Definitive Fasting guide (will keep updating). Leanmaxxers GTFIH

S

siliconvalleycel

Fasting advocate
Alright guys, we all know that leanmaxxing is step 0 in any looksmaxing plan.
If you're not lean or trying to get lean, you're not even trying - just like with skincare, if you're not using sunscreen you're not even trying (I bet @benignice would endorse this statement).

With that being said, I've seen some pretty outdated "advice" with regards to getting lean on this site:
>just eat less bro, -500 cals to keep ur muscles
t. never been over 200lbs
The thing is, just like we don't care if Joe Pencilneck got his squat from 1 to 2 plates following his amazing routine, we don't care about the fatass who lost 10 lbs by "dropping soda" or the beanpole that lost some water weight by "skipping breakfast." We want serious results.

As a man who has experienced great results with fasting (moonface strongfat coper to hollow cheeks), who also has done a lot of independent research on the topic, I'll do my best to convince you, the reader, of at least considering the possibility that fasting can be a useful tool for a lot of people - even if it's not for you.
For me, fasting is by far the best tool to lose weight (bar none, and I've done DNP) while also being the healthiest, as long as you approach it correctly.

I'll structure this in five parts to make it easy to navigate and update, just ctrl+F #X.
  1. The plan (let's start with the good stuff)​
  2. The science (calories in vs. calories out, but with a twist)​
  3. My experience (33yo 6'1 male - 220 lbs 20%? bf ➜ 193 lbs 14% bf in about a month, 185 lbs as of 2020-02-28)​
  4. FAQ​
  5. Changelog​

DISCLAIMER: This is not medical advice, this guide is presented for educational purposes only

#1. THE PLAN

Goal: Complete a 72h fast

Short version for the go-getters:
Stop eating food or caloric beverages, for at least 24h. Next week try again for longer and keep trying until you hit 72h.

That's it, as barebones as can be. Live your life normally (study, gym, work, etc).
This is safe for anyone who isn't horribly unhealthy, or do you think your ancestors had 3 square meals every day? Here's a link for a 382 day fast (not a typo, yes over a year).
(Caveat for diabetics - Type I just don't. Type II you will have to assess just how far gone you are, and tread carefully, go to the science section for an explanation).

Baby steps version:
1. Get fat adapted - You body needs to "acclimate" itself to using fat as a fuel (to use your own fat). Going keto/carnivore is the easiest way to do this, one to two weeks should be enough for most people 2. Go to the gym and get used to working out fasted - Use it or lose it still applies, and we want to lose fat, not muscle. Doing 16/8 IF is the easiest way to do this, adjust your window so that you workout fasted, 2 weeks is enough 3. Stop eating food or caloric beverages, for at least 24h but ideally 72h since you're already fat-adapted and train fasted

What about Snake Juice?
Snake juice is just a silly name for homemade electrolyte water, using dirt cheap ingredients anyone can find (table salt and potassium). It's used to replenish your electrolytes (duh) and makes the whole process a bit less sucky. Snake juice is not actual juice, or snake oil. Juice fasts are retarded, extreme low calories (like juice fasts) are retarded.
Replenishing salts only becomes a necessity on fasts extending 72h. I'll repeat, replenishing electrolytes is very important if you intend on going past 72h but that is outside the scope of this guide.
The baseline recipe is
  • 5g (1tsp) table salt​
  • 5g (1tsp) potassium chloride​
  • 2L of water​
Sip throughout the day, adjust to your needs accordingly (check the FAQ for tips and how to find potassium in your country). DO NOT put it all in a glass, slam it all then drink water throughout the day, you will shit your guts out. Sip, sip, sip.

Won't I lose all my gains?
You will lose more fat, retain more muscle and feel more energetic with fasting than with calorie restriction, as long as you keep exercising. Why would the body store firewood (fat) and when winter comes, chop down and burn his sofa (muscle)? The answer is: it doesn't.

