Does numbness from bimax / trimax always recover with time?

Octavian_Augustus

Octavian_Augustus

L'État, c'est moi
For those who have had it years ago, do you still have lingering numbness that won't seem to get better?

no it recovers why wouldnt it.....that means they did something wrong srs

For those who have had it years ago, do you still have lingering numbness that won't seem to get better?
had it in summer and there is still some numbness in lower lips + chin.

• +1
Reactions: Octavian_Augustus
That's still recent and relatively normal I suppose.

No, it depends from a person to another. All my numbness went away within 1.5 month. I'm still swollen tho.

• +1
Reactions: Octavian_Augustus
Usually it starts to go away after 1 month. After 3 months if you arent 100% you will likely end up with “some” nerve damage. After a year its permanent.

From a BSSO with piezoeletric your chance of getting some nerve damage is 10% on average

If mandible setback the chance is higher. Because of nerve compression in canal.

If too big advancement chance is higher.

If nerve goes down the ramus too close to the outer wall chance is higher.

I dont believe this 10% number and actually think the chance is much bigger due to the reporting bias on the studies.

On objective studies they show the ratio of nerve damage is much much higher even though the patient doesnt think he has it.

Most people get used to the nerve damage and just believe this is the new normal.

• +1
Reactions: adam_ross2549, Tai Lung, ccwarrior and 1 other person
Usually it starts to go away after 1 month. After 3 months if you arent 100% you will likely end up with “some” nerve damage. After a year its permanent.

From a BSSO with piezoeletric your chance of getting some nerve damage is 10% on average

If mandible setback the chance is higher. Because of nerve compression in canal.

I dont believe this 10% number and actually think the chance is much bigger due to the reporting bias on the studies.

On objective studies they show the ratio of nerve damage is much much higher even though the patient doesnt think he has it.

Most people get used to the nerve damage and just believe this is the new normal.
Thanks great answer.

no it recovers why wouldnt it.....that means they did something wrong srs
a lot of patients gets permanent lower lip numbness, its a common side effect.

does living with permanent nerve damage "risky" to some point?

does living with permanent nerve damage "risky" to some point?
Not risky it just sucks. Try going to ortho an asking for anesthesia on lower lip.

You cant brush your teeth properly bcuz you will drool. You cant feel food on your lip so you may be with a mess on your face and wont notice. You may not be able to drink properly.

And thats just anesthesia. The worst is superesthesia.

so if you get a cold thing on your lips you can feel pain, or feel pain with a hot thing.

10% of getting noticeable nerve damage on one of your sides, the rest may get some but will not notice much

• JFL
Reactions: adam_ross2549
Not risky it just sucks. Try going to ortho an asking for anesthesia on lower lip.

You cant brush your teeth properly bcuz you will drool. You cant feel food on your lip so you may be with a mess on your face and wont notice. You may not be able to drink properly.

And thats just anesthesia. The worst is superesthesia.

so if you get a cold thing on your lips you can feel pain, or feel pain with a hot thing.

10% of getting noticeable nerve damage on one of your sides, the rest may get some but will not notice much
so its already rare to get nerve damage but even if u get its rare to notice it? intrusting because i seen a lot of bimax patients complaining about lower lip nerve damage being permanent.

so its already rare to get nerve damage but even if u get its rare to notice it? intrusting because i seen a lot of bimax patients complaining about lower lip nerve damage being permanent.
10% is not rare.

I believe 10% is the number of people with actual relevant alteration on sensation.

The others most likely have it but will get used to it

I think one should see the nerve on the canal and also movement to better predict nerve damage other than just believe the 10% number

• +1
Reactions: Octavian_Augustus and Tai Lung
10% is not rare.

I believe 10% is the number of people with actual relevant alteration on sensation.

The others most likely have it but will get used to it

I think one should see the nerve on the canal and also movement to better predict nerve damage other than just believe the 10% number
I'm psychologically prepared for the fact my osteotomies will probably lead to long lasting consequences on my sensation... Such is life

for everyone who had it theres gonna be temporary numbness for some weeks
but if you end up getting nerve damage from it it's gonna be permanent, and it's pretty common

but who gives a shit, the numbness is not comparable to the suffering of being a chinlet jawcel

• +1
Reactions: temporomandibular32

What would nerve damage lead to?
Loss of sensation, impaired function, chronic pain?
Do you know the chance of chronic pain, I can accept the risk of the other ones easy

Do you know if lefort or BSSO or genio are all equally risky?

• +1
for everyone who had it theres gonna be temporary numbness for some weeks
but if you end up getting nerve damage from it it's gonna be permanent, and it's pretty common

but who gives a shit, the numbness is not comparable to the suffering of being a chinlet jawcel
Agreed I will be getting the surgery no matter the risk

• +1
What would nerve damage lead to?
Loss of sensation, impaired function, chronic pain?
Do you know the chance of chronic pain, I can accept the risk of the other ones easy

Do you know if lefort or BSSO or genio are all equally risky?
Lefort should have no risk unless the surgeon fucks up. Genioplasty should have 0% risk if surgeon is good. Inverted L osteotomy on the mandible should be less than 5% risk (if i recall correctly is arround 3%), BSSO is 10%.

Though inverted L is better for the nerve surgeons dont like doing it.

• +1
Reactions: PrimoMaxxer

I had numbness in one spot for 5-6 years that eventually went away

is the pain tolerable the first days? how long the swelling was there? these are my two concerns.

I can't feel if my nose is running because of rhino, food might fall from my mouth after bimax too. Worth it

is the pain tolerable the first days? how long the swelling was there? these are my two concerns.
pain is not really a huge factor. but the discomfort is huge

• +1
Reactions: humanoidsub7