix the potential bending it will be revolutionary.

A lot of technical discussion I can't be bothered to put here was being made about this in the JawHacks discord. I urge you guys to join if you're interested and want the latest news

https://discord.gg/BBXVu9JR

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: mvp2v1, LongForgotten and Fgsfds
can someone talk more about the piezo tool? can it replace lefort 1? @NegativeNorwood since your online

@Tasty17 who's offering this device?
also, there already are fully skeletal devices such as the TPD or the Power Expander

also, is MSE really tooth-borne, or is the teeth movement the result of not having done a surgical assist and relying on the device alone (or with corticopuncture) to split the suture?

@NegativeNorwood I've heard it mentioned (from some ortho on YouTube don't remember exactly) that the arms attaching to the molars are mostly for alignment and placement, and not to actually direct any force

I think I will contact the german EASE clinic and ask them this directly
P.S. Did you get any useful info from the German EASE clinic wrt molar arm expansion / non-expansion?

• +1
Reactions: Giorgio
Not exactly. Screw drag is caused, among other factors, when the device is not properly placed and when you expand too rapidly. This is mentioned in the Ilya Lipkin video attached above (around minute 6). You pair this with short screws anchored purely in a vertical direction, uncut arms connected to the molars, and you get a recipe for disaster.

On the other hand if you use these modified MSE options, with long screws perpendicular to the bone, surgical assist with the piezo only in the midpalatal suture, placed precisely by the ortho based on CBCT scans, and turn it once a day... Then you get real results -> zygos, undereye support, some IPD gains, wide U shaped palate, fuller lips and airway benefits.

Give me 6 months and I will be proof of this.
Are you on your MSE journey? “Give me 6 months”; How is it going?

P.S. Did you get any useful info from the German EASE clinic wrt molar arm expansion / non-expansion?
no, I never ended up contacting them

Are you on your MSE journey? “Give me 6 months”; How is it going?
Yes, I have already finished expanding and now it is just a matter of waiting some more months to get the bone fused.

You can read the outcome in this post: https://looksmax.org/threads/diary-of-a-palatal-expander-patient.757446/page-3#post-12441808

In short: zygos improved, although not by a ton because I had more anterior than posterior expansion; under eye support remained as bad as it was before, I will need infraorbital implants and maybe fat transfer; no IPD gains as far as I could detect; I got a wider U shaped palate, there has been a nice before and after in this aspect; no change when it comes to the lips, they are already full; and airway benefits have been noticeable, breathing becomes much easier.

I would say doing MSE for the sole purpose of improving the aesthetics is suboptimal. You could get a segmental lefort and implants to get a wider palate and fuller midface, with much more control and less uncertainty.

• Love it
Reactions: Luis
SARPE with Power Expander (or any BAME style expander) and alar cinch should be the winning combo in theory (for avoiding nasal and cheekbone widening and achieving even palatal expansion).
Are you saying SABAME (Surgicallt assisted BAME) allows an alar cinch AND allows BOTH zygo and palate expansion or that the zygos aren't getting widened due to SARPE style cut? This was vague to me.

Looking at Varela myself. And wtf is protraction?