What to expect:
  • You will be surprised at how well this works and how well you can adapt to it. Fasting basically challenges everything you think you know about metabolism.
  • Anticipate over the long term to average 0.7lb/d loss, or estimate you TDEE in any online calculator and use that divided by 3600.​
  • You will feel really hungry on your usual feeding times, but it will pass in a couple of hours later. Past 48h you may not feel any hunger at all (that is, until you're starting to get <12% lean).​
  • Reduced hunger and cravings after adaptation period (this can take a few days)​
  • Greatly reduced inflammation and reduction of autoimmune symptoms.​
  • Vastly improved insulin sensitivity, potentially reversing type II diabetes (with multiple fasts)​

#2. THE SCIENCE

Protip: click the cogwheel > playback speed > 2x
I'm in a hurry

I have some time

I'm a NEET with hours to spare and a bit of a nerd

Work-in-progress

The gist is:
Caloric restriction will slow your metabolism [ref], fasting will not [ref]

If you undereat (muh calorie deficit) but still eat frequently, spiking insulin, the body will not mobilize fat to burn, it's impossible to mobilize and burn fat with insulin present, so will your body break thermodynamics? Of course not, it will cannibalize your muscle (that it can do with insulin around) and not even spend the calories by pulling a million tricks to reduce your TDEE without you even realizing or having hope to control (dropping body temp is a big one), so you end up hungry, tired with no results, sounds familiar? This has all been known for almost a century and demonstrated multiple times.

#3. MY EXPERIENCE

I'll just paste what I've written in another thread.
I've had quite a positive experience with fasting and the most important aspect is:
NO FOOD is vastly superior to LITTLE FOOD.

Most people see fasting as caloricrestrictionmaxx, as in: "Fasting for one day and eating normally the other 6 will give you the same results as spreading the deficit equally around the days"
This is 100% wrong and I say that as someone who ardently preached Calories in - Calories out.
Turns out Calories out is heavily influenced by Calories in so even though the math checks out it doesn't give you an actionable plan by itself. It's like saying "to win a football match, just score more points than the other team," it's both true and worthless - even worse, if you count on the other team to stay still, your strategy will fail no matter what.
Roughly speaking, metabolic slowdown is a thing with caloric restriction (diet+exercise) [ref], but not with caloric abstinence (fasting) [ref].

A little bit more of explanation [check the science section]

In my experience, the only time in which I've seen weight loss that correlated exactly with the energy deficit was while fasting, and I tried all the memes out there, always keeping high protein (Keto, IF, 8-meal-a-day...): Always the same, worked for a while... then grinded to a halt even accounting for the adjustments due to the (little) weight lost.

With fasting I was losing 1lb (400g) a day every fasting day after the initial water weight drop (about 2 days in), so about 3500 Cals which matched closely my (calculated) TDEE; this rate was maintained for about 22lbs (10kgs) in a little over a month or so.
I was only fasting on weekdays and eating ad lib on weekends, zero hunger after day 2-3 and lots of energy.
I've been running 72s and 48s now because I'm experimenting with higher volume lifting (I lifted normally while fasting when I was over 14% bf, with no problems whatsoever, but I do have a desk job).

33yo male 6'1 (185cm) 220lb (100kg, 20%+ bf) ->193lb (88kg, 14% bf) for reference, and I'll run this for as long as it takes to get single digits bodyfat

TL; DR: Just water fast, don't "eat 500 Cals a day" bs that shit will make you miserable and give subpar results.

#4. FAQ

>It's not sustainable!
It is totally sustainable while you're still a fat fuck, lose the weight then you won't need to sustain it.

>You will develop an eating disorder!
Fasting actually breaks down your current relationship with food , by enabling you to see the difference between being hungry and wanting the pleasure of eating, it's up to you to build a better relationship.

>Can I eat/drink X?
If X has calories, the most likely answer is no. If X has no calories, but sweeteners, you might want to take notice if it makes you hungry after.
Black coffee is usually ok.

>Can I exercise during an extended fast?
Yes you can, no you won't die, drink your snake juice to replenish electrolytes.
Don't drink Gatorade, it has (a lot of) calories and the salt contents are tiny for the price, yes even the zero version.
If you work a physically demanding job, try to start your fast in the weekend so the first 48h of suck are behind you when Monday comes.

