Comprehensive Guide to Fragrancemaxxing (5-step method)

silencio

silencio

2026 i'm coming
The existing Fragrancemaxxing 'Guides' like @pneumocystosis 's megathread (https://looksmax.org/threads/favourite-perfume-megathread.922254/) are not really helpful, because unlike most looksmaxxes, Fragrancemaxxing is subjective. Without smelling a perfume, you can't make an opinion on it. So I decided I'm gonna contribute fixing this problem, helping every fragrance-greycel, with making this thread. Based on 2+ years of collecting, owning 50+ mostly niche perfumes, I came up with this detailed 5-step method on how to choose and buy fragrances.

Fragrancemaxxing Guide

Savag

by @silencio
I. Step 1: Money
Obviously, money is a big factor when it comes to buying fragrances. Decide it beforehands how much money you are willing to spend on smelling good. The pricier fragrance is not necessarily better than the cheap ones. I must mention it early on, that no matter how much you spent on the latest perfume, if you smell like curry and sweat, it doesn't magically make it disappear. By the way fragrance doesn't do shit if you are ugly, it works only if you're at least low MTN.

Now that you know your price range, let's find a store that sells fragrances in that range. Most stores in the mall sell basic designer fragrances, in the 50-100$ price range. My honest tip is to not buy the ones everybody uses, be different for once, or at least try the other ones before buying Dior Sauvage EDT.

If you got more than 100$ to spend, I recommend to research niche perfumeries nearby, Google and Reddit will help with that. Be aware, that in the high-end stores if you act clumsy, they will kick you out after like 1 warning. (happened to me multiple times :feelsuhh:)

3 460x295

II. Step 2: Research

Now that you are done with choosing stores, let's see what is actually tryable in the stores you chose.

First off, you should research on the internet if there is a website to that store, or any reviews or pics of the interior. This helps knowing what brands are available, so you can limit the list of the researchable brands. Just simply going in to the store when you are nearby and remembering the names is also a viable option.

Now with your new knowledge you can start researching on the perfume houses available and it's individual perfumes. Your bestfriend in researching is Fragrantica.
This website is the number 1 most useful website, it got million useful features when it comes to fragrances. Just simply search the perfume name/brand and you will see EVERYTHING about the fragrance from notes to reviews. It helps if you already know if you are looking for a fresh, a green, summer, winter or maybe a sweet fragrance, so you can narrow down the army of fragrances you would have to try.

III. Step 3: Testing

Now here is the real deal: actually smelling something. Try to choose like 10-15 fragrances to try in one session, after that number you WILL go noseblind. I usually have one session, then take a lunch break so my nose can recover, then go again for a second session right after. This the most time-efficient way.

In commercial stores like Sephora, Douglas, there is no real etiquette, you can do whatever you want, My advice is spray the fragrance on a testpaper, wait 5 seconds, then smell it. If on first sniff you like it, put it in the little bag you're carrying so you can smell it later too. If you dislike it, then just throw it away. Don't store your testpapers in a tight pocket, because they'll all smell the same after a while. Ignore everything that the sale assistant says, they don't know shit about fragrances, they are just there so you don't steal and to make you buy overpriced Sauvage. It's beneficial to carry nasal spray and tissues, because if your nose gets clogged it's over.

However, if you are in a niche store, then stay very polite to the saleswoman and reject them kindly when they ask if you need help. Don't make too much noise, don't spray perfume on the counter, and most importantly don't overstay your welcome. If you find one you like, feel free to ask her the notes of the chosen perfume and if there are any similar fragrances to that one. Trust me, they know what they're talking about. When leaving, make up some excuse as why you didn't buy shit, it's rarely beneficial to buy anything in a store if you're a poorcel, they usually sell it way overpriced.

Repeat this process until you find your favorite, that you're actually willing to pay for.

IV. Step 4: Buying

NEVER BUY FROM A REAL LIFE STORE IF YOU WANT TO SAVE MONEY. Online discounters like Notino, FragranceX, FragranceNet, Fragrancebuy, and Jomashop are far more cheap if you catch a good deal (not implying every site listed is 100% legit). Try to find a working coupon, and compare the prices. Check if they ship to your country before doing anything on the site. Do your research on which sites are legit, Reddit is the best place for that. You can also buy fragrance samples like 0.5ml-10ml from websites like DecantX, I use that one all the time and it's legit. (not sponsored or anything JFL)

V. Step 5: Miscellaneous

Congrats if you made it this far, if you have followed my instructions, now you have your dream fragrance! Almost as good as having a girlfriend. :feelswhy:

Watch a video on how to apply perfume, don't overspray. Don't use winter fragrances in 40°C if you want to keep your friends.

