Custom plates for bimax

D

DistortedPenguin

Iron
Is there a consensus on if custom plates are worth it for bimax? I can have them for my surgery for an extra €6000.

From what I gather, they slightly decrease the risk of nerve damage, and allow for a very high level of accuracy in terms of replicating the surgical plan, but I’d assume deviation would still be quite negligible with a skilled surgeon.

A surgeon I spoke to said custom plates would mostly be an advantage for him, making the surgery easier, but that it being easier for him would be an advantage for me.
I suppose because he’s less likely to fuck up? Are custom plates likely to protect me from a botch?

The accuracy and stability measurements, using 11 anatomical references, both demonstrated more accurate results in the custom plates group. The mean difference of accuracy for the study group (0.485 ± 0.280 mm) was significantly lower than in the control group (1.213 ± 0.716 mm). The mean operation time (6.83 ± 0.72 h) in the control group was longer than in the custom plates group (5.76 ± 0.43 h) .

• +1
Reactions: DistortedPenguin and depressionmaxxing
Why Custom Plates give Superior Results
In using custom jaw surgery plates we are able to overcome the many deficiencies associated with traditional forms of jaw surgery.
  1. We are able to more accurately perform the proposed jaw surgery to achieve the planned outcome.
  2. We are able to confidently achieve movements that have previously been viewed as difficult and complex with greater stability.
  3. There is no guesswork required during the actual surgical procedure. If the plates lock into place we know the bones are positioned correctly as per the treatment plan.
  4. We can be confident in causing no/minimal damage to important anatomical structures

• +1
Reactions: DistortedPenguin and depressionmaxxing
Is there a consensus on if custom plates are worth it for bimax? I can have them for my surgery for an extra €6000.

From what I gather, they slightly decrease the risk of nerve damage, and allow for a very high level of accuracy in terms of replicating the surgical plan, but I’d assume deviation would still be quite negligible with a skilled surgeon.

A surgeon I spoke to said custom plates would mostly be an advantage for him, making the surgery easier, but that it being easier for him would be an advantage for me.
I suppose because he’s less likely to fuck up? Are custom plates likely to protect me from a botch?
They're required for almost all people so you will never find enough data on this, i'd just get them and not annoy the surgeon