Blue Ocean Strategy is Outdated

noodlelover

noodlelover

Sphinx
"Blue ocean strategy" is common business advice. To find a new niche, so you have less competition.

It's outdated imho (and from my experience).

The world is now oversaturated with companies, and hyper competitive. If there isn't already several successful companies within a niche, chances are it's because there's not a big enough market for that niche idea.

You could get lucky with your idea, and maybe it will be a hit, but chances are you'll be creating a product that no one wants. A better base, would be to do market research and look at what's already succeeding.

So the exact opposite of blue ocean strategy. Blue ocean strategy is like playing the slot machines. You may win, but it is objectively a bad strategy.

MVP (Minimum Viable Product), is another common piece of business advice that's shit. Except in very rare cases, people won't pay for some brand new product idea, that doesn't exist. You are wasting time, when you could have gotten a product idea that succeeds, much faster doing market research.

But this kind of business advice doesn't sell books, and doesn't make the "guru" spouting it off sound as brilliant as blue ocean strategy, and minimum viable product.

And this doesn't only apply to small businesses, and solo-businesses (although it absolutely does apply to solo-businesses), it also applies to massive corporations. The biggest companies in the world that make the most money were not knew ideas. They are slight improvements on existing ideas. Though they market themselves as their products being innovated and ground breaking, there was always some one who came before that was making money with the idea first.

My favorite example of this is Mr. Beast (Highest grossing youtuber), that noticed a certain kind of video was doing very well on youtube, then just made that specific kind of video and tweaked variables doing A/B testing to scale up his income. His thumbnails and titles were made that way too.

• +1
Reactions: SharpOrange, russiancelreturns, UrGirlsMcm and 2 others
Minimum viable product makes no sense to me? Do i dont Understand something? Anyway its Not gonna Work, as No strategy works

Bos is bs

In Other words, im too dumb to Understand what Minimum viable product means. Cannot Understand the Wikipedia Definition

In Other words, im too dumb to Understand what Minimum viable product means. Cannot Understand the Wikipedia Definition

Minimum viable product is when you make the simplest possible version of the product you want to sell, and try to sell that.

So, say you want to sell weight loss pills. You'd create a website that says "Weight Loss Pills" and has a "Buy" button, and then you'd drive traffic to the website with Ads, and see if people click the buy button. In this case, even before creating a product.

The strategy of MVP is you can quickly try out product ideas to find out what people will pay for.

But the world is too competitive for that to work anymore. No one is going to click on adds. They won't buy your product if you don't have good reviews and a popular brand.

You can't start with an MVP anymore, you need to start with a good product, and a good marketing campaign. It's essentially outdated advice, that maybe worked when the internet was a less competitive place.

• Love it
  • +1
Reactions: chadintraining and _MVP_
The biggest companies in the world that make the most money were not knew ideas. They are slight improvements on existing ideas
Yes, the best business ideas come from improving on something that already exists

This is what most should try to achieve, as it proves there is already demand with potential for improvement

• +1
Reactions: noodlelover
"Blue ocean strategy" is common business advice. To find a new niche, so you have less competition.

It's outdated imho (and from my experience).

The world is now oversaturated with companies, and hyper competitive. If there isn't already several successful companies within a niche, chances are it's because there's not a big enough market for that niche idea.

You could get lucky with your idea, and maybe it will be a hit, but chances are you'll be creating a product that no one wants. A better base, would be to do market research and look at what's already succeeding.

So the exact opposite of blue ocean strategy. Blue ocean strategy is like playing the slot machines. You may win, but it is objectively a bad strategy.

MVP (Minimum Viable Product), is another common piece of business advice that's shit. Except in very rare cases, people won't pay for some brand new product idea, that doesn't exist. You are wasting time, when you could have gotten a product idea that succeeds, much faster doing market research.

But this kind of business advice doesn't sell books, and doesn't make the "guru" spouting it off sound as brilliant as blue ocean strategy, and minimum viable product.