This is my first high-effort thread since a long time, so lmk if I messed up anything.
Angels Share, Star Of The Season, Oajan, Gris Charnel Extrait, Molecule 01

If you have any questions, feel free to DM me. :feelshah:
Tags: @mathis @lebronjames23 @ecig

Attachments

• IMG_4103.jpg
    8.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: albanian_chad, TheMilkMan, BucketCrab and 6 others
cope, I just buy wtv Jeremy fragrance recommends and bitches love my smell

• +1
Reactions: Mewton, AySab, whiteislandpill and 4 others
mirin effort tho
I'm tripping nigga I just spent 3 hours typing and formatting for 0 reps, I'm never making any high effort shit ever again :feelswah:

• +1
Reactions: destrah and PsychoDsk
i will tell you niggers straight up beacuse none of you live where i live, best perfume that got me most compliments and got told i smell unique, oud satin mood, since its expensive i get decants (5ml 10ml) but i plan on buying whole bottle

• +1
Reactions: silencio
why not buy a fragrance that everyone likes and uses? dior sauvage and bleu de chanel are popular for a reason. it makes you more NT and shows you've spend 100$+ on a fragrance (NT and status halo). most men don't even use a fragrance. dior sauvage is only disliked because of its popularity, not because of how it smells. it is way more versatile than something more liked by the community such as dior homme intense.

for example if you're gonna wear l'eau d'issey people may assume you've pissed yourself, while others think it's fresh and smells nice. there's no reason to smell like candy, lipstick or tobacco when some people will be turned off by that smell. dior sauvage is a much safer option and that's exactly why it's better. of course you could wear different fragrances for certain occasions. bleu de chanel is more formal and dior sauvage is more of a casual fragrance.

being different is not a good thing when it comes to fragrances.

• +1
my fragnance thread
> just buy bleu de chanel

jk, good thread.

• +1
The existing Fragrancemaxxing 'Guides' like @pneumocystosis 's megathread (https://looksmax.org/threads/favourite-perfume-megathread.922254/) are not really helpful, because unlike most looksmaxxes, Fragrancemaxxing is subjective. Without smelling a perfume, you can't make an opinion on it. So I decided I'm gonna contribute fixing this problem, helping every fragrance-greycel, with making this thread. Based on 2+ years of collecting, owning 50+ mostly niche perfumes, I came up with this detailed 5-step method on how to choose and buy fragrances.

Fragrancemaxxing Guide

View attachment 2868924

by @silencio
Obviously, money is a big factor when it comes to buying fragrances. Decide it beforehands how much money you are willing to spend on smelling good. The pricier fragrance is not necessarily better than the cheap ones. I must mention it early on, that no matter how much you spent on the latest perfume, if you smell like curry and sweat, it doesn't magically make it disappear. By the way fragrance doesn't do shit if you are ugly, it works only if you're at least low MTN.

Now that you know your price range, let's find a store that sells fragrances in that range. Most stores in the mall sell basic designer fragrances, in the 50-100$ price range. My honest tip is to not buy the ones everybody uses, be different for once, or at least try the other ones before buying Dior Sauvage EDT.

If you got more than 100$ to spend, I recommend to research niche perfumeries nearby, Google and Reddit will help with that. Be aware, that in the high-end stores if you act clumsy, they will kick you out after like 1 warning. (happened to me multiple times :feelsuhh:)

Now that you are done with choosing stores, let's see what is actually tryable in the stores you chose.

First off, you should research on the internet if there is a website to that store, or any reviews or pics of the interior. This helps knowing what brands are available, so you can limit the list of the researchable brands. Just simply going in to the store when you are nearby and remembering the names is also a viable option.

Now with your new knowledge you can start researching on the perfume houses available and it's individual perfumes. Your bestfriend in researching is Fragrantica.
This website is the number 1 most useful website, it got million useful features when it comes to fragrances. Just simply search the perfume name/brand and you will see EVERYTHING about the fragrance from notes to reviews. It helps if you already know if you are looking for a fresh, a green, summer, winter or maybe a sweet fragrance, so you can narrow down the army of fragrances you would have to try.

Now here is the real deal: actually smelling something. Try to choose like 10-15 fragrances to try in one session, after that number you WILL go noseblind. I usually have one session, then take a lunch break so my nose can recover, then go again for a second session right after. This the most time-efficient way.