>Will I lose muscle?
You won't lose more than you would on a more moderate caloric deficit, and there's reason to believe you would lose even less. Fasting spikes HGH+adrenaline, that will keep your muscles
t. kept a 5 plate deadlift while doing OMAW at 6'1 220lbs for three weeks straight

>I want to take this to 11, what can I do?
You can use metformin, if you can't get metformin you can get berberine (a natural supp that works in a similar manner, has been shown to help with insulin resistance), but it's not necessary.

>I can't find potassium, do I really need it?
Potassium is essential only if you're fasting over 72h. If you can't find it you're an idiot, go to the pharmacy and ask for "salt alternatives for people with high blood pressure."
Yes you must get out of your house and into a brick-and-mortar pharmacy.
Yes you will have to talk to a stranger.

>My SJ tastes horrible and makes me want to vomit, can I slam all salts in a glass then drink water for the rest of the day?
You will have explosive diarrhea when all that concentrated salt solution enters your intestine and pulls all the water out by osmosis, but feel free to try.

>Wouldn't it be better to eat a little instead of fasting?
Short answer: No. Long answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

>My mom/roomate/gf/wife's-boyfriend won't let me fast, what do?
Stand up for yourself, say calmly "I want to try this, I know what I am doing, I will stop if I feel bad, and I would like you to be supportive" <- this last part is key, it defuses the inherent crab-in-a-bucket mentality most people have (even if unaware)

>The max I've gone is 72h I don't think I could ever do OMAW, btw I'm 300lbs
72h is literally the worst it gets, that's how long it takes for most fatties to enter ketosis (ie. when your body is actually burning fat for fuel), but after that is smooth sailing since your body is using mostly fat and there's a lot of it in you. So if you're giving up before hitting a 72, you might be just redoing the worst part of the fast over and over again.
If you're inching closer to single digits bf%, long fasts are not needed and suck because your body actually thinks you might run out of fat and die.

>Won't I get nutrient deficiencies?
Drink your SJ, that's what you will deplete on a long fast, other nutrients will be provided by recycling your own defective cells (autophagy). You also won't be fasting forever.

>TL;DR lol
Just try doing a 48h fast, see how you feel, you won't die or have any long-term damage done (don't you think the human body has evolved to handle 48h without food)?

#5. CHANGELOG
2020-03-10: Genesis

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: JawGuyFatFaceGuy, 5'8manlet, FuckMyLife and 19 others
493a77d4798889efae4228a9f06840ae

he does all this shit aswell
Original 2

Last edited:
  • WTF
Reactions: datboijj
>If you undereat (muh calorie deficit) but still eat frequently, spiking insulin, the body will not mobilize fat to burn, it's impossible to mobilize and burn fat with insulin present, so will your body break thermodynamics? Of course not, it will cannibalize your muscle (that it can do with insulin around) and not even spend the calories by pulling a million tricks to reduce your TDEE without you even realizing or having hope to control (dropping body temp is a big one), so you end up hungry, tired with no results, sounds familiar? This has all been known for almost a century and demonstrated multiple times.

not sure i agree with this tbh, it is contrary to a lot of what I've read and seen previously. I've seen many people do just a slight 500 deficit and get leaner while still retaining the same muscle mass

I've seen many people do just a slight 500 deficit and get leaner while still retaining the same muscle mass
I don't doubt you, but how fat were they when they started? I've only seen caloric restriction work on people that had little to lose.

hiqh iq thread, thanks.

• +1
Reactions: 5'8manlet
Good thread. I usually eat five days, water fast two days. Working out the day after fasting are intense

I managed to lose like 6 kg in 4 day of water fasting, but after that its harder to lose ( I was already at a healthy weight before). But even with that water fasting is the most effective and fastest way of getting lean so I will continue doing that.

Dry fasting is little bit more effective if you are strong willed but I cant work out while dehydrated and I always end up over eating while dry fasting in Ramadan.