And this doesn't only apply to small businesses, and solo-businesses (although it absolutely does apply to solo-businesses), it also applies to massive corporations. The biggest companies in the world that make the most money were not knew ideas. They are slight improvements on existing ideas. Though they market themselves as their products being innovated and ground breaking, there was always some one who came before that was making money with the idea first.

My favorite example of this is Mr. Beast (Highest grossing youtuber), that noticed a certain kind of video was doing very well on youtube, then just made that specific kind of video and tweaked variables doing A/B testing to scale up his income. His thumbnails and titles were made that way too.
I agree with you that most fields are oversaturated.
I however think that the blue ocean strategy still applies but to a lesser extent.
Nowadays you can’t really invent something that is completely new but you can for definitely bring unique value when your skills are rare for a specific location and a given time.

For example, I’d rather launch a construction company right now than a cinema.
Blue ocean strategy is not about finding something groundbreaking now but rather just making sure you position yourself in fields where the rivalry with others is reduced

• +1
Reactions: chadintraining
Minimum viable product is when you make the simplest possible version of the product you want to sell, and try to sell that.

So, say you want to sell weight loss pills. You'd create a website that says "Weight Loss Pills" and has a "Buy" button, and then you'd drive traffic to the website with Ads, and see if people click the buy button. In this case, even before creating a product.

The strategy of MVP is you can quickly try out product ideas to find out what people will pay for.

But the world is too competitive for that to work anymore. No one is going to click on adds. They won't buy your product if you don't have good reviews and a popular brand.

You can't start with an MVP anymore, you need to start with a good product, and a good marketing campaign. It's essentially outdated advice, that maybe worked when the internet was a less competitive place.
Actually an interesting concept, thx

• +1
I agree with you that most fields are oversaturated.
I however think that the blue ocean strategy still applies but to a lesser extent.
Nowadays you can’t really invent something that is completely new but you can for definitely bring unique value when your skills are rare for a specific location and a given time.

For example, I’d rather launch a construction company right now than a cinema.
Blue ocean strategy is not about finding something groundbreaking now but rather just making sure you position yourself in fields where the rivalry with others is reduced
blue ocean strategy may apply to businesses who's services are geographically limited, like a construction company.

But if a niche doesn't have several successful competing companies online (that's not geographically limited), it's because there were dozens if not hundreds of people from all over the world that tried to create it but failed because of lack of demand, content algorithms, or some other cause. Basically, not seeing multiple successful people in an area, is a warning that, that area is a deadzone online.

If you only see one successful person in a niche on the web, that still doesn't mean there's enough room for multiple people.

But in the physical world it might be different. I don't have experience to talk about starting a physical business (construction, Cinema, restaurant, etc.)

• +1
Reactions: Pierrot
blue ocean strategy may apply to businesses who's services are geographically limited, like a construction company.

But if a niche doesn't have several successful competing companies online (that's not geographically limited), it's because there were dozens if not hundreds of people from all over the world that tried to create it but failed because of lack of demand, content algorithms, or some other cause. Basically, not seeing multiple successful people in an area, is a warning that, that area is a deadzone online.

If you only see one successful person in a niche on the web, that still doesn't mean there's enough room for multiple people.

But in the physical world it might be different. I don't have experience to talk about starting a physical business (construction, Cinema, restaurant, etc.)
Yeah my point stands mostly for the physical world.
Finding a niche is for sure harder when competing worldwide. That’s why all those dropshipping, e commerce business ideas are pure garbage rn imo

• +1
Yeah my point stands mostly for the physical world.
Finding a niche is for sure harder when competing worldwide. That’s why all those dropshipping, e commerce business ideas are pure garbage rn imo
Yah. One business piece of advice that's timeless is too have a big moat.

If your business idea is too easy to do, and replicate, then you will have so much competition that you likely won't make any money.

Drop Shipping, Ai generated content, and the other hyped up business ideas are going to be oversaturated because it's too easy for any one to do them. Online you want something that has a few competitors successfully making money, but also requires like ten thousand hours just to get started. Otherwise you don't have a moat, and you'll fail to make money most likely.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: onlyhereforthehair and Pierrot