In commercial stores like Sephora, Douglas, there is no real etiquette, you can do whatever you want, My advice is spray the fragrance on a testpaper, wait 5 seconds, then smell it. If on first sniff you like it, put it in the little bag you're carrying so you can smell it later too. If you dislike it, then just throw it away. Don't store your testpapers in a tight pocket, because they'll all smell the same after a while. Ignore everything that the sale assistant says, they don't know shit about fragrances, they are just there so you don't steal and to make you buy overpriced Sauvage. It's beneficial to carry nasal spray and tissues, because if your nose gets clogged it's over.

However, if you are in a niche store, then stay very polite to the saleswoman and reject them kindly when they ask if you need help. Don't make too much noise, don't spray perfume on the counter, and most importantly don't overstay your welcome. If you find one you like, feel free to ask her the notes of the chosen perfume and if there are any similar fragrances to that one. Trust me, they know what they're talking about. When leaving, make up some excuse as why you didn't buy shit, it's rarely beneficial to buy anything in a store if you're a poorcel, they usually sell it way overpriced.

Repeat this process until you find your favorite, that you're actually willing to pay for.

NEVER BUY FROM A REAL LIFE STORE IF YOU WANT TO SAVE MONEY. Online discounters like Notino, FragranceX, FragranceNet, Fragrancebuy, and Jomashop are far more cheap if you catch a good deal (not implying every site listed is 100% legit). Try to find a working coupon, and compare the prices. Check if they ship to your country before doing anything on the site. Do your research on which sites are legit, Reddit is the best place for that. You can also buy fragrance samples like 0.5ml-10ml from websites like DecantX, I use that one all the time and it's legit. (not sponsored or anything JFL)

Congrats if you made it this far, if you have followed my instructions, now you have your dream fragrance! Almost as good as having a girlfriend. :feelswhy:

Watch a video on how to apply perfume, don't overspray. Don't use winter fragrances in 40°C if you want to keep your friends.

This is my first high-effort thread since a long time, so lmk if I messed up anything.

this is the worst thread ive ever seen im making a 10x better one

• +1
i will tell you niggers straight up beacuse none of you live where i live, best perfume that got me most compliments and got told i smell unique, oud satin mood, since its expensive i get decants (5ml 10ml) but i plan on buying whole bottle
It's a good fragrance but I don't like rose enough to consider buying it.

ew why the fuck do you put that artificial shit on you? disgusting.

• +1
why not buy a fragrance that everyone likes and uses? dior sauvage and bleu de chanel are popular for a reason. it makes you more NT and shows you've spend 100$+ on a fragrance (NT and status halo). most men don't even use a fragrance. dior sauvage is only disliked because of its popularity, not because of how it smells. it is way more versatile than something more liked by the community such as dior homme intense.

for example if you're gonna wear l'eau d'issey people may assume you've pissed yourself, while others think it's fresh and smells nice. there's no reason to smell like candy, lipstick or tobacco when some people will be turned off by that smell. dior sauvage is a much safer option and that's exactly why it's better. of course you could wear different fragrances for certain occasions. bleu de chanel is more formal and dior sauvage is more of a casual fragrance.

being different is not a good thing when it comes to fragrances.
Cope, no one can tell what you're wearing like with shoes for example, they only know if you smell good or not. Wearing a fragrance you actually like makes you feel better, therefore you'll be more NT and low-inhib.

If you wear any other fragrance, and not Sauvage or BDC, you can still smell mass appealing, in some cases for less money.

Fragrancemaxxing Guide

View attachment 2868924

by @silencio

Unironically tiktok actually can be a good place to find fragrances. Just not the “overused” ones like Jpg and swy

• +1
Unironically tiktok actually can be a good place to find fragrances. Just not the “overused” ones like Jpg and swy
Yeah there are some good creators, I have Le male le parfum and it smells good for cheap so no hate for jpg. Ultra male is good tho.

Does it work for hot summer weather? What climate do you live in?
It's more a cold weather fragrance, you would suffocate everyone in the summer with it

• So Sad
Reactions: Brus Wane

Fragrancemaxxing Guide

View attachment 2868924

by @silencio

Versace eros the best

• JFL

Fragrancemaxxing Guide

View attachment 2868924

by @silencio

perfume is literally just compliment fishing

where anything and if you look good foids will compliment yoy

• +1
perfume is literally just compliment fishing

where anything and if you look good foids will compliment yoy
Yeah it's just the cherry on the top if you have money. I mentioned that in the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back