Convincing Maxillofacial Surgeons to Perform Distraction Osteogenesis over Bimax

ImpressionableYouth

ImpressionableYouth

CWCVille Resident
The last maxillofacial surgeon I had been closely working with to solve my Class III Malocclusion flat out refused the idea of distraction osteogenesis over bimax, due to the "possibility of imprecise results", so I've been contacting other surgeons from around my area and a few other states to see if I might get a different opinion from one of them.

To me, it just makes so much sense to move forward with DO over Bimax since the devices they install will slowly move the jaws forward, so you could get even more advancement unlike Bimax which really starts to become unstable after a certain point.

Let's not forget the horrific recovery process that happens after bimax, where you get your mouth wired shot, you're vomiting blood, liquid diet, and barely functioning for the next 6 weeks.

Meanwhile, Distraction Osteogenesis uses similar cuts to Bimax but has far less pain and swelling, shorter recovery time, people say it's about the same level of discomfort as tightening your braces, and it's an outpatient procedure, whereas with Bimax you HAVE to stay in the hospital after the surgery.

My question for you guys is: What could I do to help my case for Distraction Osteogenesis to improve my chances when I'm talking to maxillofacial surgeons? I really am trying to avoid bimax and just get DO for both upper jaw and mandible.

Bonus question: Are there any doctors in the US that are actually open to Distraction Osteogenesis from the very beginning and don't need much convincing? Hope that there is.

• +1
Reactions: Gaia262, SexyMofo and Obey
How much does it cost compared to a bimax

Bonus question: Are there any doctors in the US that are actually open to Distraction Osteogenesis from the very beginning and don't need much convincing?
no

• So Sad
Reactions: ImpressionableYouth
Man Dr.Vaughn offered it to me without me even asking.

• Love it
How much does it cost compared to a bimax

Considering that it's less operating time and no extended hospital stay, probably less than a bimax.

That is his phone number.

Attachments

• CC6BA19C-BA3E-476B-A4AD-4E9E773C54E5.png
    CC6BA19C-BA3E-476B-A4AD-4E9E773C54E5.png
    139.6 KB · Views: 22
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Deleted member 6403 and ImpressionableYouth
That is his phone number.

Holy shit dude, you're actually the best and have saved me from months of running around in circles trying to figure something out. I really appreciate it!

Do you mind if I DM you?

Holy shit dude, you're actually the best and have saved me from months of running around in circles trying to figure something out. I really appreciate it!

Do you mind if I DM you?
Go for it.

• +1
You obviously don’t understand distraction osteogenesis for what it is. It’s still full jaw surgery. Distraction after the fact could be viewed as a worse recovery.

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: Darkstrand and ImpressionableYouth
You obviously don’t understand distraction osteogenesis for what it is. It’s still full jaw surgery. Distraction after the fact could be viewed as a worse recovery.

I am aware that it's still the same Lefort 1 cuts as well as cuts used in the BSSO but I don't see any sources mention anything about splints or bands, or anything similar to the recovery associated with the traditional bimax.

I would love to learn more about the procedure, so if you'd like to share about it, I would appreciate it. I tried to learn about it more from a maxfac but the last doctor I spoke with shut me down immediately so I didn't have a chance to discuss the procedure in depth with him.

• +1
Reactions: Be_ConfidentBro
The last maxillofacial surgeon I had been closely working with to solve my Class III Malocclusion flat out refused the idea of distraction osteogenesis over bimax, due to the "possibility of imprecise results", so I've been contacting other surgeons from around my area and a few other states to see if I might get a different opinion from one of them.

To me, it just makes so much sense to move forward with DO over Bimax since the devices they install will slowly move the jaws forward, so you could get even more advancement unlike Bimax which really starts to become unstable after a certain point.

Let's not forget the horrific recovery process that happens after bimax, where you get your mouth wired shot, you're vomiting blood, liquid diet, and barely functioning for the next 6 weeks.

Meanwhile, Distraction Osteogenesis uses similar cuts to Bimax but has far less pain and swelling, shorter recovery time, people say it's about the same level of discomfort as tightening your braces, and it's an outpatient procedure, whereas with Bimax you HAVE to stay in the hospital after the surgery.

My question for you guys is: What could I do to help my case for Distraction Osteogenesis to improve my chances when I'm talking to maxillofacial surgeons? I really am trying to avoid bimax and just get DO for both upper jaw and mandible.

Bonus question: Are there any doctors in the US that are actually open to Distraction Osteogenesis from the very beginning and don't need much convincing? Hope that there is.
boyo can u tell me the results im 17M with class III malocclusion as well hope you still are around to answer jfl