• +1
Reactions: Basedtheticz
Writing a quick update [ISPOILER]JFL I thought I could keep editing the OP[/ISPOILER]
I've stated that I planned to keep rolling 48s and 72s until single digits. This has now changed due to two factors:

1. Corona-chan, because no gym. At least I have a squat stand and some weights
2. I did an experiment with a week of what I've been calling structured eating (I have commented about this in other threads), basically I ate at a small surplus, with carbs, but keeping carbs away from fat and after working out, while consuming fat later in the day, with every meal being high in protein. Everything inside an 8-hour eating window.
I also wanted to pull back a bit of fasting, since I'm aware that fasting lowers testosterone and other hormones, but only during the fast (like an investment, where you have negative returns in the beginning to reap great rewards in the future), so I wanted to see how fast I would rebound when I started eating "normally" again.
This last 1-week experiment turned into a 3-week experiment, when I saw that I was gaining lean mass with quality, no bloat and a simple workout schedule (I don't gauge by scale, only by how hollow my cheeks look - I may sound obsessed and maybe I am, but moonface never again). In the meantime, my HbA1C has gone down from 4.9% to 4.7%.
I do plan on fasting again to finish my journey towards single digits (I don't even think anything else would work as well)

Still, if you're somewhat fat I strongly recommend experimenting with fasting.

Intermittent fasting works very well for getting insulin levels low and if you stick to it consistently you can easily lose a decent amount of weight.

• +1
Reactions: siliconvalleycel
Screenshot 20200721 184813

Yes bro, just fast

Screenshot 20200721 181001 comgoogleandroidyoutube

Just Inject tren ded srs

Great thread thanks man. What are your thoughts on having something like G2 (Gatorade without calories or sugar) on extended fasts instead of snake juice? Shit tastes horrible ngl

• +1
Great thread thanks man. What are your thoughts on having something like G2 (Gatorade without calories or sugar) on extended fasts instead of snake juice? Shit tastes horrible ngl
Tbh the whole SJ thing is more relevant to longer fasts, but Gatorade has very little salts for the price.
Still you can try it.
What I've also tried is to make a concentrated solution in a glass (like instant soup salty), then put it on my table along with a big bottle of water, then I take a sip of the glass then a big gulp of fresh water.

• +1
Reactions: SexyMofo
2 weeks ago I did a 3 days fast. Then I stepped on a scale just to notice 1kg more. Water retention of peace

• JFL
Reactions: datboijj and xefo
Does my body have to acclimatise or can I just throw myself into the deep end?

I’m 148.2 pounds 13.3% bf (12/08/2020)

Will update in 72 hours

• +1
Does my body have to acclimatise or can I just throw myself into the deep end?

I’m 148.2 pounds 13.3% bf (12/08/2020)

Will update in 72 hours
I've adapted pretty quickly, but then again I have been for some time on the low-carb/IF meme before I tried (actual) fasting.
If you're a carb fiend then I'd wager it's hard.

• +1
Reactions: xefo
I've adapted pretty quickly, but then again I have been for some time on the low-carb/IF meme before I tried (actual) fasting.
If you're a carb fiend then I'd wager it's hard.
26 hours in going strong so far

How long should the snake juice last?

What do you mean? you can keep it indefinitely in your fridge, it's just salty water.
i mean over what period of time should one be finished with the bottle? how many sips per min? etc

Can you take vitamins and suplements while fasting? (Ashwagandha, optimen etc..)

i mean over what period of time should one be finished with the bottle? how many sips per min? etc
I personally leave a 1.5L bottle on my desk and sip on it during the day
The important part is to not slam everything in, that will case diarrhea
Can you take vitamins and suplements while fasting? (Ashwagandha, optimen etc..)
Yeah but take notice that some supplements might upset an empty stomach
(obviously don't take supps with calories like protein or fish oil)

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Meximanlet and TheEndHasNoEnd
What do you think of doing OMAD on the 4 days you don't fast? Will it help or be too much?

Did you sip during workouts too?
No, during workouts I drink from the fountain at the gym
What do you think of doing OMAD on the 4 days you don't fast? Will it help or be too much?
OMAD is great, saves a lot of time and if you keep it low carb you can probably extend ketosis as well. You won't lose much if you're already lean-ish though, it's the ultimate maintenance diet, at least until you "reset" your set body weight (a little brosciency, I know).

• +1
Reactions: TheEndHasNoEnd
This might be a good way to lose weight if you're a fat fuck neet that doesn't work nor study. For the average wagecuck this is literally impossible

• +1
Reactions: never_lucky